Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Splicer posted:

2017 was an international game of Paranoia. Or Fiasco.

What will 2018 be like?

Gamma World?

I tried to come up with a serious answer and failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Someone already made the TG of this I'm sure, what is it?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
What if the map tells you to kill your wife?!

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

hyphz posted:

Well, ok, more seriously, it's going to depend a lot on what her actual interest in getting into RPGs was.

If you try to introduce someone, known to you or otherwise, into RPGs who doesn't otherwise like nerdy hobbies, then there's always a risk that they ask things like "If we can be anything we imagine, why can't I just be King?" "Why do I have to work my way up through levels before I can have fun, when I'm not getting anything in real life?"

No rulebook can possibly resolve those kind of objections, that challenge even the use of any rules at all.

Maybe that wouldn't apply in this case, I have no idea, I don't know the person. But it's always a good idea to have an idea of what their context for being interested in RPGs is.

Play a game that lets you start as a king if that's what she wants? Like there are plenty of games that work around both those objections...

But yeah, asking them what type of story they want to explore is solid advice that could inform what kind of games should be suggested, that's a really good point.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

sexpig by night posted:

I'm angry you've hit my L5R fan ptsd so hard

And when I killed your favorite NPC.

I.
Wrote.
Just.
Like.
This.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Bedlamdan posted:

One’s Greg Stolze dakimura is not a partner, it is an inanimate object and cannot play cardgames.

You can say this all you want, it doesn't make it true.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

DigitalRaven posted:

I kinda made that game. Only it's not just buying gear from a shopping list to create characters, gear is literally the only thing that matters.

gradenko_2000 posted:

drat this owns

:emptyquote:

But seriously, this is a really cool idea!

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
So my Metal Gear Solid loving friend is wondering if there are any MGS themed (in whole or part) games out there. The only one I know of off hand is the literal Metal Gear Solid RISK, but are there others?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I know we just had a discussion over whether or not MGS qualifies as cyberpunk, but The Sprawl comes to mind.

Yeah, that's honestly part of what spurred me talking to him about metal gear again and leading to this. I'll have to look into The Sprawl.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

hyphz posted:

Yea, the “possible harm” exception is obviously because they just cribbed the Three Laws of Robotics and need to deal with the I Robot issue of “I must lock all the innocents up in my Holy Camp because if I didn’t one of them might get hurt in a way that being locked up could have prevented.”

Also the sample adventure seems to feature a guy obsessed with aliens who met some pharoahs in Egypt and build them a pyramid in which he could summon Cthulhu.

But really who hasn't built a pyramid to a dread god?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Sounds... treasonous.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
I've been internally replacing bears with kobolds in every one of these posts and it has yet to fail to work.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's why dire wolves and dire bears exist.

What's a Dire Kobold?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Yawgmoth posted:

A dragon.

:chanpop:

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Bedlamdan posted:

I’m saying modship would be an ideal punishment for that person’s transgressions.

"Thank you for reminding us you exist"

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Xiahou Dun posted:

But what about hyphz?

Do we just have one of those metronome office birds but like with a wiffle-bat with the rules for Apocalypse World duct taped to it that just thwacks down every couple minutes?

Just post a randomly generated map?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

kingcom posted:

This one?

Kept the full quote because lol.

Why do I smell toast?!

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Imagined posted:

I would love this. "Ooh Phil, it looks like Grog the Barbarian is stepping up to the plate. Now he's had a .278 average in his last three encounters, but he found that +1 greatsword at that troll cave and he looks ready to cleave some skulls."
This is why I demand charop'd characters for my players, that avg is embarrassing and brings down the whole production narrative.

Plutonis posted:

Absolutely disgusting.

It's like voyeurism for nerds.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Halloween Jack posted:

The popularity of media where you just watch people talk serves as a reminder for me to occasionally leave my house and talk to people.

Yes I have 50 gigs of podcasts on my hard drive shut up

Just start a podcast about podcasts!

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
I'm being an idiot and debating picking up a used copy of the Dust Revised Core Set. Anyone played? How much would you value it at if so?

I just remember looking into it when I was new into boardgames and being interested but don't remember any refined opinions I might've had.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

drrockso20 posted:

For various reasons miniature based war games have just never been much of a thing in Japan

:japan: a country after my own heart in this one regard.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Countblanc posted:

also drat i didnt expect to see "badwrongfun" in the tail end of 2018, but thats just how it is in this bitch of a world i guess

Time is a snake eating its own tail.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

dwarf74 posted:

I mean hey, I didn't expect my stupid thread title to be used in a weird argument I'm not following, but here I am and here it is.

Honestly, I have no clue what this argument is or is about. Somehow I didn't even realize there was an argument going on.

I'm dense, yo.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Splicer posted:

Imagine four panels on the edge of a cliff. The first moves past it, and heals.

:wow:

Now that's some prime mixed meme material.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

01011001 posted:

I actually do know someone like that, he knows I play tradgames so he was telling me all about one of them. I think it's more so for the comedy aspect than anything though? I forget which one he listens to.

Who knows though, maybe he does want to secretly and is just too shy to be straight out about it.

RPG or boardgame? I definitely know people who listen to RPG podcasts but don't play.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all.

What RPG?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
I was addicted to MtG at the time 3e was getting teased and followed the articles from that.

But I think actually I saw a show highlight DnD, asked a friend if he'd heard of it, and tried the Red Box the next day.

e: What would people recs be for this profile:

Favorite Games: Eminent Domain, Mage Knight, Eternal
Respected Games: Dominion, BSG
Favorite Mechanics: Asymmetry, Bluffing, Hand Management
Favorite Themes: High Fantasy (overdone, but easy sell), Cyberpunk, Bizarre, Anthropocentric
Respected Themes: Bizarre
Favorite RPG: Unknown Armies
Respected RPGs: DRYH, Reign, maybe Delta Green
Games I should, but don't like: Battle Con, MtG
I think the reason for those two is I really don't like the idea of learning a meta to become a better player. It's not one of my strengths and I have a lot of trouble forcing myself too. So suggestions on how to improve on that would also be appreciated.

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 21, 2018

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this sounds like someone who needs Gamma World in their life

Oh, heh, this person is me. And I was cool with the edition of GW I read a bit and played a bit of, but not crazy about it.

Others have suggested Dogs in the Vineyard, which is definitely something I would want to play, but ... no real opportunity too.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
Ooh yeah, I have the Netrunner revised core! I like it, but find the breadth of the meta somewhat overwhelming. I did like core only play though.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Moriatti posted:

Try:

Board Games: Doomtown, Pixel Tactics and Gloomhaven
RPGs: Probably Valor (I've only read it, plans to play it but that won't be for a while) and likely Strike!

Your taste seem similar to mine so yeah, I like these games. Doomtown has a western, bizarre, horror thing going on, but I suspect you would especially be interested in the Morgan Cattle Co., and The Fourth Ring. Doomtwon is definitely not for everyone though so maybe look at a video of someone playing it or something to get an idea on if it's for you.

Right on. I bounced off GH but I think that was because I was joining a campaign en media res. Never tried PT or DT, but if I get the chance I definitely will now!

I've heard of Valor on here, but I'll have to look into it more. And Strike was on my too play list until I realized it would be easier to just get 4e played and that's not happening with any of my groups any time soon.

On recollecting, I did sit down to play Doomtown, the KS'd from like 5 years ago I think, but then the owner decided we should play Epic instead. And while I find high level Epic gameplay interesting enough now too watch, it didn't stick the landing back then.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I'm trying to work on expanding the games I play.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, a big part pf Gloomhaven is building your guy with your friends, it's not a one and done type deal so I can see bouncing off it.

Strike! Is really ideal for one shots and short games IMO, otherwise 4e is probably my go to, just a bit more toys to play with. Come up with a cool enough setting and run it in Strike and people will join.

Let me know how you like these suggestions, and also some of the other stuff, I may crib off the answers you've recieved.

:hfive: Definitely!

It'll probably be a while before I get to try anything recommended sadly. But hopefully sometime soon! I keep meaning to pick up Strike! but always am reminded of it when I'm broke so to the back of my mind it goes.

Trying to think of other games that have interested me: Summoner Wars (ran out of people to play with, never felt super enthused to play it), Mage Wars (I literally don't get the games action economy on a fundamental level, and the only way I could win by avoiding it was actually not legal after some research, so I stopped wanting to play it - the game kinda reminded me of playing a multi-unit hero in a moba, another action economy type deal I'll never get), various TCGs (no one wants to get recommended these :P), Not Alone (only played once, I liked what it was going for but don't know if it's implementation would keep my interest), Castles of Burgundy (point salad euros are usually a miss, but this is the one I most remember playing?), Risk 2142 (wouldn't play it now, but at the time I first played it, it felt revolutionary), BatHotH (I loved this when it first came out, spent nights running through it with friends, I don't think it holds up and I'd rather not play it because the less I'm reminded of how poorly done it is the happier I am with my memories of how much fun I had), and that's what I can think of off the top of my head. Obviously lots of these I've grown out of, but there's something in a lot of them that interested me as a less experienced tradgamer and a more refined game that did something similar could probably draw me in.

Oh, on the RPG front: DnD 3 and 4 have mixed memories (though generally much more positive for 4, both because of its elegance and the increased maturity of my gaming groups), Ars Magica (always interested, will probably never play, the bookkeeping would probably kill me?), Dark Heresy (never got far with this one, but I had fun STing it), nWoD (Hunter was the best rpg gaming experience I've had, we rotated story teller and I really enjoyed my character, which I didn't even make and misread the concept (it was paranormal PI, I read paranoid PI - which came back to bite me when in our last session I did something crazy paranoid and they were like "why would you do that?!"), I kinda enjoyed Vampire though those friends consider it superhero-y now), oWoD (actually pretty bad memories, but I was really new to the hobby), also I think I prefer Unknown Armies 2e to 3e for gaming, but plot wise 3e seems more solid.

Sorry for the wall of text y'all.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Yawgmoth posted:

Please tell me what's wrong with it because it seems like a game that would be right up my alley but I have been burned by that type of game before.

Haven't played, and totally feel you on the idea that it seems cool, but watching gameplay and sitting on the idea of interacting with the premise through the mechanisms I saw completely soured me on it.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
I wonder if the game qua game would be improved by it not being real time and the experience be better if it highlighted new results in some way?

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
I actually really appreciate your divergent take!

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
I just saw a CaH tournament at a bar advertised.

I just died inside.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's a good starter guide here, and you could always ask around the BattleCON thread!

It's still possible BaCon will click for me, but I generally don't like heavily meta dependent games? I'll check out that link though!

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Lemon-Lime posted:

Unless you mean something different, it's about as far from "meta-dependent" as possible because it's entirely matchup-dependent. The only "meta" characters are the 4-5 characters that are clearly a bit too strong, and they're all getting hit with the nerf bat as part of this Kickstarter.

Sorry, yeah, the idea of learning matchups is synonymous with learning a meta for my tcg addled mind.

I realize this is pretty unreasonable. ;_;

e: let me clarify a little, I like learning how a "deck" plays, I like learning how different decks play, I don't like learning how deck A needs to play deck B specifically, as opposed to how deck A needs to play generally. I recognize learning matchups is a huge part of most competitive games, it just feels bad to me?

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 23, 2018

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

That Old Tree posted:

oh my god dude

Are you not impressed?!

vvv I don't. vvv

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

That Old Tree posted:

^^^^^ Google Translate is your dark revelation, my friend!

Yeah I did that after realizing it was the name you meant. My bad.

vvv :hfive:

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You can rail about dungeon-raiding being home invasion all you like

I have never heard this expression. It is evocative.