Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

We have at least a few weird books that are worthy of this thread, but before I go through the boxes of to-sell stuff and the various shelves of stuff we're keeping

So this one, I don't think I've actually opened at all prior to this. I think YES! BUT WHAT DID THEY EAT? was the driving force behind the sale.

It certainly wasn't the, uh, parts talking about how nice a guy General Custer was and how he liked bear steaks for dinner.

Same book, now:

drat, Sven.

Okay, next up, some little old ladies from Minnesota. Timeframe, unknown.

My molars are already rattling just reading that one. (edit: I'm being told by my partner as I'm posting this that that's just what Russian Tea is. I've never heard of the stuff before. Yikes.)

If you like donuts...

...this piece has you covered.

This section in the back reads like someone built a markov bot for household tips.

And in case you need to know how many heads of lettuce it takes to feed fifty people, here you go:

This next one, addressed to a Mrs. Homemaker, comes from an unexpected place, as the fifties became the sixties:

New Jersey. (that logo on the back is seriously devo though)

Last but not least, we got to Binghamton, NY in the mid-late 80s for a collection of recipes from guys who completely look the part of mid-late 80s radio guys. I should know, I used to work in radio, we can smell our own.

Two Endicott radio amateurs back in 1927 had an idea. A radio idea.

Here comes the murderer's row to get the led out live on drive time at five on your home for less talk, more rock --- wait, this station has a polka show? A SIX-HOUR-LONG POLKA SHOW?

I have no idea if this guy's wine pick is classy or trashy, I don't drink. But I suspect the latter.

More stuff later, probably some real trashy books we bought for like a dollar because it was funny. Maybe some batshit RPG stuff, but that seems a bit offtopic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Huge long shot but have you ever considered emailing the school and asking if anyone knows if that recipe book still exists?

I too love these local books because food can be extremely personal and the recipes chosen can sometimes provide insight into the lives of individuals or groups in a very specific era in a particular place. I showed my mother the “pigs in a blanket” and she happily shared memories of a similar dish her first boyfriend’s mother would make, sans tomato soup but with veal in addition to the other meats and layered with sauerkraut. We may give it a shot sometime soon.

Definite huge long shot, because those will happen with some regularity, whenever the PTA goes long enough to forget that they did one recently, or if there's a craft fair coming up and they want to have something to sell on their information table.

We just generally called it "stuffed cabbage."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

It's not too interesting to look at (blank cover but for the title), but the weirdest book I own is a US army medical textbook called War Psychiatry, all about precisely when, how and how much to drug up soldiers. I'll post contents if people want.

do that poo poo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh, huh, the Spaceballs book is by Jovial Bob (R.L.) Stine. Neat.

I picked up a couple of amazing finds last week, I don't have time to take photos right now, but hopefully soon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Apparently I do have time to take photos.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Although I doubt it, it is possible Lemmy appears as a character in the book. I will withhold judgment until I know for sure.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I wonder what happens when they start running out of major cities?

Wilkes-Barre Wipeout
Stroudsburg Showdown
Pflugerville Pflare-up
Terror in Terre Haute
Raritan Run-Around
Sheboygan Shenanigans

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this image speaks to me

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Confuse a Rubber Tramp with a Ding at your own peril.

I honestly hadn't realized rubber tramps were an actual thing - I'd only ever encountered the term in this song before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d9SeoTQYnw

(which I haven't listened to in literally almost twenty years, come to think of it)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I just finished The Metamorphoses the other night and it was nowhere near as horny weird as advertised. Also, it kept kicking my rear end because I've read basically no Greek and a bunch of the footnotes are just things like "this happened in chapter blah of the aeneid" or "compare to virgil's version in blah" and it's like thanks for making me feel dumber than I already am, penguin classics.

I also finished Wind, Sand and Stars/Terre des Hommes (in english, I already said I was dumb, keep up), which was fantastic, but I couldn't really hang with it through the final chapter, which I found so tonally inconsistent and difficult to follow, but I also don't know much more about the spanish civil war than 'generalissimo francisco franco is bravely holding on in his fight to remain dead', so...

anyway, now that I've done some quality reading, I need to get back to that hawkwind novel

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Monstrous hands reach out for butthole UFO

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Abraham Lincoln collection

I found a different printing of those at an estate sale once - sadly, I didn't know I was buying just the last four books. I wonder if I didn't search the house hard enough. I really want to get the first two in the same printing to have a complete matching set.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oh, that's what that dude's work looks like when he's not actively trying to destroy me

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

for the life of me I can't figure out the last word in that inscription

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i don't generally post just to say "that's some good posting right there" but, yeah, good stuff