Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Honky Dong Country posted:

Apparently the original intention was for sting to walk outta the steam bath straight up hanging dong and they busted out the underpants at the last minute. I imagine they got thrown away without a thought.

Okay, I can believe this, but think about the implications. This means someone already had those Space Briefs nearby, ready to go, but they weren't intended for the movie until someone said "quick, give me some Space Briefs for Sting!" To which someone replied, "I have just the pair, right here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I am looking forward to this. I'd love to play KOTOR Dune.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I have my dad's old copy of The Dune Encyclopedia. It never occurred to me that it was unusual, but apparently the Herbert estate keeps it out of print so it doesn't distract from whatever garbage they're putting out.

?

It's $30 [for a reprint] on Amazon. Is that a different thing?

Cessna fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 6, 2022

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

https://www.amazon.com/Dune-Encyclo...ps%2C619&sr=8-1

It's a reprint, but it's not out of print.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Prolonged Panorama posted:

That's a questionably-legal on demand print of an OCR version of a pdf scan of the original. So expect some less than perfect graphics and spelling errors from the OCR. And the spine design is pretty bad. It's basically a bootleg book.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the explanation!

I'm thinking of running a game using the Modiphius rpg; this might be a good reference.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

disposablewords posted:

Don't waste your water like that, it'll make you go blind and grow hair on your troutglove.

It's all collected by the stillsuit.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

kiimo posted:

Where's my Muppets Dune

Miss Piggy as the Baron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHK5fBm1YWk

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

quote:

Agility, you say? I can control genital temperature.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Colonel Cancer posted:

David Lynch is finally making the sequel?!?

No, this is a sequel to the SciFi channel miniseries.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Bubblyblubber posted:

I would cut the superfluous 99% of the film that does not involve or reference the Sardaukar throatsinging rave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBEMza8msw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzVC6fROlw4

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mister Speaker posted:

... And the fact that the throat-singing mantra begins with the same "Dreams are messages from the deep" line that opens the film.

I love the fact that there are club remixes of that chant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzVC6fROlw4

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

TK-42-1 posted:

jesus christ why does he talk like that?

Christopher Walken is going to play the Emperor.

This is preconditioning to get people used to his weird speech patterns.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

kiimo posted:

Also apparently he's bald in this film. Amazing.

All Harkonnens are bald in the movie as a visual motif (despite them having red hair in the book), so I guess Feyd will be bald.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Phanatic posted:

I'm so upset at his absence I'm going to want to yell out "O Sting, where is thy death?" in the theater.

This amazing post isn't getting enough love.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SubponticatePoster posted:

Parody falls under fair use :eng101:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

For he is the Kumkwat Haagen-dazs!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Flakey posted:

I do believe it is time to strip naked and have a knife fight.

I'll be retaining my blue winged speedo, thanks.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Push it all the way to Chapterhouse you cowards!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

has anyone read the sisterhood of the bg book its okay you can tell me

I'm about a hundred pages in. I picked up because I'm interested in seeing where they take the (maybe) upcoming TV series. I've never read anything else by Brian Herbert.

It's - okay? It's not bad, but it's very far from great. It's pretty much at the level of quality of a decent 40K novel; basically entertaining, but don't expect anything you'll remember a week later.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Flakey posted:

Sounds like hot garbage and a waste of time OP.

My dude, it's leisure reading. I'm not going to feel bad because I don't spend my down-time reading Marcel Proust.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

And the pugs! The pugs!!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

kiimo posted:

oh come on what about the guy that wrote the character who is "too busy to work out" so he uses some device to work his body out for him making him ripped and when he sweats the oily residue that comes from his body smells so good it makes a soaking Princess Leia delusional with desire to have sex with the giant lizard that isn't even her species until friend-zoned Chewbacca snaps her out of it

Was this before or after the guy with lightsabers attached to his knees?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mad Hamish posted:

David Lynch is a bit of a hack in some days, BUT the Villeneuve movie has a regrettable paucity of Sir Patrick Stewart leading his men into battle with a gun in one hand and an Atreides battle-pug in the other, and that is frankly unforgivable.

The fight that takes place in is in part 2, so there's still hope.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Saw it last night. It was amazing, they nailed it.

I saw it on imax but did not go to an AMC theater, so I'll have to go again to get the bucket.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

notaspy posted:

Another element to this is that they aren't natives, no human is on any of the planets that are settled so can we really call this colonisation?

Native Americans didn't evolve in North America, they arrived (roughly) 15-20,000 years ago - but I'd still call what happens to them colonization.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Leto II canonically mocks the Ixians for not knowing they named their planet and civilization after a misunderstanding of Roman numerals.

bitterandtwisted posted:

lol at todays cinematrix

That's Cinematrnine.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fausty posted:

no no no,
he's the Quiznos Hadasnack

Kumquat Häagen-Dazs.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jewmanji posted:

The reason that Paul willed the jihad into existence (or at least the reason he tells himself) is that the body count from the jihad is somehow less than every other alternative he sees. It’s the least bad option and his tragedy is that he still has to own the responsibility for a holocaust. It’s the same as Leto II’s justification for his regime- as bad as it is, it’s necessary for the ultimate survival of the species. Imo one of the weaknesses of the books is it’s genuinely unclear whether Herbert believes this psycho utilitarian nonsense.

I maintain that the Golden Path is a lie, self justifying bullshit thrown out to keep Paul/Leto 2 in power.

"No, really, humanity is doooooooomed unless you do what I say."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MadDogMike posted:

Honestly, the dumbest thing for me about the Golden Path is the idea of being SO tyrannical that everyone is too sick of it to ever do it again. When has "this is too terrible to ever happen again" ever stopped people? Every bad idea, no matter how terrible, always has some jackass willing to do it because they just KNOW it will work for them this time. I don't care how much of a beef-swelling dick Leto II was, he would never stop somebody else from trying to be terrible. Heck, the two following books show it happening yet again as is. If his real goal was just to scatter humanity so there would never be all the eggs in one basket, you'd think there are ways to do it that are better than "be such a bastard they flee" (which seems kind of dubious as an idea to me to begin with; hell, at minimum it'd probably work better to make them flee while the tyranny was still going, keep them scared of pursuit and running further).

I'm pretty sure that's the point. The Golden Path is a lie and doesn't work anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBEMza8msw