Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tace Vim posted:

Jake Gyllenhaal as Duncan Idaho

AAAHHHH

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/jason-momoa-dune-reboot-legendary-1203140272/

edit:

quote:

Momoa will portray Duncan Idaho, a swordmaster in the house of Atreides who is the right-hand man to Chalamet’s father, played by Isaac.

Finally get our chance to resurrect Drogo...thousands of times.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He'd make a better Gurney to be honest, just ferociously hating Harkonnens. Duncan is a swordmaster though, I just...he's supposed to be smooth. Bond-esque.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yesterday goon saphojunkie texted me this

quote:

You guys I just walked out of DC comics and as I'm walking to my car I hear some dude scream yeah! Like really excited, and I turned around and it's Jason Momoa with double fists in the air walking out of DC with his agent behind him and a huge poo poo eating grin. So whatever is happening… Expect more Aquaman. Or maybe Bullet to the Head 2 just got greenlit lol

I guess Momoa is excited about this. Maybe he takes it seriously.

edit: oh I should mention Legendary, CBSi and DC are all in the same mega building.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 15, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It’s also extra confusing because Herbert wrote different interpretations of the religion taking into account the characters writing the history. So like if that analysis of Paul’s religion is by a religious person they interpret his prophecy as metaphysical even if Paul was just manipulating the missionary protectiva. Its kind of genius of Herbert to create a situation where it could be either.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The thing that Herbert didn't even realize is that the Tleilaxu are decedents of incels.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They have long since moved on from this solar system when Ix came around.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ix's origins doesn't get a lot of explanation until KJA and BH got their idiot hands on it. I choose to ignore everything those two ever wrote.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dave Dastmalchian joins the cast of Dune as Piter!!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm curious to see how they handle all the internal monologue and the abstract concepts like the Golden Path. Do they just make it a cool action movie or do they risk losing an audience with the whole "the water of life connected my mentat training to my bene gesserit training and now my mind is a super computer that can see all possible paths thereby perceiving the future and all roads end in the extinction of all life thanks to those bene tleilax fucks creating a super self-aware hunter seeker that will destroy all organic life so now I need either me or my son to become a tyrant for 3500 years just to guide humanity in a 3 millennia renaissance festival just to make sure that doesn't happen also sandtrout are cool watch my kid turn into a gigantic worm, take that dennis rodman, whom no one remembers but me" because I'm not sure how that will translate on screen.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

All I know is I better see Phillip J Fry getting enslaved by Honored Matres in a "death by snu snu" imprinting scene.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

Goons: I'm really worked about how an artist will perform the impossible task of nonverbal communication

Well it hosed Up Lynch’s version sooo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some of the series' cast were good (Liet, Jessica, adult Alia) but if they weren't good they were loving atrocious. Also don't hire a French fashion designer to do the costumes ever again.

That also would have ruined Jodorowski's Dune, btw.

This poo poo right here.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The country's history of getting poo poo on by every powerful empire right next to them throughout history has embedded the people's faces with a certain weariness and war-torn nihilism that translates well to the Landsraad.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Communist Walrus posted:

Going to go ahead and quote myself here:

But I'd like to amend it because now I also think that duneauthor and KJA are going to get chairs with their names on them.

For a visual example, see the gradual minimization of the two writer characters in the movie For Your Consideration, except in this scenario no one ever listened to these guys to begin with and they played no part in the writing of the work being adapted.

Trust me on this one, they'll get to see the trailers, make idiotic suggestions and cause a perfect trailer at version 36 to turn into a benign dumb trailer at version 52 but thankfully that won't affect the movie at all.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

"Good" is a really relative term? They made Princess Irulan an actual character which (while I understand the desire to make her something more than the furniture she is in the first book) was sort of :wtf: in terms of narrative?

She had a pretty substantial role in the books, too, if I remember. She is probably responsible for Chani's death, abandons the bene gesserit and raises Leto II and Ghanima. Also basically writes Dune.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also God Emperor and Heretics are extremely philosophy-heavy but the action kicks way the gently caress up in Chapterhouse with some original Dune-ish action moments that rock.

mentat projection: I am moving at dangerous speed

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just know that 1 is possibly the best sci fi adventure novel ever written and the other 5 are very different and still engaging and interesting but in a completely different and way more cerebral way.

edit: and the other novels around it are corpse-raping® poo poo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

andrew smash posted:

Heretics has Teg go super saiyan and also a digression on interior design

Wait I thought Teg was Chapterhouse but I haven't read them in years. Teg is under-appreciated.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shageletic posted:

I remember digging the philosophical digressions in the last two books, it was extremely my poo poo.

And about the TV shows, they get extremely good with Children of Dune. James MacAvoy inexplicably stars in it.

And is incredibly good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

except that it always leaves me craaaaaving a shower and a big glass of mineral water. Is it the same for everyone, or just for those of us who live on the edge of deserts already?

When I first read Dune especially during the love scenes I am imagine that every freman who comes back from the desert at night takes off their stilsuit and steps into a pressure sealed water vapor blast shower that cleans them without wasting a drop. Other times I imagine their stilsuit was so effective in removing water that it also removed all impurities and kept people fresh and clean underneath. This is the only way I can not barf every time I think of what they smell like.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Was that inspired by the Shroud of Turin or something

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Before he died Frank did a bunch of college talk tours. I really wish I had been old enough to go to one. He apparently had a very weird high voice so I don't think anyone wanted an audio book read by him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thank you for reminding me of the measure of distance known as a thumper, I legitimately love it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I enjoyed almost all (read: all) Lynch's creations.

The heartplugs. The weirding modules. The Guild vagina mouths. The cat milking.

Especially the cat milking.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Apparently it had majestic ceilings in all the sets but they couldn't get the cameras to pan up and they were completely wasted. There's a whole world above them we never see.

And then he goes and makes Paul create rain for some reason.

The very best Dune movie is in there somewhere. I hope Dennis borrows a lot from it and completely ignores some of the atrocities of the mini series. Like the reverend mother saying "that's right child...PRAY!" when he starts reciting the litany on fear. Like...wtf. Mohaim wasn't loving sadistic when she gave him the gom jabbar test.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That clock really values 5:00

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He was the best Feyd but they didn't do justice to his character. They could have had a metamorphosis of him turning twisted by, among other things, having to murder every girl in the pleasure wing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nessus posted:

Ask him when he will face Gritty in the arena

Who is the orange one? A pet perhaps?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was looking for #4 but then realized it isn't out yet.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Edit: also I’ve been toying with the idea of a Dune tattoo for my 40th birthday but I don’t want some basic bitch obvious stuff like the litany against fear or a sand worm. How do you visually represent “hero worship is a major human flaw that should be excised ASAP and also thopters are cool”?

A turtle with Beast Rabban's head on it and "HOLA CHOAM" written on it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ray Finkle's story is extremely sad. Get the help you need, Ray.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

AHHHHHHH my brother has the Dune script in his hands do I ask do I avoid spoilers I am having a crisis

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I asked for one single solitary spoiler. It's a description of the opening scene and a very brief description. I won't say what it is but it sounds very very promising.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Why are you doing this? Stop at once.

holding onto this info like

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Can you give us any vague ideas? Like why is it promising?

Lean and muscular, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen hunched forward next to the
ornithopter pilot. He peered with spider-black eyes through the pitted
windowplaz, smelling the ever-present grit and sand.
As the armored 'thopter flew high overhead, the white sun of Arrakis dazzled
against unrelenting sands. The sweeping vista of dunes sizzling in the day's
heat made his retinas burn. The landscape and sky were bleached of color.
Nothing soothed the human eye.
Hellish place.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Temaukel posted:

Brian Herbert is the emperor.

e: I just wanted an excuse to repost this dude's face because lol:

https://twitter.com/officialavatar/...er%3D90%23pti17

...wait a second

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I know Paul never folded space, the threat of ending spice production alone was enough to freak the Guild out and thoroughly do whatever he wanted.

I think Leto used the Guild for a while but part of his Golden Path was reducing space travel and forcing humanity into a Renaissance middle ages Pleasure Faire kind of existence so there wasn't much space folding to be done.

I'm not sure where no-ships fall into this sort of thing but I don't remember the Guild being part of that.

Also I found it very uncomfortable that there was a Guild navigator involved in the wanna be plot in Children against Leto II and he was a whiny bitch that the others looked down on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Father the author has awakened

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think alien flora and fauna exist but the important thing here is that Frank didn't spend a bunch of time on them perhaps because your book sounds pretty hokey if you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like the more weird animals based on human animals you have the closer you get to the Star Wars EU trope of taking a normal name and spelling it weird to make it more fantastical.

Lookin at you, Jacen Solo