Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Eminent DNS posted:

Up until a few weeks ago, there was a public facing website that just visually tracked all shipping for anyone to view live.

They closed that feed on the main website, but you gotta figure that if that's been up for years, there's probably tons of APIs and poo poo that reference other forms of that same data, and there's no way they shut that down this quick. They probably never will.

So basically, I think this info is all still public. Though I'd be curious if anyone who actually works in shipping has any more concrete info.

I'm a professional ship knower. I work in construction not operations but the yard I am at is a registered customs clearing site for the country. At any point I can use a web portal to check any ship via it's IMO number and see where it last berthed and it's listed future ports.

Determining ownership is a little bit more complicated usually but anything Ansar Allah is shooting at will be classified by an IACS member as well as a flag authority. Part of class approval is valid ownership documentation and from there unless they are doing Paradise papers poo poo you can just dig through corporate ownership documents until you find the true owner.

I'm not sure about Iran but Egypt, Saudia Arabia, Qatar, Lebanon, Turkey and the UAE will all have access to the same port of call database I do. One disgruntled port worker in an unsanctioned country would be all they need to have a near 100% strike rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
The cool thing about some of the blue water those ships will have to contend with if they can't use the Suez is you end up in places where sometimes the closest man made structure is the international space station. Also ships are built to classes based on what seas they are expected to steam in and a suezmax or Panamax is nowhere near strong enough in terms of longitudinal bending to do Cape transits in foul weather. If you want a wild ride look at the statistics of how many cargo ships are lost at sea each year already and then extrapolate of they try to take underpowered vessels into the southern ocean.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Yeah there are specific rules about Dutchman management in SOLAS and the ILO shipboard duties rules that explicitly state not to jump in after a man overboard and to use the legally mandatory recovery equipment every ship carries to facilitate rescue.

They were tier one operators so in the interests of high speed low drag they probably had no reserve bouyancy in their kit. They probably weren't strapped in properly while blue water sailing in a collared vessel and just got bounced off like an idiot on takeshis castle and sunk to the bottom.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Brown Moses was definitely on the payroll before the Bellingcat Kickstarter happened. It's just a shame the Leveson enquiry IRC channel seems to be lost to the sands of time. There is a fair whack of stuff that got said in there bm probably wouldn't want being public now.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
As a boat knower I'm just going to say the idea of rafting a load of ships offshore then trying to move it towards the shore is free range insanity. Even if it was barges I'm not sure you could find enough tugs that are powerful enough to move the blob and then stop it that don't have far more important things to do. Then you need to find a way to anchor the blob so it doesn't go on a magical mystery tour and the seabed conditions there aren't great for long term anchoring.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

kazmeyer posted:

The best thing about Christopher Judge is when he found out about furries live on stage at a convention.

Nah it's him going so long during his acceptance speech at the game awards that they needed to bring in the Oscars gently caress off now music the next year

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

the main difference between october 7th amd 9/11 is that everyone who died on october 7:-

(a) deserved it because they were literally concentration camp guards

(b) most of them were killed by the IDF

A) predatory finance capital is also a form of concentration camp

B) the idf helped train the hijackers

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Ardennes posted:

The big issue now is also it is going to move into fall in the southern hemisphere, and the Cape of Good Hope is infamous for its storms. It isn't enough to shut down traffic but it is going to probably lead to even higher insurance rates.

Boat knower back again

Unless the cargo ship has been designed for cape transits the intact stability calculations will not have taken into account southern ocean winter sea states. The combination of wave length and amplitude will put cyclical stresses on the longitudinal girders that they weren't engineered to endure and the ship will eventually snap in half somewhere around the middle between watertight bulkheads.

Ships that go into seas that they weren't classified for by an IACS member organisation will be uninsured in the event of damage or loss.

So it's going to do way worse things to trade than just slow down suezmax and Panamax ships trying to transit the Cape.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Remembering fluffdaddy's finest moderation moment. Defending made in the abyss and the thread on Sa for it. Dude should have ate a perma back then for that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Chamale posted:

I see no reason to doubt a Twitter account that is "Covering the ongoing Third World War through the lens of Christian Prophecy"

On the one hand yeah, on the other it's probably more reliable than any us or Israeli Media's outlet

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
We need holographic bomber Harris. Only he has the power to prevent Israel from ever threatening world peace again.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Does Iran have a bomber Harris?

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

it depends on if Iran will strike back for real or not. my guess (probably wrong who knows) is iran will eat this one.

If they care about having credibility they have to do something big. Declaring they would respond to any new attack 10 fold then just eating poo poo isn't how you build or maintain credibility. See prosperity guardian for an example of losing your credibility.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

I too will put forward a wild theory: lizard people live on the dark side of the moon, which is also made out of waffles

This is blatant Nazi moonbase erasure

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Megamissen posted:

theres also great khali, who was huge in the sense of being very tall but was very bad at wrestling

They also made a special gimmick match for him called the Punjabi prison match but he got done for roids and they replaced him with the new years baby

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Bomber Harris come back, your work is not yet finished

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Biden administration is asking university leadership to do more to stop antisemitism and terroristic rhetoric on campuses

https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/1782131891253985517?t=u1wunHQt6dhe53pg1rvtRA&s=19
https://twitter.com/SecondGentleman/status/1782182735244595623?t=GJowb7kg7ynNYjAM3Elibg&s=19

New encampments demanding an end to the genocide on Gaza are emerging across the country, primarily at elite universities, and this seems to be a call by the administration to crack down on them as harshly as needed.

Biden: send in the national guard to Harvard we need another Kent state
Me: no_wait_stop_gene_wilder.gif

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Pyrus Malus posted:

oh yeah don't misunderstand, they definitely hate muslims too, its just surprising you don't hear more about the end-times zionism cult stuff considering how ubiqitous it is if you're from certain parts of the US south

or maybe we do hear more about it than I realize? I mean they did get nic cage for the left behind movie

You could get Nic cage for a discendo vox biopic if you paid him enough

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
One of Columbia's donors is funding a new building in New York on the condition they build a satellite campus in Tel Aviv that Palestinian American students who are enrolled at Columbia couldn't visit. BDS is an existential threat to the upper management of Columbia not just Israel.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
This whole mob of brown shirted thugs attacking groups of peaceful leftists seems familiar somehow

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Doc Hawkins posted:

named after a neighborhood in beirut where the colonial forces massacred a refugee camp in 1982

Also is a Mossad agent

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
If for any reason somebody with a warrant from the ICC sets foot in soil of a country that is a signatory they must be immediately arrested and sent to the Hague.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Zodium posted:

yup. cspam is 70% computer touchers, 30% academics, and hootington.

Justice for the boat knowers

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Changing my position from

Come back bomber Harris your job isn't done [joking]

To

Come back bomber Harris your job isn't done [actionable]

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

ded redd posted:

what kind of face do you think he made during the three seconds his camera feed was cut off

Every live tv show has a dump switch if somebody goes full gamer and he probably just embraced his gamer nature.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
It's a shame Owen Jones is an orange booker gently caress head opportunist who was part of the operation to destroy Corbyn.

He was a pro-settlement Zionist until the current conflict

https://electronicintifada.net/content/how-owen-jones-learned-stop-worrying-and-love-zionism/34986

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Zoeb posted:

I apologize for the mistake.

I think about this a lot because one of the most formative movies for my worldview was Schindler's list. Anything is better than repeating the events depicted in that movie. One of the things I remember most about the movie is one of the few color scenes is at the very end where modern day Israelis pay respects in front of a monument. I was under the impression that Israel was founded by Holocaust survivors along with some people who already lived there.

Zionists were murdering Palestinians in the mandate long before Hitler became Chancellor.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

HazCat posted:

The second one is saying that Palestine as a state shouldn't exist (ie everything that isn't Israel should either be Israel or Egypt/Jordan). It's a flag on a condom because AI is an even cruder tool than colourful clay painted on a stone wall.

And yes, it's inscrutable unless you already know how Zionists talk about Palestine. The emotions behind it (bigotry, hatred, contempt) come through but it totally fails to convey why the viewer should share those feelings. Even Israeli propaganda is being ruined by neoliberalism, men and women who only know one lever to pull but don't understand how or why the lever used to work.

The real problem is that being a fascist is, in the extreme, incompatible with having basic empathy or having true theory of mind, which makes dyed-in-the-wool fascists extremely bad at creating (or recognising) meaningful art. Art is about expressing an idea in a way that relies on a shared experience and a desire to share individual experiences, and fascists can neither share nor accept experience with those outside their circle. Everything is for internal consumption, and it exists to echo the fascist's emotions back at themself in a simulacrum of empathy/shared experience.

Italian futurists didn't suddenly stop being a important artistic movement just because they were fascists. Triumph of the will didn't magically become something other than a groundbreaking piece of cinema because some of histories greatest monsters made it.

The idea fascists can't make art is one of the most trite and self congratulatory concepts of the modern left when the truth is that the post war western culture produced the death of creativity. You have things like the Iowa writers workshop and the CIA funding of modern art to thank for the meaningless garbage being shoveled out now.

Israel is perhaps that mix in it's purest form, bereft of any society beyond a collection of gilded Age robber barons.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Popy posted:

check out my youtube video where i ranked every genocide

Tierzoo doing a Collab with radio war nerd

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

VoicesCanBe posted:

The US openly defying the ICC will have a long-term impact in that it alienates them from the global south even further. The death of US soft power, which we're seeing rapidly accelerate due to their support for Israel's genocide, means that their only means of interacting with the peripheral nations will be via explicit coercion (mostly through sanctions). With China rising, these countries have at least one alternative and will be able to tell the US to gently caress off.

Once it turned out the Chinese equivalent of swift worked fine in Russia the international roles based order was doomed. Taking away access to Swift was supposed to be an economic kiss of death but it seems the Russian economy is doing fine.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Finished fabricated steel work is around 10k per ton as a useful estimate. That looks about 8mil with of steel work. Another 2 for paint/antifoul/anodes. Then 1/3 of purchase for freight. The anchoring could easily be with more than the pier depending on water depth. All that said I couldn't see that pier costing North of 100mil to get operational. So there you go, 240m of graft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I was worried for a bit that I was the boat dipshit, but now I'm comfortably aware that I'm only a boat dipshit, not the boat dipshit. Out of interest who is that person because I'm morbidly curious to see what their understanding of transhipment logistics looks like compared to my experience in the field.