Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
He doesn't even make references most of the time, it's like, here's a list of shows and a wikipedia article on them. It's all the most accessible stuff too, most of it was popular enough to be considered pop culture but it's all presented as stuff that only REAL NERDS will remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
So this is basically just a compendium of better authors/substance, with a sprinkling of context. Huh. Maybe it will work out for the best and people will read the source material and discard this loving tripe.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I thought of a fun take on the idea for a book, you could still have a (much better written) 80s nostalgia wankfest in the same dystopia plot, but have way more fun with it by taking properties from that time that never got off the ground, out of alpha, more than a few episodes, only book instead of the planned five, etc. Then act as if those properties were the dominant ones that succeeded, and flesh out an entire weird entertainment alt where this 80s stuff developed into the hosed future he lives in, allowing you to do a lot more with it in a story while still having 'recognizable' properties littered around.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Unpopular opinion for this thread: Spielberg is a good director, and he never stopped being a good director. He's never made a single film I wasn't entertained by (yes that includes whatever movie you're about to say).

The source material is utter trash but so was the source material for Jaws.

However I will admit that in this case, unlike with Jaws, the fundamental concept is pretty much utter trash so.....

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Spielberg is a good director, and he never stopped being a good director. He's never made a single film I wasn't entertained by

Weak troll 1/10

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Weak troll 1/10

It's true. I think Steven Spielberg, the acclaimed director still widely considered to be one of the greatest working today, is a good filmmaker who consistently makes solid, enjoyable movies. I understand this may be too much for GBS to handle, and I'm sensitive to that fact.

e: I even liked War Horse. It was a nice, heartwarming little movie.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I can't think of an out-and-out bad Spielberg film but War Horse or the last Indiana Jones movies are both pretty weak. I don't really disagree with you broadly, though.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Spielberg is a little saccharine for my taste but hell that''s always been true. That was true when he made American Graffiti ten million years ago.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Time passed and it didn’t do as well on a re-read. It’s still a little perplexing to me how HATED it is though. I’ve read far, far worse.

I haven't read RP1 but judging by the copious excerpts posted here it's a worse example of writing than the Brian Herbert / Kevin J Anderson Dune books. Which is a loving accomplishment.

I got handed the first three of those by a dumb friend and managed to plow through them. A couple of times I started literally laughing out loud at how terrible and dumb they were. But every single piece of RP1 looks equally as bad as the worst bits of those books. Like, I don't know what kind of books you're reading you're read far, far worse.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jim Barris posted:

I can't think of an out-and-out bad Spielberg film but War Horse or the last Indiana Jones movies are both pretty weak. I don't really disagree with you broadly, though.

Whatever else can be said, Adventures of Tin Tin was a fantastic film. So was Lincoln. Both made in the last seven years.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jim Barris posted:

Spielberg is a little saccharine for my taste but hell that''s always been true. That was true when he made American Graffiti ten million years ago.

That was Coppola, you fool.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

That was Coppola, you fool.
No actually it was George Lucas but whatever E.T. then it's all the same bullshit.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

mind the walrus posted:

It speaks to the general insipidity of references as a substitute for narrative weight via an insanely particular example no one in their right mind would think of as a proper basis for a cultural nexus. Make it Robocop 2 instead of Robocop though.

i'll make the website

edit: i just re-remembered the line about how "I listened to music. All the music. Rock, metal, punk, folk, country. All of it." and got super loving angry about this drat book all over again

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 14, 2017

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Weak troll 1/10
Nah Spielberg gets a ton of poo poo but I've never fully understood why. Yeah he's mawkish and when that fails it fails hard, but he's rarely been out-and-out abysmal and even his failures tend to be more entertaining than a lot of other stuff I see clogging up the release schedule.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Ernest Clien is like the Neil Breen of nerds.

I watched all the shows and listened to all the music. I am a pro at all video games. I am a super elite hacker. I graduated at the top of my class in the air force academy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jim Barris posted:

I actually found War Horse to be quite good. I think where it stumbles is in the progression of time, as there is a huge jump from the opening stage of the war in 1914 to 1918 that is only apparent if you know your history and you read the time card. I mean, Tom Hiddleston gets shot, then the two Germans run away and are executed a day later, and then the horse spends about a week with the french girl, and then the Germans get the horse back. All in 1914-1915.

And then it's suddenly 1918 and the Second Battle of the Somme is kicking off. It's whiplash, even if that section of the film is probably the best.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mind the walrus posted:

Nah Spielberg gets a ton of poo poo but I've never fully understood why. Yeah he's mawkish and when that fails it fails hard, but he's rarely been out-and-out abysmal and even his failures tend to be more entertaining than a lot of other stuff I see clogging up the release schedule.

He's a great director of entertaining movies. What some critics want is an auteur, and Spielberg veers in and out of that territory. There are some directors that made complete bombs and still get respect because there's that vision. Those guys get a lot of slack cut for them. A spielberg movie like Crystal Skull, the only vision you see is the $$$$. Then you have A.I. which should be his most auteur movie (director, producer, writer, complete control) but it's maudlin schlock and not very good either. And even in his best movies there's a lot of really conventional choices and great execution.

So all in all he deserves his title of most commercially successful director of all time, but placing him on the list of greatest artistic directors is tricky. "Most artistic director of blockbusters" maybe?

It's entirely possible that ready player one the movie will be somewhat entertaining -- barfing out references works better when it's show not tell at least. But I suspect that it's gonna be kinda crappy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i am sure the movie will be fine. it just looks so loving cringy.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Klyith posted:

I got handed the first three of those by a dumb friend and managed to plow through them. A couple of times I started literally laughing out loud at how terrible and dumb they were. But every single piece of RP1 looks equally as bad as the worst bits of those books. Like, I don't know what kind of books you're reading you're read far, far worse.

I’ve read a lot of trash fantasy/sci-fi. The kind of stuff that ends up in used bookstores in the literal middle of nowhere isn’t usually great, as it turns out. I can’t think of any titles off the top of my head, but that’s maybe part of the point. Being memorable in a bad way is better than “what was the name of that book with a giant worm destroying London or a castle or something on the cover? NO NOT DUNE GUYS” in my opinion.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Klyith posted:

It's entirely possible that ready player one the movie will be somewhat entertaining -- barfing out references works better when it's show not tell at least. But I suspect that it's gonna be kinda crappy.

It's gonna date really really badly too if they're gonna chase the current pop-culture zeitgeist. In the trailer there's a scene with Tracer from Overwatch, which yeah - super-popular right now - but someone mentioned that in the same scene there's also a character from BattleBorn - a similar game that was never popular to start with, and in the time between that scene being rendered and now, is effectively dead already.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Klyith posted:

He's a great director of entertaining movies. What some critics want is an auteur, and Spielberg veers in and out of that territory. There are some directors that made complete bombs and still get respect because there's that vision. Those guys get a lot of slack cut for them. A spielberg movie like Crystal Skull, the only vision you see is the $$$$. Then you have A.I. which should be his most auteur movie (director, producer, writer, complete control) but it's maudlin schlock and not very good either. And even in his best movies there's a lot of really conventional choices and great execution.
AI was really good. I don't care who hates it. There are loads of major, major flaws-- The Flesh Fair is nowhere near as scary as it should be, the bit with Robin Williams as a carnival Wikipedia was hilariously dated even in 2002--but as a whole it feels like the most down-to-earth and honest about how robots will actually be treated in society. I haven't seen a movie since that feels appreciably futuristic in any way, it's all remixed set dressing of Minority Report and Blade Runner.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Was this guy in a hurry to write this books it reads like he's making a shopping list with bits of narrative to string it all together.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Cnut the Great posted:

Whatever else can be said, Adventures of Tin Tin was a fantastic film.

a better indiana jones than the fourth indiana jones movie, what the gently caress was the deal with that

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Adventures of Tin Tin also had the best use of 3d I have seen. It's use of depth during the action scene throughout the city looked amazing.

The Ready Player One movie is almost certain to be better than the book by virtue of most of the references being primarily visual rather than explicated upon at length in the prose of a wiki editor's dating profile 'things I like' list.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Plus I imagine the people who handle those myriad properties are likely to be grossly, closely, invasively involved with every single character gracing the screen for more than a .5 second background cameo

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The first feature film to be created by a markov text generator

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I wonder how long this book would be without the endless references.

Just remove all the references to something and see the overall [structure & placeholder]

Then, check to see how long this book would be if Cline actually described things with real words and sentences rather than inane references.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Slotducks posted:

I wonder how long this book would be without the endless references.

Just remove all the references to something and see the overall [structure & placeholder]

Then, check to see how long this book would be if Cline actually described things with real words and sentences rather than inane references.
This long:

Wikipedia posted:

Teenager Wade Watts lives with his aunt in the "stacks," a poverty-stricken district constructed of trailer homes piled on top of each other. He spends all his spare time logged on to the OASIS as a "gunter" (a portmanteau of "egg hunter"), an avatar under the moniker Parzival, reading Halliday's journal Anorak's Almanac and researching films, songs, and TV series from the 1980s mentioned therein, as well as playing classic video games. One day, he realizes during a fit of boredom that the location of the first key is on the world of his online high school, in a re-creation of the Dungeons & Dragons module Tomb of Horrors. He meets Art3mis, a famous female hunter and blogger who had been exploring the place, but is then able to solve the puzzle first by defeating its adversary Acererak in the video game Joust. He is awarded the Copper Key, and Parzival appears on the "Scoreboard", attracting the entire world's attention.

Parzival completes the Copper Gate puzzles by playing through the Dungeons of Daggorath video game, and then role-playing Matthew Broderick's character in the film WarGames. Art3mis clears the gate shortly afterwards, as does his friend Aech. His fame enables him to make a living by endorsing virtual products. Nolan Sorrento, head of operations at Innovative Online Industries (IOI), a multinational corporation bent on taking control of the OASIS and monetizing it, try and recruit Wade to assist them in finding the egg, only to be swiftly denied. In retaliation, Sorrento attempts to kill Wade by blowing up the stacks under the guise of a meth lab explosion; he barely escapes death, but his aunt and neighbors are killed in the blast.

Wade lies low, taking up the persona Bryce Lynch and a residence near IOI headquarters in Columbus, Ohio. He briefly considers an alliance with Aech, Art3mis, and two Japanese gunters, Daito and Shoto, who have also figured out the puzzles. Instead, he and Art3mis progress in a friendship, but when he asks her out, Art3mis declines. IOI operatives called Sixers attempt to assassinate the two at the birthday party of OASIS co-founder Ogden Morrow, but are unsuccessful. Five months after the finding of the Copper Key, no one has made progress on the next clue, the Jade Key, during which Wade finds himself more isolated from both Art3mis and Aech.

When Art3mis finds the Jade Key, Parzival scrambles to planet Archaide, where he plays a perfect game of Pac-Man, only to receive a coin as a prize. The quarter becomes stuck in his inventory, and he is unable to analyze it. Aech provides a hint leading him to the planet Frobozz where he solves the text adventure game Zork. Sorrento, who had tracked Art3mis and Aech using a premium locator item, quickly establishes a base there to farm their company's avatars with keys, and soon unlocks the Jade Gate and acquires the Crystal Key.

Parzival unlocks the Jade Gate, a Voight-Kampff machine in the Blade Runner universe, and completes the arcade game Black Tiger as a character from the first-person shooter perspective. Using his knowledge of Rush, he acquires the Crystal Key, and after playing "Discovery", the third track off of their album 2112, discovers a clue that Sorrento overlooked regarding the conditions to unlock the final gate. As he messages Art3mis, Aech, and Shoto with his solution, Sorrento publicizes the location of the Crystal Gate at Castle Anorak, but that he has an impenetrable force field around it.

In an elaborate plan to infiltrate IOI, Wade engineers his assumed identity and is arrested and placed in indentured servitude in tech support. While inside IOI, he uses black market passwords and security exploits to hack into IOI's intranet where he acquires a wealth of information including footage of Daito's murder where the Sixers infiltrated Daito's real-life apartment and threw him out of the building's 43rd floor, killing him. The information also includes the attempt on his own life, as well as plans to kill Shoto and Art3mis in real life. After escaping the corporation, he shares his information with his friends, and publicizes a gathering of avatars to storm the castle. They are interrupted by Ogden, who offers them a safe haven at his home in Oregon. Wade meets the real-life Aech and Ogden, but not Art3mis and Shoto, who are already hooked into Ogden's immersion pods.

The day of the battle, Wade uses his planted hack to bring down the barricade, and a massive fight among avatars ensues. Parzival uses Ultraman to fight against Sorrento's Mechagodzilla Kiryu. After defeating Kiryu using Ultraman's numerous abilities, Parzival and friends unlock the gate, at which point the Sixers use an artifact called the Cataclyst to destroy the castle and all the avatars. Parzival survives from having an extra life (granted by the Pac-Man quarter), and declares he will share his fortune with his friends as he enters the Crystal Gate. With Sorrento and his Sixers on his heels, Parzival plays Tempest, role-plays King Arthur and various characters in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and finally retrieves the Easter egg in Adventure. His victory grants him control of the OASIS, including wiping out his enemies' avatars, resurrecting his friends' avatars, and a Big Red Button that would wipe OASIS once and for all. Sorrento is arrested for the murder of Daito and for conspiring to kill Wade and the others. Back in Oregon, Wade and Art3mis finally meet in person and rekindle their relationship with a kiss.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I hope the main character and his cronies are repeatedly-killed by a low-polygon quake model covered in dick textures that's manned by some 12-year-old running aimbot and noclip hacks

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Listening to 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back is a fantastic cathartic experience for those who read and hated this book.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Slotducks posted:

Listening to 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back is a fantastic cathartic experience for those who read and hated this book.

I'm listening to this and it is indeed great.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

hackbunny posted:

a better indiana jones than the fourth indiana jones movie, what the gently caress was the deal with that

Crystal Skull was only slightly worse than the Last Crusade. Both perfectly good movies. Temple of Doom is the best one, by the way. Raiders is second.

:D

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cnut the Great posted:

Crystal Skull was only slightly worse than the Last Crusade. Both perfectly good movies. Temple of Doom is the best one, by the way. Raiders is second.

This is some bullshit right here.

Temple is terrible. Crystal Skull is goofy fun. Raiders is the perfect Indy movie.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's weird to think that for a lot of these properties the first time they're going to be coming to a feature film is as a ten second cameo in someone else's lovely movie. It's weirder to think that the possibility of seeing a Gundam on the big screen for ten seconds is going to bring in hoardes of idiot nerds and make this the best selling movie of all time because people are trash.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

I know you're trolling but this still bugs me. Good job.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not a surprising review, but a review nonetheless.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/ready-player-one-finds-the-bleak-limits-of-nostalgia-1797497066

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

quote:

Maybe that’s the seductive—and to those who embrace it—profound appeal of a story like Ready Player One, built on the bones of hundreds of others: that somehow we can construct a scavenger hunt of narrative human significance from everything we’ve already consumed, something every bit as spiritual and whole as a more rigorous study and embrace of the world as it is. Maybe there is a mechanism by which we can collect enough skill and armament and enchantment to ineffably cohere as flesh and spirit, something more sublime than meat networked and spasming with electricity.

Cline just hasn’t watched the movie that explains that part yet, and it’s not his fault. Nobody has.

That is some primo :iceburn: right there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah. nostalgia/references isn't bad in the right doses and or when its clever or well done. but poo poo like RP1 is not that and should be a text book lesson on how not to do reference stuff. its also depressingly reverent of the poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why does the poster have a giant egg on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's an Easter Egg GET IT?

• Locked thread