Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Greens voters are essentially $80-110k per annum human resources managers that say things like "oh actually I think unions are necessary and working people deserve to be represented".

Hey, gently caress you

I work in IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

I work in a servo mate, get farked.

Look at this so called Greenie, supporting big oil,

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Touch warm in Perth today

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There's no loving way this government makes it until July. Turnbull will almost certainly outlive the 45th parliament as federal liberal leader but I doubt that will take him through to April.

S44 isn't done with them.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BBJoey posted:

the government lost another vote in the house of reps due to their MPs being absent

can you imagine the response if Gillard had hosed up even half as much as Turnbull and his whips have?

What on?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
more like Shamocracy amirite

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Woops sorry accidentally regarded browns as human beings

Mulligan please

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Speaking of which, have the libs figured out how to gently caress up same sex marriage yet

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Asked whether a leadership change would make them more or less likely to vote for the Liberal party, 18% of the Guardian Essential sample said they would be more likely to vote for the government at the next election, 13% said less likely, and 54% said it would make no difference.

Among Coalition voters, 29% said they would be more inclined to vote for the government with another leader, 16% said less likely, and 46% said it would make no difference.

Yeah Prime Minister Trumble is hosed.

Time for the pool.

Players (Essential Best Liberal Leader)

Turnbull (21%)
Bishop (19%)
Abbott (10%)
Dutton (4%)
Morrison (2%)

Now Turnbull is clearly shown to be the most popular out of the (miserable field), and given the Coalition's tendencies to totally ignore the will of the electorate until poo poo is literally on fire, you can count on that not to matter worth a poo poo.

Bets in!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gimme May 9

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There's no way this doesn't become the latest in a hilarious line of self-owns.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm really not surprised by Bolt seeming halfway reasonable in the current climate, with the overton window being stretched out by a screaming pack of assholes, even archconservatives seem moderate. And I'd consider Bolt a true conservative, when he's not being fed whatever narrative suits Rupert that day.

But also that's the thing - Dutton, Morrison, Bernardi, Abetz, Abbott, Andrews and Hastie aren't loving conservatives. They're right wing fundies, with all the christofascist baggage that comes along with that. The racism is mostly just dogwhistling for votes, but the hardcore assault on Islam comes from the fact that they consider their personal religious views to be more significant than individual freedoms / democracy.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Daily terror has a poll out saying it's 51-49 for the liberals in Bennelong.

That's well within the margin of error and based on the right-leaning inaccuracy of recent close polls in QLD and WA state elections, there is plenty of reason to believe this could go to the ALP.

Conversely if it doesn't, we should nuke the electorate from orbit.

How the gently caress could you honestly, genuinely vote for these dogfucking clowns?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?s=17

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There are calls among the left factions of some of the more progressive unions for the ACTU to excommunicate the SDA, or at least publicly condemn their behaviour. Right now, this is mostly supported by the more bolshie/tankie NSW branches of national unions, rather than the rank and file. I do not entirely agree with it, as disharmony is not what the ACTU needs at this moment - but I believe the time will come. Perhaps once we've defeated the Fair Work Act, ROC, and the Liberal Govt, and regained our right to withhold labour.

As it stands, the ACTU will not side with the SDA against the RAFFWU and will support and promote their victories, which is a good start.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Kafka Syrup posted:

I've been told there's also a bunch of issues around demarcation and the IR Commission that makes getting a new Union like RAFFWU recognised really hard. Probably need to completely rewrite IR law before it happens.

Luckily, Change The Rules actually has some really good ideas on how to do that.

And CPSU and pretty much every other Union in the ACT is pro-RAFFWU. Unions ACT was openly spruiking them at May Day. SDA doesn't even get mentioned except to attack them here these days.

Yeah the thing is if RAFFWU keep delivering outcomes for workers, there's nothing any of their detractors can do but sit back and watch.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I worked for an ISP for years and still work in ICT, and let me tell you this is a loving load of Pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

And probably being paid for with tax dollars.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Well here's something we can all get together and agree on.

It's the holiday season. It's time for Peace and love, people*

*and molotov cocktails through Morrison's bedroom window

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

starkebn posted:

I'm highly skeptical these people make up a large percentage of those who want safe schools shut down

They don't. It's mostly religious idiots who think homosexuality is depraved, and people who trust the right wing media and politicians when they make outlandish claims against safe schools.

I don't give a gently caress if people don't trust the government to do sex ed properly. Kids are killing themselves because their parents are loving poo poo at it so we take that option away from them.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My windows PC cost $1200 and 7 years later it would probably spank a new mac/macbook. It got an SSD and some more ram about a year in, and a new GPU every 4 years or so.

My HP laptop is still fast despite being 5+ years old, with again an SSD and a 4gb ram upgrade.

It's almost like the claims you're making apply to both windows AND apple hardware, which is actually the loving same thing underneath the window dressing.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Remind me. Didn't Shorten drop FTTP recently?

As far as I'm aware the ALP NBN policy is to see what sort of state it's in when they inherit it, and figure out what they can afford to fix.

I believe they have plans to remove HFC from the mix and replace it with FTTBasement/FTTCurb, which have replaced FTTNode on the Liberal's rollout too.

Basically under Labor you can expect FTTP to be steadily upgraded to gigabit speeds. FTTB/C can almost certainly do the same with minimal upgrades.

Technically DOCSIS 3.1 spec for HFC supports gigabit, but it's such a dog's breakfast that we're better off scrapping it.

If you're on FTTN, what you get now is what you can expect to live with for the forseeably future. Neither party have any plans to upgrade it to a better technology. So you better hope you're close to the node and can take advantage of 100/40 or you're getting left behind when the rest of the world figures out things to do with a 100+mbit other than multiple 4k streams, private cloud or downloading Game of Thrones, but faster.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m in a spot with no cable coverage 2.5km from the exchange lol

Distance from the exchange is irrelevant under FTT*.

If you're getting FTTN (you'd probably already have it if so because I don't think they're rolling it out much anymore) then it's distance from the pillar/node.

If you're getting FTTC/dp (most common now) then nothing matters, hail satan.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Solemn Sloth posted:

We aren’t part of the rollout so it’s adsl lol

I mean you will be, most houses are supposed to be getting something by 2020.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lid posted:

I debate here too and take non-standard positions but the difference is your posts are contrarian by nature by solely taking the position of "if i was one of Howards Battlers what would my view be" which isn't a position for allies but seems to milquetoast debating tactics ala IWC.

That's basically concern trolling.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

So are the official Goon State rankings
1. SA
2. VIC
3. QLD
4. TAS
5. WA
6. NSW
?

Can we have a poll for state of the year?

no, wrong, wrong, wrong. HAVE RATS EATEN YOUR BRAIN??

WA is definitely between VIC and QLD you weirdo.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GoldStandardConure posted:

No Australian Antarctic Territory on the list, worst list.

GSC is after a penguin fetish intervention for christmas,

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh c'mon it's not like Anidav is the pied piper, he doesn't control the...

OH gently caress RATS THOUSANDS OF RA-

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Kommando posted:

State Rankings
Vic
TAS
WA
SA
QLD
NSW

Territory Rankings:
Australian Antarctic Territory
ACT
NT
(debatable, both have approximately the same population. actually ACT has twice the population)
Jervis Bay

Best Micronation:
Hutt River principality

state of the year remains despair.
Special mention goes to WA for telling ONP to DIAF.
Most improved award to QLD.

Agreed.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Scomo's popularity is in single figures, as is Duttons. Abbott's sitting on like 15% or something pathetic like that, and as a point of reference, the party room knows that putting him back would result in electoral mass destruction.

Bishop is polling higher than Turnbull, which is one half of the only two metrics that matter.

Unfortunately for her leadership ambitions, the other metric is "Is Male."

IMO, Malc will almost certainly be taking the party to the next election. There just isn't any talent in safe enough seats to bother changing things up, they'll just try to hammer labor on natsec, immigration, economic performance and hope that the Media softballs them back into power (they'll certainly do their best).

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Imagine the level of Gary Sizzle cocaine brainstorming racism was happening at Austereo when they shambled into the Ozzest 100 gently caress you party.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Schlesische posted:

I think Malcolm will take the LNP to the next election and it will be ScoMo vs someone else (possibly Frydenburg?) who will be the interim leader with Bishop sitting in the back until about a year out from an election when she'll step in and take over and lead them to that later election.

It's possible Malc will stick around for a couple months to make sure Abbott doesn't somehow get the leadership back, and then probably hand over to Bishop.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Soon, the transformation will be complete.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah vicpol's tendency to shoot first ask questions later is renowned even outside of Victoria. Didn't they shoot some goth mid-coitus a couple months ago because he might have had a plastic gun on him at some point?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Solemn Sloth posted:

IDK where you’re getting the impression that Julie Bishop would just sit around twiddling her thumbs waiting for her opponents to die off

:drat:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean in fairness, Perth has only had non-fogie trading hours for about 3 years, and even then most specialty stores close at 5-6pm every day but Thursday in the suburbs, maybe Friday in the CBD.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" Leunig cried, as he slowly transformed into Bill Leak.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Whitlam posted:

I'd unironically back this with the exception of NT News, tbh.

But then it becomes Murdoch's only print outlet so you better believe it's going downhill in that scenario.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

"Janet Albretchsen was delicious, if a bit boney" - A Crocodile

"Too Old" - The same crocodile, on being offered a bite of Paul Kelly

"Kept trying to gently caress me, calling me 'a good boy'. I think it was missing its glasses".

- John Crocodile, on Chris Kenny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My dad hasn't voted Labor since the Greens started running candidates in his *heavily* working class seat, and mum was arrested during a sit in in Julie Bishop's office a few years back.

In-laws run a small business.

• Locked thread