Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I lasted about 3 episodes into Runaways before bailing. I have no idea why it got so much critical praise.

Re: Home Improvement reboot; Jill better have divorced Tim's rear end or I will be sorely disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
AP Bio is finding its legs a bit. Last couple episodes have been decent. It's still an absurd premise but the show leans into that absurdity which serves it well. The kids are getting more to do and are pretty funny in their own right.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The first Victoria story was amazing; she was sweet and a good match for Ted. Then every subsequent appearance was an opportunity to further poo poo on her character while also providing diminishing returns.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Re: Fargo S3, the problem for me is I just didn't care about any of the characters. Nothing about the season was bad, it was just...stuff that happened to some people.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Do you mean the actor or the character.

I'm going to say "yes", because Hyde became insufferable in later seasons.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

All the CW superhero shows got renewed.

Edit: Also Riverdale, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Jane the Virgin and of course Supernatural. Also Dynasty which I've heard absolutely no one ever talk about.

And no announcement for iZombie. :sadwave:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
AP Bio found its legs in the back half and I'm happy to see there's more to come.

Enjoying Killing Eve so far. It feels like a throwback '80s-90s thriller that you don't see much of anymore; like a Le Carre adaptation except cool poo poo actually happens.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 9, 2018

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the Magnum reboot is keeping the Navy veteran angle with Thomas, Rick, and TC. That could be interesting if they treat it right. The original had a lot of credibility in the early seasons dealing with post Vietnam issues and how they affected the main characters.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Daphne Moon, the live-in physical therapist, maid, psychic, rat breeder, and child TV star. Truly one of the most grounded fictional characters of our modern era.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It's probably because Nicholson's supposedly in declining health, plus I imagine most of his shenanigans were consensual. Well, as consensual as "love em and leave em" can be.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Herr Starr was the only good part of Season 2.

Oh, and the scary hot angel lady who was on Better Call Saul.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Huh, never heard that about Kidman and McGregor before, or about Kilborn's daughter. Was there ever more corroboration on those?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I very much enjoy Joe Pera talking to me. :unsmith:

Edit: "I don't mean to get so down on the dominoes, but it's one of my core beliefs that you shouldn't waste kinetic energy."

:discourse:

Laterite fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 6, 2018

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Oops, turns out we didn't get that Telex to the Benghazi outpost in time; they were all overrun."

*Jack Ryan turns to the camera, shrugs*

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Aside from being semi famous in general, she is super famous specifically in musical theater circles, which you would think someone like Neil Patrick Harris, multiple time Tony Awards host, would know.

Anyway, it just shows he's kind of a prat more than anything.

Twitter was a mistake.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, Sqigglevision wasn't so bad when most people were watching it on a 19" CRT at 480i or whatever. I loved Dr Katz and it's wild to think back now how many now-famous people were on it who at the time were just a bunch of struggling stand-ups.

IIRC only the first season of Home Movies was in SV and the rest were in Flash. Genius show.

Aeon Flux sucked when the characters started talking. It was perfect as a grim 3-minute view into a dystopian techno-future.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Westworld is a beautifully constructed, emotionally resonant, well-acted pile of nonsense.

Also, there is no larger audience outside of critics and reddit/SA/Disqus forums; its actual ratings are abysmal.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Ghosted is a lot better as a bizarre workplace comedy. That scene with Ava and the martinis at the end of the latest episode might be the funniest thing the show's ever done.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Consider the "It's on AMC" factor as well. They're stingy even with Walking Dead, let alone FTWD or Better Call Saul. Preacher probably gets a budget of $100 per episode.

E: I liked Season 2 in general though it had its flaws. Haven't watched S3 premiere yet.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 26, 2018

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I hope they finally settle whether Master Chief is a virgin

The virgin Master Chief vs the Chad Covenant

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I think Killing Eve is still available on the BBC America app, but tied to a TV provider login. I assume it will roll onto Hulu or Netflix sometime in the coming months.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I think the concept of a roast is kind of weird and outdated at this point. Most of the roastees don't really make sense as they're not comedians and/or aren't known for having a sense of humor, plus everyone in the world can roast someone on Twitter anyway.

Norm's roast of Bob Saget was the alpha and the omega; there can be nothing which tops it as he both perfected and destroyed the format simultaneously.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
From what I've read it's her parents that are pushing all this and have been since S1 blew up.

Her dad is her agent, lol, that always works out well.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Ending of Luke Cage season 2 was fine, if grim. He basically realizes he has to turn Harlem into a mashup of Switzerland and Hamsterdam to keep a lid on things. It's all going to blow up in his face, of course.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Golden Girls is great falling-asleep comfort food.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Cloak and Dagger is pretty good; it picks up around episode 3 and keeps building from there. I like that the main characters don't have much typical teen tv drama BS, and what little there is actually serves the plot.

Halfway though "The Lotus Eaters" episode. I'm a sucker for a good time loop story and Dad Joke Hess is great.

Overall I'd definitely rate it above The Gifted and Runaways (bailed on that after 2 episodes), and some of the more middling Netflix seasons.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This week's Castle Rock took a detour into Twin Peaks by way of The Black Tapes and I am 100% here for it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Fun fact, other than Mary Steenburgen, all those actors are older than the Golden Girls cast were when the show ended.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
NOS4A2 rules, I'm looking forward to this.

the teeth oh god the teeth

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Coneheads was terrible the day it was released.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, Episode 10 of Bojack is timely as gently caress.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Future Man rules.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

For real. And also hire Adam Pally, Elisha Cuthbert, Casey Wilson, and Eliza Coupe and also rename it to Happy Endings.

:hmmyes:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The show isn't dying, it's just changing. Almost no one actually watches it on TV as it airs. I think even stuff like Andy Cohen and Carson Daly(!) get better ratings. However, like others said, he's killing it on YouTube. The condensed format makes sense.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

It's too bad I have 0 desire to watch Disenchanted

I had watched the pilot a few weeks back and then moved on to other stuff like Maniac and Castle Rock. Last night I started watching Episode 2 and fell asleep within 5 minutes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Futurama was amazing up until the first cancellation, the movies were pretty decent but not great, and the rest of the CC run was a phenomenon of diminishing returns.

I really want to like Disenchanted, but it just doesn't grab me for whatever reason. Something with Eric Andre and John DiMaggio shouldn't be boring, but here we are.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, War of the Worlds is Spielberg as hell.

Munich feels more like him channeling '70s dudes like Peter Yates, Friedkin, Pakula, etc. Drama, thriller, action but also with an underlying purpose.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That's no dumber than the actual Episode IX spoilers that I read, honestly.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Re: Mid-late season runs; Seinfeld didn't really get cooking until Season 4-5. It had its moments here and there before then (parking garage, book detective), but it wasn't until The Contest that it became a phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
He just doesn't want us to know he adopted a bear from Darkest Peru.