Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I applied to Hotdog as MillVillage#1353.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

They can't just release balance changes as they get to them? I like this game, but Bungie is really taking their sweet time with these updates.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

limaCAT posted:

Destiny 2 is still better than Warframe

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I got Ophidians from my first Hotdog Clan emblem! To balance things out, Cayde's maps gave me tokens. :negative:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Argas posted:

Off the top of my head, D1 had a mix of more stuff to do and systems that were conducive towards grinding.

The random perk system for guns gave people something to constantly aim for, even if they settled for the curated vendor rolls which were generally solid. Personally I didn't care much for it but D2's static perk system has created a plethora of substandard if not outright lacking guns that exist to bloat the loot pool.

D2's token/lootbox system is probably the biggest part of it to me because even if you just had fun, the gameplay-reward loop is incredibly tedious. It's honestly hard for me to pin down the exact reasons D1's system worked over D2, because a lot of engrams just turned into mediocre stuff to scrap.

Primary/secondary/heavies made for a far more enjoyable loadout than Kinetic/Energy/Power. Abilities also recharge faster so you could use them more often. It seems minor but just making the basic gunplay and gameplay more enjoyable goes a long way towards making tedium less tedious.

Lack of activities like the Court of Oryx and the various keys around the Dreadnought (I know RoI had its own Court-equivalent, not sure about keys). The Court was basically an area in the Dreadnought patrol area where you used runes, which were rewards from activities, to start a mini-boss event. They varied and some required a level of coordination between randoms, to an outright streamlined version of the boss of the second raid, Crota's End. There were three different runes so you knew what range of encounters it could pop when you used it. The Court was mostly standalone but there were a few questlines that required participation or specific bosses. The keys were similarly rewarded from activities, and when you brought them to the right location, they'd basically lead you on a miniature mission around the patrol area, usually ending in a mini-boss encounter. They're both essentially public events of sorts but they're triggered by players.

All sorts of questlines to get cool poo poo. The Sleeper Simulant had a fairly basic puzzle in that you had to input a combination. Everyone just used the internet but for those pioneers delving into new content for the first time or people who want to go in blind, there are notable clues to the solution. The Taken King had an incredibly long, involved, and really grindy questline for an exotic that was both significant to the post-campaign story and was also really useful in parts of TTK raid. By the end of it you were basically intimate with every nook and cranny of the Dreadnought because you had to collect shards that were tucked away there or only accessible via tricky/invisible platforms, etc. There's also just tons of hidden areas that weren't really used for patrol activities and it felt fun to explore content that isn't nearly as open or friendly as the standard content.

Another thing are the modifiers they had for heroic and nightfalls. While some of them were restrictive, they did a lot more to mix up the experience of difficult content beyond inflating HP and damage values.

The amount of content is something they basically hosed themselves with but is also just a thing that happens if the content doesn't get carried over. But they also hosed with a ton of systems and made the game less satisfying. Sure, it still shoots and handles superbly but I couldn't play D2 for long periods of time because the gameplay-reward loop is incredibly unsatisfying and retroactively tainted the gunplay.

I agree with most of this, but the Touch of Malice quest was extremely tedious and not fun at all. Some of the shards required Court of Oryx bosses. If they weren’t around that week, you were SOL.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

cvnvcnv posted:

So tedious that you couldn't just decide to pick the quest up randomly and complete it immediately. They should have done a cool and good thing instead like require a bunch of scout rifle kills while jumping, or something.

I never said that. The quest had enough to do as it is.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The Rat King quest now only requires a Normal Nightfall completion since the timer is gone. Now if only the gun was worth using.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I love the one pubby who blows up the spider tank with the rocket launchers while people are trying to trigger the heroic event.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Minrad posted:

have you tried sea of thieves

it's like destiny 2, but with pirates

And no progression, no story. Just a barebones open world game.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I completed the raid for the first time this weekend. I got all my armor over 330 and a Masterwork Sins of the Past. It was fun. Now to get up to 330 for the Prestige raid. The glowing armor is snazzy.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You'll talk to like 6-9 people and they give you a ton of loot! If you'd finished the campaign below level 20 it also would've popped you up to that.

Actually I wonder if it'll pump you to 25, since bungie probably coded it all goofy like

It puts you at Level 20 regardless of what DLC you have.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

You can tell that they just never thought they'd have to dig in and fix this much poo poo when they were making the game, but also this is a AAA game that had barely a 15-month dev cycle before going gold so i feel like half this game must have been coded on the bus on the way to the studio

15 months? The version we got had less than a year of development.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Serious Overchill is the only active PC clan, and it’s also full.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I applied for Serious Overchill the other day. I posted about it in the discord but I'll post about it here, too.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Destiny 2, brought to you by the Googley Eyed Critter!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Reddit says the ingame lore implies that Xol is the weakest Worm God.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Destiny has always had a bad story and locking important information behind a grinding meta game doesn’t make it good. Plus said information cannot be read ingame. If Destiny had a good story and the Grimoire was supplemental material I would be okay with that.

I’m not mad that Xol is a chump because you never actually see him doing worm god things in Destiny 1.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Passburger posted:

Is the game locking up/crashing every now and then for the rest of you too?

I had it freeze on Tuesday when the servers were acting up. The game came back to life after a minute or so when it reconnected.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

el B posted:

BECAUSE THEIR WRITING IS BAD!!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bungie is notorious for trying to scrap together games at the last minute. Only Halo 2’s multiplayer (the campaign’s development was a catastrophe), Halo 3, and Halo Reach were made with a reasonable development time.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Xur has Suros Regime today. Is it any good?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The light system is terrible now. If you don’t raid, it takes forever to level up. The only thing on Mars that increases your light is EP and you have to be at 370-380 to complete that successfully.

D1 Year 3 had the best system for raising your light.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I reinstalled this game to get ready for Solstice of Heroes.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I didn’t like COO but the shaders are my favorite in the game.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Forsaken is looking to be a very substational expansion pack. It sounds like Bungie is trying very hard to fix the mistakes they made with this game.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That wasn’t BS. They do that for minor updates like gun balancing.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The Nightmare version is going to be fun. :allears:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

Anyone got advice for mouse settings + in game mouse settings?

I have a Logitech G602 set at 800 dpi with the default ingame sensitivity. Works great for me.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

1stGear posted:

Live Team has decided that the only way they can save Destiny is to entirely purge Y1.

I threw out virtually all my Y1 gear when Taken King came out so I'm okay with this.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Where should I go for Solar grenade kills for the Solstice armor?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’m taking the whole week off. :getin:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Whyyyyyyy?????

I happen to have some other plans that week so it worked out.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I got just enough points for the shirt. :feelsgood:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Did they buff all the handcannons? I was using the IKELOS one and it was melting yellow bar enemies.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I vaguely remember enjoying the PvP in D1 despite it being console only. I can't decide if I'm looking forward to trying Destiny PvP in my more natural environment of KBM, or dreading facing others in their natural environment. New game mode sounds fun though, reminds me of Titanfall 2's Bounty mode which was great

How's the ultrawide (21:9) aspect ratio support in this?

(e) This is like last time where I'm locked to my chosen class but everything else (subclasses included) can be done on one character, right? Gotta be Warlock in that case

I don’t have an ultra wide monitor but Google tells me they work great with this game. There’s a lot of settings you can tweak. It’s a fantastic port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

that said if i am going to keep playing this i have to find a way past the painfully crushing guilt of letting all my pvp teams completely down

I can't believe there's no skill-based matchmaking of any sort, that's nearly a dealbreaker all on its own in a supposed pvp game

How bad are we talking here? The average player has around a 1 k/d. SBMM isn't going to make you a better player just because you play with other people who are as bad you.

• Locked thread