Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Does anyone not think that Oklahoma-Clemson is the final, and that Oklahoma is gonna transform that into a shootout, and nobody's winning a shootout with Oklahoma.

Oklahoma made an exceptional defense built to beat Oklahoma look like loving trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

lamentable dustman posted:

Venables has OKs number
Have you seen Oklahoma's offense?

It's, uhh

loving terrifying

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
https://twitter.com/chrisfallica/status/937188716291985408

:laffo: let's do this

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Iowa, Wazzu, Syracuse, Iowa State to the playoffs.

Who says no?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
And people say they should expand the playoff to 8 teams...

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

GobiasIndustries posted:

6 team playoff: each P5 champion, one wild card, and the highest ranked G5 school :shrug:
First of all how does that wild card work if there's five P5 champs in there and a G5 school?

Second, the debate this year is whether there's actually a team that's worthy of that 4th spot, not which worthy team gets in. I don't know why "well poo poo, we can't figure out which unimpressive resume gets in at #4, let's expand to allow in more unimpressive resumes" is supposed to be a good argument.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Shappa posted:

Yeah I'm on board with the idea of staying at a four team playoff. As annoying as this scenario is, about half the fun of my season is watching big name schools lose on the road to teams like Iowa, or Iowa State, or whoever else has the hot hand this week knowing that it's crippled that big name schools season immensely.

If we put all the conference champions in a playoff it basically makes OOC games meaningless. If we just go with what's perceived to be the best 8 teams then we're going to have scenarios where 2 loss teams are absolutely in contention, and probably the odd year where a 3 loss team is in the mix... Which again makes those exciting October upsets kind of meaningless.

College football is great because every single game has a huge amount of meaning and implication on the season. If that gets chipped away it's one step closer to the classy cocktail party at the mayors house known as the NFL, rather than the greasy college kegger where you wake up on the lawn the next morning wondering what happened.
Also, remember a few years ago when Nebraska was 10-2 and Wisconsin was 7-5 going to the Big Ten championship game...and Wisconsin dropped 70 on Nebraska?

Auto berths for conference champions would be dumb as heck.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Rad Valtar posted:

What time is the selection show thing? Also I'm happy with 4 teams but throw the committee in the garbage.

Noon.

Also, agreed, the committee is more opaque than the old BCS rankings.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Randaconda posted:

I wonder what the top 2 teams would be under the BCS

Closest are probably these: https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State are the top 4 here

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That current ADs and former coaches are allowed on the committee is hilarious.

Don't know who would be on it, but :laffo:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The idea that the problem with the BCS was computers is laughable and I really hate ESPN, but that's just normal and what they want.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

nachos posted:

Margin of victory for one game is pretty lame, but it’s a useful measure as an average over the course of the year. I’m not sure which one the bcs used.
Its weight also doesn't have to scale linearly

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Soup du Jour posted:

Wisconsin is out of the playoffs and that’s all I care about
They should put Wisconsin in

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mahoning posted:

I like the argument that if you’re gonna let Alabama in because they only have one loss, you should let Wisconsin in instead.
There's no great option here; everything is bad

An Alabama team that hasn't looked great and got pushed around by Auburn
An Ohio State that lost by 31 to Iowa, and also got manhandled by Oklahoma
A Wisconsin team that lost by a touchdown to that Ohio State team
A USC team that got blown out by Notre Dame and lost to Wazzu, with no real significant wins against anyone but Stanford

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Henchman of Santa posted:

UCF is a good option and way more fun
Yeah but they've all but said no G5 team will sniff the playoffs so :shrug:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Yates posted:

Basically you have the four least likeable teams in the nation backed by the four worst fan bases playing for the title. Wonderful.
I dunno, I don't have strong feelings about Oklahoma or Clemson

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Oh hey I could go to the Pinstripe Bowl, wonder who's playing in it

*checks*

Hard pass

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Chump Farts posted:

how scared should I be of wazzu?
Probably "pretty scared"

They ain't world-beaters but they're gonna scare the poo poo out of your secondary and their defense is sneaky good this year

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Jackson is probably going to be a really good QB in the NFL, from what little I saw of Louisville this year, he worked out of the pocket a lot and my god his arm...

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

D.N. Nation posted:

UGA gonna win the next 5 nattys

Mark Richt has lost control of Georgia football

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Greetings. I was bored this morning and did some trash at lunch at work the other day, so I figured I'd drop some cool poo poo right now.

yardage gained for every completed pass in 2017

yardage gained for every non-intercepted pass

yardage gained for every interception

yardage gained for every rushing attempt

Georgia rushing offense (orange) vs NCAA (blue)

Oklahoma passing offense (orange) vs NCAA (blue)

Georgia pass defense (orange) vs NCAA pass offense (blue)

Oklahoma pass offense (orange) vs Georgia pass defense (blue)

Baker Mayfield is astonishing

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Lamar Jackson loving owns.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Those FSU unis are sick trash

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I think it's worth dwelling on the Army-SDSU Armed Forces Bowl

Army had 31 first downs, ran the ball 87 times, had the ball for 46 minutes, and nearly lost, anyway.

This is because Rashaad Penny is a goddamn machine and had 221 yards with 4 TDs on 14 carries.

The game had 31 total passing yards, and Army contributed 6 of those.

Downright erotic.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
no

bad huskers

bad

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

D.N. Nation posted:

Mayfield just gave a presser. Looks like "the flu" was...the flu.
:eyepop:

Yeah he sounds a little raspy but it sounds like he's on the tail end of it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

G-Hawk posted:

now i kind of want darnold to stay just so i can watch the texas defense destroy him
I wouldn't be so sure. Darnold's flaws are certainly fixable and he has the talent. And their offensive line promises to be better especially when not facing three first-round picks, and his receivers are young as hell.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Utah is the only school in the Pac-12 to win a bowl game.

Utah is also the only state in the Pac-12 where you can't get weed legally (medical marijuana is legal in Arizona).

:catdrugs:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Happy New Year, this is the right day to have the semifinals.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Noctone posted:

If I was a UCF fan questioning the payout I’d just remind myself that the team was 0-12 two years ago.

If I was a UCF fan questioning the payout I'd just remind myself NATIONAL CHAMPS

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
UCF has a legitimate claim to a national title. They went undefeated, beat some pretty good teams, got their P5 game cancelled because of loving hurricanes, and then beat Auburn, who beat the playoff champ.

If you don't like it maybe they could settle it on the field?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I would love to kick the poo poo out of another mid-major but the stars unfortunately didn't align this time :smith:
Georgia getting pushed around by Boise State lol

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

G-Hawk posted:

ucf can claim whatever they want, its funny, college football is funny. i think there is roughly a 0% chance UCF goes undefeated in a p5. edit: I think UCF has a chance against any top team, i think they are extremely unlikely to beat multiple in a row.

clemson had a fine season, they never looked super dominant but they went 1 loss against a good schedule. i guess you can debate them being #1 vs 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever but theres no reason to not have them in the playoff 4
Going undefeated is real loving hard.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LLCoolJD posted:

This may be met with skepticism, but Auburn playing at night in Jordan-Hare Stadium is a completely different team. Anyone familiar with the SEC knows that. Florida's championship team in 2006 lost there, and the 2001 Florida team's shot at the title was smashed there, too. Throw in their RB, Johnson, getting injured and it's a way less dangerous team. So hats off to UCF for a great season, but you're deluded if you think they're better than Alabama or Ohio State. They're not.
Prove it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
can someone ask Kendrick what he thinks about UCF's national championship

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
In 20 years all the record books will list one of Alabama or Georgia, and UCF, as champions, and young fans will wonder why the gently caress Georgia or Alabama deserved to win the championship and it's gonna be amazing.

I love this dumb loving sport.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

gaj70 posted:

They might be an extra benefit.
Then how could Alabama give out championship rings?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

PostNouveau posted:

So where can I buy UCF National Championship gear?

It looks like their marketing might have its wires crossed but here is a shirt

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

gaj70 posted:

I suspect the NCAA made a special exception for official championship rings. UCF's rings wouldn't be official per the NCAA.
I looked it up, you're correct.

The bylaw

HOWEVER, I suspect they're going to try their damndest, and if it doesn't work, they'll make the conference championship rings say national champions.

EDIT: Kiss the rings

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
https://twitter.com/SInow/status/949071718731124736

What would be really funny is if Georgia wins anyway and this dumb motivational tactic doesn't work

Also Georgia fans winning a national championship after a long drought but having it be marred because they split it with UCF would make it doubly hilarious so I guess what I'm saying is I want Georgia to win now

• Locked thread