Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

So I found this thing of a Microlite20 being heavily adapted towards D&D 5e.

What is the preferred binding method for a work like this that only runs to 17 pages? I feel like ring-binding is excessive or might not fit.

I tend to use a quick and dirty staple-based saddle-stitch for small books like that. They make specialized staplers for binding a book this way, but you can get comparable results with a stapler that folds open; just be mindful of your stapling surface if you do it that way! If you want to get fancy, you can bind with thread, and that opens you up to a bunch different binding techniques.

Of course, all of this requires either downscaling your printed page size or oversized printing in order to create bifolds. As a result of the bifold process, documents with a page count evenly divisible by four have the best results. So the document in question is a perfect length if you can live without having the character sheet as part of the book.

If you want to keep the text at original size – and as loose leaves – your best bet is some form of clamp binding like binder clips or a report/presentation cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

Didn't D&D (or was it Pathfinder?) run with card packs for the various classes that gave you a randomized selection of powers? I can't remember if it actually was in the CCG style or not, but it would certainly lend itself to it!

I'm late to the party, but in addition to the Gamma World 7E cards, WotC totally attempted the same thing during 4E's lifespan. They were called Fortune Cards and came in random boosters just like their Gamma World counterparts. Now, this was definitely later in the edition's lifecycle and was primarily pushed through the Encounters organized play program, but randomly acquired mechanical boosts existed. And they were No Actions, to boot.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 18, 2018

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
The Platonic ideal of Keyforge is probably a great game for highlighting player skill.

The Platonic reality of Keyforge will likely be RNG: The Gamening, given that FFG have a less than stellar track record when it comes to balance.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, I just answered my own question. Two manila folders, one on each side. :getin:
If you want something made of sterner stuff, you could substitute some chipboard or the like if you need a sturdier backing, but it'd be tougher to get a nice fold/score going compared to a folder.

The cover stock version I used for a Call/Cats of Catthulhu one shot worked pretty well, but you might want some binder clips at the bottom of yours to help keep them from falling down. I had a pretty noticeable :randvince: problem.