Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm in. it's been, uh... 2 decades since i've beaten this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fungah! posted:

voted sotn too, think i'm gonna try the 99 luck bad stats game this time around

i did that once. it's pretty loving awesome. hard at first, until you start getting all those items, and then i think a little easier.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there any way to play this on PC aside from emulation?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fungah! posted:

luck modes interesting, at the beginning theres no room for error basically at all, but im already drowning in drops and money. cool twist on the game

i like it better, tbh

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
even with luck mode i still had to grind a little bit to get the most epic sword

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
man, you guys are making me want to play this again

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pablo Gigante posted:

I sat down at a confessional and the priest stabbed the hell out of me :stare:

the fact that the game is filled with dozens of cool, mostly meaningless set-pieces like that is one of my favorite parts.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

I love being able to sit in chairs

there's one time you can do it before a boss fight and it loving owns

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it would be badass if someone made a romhack like the metroid one, where it gave you challenge rooms and randomized weapons to beat them with. i tend to fall back on the standbys in terms of gear, but there's some really cool combos you can do.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my favorite crazy-rear end parts of the game are (these are all fairly big spoilers for cool items, so don't read them if you're trying to play fresh):

finally getting the duplicator and going nuts with thrown items and meal tickets

shield rod combos that you might never see but that have some of the most beautiful animations

things like terminus, or sword of dawn, which have these crazy moves that aren't really listed and you need to figure out

being able to equip a chakra or a fist weapon and dramatically change your fighting style

the hidden familiar quests

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
comix zone is pretty loving hard, from what i remember

my personal vote is kid chameleon since it has dozens of secret paths, and the platforming is fun. it's also fairly challenging.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pablo Gigante posted:

I’ve been playing a ton since I got home today, I just beat Orlox. He was an rear end in a top hat. Being a bat owns

orlox has an extremely good chair

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i really hate loving around with all of the skeezy emulation sites that feel like they're each giving my computer a different virus

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
what about a fighting game? definitely not my genre, but it could be interesting.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
looking through the SG fighting game catalog indicates they all kind of suck. i had fond memories of eternal champions, but apparently that is not very good.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got to the point where i realized i had to download a loving ISO burner to make the rom into something playable and i stopped for the evening. really wish i still had a console.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Orville posted:

Dude, if bob can figure out how to work an emulator, what’s your loving excuse?

i mean, i've done it before, it's just a pain in the rear end

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i played last night, using a cleared save file so that i could go directly to luck mode. it is interesting actually dying to stuff instead of steamrolling the game from start to finish. the hallway in the marble gallery with the ball and chain knight and the malachai is actually a difficult little challenge.

The Orville posted:

I got two heavens swords. gently caress yes

that's a good combo

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the room with two armor lords, 6 bone muskets, and 2 blade soldiers in the colesseum is ridiculous with low health

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i highly recommend luck mode. it's cool to get drops to work with without grinding, and the first half of the game is decently challenging

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
phew, werebeasts are down in 2 tries, but i juuuuust barely scraped it out w/ 7 hp, lol

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, i'd forgotten you can watch strategy videos at the librarian to get hints on bosses... you've already beaten

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the next game could be the saturn version of SOTN

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there actually any cool saturn exclusives? i've never played a saturn game in my life, so this is a big blank spot for me

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i killed Richter for a lark, and he's hard as poo poo. i had to use some items that are sort of cheap to beat him, but his sub weapon specials were too powerful for me.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's cool how the game hides a specific set of equipment that makes you completely trounce the first end boss you'll come across, but also puts the stuff to find the secret end boss around the same area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE4o5RshbcM

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
out of all the names to pick for your ancient satanic shaman, why shaft?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my current luck mode set-up has the ring of ares, which boosts your attack by some obscene amount but gives you negative defense. with my current life total i die in 2 or 3 hits, but i also kill everything in the same, so it cuts some of the stat bloat out of the game without forcing me to avoid health ups, or not use armor for stats and effects

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
also, lol i just now figured out how peanuts work

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

Going into "calm freak out" mode after you finally reach the top of that big stairway/bell tower climb on the left side of the castle and a crow knocks you back down into that ghost sword lady and you get shredded

oh man. also those loving flamberge knights with weird high pitched screams + medusa heads.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
huh, poo poo, you can turn the doppelganger to stone. never done that before.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i really wish this game had a boss rush

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
red rust applies curse!?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got it into my head that i want to kill the end boss with the duplicator, so i'm now slaughtering fishmen with the jewel sword

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
actually maybe fishmen don't drop gems? i'll go to the collieseum room with the $1000 bag

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i killed a dozen and didn't get a single zircon. the colliseum room is better anyway i think, since it's close to orlock's teleporter, guarantees $1000 per run, and also has pretty good enemy density.

just $70,000 more to go...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh man, the EP is so bad. i also forgot a minor condition for the best ending and was just a little off, so i got the second to best one and don't think i really care that much.

edit: here it is. i'm going to try to finish the end boss without healing items and might post a vid if i bother to do that. richter isn't super interesting to me, but i might try that.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 20, 2018

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i also avoided the BEST SWORD this time around and liked it a little better. my main weapon ended up being the chakram, which is pretty similar, but the weird attack pattern makes it more fun, imo

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think i'm going to try dropping big metal balls on the end boss's head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'll give either RPG a try, but the idea of random encounters every three steps is not giving me much hope

• Locked thread