Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

FBS posted:

the ending of Children is cool

Yeah I'm a little bummed because no franchise is every going to go that far but I'm super down for superman Leto wrecking sietches, punching open doors, doing ceiling jumps and drinking poison for the lol.

I'd S a D to see that on the big screen. I'd S YOUR D. I'd S every D in this room but it'll never come to fruition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Just do a deepfake of Rodney Dangerfield for Leto II

eyyyy my Aunt tried a coup so I convinced her to jump out of a window, I get no respect. No respect. Had to drink poison in front of people so they'd leave me alone. Wish it killed me so I could get away from those chumps. No respect I tells ya

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Paul is crowned the Baywatch Haderach after proving himself an able lifeguard on the sandy shores of Arrakis, with a generous number of scenes filmed in slow motion

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Lincoln posted:

I think we’ll never see DUNC 3 because that novel was really dull.

:same:

My fantasy is them making one more and just skipping right to the second half of Children of Dune

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Wizchine posted:

Dune Messiah owns bones. Children of Dune is the boring one...

They both have good signals in the noise but the ratio continually degrades. I just want to see Paul's throne room in Messiah and Ultra Instinct Leto in Children.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Galewolf posted:

Not to start a failson discussion but I actually read all three house books and the Butlerian Jihad ones with the naivete of a reader who just wanted a bit more of Dune.

I was hoping for something like what Christopher Tolkien did with his fathers notes and concepts. House Atreides was an okay start but like crumbled really fast and when that scene in the invasion of Ginaz happened I literally threw the book across laughing

I have no excuses for reading ALL Butlerian Jihad books, they start bad and keep being bad CONSISTENTLY

:same:

I read all of those too. It felt like an endurance exercise just to read all of the lore. Like trying to complete a game you loved to 100% but there is nothing left enjoyable about it after 30%.

There was usually one cool, interesting arc surrounded by boring, insane, random ones. Dune novels always cycle through the arcs and I found my speed-reading (skimming) to get back to that one arc I was digging. Noise to signal ratio, off the charts.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

skasion posted:

His mom tells him there’s a secret password to shut off Feyd’s muscles and he’s like “I don’t want to use that”. Then when Feyd is about to stab him to death, he’s like “I won’t say it!” And Feyd just stands there with no idea what he’s talking about and eats a shank regardless.

It's kinda funny if you think about it because he used his voice anyway to defeat Feyd.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Both combatants brought cheating devices into that fight. I'm kinda glad the book just glossed over it and made the battle interesting.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

defeating Feyd with the Voice would make him look like a creature of the BG

"En guarde!!"

"Stab Your Own Balls!!!"

credits

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Except for the last one, Fenring's hum-language was the fuckin' worst.

oh my GOD thank you.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

e wrong thread

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I like that Rabban wasn't totally clueless, but wasn't smart enough to grasp his predicament and do anything about it.

I really appreciate what Dave Bautista brought to the role, he really didn't afford himself the slightest dignity.

It was also ultra lol when he landed to try and face the Fremen and got a quick taste of how little they're loving around.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Bubblyblubber posted:

i'll be dead in the cold hard ground before i take ethical framework lessons from a dickless worm

He came close to gluing on a paper mache penis, would that have given him more credence for you?

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Another question for more well-read dunebros: To what extent is Jessica's Harkonnen heritage known? It's a pretty big revelation to Paul in the new film, but in pt 1 the Baron calls (a very paralyzed) Leto "cousin" and it got me thinking about who actually knew Jessica was Harkonnen.

Well a guy dating your daughter doesn't make you two cousins, I assume it was a really old lineage.

As per who knows, I don't recall exactly in the books but it doesn't really show up to my memory until it comes roaring back that the Baron's memory is possessing Alia.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I hadn't really thought about it but "Your concubine is dead" is a weird flex given the revelation in the second film that the Baron knew that was his daughter.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

It's well documented that too much crossing of incest genetics will invariable lead to one kid becoming a gigantic, immortal worm.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Was that floating Dialysis Pod attached to the Baron due to Leto gassing him in part 1? We saw him take an oil bath presumably to recover his injuries, but he takes another one in part 2 and I wonder if his recovery is just really lengthy.

I posed this question in the "other" Dune thread in CD and the consensus seems to be yes, Leto's final gently caress you turned him into a permanent birthday-clown.

I didn't see it until a ton of re-watches but you can actually see when the emperor makes a little hand gesture to the Sardaukar to command that the balloons are now to be released to the ceiling and get stuck by a vent.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Monica Bellucci posted:

It's not necessary though. Machines do the space folding, prescience just lets you pick the path that doesn't slam you into a planet or cosmic brick wall, most of the time.

If I recall correctly they're all 100% dependent on a single air-traffic controller that used to be a human woman. The guild is pretty lucky that a benevolent super-being with no value for incentives just keeps the whole operation afloat in her idle time.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Dennis you coward, punch it all the way through the boring-rear end God Emperor one.

e^^^^ great minds think alike

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

I assume that's from the "new" books.

Yeah every time I point stuff like this out, everyone else in the thread despises me just a tad more

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

this is my favorite navigator:

We have just folded space from Ix :)

Many machines on Ix :)

New machines :)

Better than those on Richese :)

I did not say this. I was not here. :)

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Everyone at Adventure Island was so pissed when I fell into the water and my body dispersed into component worms with a pearl of my thousands-year consciousness.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I am extremely serious that one of the most satisfying gently caress Yous in science fiction was properly adapted to the big screen when the completely eradicated Atreides house were seen with flags atop terrifying leviathans the size of skyscrapers and being ridden in like horses.

soooo gooooood

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

priznat posted:

Oh my god are you me

It was a trip to the dentist for me

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

The reverse Kwisatz Haderach, accessing the ancestral memories of the guys who never managed to breed

Drink the water of life but be forewarned, you will be flooded with millions of memories of incels masturbating. You will not wake up remotely close to the untraumatized man you were before.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

kalel posted:

if you want to talk about the artistry of adaptation, fetus alia's integration into the story is pretty seamless. like if your starting parameter is "let's compress the timeline of dune's second half" then I challenge anyone to come up with a more elegant solution without eliminating her character entirely.

I was skeptical as anyone about adult vision Alia being dropped into the story but that beach scene after Paul drinks the water is pure badassery.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

In the cinematic universe you can also be upgraded to just a "darling" and then Feyd kills subordinates at random so your goth slim-toothed rear end gets a meal. NGL those ladies were enjoying themselves.

Being a spider sounds worse. The Baron just couldn't compromise in the slightest.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I sure am glad that we live in modern political reality where people aren't constantly climbing to the ranks until their final stop is having their lives ruined and destroyed by the existing monarch.

Hold on my editor is handing me a note-

Who is this Donald Trump fellow??

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

List of good Harkonnen jobs
Thopter pilot
Arena announcer
Arena stomp-chant choreographer
Spider freak
Fireworks dude

I assume the guy in one of the goofy black suits during Feyd's arena battle that barbed the opponent and got yelled at probably had an extremely bad day after the stadium filtered out.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I figure if it was, Mohaim would've made a comment about it.

I seemed like Mohiam cut through the bullshit and made it leave because she knew "it" would understand a voice command.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Finally an art blend of Dune and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Wait really? What are the lines, and how are you sure it's the same character?

She was cool as gently caress. Just sassing Paul all the time and she even gives him his cool new nickname. I was legitimately sad when Feyd cooked her alive.

Yeah she went out like a G. I was expecting to hate the alterations to the plot but she was a total badass. I wish she'd survived into the final movie.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I thought the Helen Mohiam character was funny. She had a nearly Trumpian level of commitment to every disaster.

"Maybe Paul is still alive, don't tell the emperor"

"Sure I wiped out the Atreides bloodline and I was right to do it"

"Your father loses the throne either way"

"We don't take a side, we plan"

In the books, Paul's sister has her killed. Final words probably, "I'm still the puppetmas... ACK"

Scags McDouglas fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 12, 2024

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

kiimo posted:

saying I can't stand that insufferable twink is at least a defendable position but saying he's a bad actor is just straight up false

Good actor + filled the role of what was meant to be a smaller guy taking the moniker of a desert mouse

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

ddiddles posted:

Was the main villain supposed to be laughably inept in the books, he's all hyped up, kills two drugged prisoners, and almost gets owned by a guy whos probably been in that cell for a long time.

The very next fight he just gets fuckin owned and dies lol

The protagonist family is well defined. The antagonist roles are shared by a sea of people. Mostly Harkonnen, Corrino and Bene Gesserit. The movie added suspense to the last fight but in the books the Baron is killed by a little kid, Paul doesn't take a scratch when he kills Feyd, Rabban is killed "off screen", and the Emperor is forced quickly into total submission.

Which is to say, Feyd was not a main antagonist.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

priznat posted:

TBH the only person on the cast that I thought was kind of weak was Walken.

Completely 100% agreed. He can't turn off the Walken voice, and sure, but it instantly breaks the immersion.

I hate referencing the Lynch version but that emperor walked around, said thing in the tone of a politician. Instead we had Super Recognizable Actor that will never escape his typecast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

this thread goes to poo poo when a new movie drops and that makes sense but god i'm not gonna miss the movieposters

as an avid bookposter I can assure you that my faction is even more scorned.