Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

originally intended to be an end to the IP altogether. Now the latter part isn't true since the release of Andromeda

Ehhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I like Kaidan :smith:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

And in her dog comparison, Humanity was the dog and Salarians/Turians/Asari were the humans

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It's cool to see Shepard start to show strain under the pressure of saving the galaxy. It makes them human and not a machine

But the dream sequence, chasing some kid in a forest, was a ham-fisted way of doing that

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Or maybe Shepard can handle it, they say they're fine and they mean it since they (somehow) still have hope things will turn out well in the end, or they're good at showing a brave face; make it a choice how Shepard deals with the War

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

bman in 2288 posted:

I hope those attacks have gigantic windup, then, because that's kind of rude to the player.

When it happened to me, the enemy was close enough to hit me once, then activate the synch kill

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

She sure did and so did Jacob!

Again, if you're playing the PC version, there's a really nice mod that replaces her Ceberus onesie with a reskinned version of Ashley's default weirdass dress armor. It looks infinitely better on her than it ever does on Ash.

I wish someone mods ME2 to give Miranda that outift

I agree, it fits Miranda far better than Ash

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I like to do Omega right after the Coup attempt

It's sort of like Shepard's counterattack on Cerberus, attacking one of their major strongholds right after they wasted their resources attacking ours

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

You could make an argument that the writing of the Quarians is fairly realistic - they could coexist peacefully with the Geth if they'd stop trying to take Rannoch back by force but the people in charge are blind to every option except violence. They violated laws to create the Geth and now pretty much the whole galaxy hates them, so eradicating the source of their shame might bring them back into the fold, at least on a political level. Private attitudes probably wouldn't change much as species like the Asari and Krogan have long memories and there are plenty alive that were around back when the original fuckup happened. I don't know if this is intentional or if I'm putting my own spin on things and it's just a coincidence.

In practice they're even more incompetent than 90% of the galactic population which is quite a feat.

Also, if you follow Ashely's 'every race for themselves' view then the there's the chance the Geth are going to side with the Reapers, being synthetic themselves and because they've done so already (that was the Heretics, but still)

So from that point, they're taking back their homeworld, wiping out their old shame, and also wiping out a potential army for the Reapers.

Also, I'm the rear end in a top hat who tells the Quarians to keep fighting after the Dreadnought is disabled, since the Geth at that point are a lost cause when they gave themselves to the Reapers, and didn't punch Gerrel because I agree with him that Dreadnought had to go, though he could have given me like 5 minutes to get off the ship before he started blasting.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Also, Garrel's little war story about him and Tali's father going in guns blazing against some pirates that got them medals slapped on their chest and kicked off to an early pilgrimage does explain both Tali's father willingness to commit war crimes to get an advantage over the Geth and Gerrel going in for the kill on the Dreadnaught, even if Shepard and Tali are still on the ship.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 26, 2018

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

:shrug: There's that dude elsewhere on the internet who wrote something like 50 angry pages about how ME3 (and 2!) sucked balls. Just because ME3 jumps the shark in places doesn't mean we can't have a fun/healthy discussion about it.

The only thing I really don't like about ME3 is the ending, I liked pretty much everything else, but Mass Effect is dead so I don't really have to care about that ending

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Everyone is bringing up good points about the Quarian's constant gently caress-ups, but I still like them and want them to have their homeworld again

Or at least let Tali build her house there

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure the Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod automatically starts the Citadel dlc after the ending so it's a 'real' epilogue

Or there's a mod that will start the dlc after the ending

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Durandal1707 posted:

I dislike Synthesis a lot too. It tries being a pat "feel good" ending where the only sacrifice is Shepard (well, whomever died getting to the Citadel but w/e) but it doesn't really work on that level. The implication behind it is pretty jacked up.

Supposedly it was the preferred ending by the Bioware staff. I dunno where exactly I read that because i'm on like 3 hours worth of sleep, but supposedly it was written into the game code itself.

Synthesis is like the "third" choice in every Bioware game, that has little to no consequences and conveniently solves everyone's problem, but to me it's somehow overdone in being the perfect third choice that I just roll my eyes at "Shepard fulfilled their role as Space Jesus by dying for everyone's sins and bringing peace and understanding to the entire Galaxy and the Reapers are redeemed too and sharing their collective knowledge to everyone."

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

just an aside: I found out the most recent Mass Effect novel (about the quarian ark in Andromeda) was released about a week ago and went to the Mass Effect wiki to read up on it ... and it's just got the plot summary from the back of the novel

then I went to see if the wiki entries for the characters from Andromeda were as bare-bones as I remember and yep, they totally are

the worst sign for a sci-fi series is when the wiki obsessives stop giving a poo poo

Wait, they actually released the book?

I’m tentatively curious what was up with the Quarian arc, since I like the Quarians, Hanar and Elcor, and they are all on that ship.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 19, 2018

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Nah, don't like Control or Synthesis, never will

I want Shepard to live as himself and not as a Machine God, build that home with Tali, and want to see the Reapers fall over dead

Shpeard was "destroyed" and eventually brought back exactly as he was, no reason to think Edi and the Geth can't be brought back as well

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 22, 2018

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly, I'm not holding my breath that even DA4 comes out, with how Anthem is looking, both the game itself and what other games are being released around it, Bioware might go the way of Visceral Games

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The best part is it's just going to get dumber.

I went digging and found the original ME3 thread. It's really entertaining watching people be all excited and then a day or two later the "what the gently caress" posts start dribbling in. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470696#post401266824

And the spoiler thread, which was pretty much all "what the gently caress" posts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471712#post401431850

Now the game released in March and the EC didn't drop until late June, so there were 4 months for people to completely lose their poo poo. Every thought you might have about a problem with the ending, well, it got brought up. Repeatedly. And cross-referenced and nitpicked and hollered about. For anyone who doesn't know what's coming, I kind of envy you. You're going to get a deeply flawed ending with plot holes Harbinger can waddle through. You're going to scratch your head and go, "But wait, in the previous games-" and we'll all nod along and say you're right because you are. I just want you to remember that we're playing the EC which (allegedly) fixed a bunch of things. It didn't actually change the endings, just gave an explanation as to the aftermath so it didn't fix anything at all. The ending is still stupid, but keep in mind it went from explosion to a jungle planet to the credits and then THANKS FOR PLAYING BUY DLC.

The BioWare forums, which is dead, was also really... divisive following the ending

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

The BioWare forums, which is dead, was also really... divisive following the ending

Now that the final part of the LP is out, man... were the Bioware forums terrible around the time of the endings

Just a miserable echo chamber people calling each other genocide fetishists, luddites, fascists, and other colorful names because they someone prefered the red, blue, or green ending and thought the other two were horrible

Honestly, I think I got so invested into the series that with that ending and visiting those forums afterwards got me into a bad headspace for daring to like the Red ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

One more thing: Shepard was brain dead, essentially ‘destroyed’ in every sense of the word and they were brought back exactly as they were.

I see no reason Edi and the Geth can’t be brought back the same way

Might take a bit more than two years, but that’s how I justify the Red ending because I really don’t like the Blue or Green ending, and the Red ending comes closest to my preferred end state (Shepard alive as himself and not an ascendant machine god, Reapers destroyed)