Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Take what enjoyment you can from friends and life because unless you ditch all your friends for younger ones every year those people are just getting older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

I'm with you on this. The world is getting shittier and we are getting hosed over by things out of our control. This year I have also abandoned friends and i'm struggling with some family members.

also the sweet little catte who lived 2 doors down from my house and who used to come round and visit me everyday and wait for me to get home so she could sit on my lap and drool on me and purr moved away with her real people last week :(

I do however have a beer advent calendar, so the next 24 days are going to be slightly improved.

Adopt a cat. (If feasible)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Dogchat: This is Biscuit. He's a good good boy despite being a just over three month old puppy with all the challenges that entails.

What a good dog.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It doesn't carry much weight
It's a little short really

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I had one of those and if there's an issue you can't fix with string and hammers your issues are brain related.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darchangel posted:

If anyone cared, I'm still employed (contracted for another 6 months, at least) after my one-on-one with my manager.
He wants me to think more about service improvements, and "grow", learn new technologies or systems, that sort of stuff.
I wish he'd just say, learn this, and pass a test/cert. I'm way more problem/goal oriented. The other is too wishy washy. And I've never been good at SIPs and PIPs, unless there's something really wrong with the existing service or process.
Why is it so bad that I just want to fix stuff when it breaks? Ah, well.

Of course we care. Regards training I'd just pick a thing, either it doesn't matter what you learn or it does and they won't tell you, so nothing to lose.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maybe it's possible to do more than one thing at once, and musk is big on showmanship, it keeps people talking about him and his companies achievements.

Silly as gently caress I agree, but funny.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

Maybe it is possible to do more than one thing at once, but "making Model 3s" isn't one of the thing's he's doing. "Launching a car into space" is one of the things he's doing. With Tesla being leveraged so far out, and hemorrhaging money on the daily... I'm just saying maybe he should stop with the showmanship and make some product.

It's going to be interesting to look back at Musk in 30 years. His legacy is going to be binary. It's either going to be "revolutionary genius" or "full-on huckster." There is no way it can be anything but.

I doubt there's a vacant place in the assembly line labeled "'ol Musky" causing them to miss production targets, there pretty much nothing he can personally do to improve line productivity, in fact his very presence pretty much guarantees worse performance as everyone spends effort and time making things look good or busy or preparing pretty presentations to show how much work they're doing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

As much as I hate to say it, I think I'm going to the dark side for my next car and going with an automatic.

If you keep driving for work you need a goddamned Prius

DICK DICER posted:

The Subaru 60k: in a half hour or less be covered head to toe in every single combination of fluids possible

You can always tell the ones who've done this before, they don't flinch.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I can't do the clear/white lights either. Growing up, my mother always insisted those were for the poors and the gays (seriously), and that real trees always had clear lights. So I make sure mine is making GBS threads rainbows. They do look great when done right (and yours was done right), I just like a bit more color.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah sorry but America's a loving laughing stock at this point, no matter how much we gently caress up you guys keep stealing the limelight. I figure May could start shooting her MPs and America would still outshine us.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Can't select gears in the loving multipla again :suicide: shifter won't go forwards or backwards, only most of the way side to side. My wife got it all the way home though I'm beginning to think burning it in a ditch might be the way forward.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I'd safe if it's the linkage, fix it, if it's the box itself, chuck the car on Ebay and buy something else.

Its internal. Stripped a bunch of shite components out and got to the top of the box, the left/right link moves freely, the fore/aft link is locked solid. Next diagnostic step is to drop the box, which is subframe out, drop engine/box, spilt. Crap, that'll take me months.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Is it worth it? Or better to bid it a fond gently caress-off and get something else?

Quandary however:
Option 1: buy cheap inefficient car for wife i.e. Auto petrol v70. Cheap to buy, her low mileage won't harm it, can still be used for family holidays
Option 2: buy a hybrid i.e. Gen 2 prius under 100k miles, again plus points as above except we need to tow a 1000lb trailer for family holidays, can't legally tow with a gen 2 prius
Option 3: buy me a diesel v70 or similar, my higher miles will be fine on it, good family car for holidays, wife has to have my panda.

Option 4 of buy a cheap stop-gap hatchback and replace the gearbox myself has been rejected already, because gently caress that. Option 5 paying the garage to tow it away and replace it probably costs more than buying a better car.

Yay Christmas finances.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Did you just butcher a perfectly good battery?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Don't connect anything to anything, unless it's with hot rivets and iron straps. That's my take on cyber security

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Talking cars with my wife and she's found a 13 year old Citroen xsara a few miles away she'd be happy with. Looks pretty clean and I owned one of these with a different engine 10 years back. Not a terrible car all told and cheap as chips so I'll be checking that out in a couple of days. I love how practical and realistic she can be.

E: need to figure out what to gut out of the multipla. Turbo and intercooler are coming, as are wheels, remote oil filter mount, anything common to the panda (some electrical bits).

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 5, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I'd say Primera or Avensis myself, on the basis they're likely to be less flakey than a Citroen, but if it'll do the job, great.

If you have the space to break it, you could probably do reasonably well out of it, but it's kind of a hassle, so may be best to take a few minor bits and then call the scrap guys. I can't imagine there's a massive crossover with the Panda, though.

I dislike primeras, never had a Nissan recommended by anyone I know who owned one. Avensis command a premium due to the taxi crowd sadly.
I'll just take the easily shifted parts and some removable options, some of the electronics are either generically useful or easily sold (window switches) and the wheels will fit, with some low profile tyres.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Noted for if this falls through, thanks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Not all of the pics :ssh:

How so? (I never use Reddit but I knew the imgur trick)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

There's a broken fiat on mine. I win. Or lose, not sure...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Went car shopping last night. Car 1 sold before we got there, pity.
Car 2, 10 yr old corolla:rusty. That doesn't happen, what did they do to it?
Car 3, 15yr old accord. Nothing wrong, short listed
Car 4: CRV hybrid, bait and switch on the price, listed at £2800, price on the window £5500. Bunch of knobs.

Got real dark real quick, abandoned expedition.

Tonight looking at a c-max if I can get to it before it sells, rusts or the price doubles.

Used car shopping sucks, even for beaters.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Auction: Not that I can get to easily or quickly with my work schedule. I'm also not comfortable buying at this cost at auction, I'd get about 10 seconds to examine and decide to buy and I'd be bidding against dozens of small car lot buyers who know what they're doing.

InitialDave posted:

I'd just buy the accord and be done with it if the price is right.

Also, if you're looking at cars up for £2800, I think you're getting outside of the "cheap" territory of £1500 and under, and will encounter a lot of what are really £1500 cars with another grand or so stuck on them to try it on.

The hybrid was the only more expensive car I looked at because at that price if the drivetrain was good I'd fix anything else and deal with it. I'll check out the c-max because it's right by work and will actually do us for a couple of years.

Also my wife last night pointed out that the DVLA MOT checker went from good to fantastic recently, just put the registration in and get the whole digital history including advisories. Check it out if you weren't aware.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 8, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

I would not buy a 15 year old car to use as your wifes daily unless it was low mileage and in perfect nick and had been owned and cared for by a close friend or relative. Even then you will still have to work on it.

You can still get newer stuff for not much money.

My 10 year old Aygo sold for £700..

Cheap a-segment cars for miles, I'd get a second Panda if that were feasible but she needs something bigger, ever tried 2 kids and a week's shopping, or family of 4 plus over night bags? I'm aware of the need for work, if I got the accord it'd be replaced in 4 months when I've the luxury of searching and shopping.
She also only does about 20 miles a week, hence choking the egr on the diesel.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:q:
Well that beats out the Volvo S40 I found.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What doesn't I'll you only makes you stronger so that door should be safer than ever

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

We've got photography nerds in here right? My dad asked for a tripod for Christmas but money is tight as I've got to replace the car. I'd still like to get him something, any brand/product suggestions?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mainly pictures of their new dog, but the tripod is for landscapes

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for all the tripod advice. Spent this morning buying a 2004 Volvo S40, a repossession I bought from the finance company with HPI check so I know the titles clear. Needs tyres and fluids but stress over. Just need to strip bits from the fiat and get it dragged away.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Looks like I can get a compact travel manfrotto within my budget, sorted thanks guys.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Good you're mobile again. Is that an early or late one, they changed about then, didn't they?

The update. I know it's a thirteen year old car but it didn't look or feel like it. Apart from PO was a vaper and there's a mysterious oily substance inside the centre console. Disgusting twat.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah. I learnt my lesson, my wife doesn't do enough miles to warrant a diesel.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

That's heresy

I once donated an I5 TDI volvo to a tank driving experience fight me.

(2 miles a day some days, she choked the egr because it never actually got warm)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I needed that motor you rear end in a top hat. I still want a I5 TDI for the 5000 Quattro Wagon.

:v:

Seriously though over here they are in Volvo's and VW's by the thousand.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

The update. I know it's a thirteen year old car but it didn't look or feel like it. Apart from PO was a vaper and there's a mysterious oily substance inside the centre console. Disgusting twat.

In case anyone thought I was exaggerating...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

RIP Edsel, a good dog.

True words. Commiserations to anyone losing friends or family members. Pets are family members.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

wat

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well Empress May no longer has the option of making her own changes without oversight so for now we'll carry on as we are.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I took a chance on a factory refurbished Dyson cordless even though our 11 year old cylinder was working fine.
1/ You can't tell it's a refurb
2/ it gets used multiple times daily just because of how easy it is to pick up. Balls to cords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

the spyder posted:

If you don't watch bigclive, you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYQqCw_Bk-0

Skip to the end if you want a big suprize. Nearly spit my drink out.

I just watched this last night, what did I miss?

E: I remember now.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 19, 2017

• Locked thread