Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
franxx could bear to take itself more light-heartedly, but i do like its sense of style and direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Japanese culture has a complicated relationship with Nobunaga, who ruthlessly broke taboos yet managed to reunite Japan and end the endemic warfare.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im surprised no ones done anything with that goofy egyptian bedsheet god thing that became a jp meme

anyway i watched that hakata hitman show and while it would be good on paper, its directed and written in the most workmanlike low energy way. its not wacky enough for its absurd premise, meaning you never get the suspension of belief like with durarara, and you're stuck wondering how the gently caress a society with 3% being hitmen works

like that 3% would turn into 6% and 12% as the denominator decreases

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i wonder what he thinks of golden kamui he'd probably claw his face off

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm kinda enjoying Grancrest Senki, it's all feudal politics wedded to a hierarchy enforced by magic seals, and the heroine is nakedly the real protagonist of everything.

And wait what the gently caress, it's directed by the Sankarea/Rozen Maiden/Rakugo Shinjuu dude???

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you thought grancrest was bad at pacing you should have seen rozen maiden: zuckerberg

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
isnt the chinese boatgirl ripoff doing well because the original is programmed like poo poo and wont even run on smartphones that everyone would otherwise use to play granblue or fgo

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh neat, Kokkoku was made by the old Manglobe people.

It looks pretty decent, which bodes well for their future work on Golden Kamui.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
is violet evergarden good now

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I started watching Toji no Miko for shits, and I like how there was a twist right at the end of the episode which completely upended the status quo. More stories should go for "MC's one bad day" style of storytelling.

Also, it fired up the imagination. While I have no idea where the story is going with this, are there any stories featuring "chosen warriors vs dimensional invaders" where the "good guys" could secretly close the dimensional gate at any time, but are refusing to do so in order to retain their grip on political power? Grancrest Senki sorta touches on that, except there's no central authority to enforce this, merely alliances of squabbling warlords.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i hope that dude can sell his portrayal

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
get this: anime + smellovision

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/CanipaShow/status/965518701767270402

a terrible day for the cause of freedom of speech to (checks notes) deny the holocaust

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yet another victim of the vast jewish conspiracy to use anime to (checks notes) stop white people from breeding

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
richard spencer is going to kickstart a white supremacist anime by selling his cotton farm

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeah that show eventually gets better as it leans into itself

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I have no idea how they made Houkago no Pleiades good.

Oh, they're also making Piano no Mori.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Aoi Yuuki is probably one of the most talented VAs in that industry. Also Kana Hanazawa's been knocking it out of the park in the Antactica show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
arai makes me laugh my rear end off every time she screeches onto screen

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
that's an interesting point, it feels like there used to be a higher proportion of those kinds of broodier, sedate shows filled with psychological angst. they don't seem as common these days

the last recent one like that was houseki no kuni. studio ig doesnt get as much work as it used to

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Garo had a really cool payoff to the recurring villains constantly going "oh ho ho ho, you are playing into my keikaku" as they run off into the distance. The big bad "villain" hadn't yet grown into his role as villain, the plan was to instigate Sophie to stress out Martin and turn him into the true King. The plan wasn't watertight, so they fact they pulled it off meant they got lucky. What if Sword had killed El Dorado ahead of schedule?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
antarctica is ins anely good, its way better at the drama than the comedy. the final scene of this ep was constructed almost perfectly, the way it was paced out, the way it uses the audience's understanding of mundane activities, dont even need to say a word

the netflix aico show is also pretty deece, its pure sci fi, everything is constructed in a logical way, most characters are intelligent and understanding of one another regardless of their origins (except for the villain, who's easily the weakest part of the show, and needed to be included to have a rationale to shoot things)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
B is a bit of a mess but the detective side story is filled with some excellent characters. It also looks great through and through, I don't remember a single time where it went off-model.

AICO is a very straightforward story, most of the twists in the story are quite logical. Not as much heart, but there are a few good characters in there. It doesn't always look great, half the characters are wearing helmets and suits making them hard to tell apart, and their suits have a complex design, meaning that for some cuts their models go completely off as the individual animator can't quite work out how things are meant to bend or rotate.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I tried out the new netflix sword gai anim, and I’m not enjoying it at all. There’s zero heart, no levity, all meaningless brooding. B was very broody, but even those characters were a blast and you could get into their heads. AICO has some heart, and was also had some intellectual heft to it.

Also the directing is awful, they keep doing a thing where the scene fades to black and goes to a completely unrelated scene with no alignment with the themes of the previous. I dunno, the director is highly experienced, he last worked on show by rock.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

dogsicle posted:

imo the RIS storyline stuff in B is weighed down too much by western cop drama tropes to be worth praising, mostly in regards to the multi-episode final villain confrontation and how incredibly hard Lily gets sidelined, but the portrayal of Keith's tortured genius is also pretty bad. it's just somehow the mashup of it with the supernatural shonen revenge story works to carry the show forward, with plenty of help from a basically flawless production.

even from one episode of AICO i can already see the seams where it feels more like a tv production on Netflix vs B's movie quality. looking forward to something a bit more focused story wise though.

Funnily enough, alot of the CGI in AICO is really well integrated with the traditionally animated bits, to the point where the trad is often not up to scratch. I really liked the design and fluid motion of the power suits, where people would effortlessly flip between on-foot, power loader, to mothership configuration all in one sequence. It's all TV quality, but very high end of TV quality.

Xinder posted:

i thought swordgai was a joke name for something else until i logged into netflix today

Sindai posted:

Apparently it's hilariously bad

B and Swordgai are both from Production IG, which is sorta depressing. I'm... just going to blame the writing and directing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
neat thing i just discovered: the person in charge of the mechanical designs in aico was also in charge of planetes, which also had a distinct grasp of physicality

oh and he also worked on noein

• Locked thread