Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

china bot posted:

:same:, what will be the dated bedtime reference for this generation's children?

Whatta you mean you don’t want to go to bed? Just ‘cause Uncle Jared from Subway is staying with us a while is not sensible. Your Uncle Aatrek promised to let you scootch over to the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Barudak posted:

That game introduced EX moves to Street Fighter and fighting games as a whole while Precious the novel uh

I really liked that girl in “The Blind Side.”

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
The Fonz and Ritchie look happy and Potsie is about to throw gang signs.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dixville posted:

Ok I've never heard the term "hair pie" for vagina. And I've heard a lot of slang terms for vagina.

“Hair pie!”
Takashi, Revenge of the Nerds

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I played a two year game of Toon with basically Kool-Aid Man as Juggernaut. His magic-blocking helm was a plastic top with a straw keeping his, well, “contents” from spilling out.

He was loved by children everywhere who gathered near Juggoman and if the fight had been longer than ten minutes the kids would jump in and beat J’s enemies to death.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Truly, the darkest, spookiest, and most evil of crafts.

Quilting with Cthulhu

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Barudak posted:

Dont poke the dude sleeping with a stick jesus how rude are you Satin Chaps

Satan Chaps are already in the process of going to hell for being gay. We discussed the duality at our Union meeting last week at the dick-sucking factory. Some folks outside said we were going to hell too. I barely had time to spit that BBC out of my mouth. My grandad was a cock-sucker, my Dad was a cock-sucker, and I am a cock-sucker.

Actually wait: In all this dick-sucking, where did Dad and I get borned?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Calm.oops

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

gleebster posted:

What? Oh, Liartown. I was momentarily excited by the prospect of a book about the Long Island Railroad.

It always comes back to trains.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
No pictures because I only have one and it’s put up in a box in my book storing room: does anyone know anything about a group of paperback novels about John Constantlne? Every place I look has the graphic novels, but the nurses in the nervous hospital would completely freak the gently caress out if they thumbed through my backpack during admission. I’m talking about trade paperback novels, of which I actually have one. I have been looking for even one of these for at least fifteen years because I didn’t realize the Hellblazer comics were the same guy. The novels showed deeper into JC’s thought processes and was really, really good. It was also not based on a comic, but a fresh story like the movie (but better).

Cross-posting to the white whale thread, too.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Jordan's got me beat with an actual link, but I answered this over in White Whale, too. You want "mass market paperback", not "trade paperback" if you're looking for just words, no pictures.

Also I'm fond of John Shirley's cyberpunk short story stuff, so I'm curious to check these out!

Yeah I got a PM with links to War Lord and Subterranean. I was simply using the wrong words in my searches. War Lord is the one I have now, but I never ever even saw Subterranean. Ordered it last night at 2:00am along with a paperback copy of divabot’s (David Gerard) new book. Can’t wait to get ‘em and read!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Happy Birthday!

Now THAT’S a coffee table book I would be proud to display at home.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Tac Dibar posted:

Man, what I wouldn’t I give to have this in audiobook form as read by Stephen Fry, for example. The dialogues could be between him and Rowan Atkinson, or someone else who could read it with a straight face.

Ian McShane or Brian Cox

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

D-Pad posted:

No way, somebody get this dude to do it:

https://youtu.be/pWyOrbpGCpE

Now that got a belly laugh, and since I am goon, it’s a biiiiig belly!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I have a copy of that! You got that for free? That's a good score.

It inspired another book (also published in 1936), which took things a step further:

WTF? Not posting illustrations? Better step up your posting game, GP! :agesilaus:

In all seriousness illustrations from old “not in mixed company” type books are the best.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

muscles like this! posted:

Thing to know is that book is almost certainly just another kissing manual because "make love" used to be the term instead of "make out." So they don't mean having sex.

Yeah, understood. Kinda like “snagging” has a specific meaning in the UK, but can mean first base to third base to an American.

Everybody in the world knows what “loving” is. The true measurement of the internet’s effect on modern global society :tutbutt:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I know. My iPhone/AwfulApp auto-corrected me. I usually don’t mind, but this one actually inverted the entire word the sentence was about! Apologies.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

lifg posted:

I loved this book as a kid!

Bremen Town Musicians, Ferdinand, There’s a Monster at the End of This Book, Little Black Sambo, many others like this. My Grandma had a ton of books and children’s games from the twenties and thirties in her closet that I devoured and read many times. I don’t know where they ended up, but I’m sure they are in the attic. Too hot to look; I’ll put a notification on my computer to check occasionally and if I find them I’ll definitely scan them for here.
In 2021, what is a librarian going to do with an 90 y/o copy of “Epomonandas?”

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I’m jus’ sayin’…

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

“Rammed and Wrung-out by Cthulhu”
:cthulhu:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

:drat:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I read all about this. Bunch of feminists blowing the whistle to raise awareness on college campuses around the country about this!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

3D Megadoodoo posted:

[everything about it]

I'm always happy to see a fellow Fetlife thread-appreciator these days.
:hfive:

Edit:

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

The narrator gets the story sitting on a park bench from the protagonist, and then some orderlies come up and take him back to the mental hospital!

Worst Forrest Gump sequel ever.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hexwren posted:

i don't generally post just to say "that's some good posting right there" but, yeah, good stuff

It’s like the wholly opposite of a shitpost…and I know it’s probably translation, but the thought of a Native singing “Tra-la-la-la” made me do a double take in the book thread 🥰. Poor mister (headless, limbless) rabbit…🐰