Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

I want worm Leto from the cover of God emperor as a tattoo at some point...

...on your dick right? That’d be p sweet but getting the face done will be painful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

it’s probably already been said but it would be neat if they got Kyle MacLachlan to cameo as fenring

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Maybe YOU don't :colbert:

Also, Sarandon's personality, gait, and cadence are all a complete mismatch for Jessica, so...

lol when did you see Jessica walk, or hear her talk in the books?

e; seriously lolling at this all time great actress having the wrong gait to play a fictional character from a sf novel

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

rank erbert

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Communist Walrus posted:

Indiana

Jones

wait, poo poo

welshy

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

chris plummer for shaddam iv

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

when is the green brain movie coming out

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

funcom is making a dune mmo lol

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

norman harkonnen

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i think momoa will be good as idaho, he’s got kind of a wry sense of humor that seems fitting

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Farnk Hrebert’s NUDE

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

it’s a shame harlan ellison died, I’d love to hear his thoughts on @duneauthor

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

red green and black are the colors of postcolonial pan africanism, the atreides should all be black imo

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

hopefully they focus on frank’s output and the @duneauthor game is just a rebranded version of UNO

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

DUNO

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Prolonged Priapism posted:

It's hyphenated Liet-Kynes throughout the book. So it's definitely at least a sietch name, especially considering he's named for the Fremen who spared his father, Uliet. It's possible his "official" first name is something else, but it's never given.

His father was Pardot Kynes. For imperial purposes the son can't just be Kynes. Dr. Liet Kynes, imperial planetologist, and Liet-Kynes, Fremen leader, would make sense but it makes our characters fools. Dr. Bob Kynes fixes that, at the expense of Pardot's having gone native and apparently only ever giving his son a Fremen name:

Wanna see that application

lol

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 26, 2019

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

role requirements:
-male age 25-35
-Black
-Like, really black
-No family history of miscegenation
-big dong

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

There's plenty of real-world historical analogues for the Emperor and the Houses, and even for theoretically-powerless-but-actually-super-influential-advisors like the BG. But has there been any time in history when there's been a monopoly on travel, like with the Guild? I really can't think of any. It makes it kind of tricky to work out the implications of a transport monopoly.

closest analogue would probably be railroad/steamship monopolies in the 19th century, those were mostly regional at their biggest though.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

When the Harkonnens ruled arrakis, was the Baron himself based there, or did he stay on giedi prime? It’s been a long time since I’ve read the books

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I just read the synopsis of the Butlerian Jihad novel on Wikipedia and loving lol

Xavier Harkonnen sounds like a Mary Sue harkonnen based solely on his super cool X-name, which is not a lame, dumb name like Brian, no- it is the name of a strong and virile man.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I thought rabban was his surname? Isn’t his first name Glossu?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Villenueve has on multiple occasions said he plans on following the book(s) much closer than Lynch, getting rid of feyd would kind of torpedo that approach. I’m sure he’ll be in.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I picked up a copy of The Dragon in the Sea at the local used book store, is it any good? there’s not enough nautical sf in the world imo

only other non dune Herbert I’ve read is the Green Brain and I enjoyed that

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

when is the A Fire Upon the Deep movie coming out tho

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

lol is phiz leaking into gbs

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Has their been any concept art from the new film released yet? Do we know who the artists are?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

one sort of funny thing that stood out to me in jodorowsky’s dune is how charismatic jodo is despite being a bit up his own rear end, vs someone like nicholas winding-refn (who they interviewed in the doc), and who was no less pretentious than jodo but lacked any of his charm.

dan o’bannon’s anecdote about meeting him was loving amazing

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just got back from seeing Dune in the theater. It looked really good for the most part, although some of the greenscreen / effects works didn't look great. The sets were wonderful and I experienced some subtleties of performance that weren't obvious at home; even Irulan's opening narration had more depth to it.

as fun as it is to poo poo on Lynch’s dune has a lot of cool moments and neat set design. much as I would love to see jodo’s Dune I bet it would have been at least as bad, had it been made.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I bought Foss’s book Hardware a few years ago and it’s real awesome if you’re a fan of his work

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

shai’hulud should just be massively upscaled ragworms, those things are already loving terrifying and can bite the poo poo out of you if given the chance. also the king ragworm is colloquially called the sandworm, come to think of it im genuinely curious if Herbert was familiar with these guys-they are a marine species and commonly used for fishing bait, idk if they are present on the west coast though.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

lmao he has to mention his dad even in an unrelated series

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

*looking in mirror*
brian herbert
brian herbert
brian herbe

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i heard the movie is bad and doesnt even have weirding modules like fred herbert wrote about in the book

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

brian herbert
brian herbert
brian herbert

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Better be glad you weren't standing in front of a mirror when you posted that.

unfortunately i was and ive since been bombarded with angry emails from someone calling themselves "LORD_CYBERTREX"

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i watched this on Friday with a friend who was completely unfamiliar with Dune and he liked it enough to go out and buy the book the next day.

Ornithopters kicked rear end and i desperately want a too expensive articulated model of one

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

priznat posted:

They’re planning on doing 80 (!) episodes of Foundation so they’re just barely warming up! And yeah Lee Pace, phwoar.

I think there is plenty room for adaptations of golden age sci fi books, now do Songs of Distant Earth next dammit!

not golden age, but I did hear just yesterday that Iain M. Banks' estate just signed new management. Consider Phlebas would be a loving amazing movie or miniseries

re: golden age, how about an adaptation of The Stars My Destination

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

when is the film version of cliff simak's City releasing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I wanna see a Green Brain movie