Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
And in conclusion, it is impossible to play BitD and there have been no successful games of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I think we're concluding the Zeitgeist 4e campaign arc tonight. And the timing goes wrong and it's not tonight... next week.

We've been playing this since ... wow, I think mid- to late-2014, so around 3-1/2 years. And it's kind of crazy it's all coming to an end.

No real advice needed, grievances to air, etc. It's just been an amazing journey, and it'll be really hard to match the quality and complexity of this campaign in the future.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We did it. We finished Zeitgeist for 4e, ran it from level 1-30. Bittersweet, folks. Like finishing a fantastic book series.

I did a small write-up over here in the 4e thread. It's spoiler-iffic.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

The reboot was because of the delay due to the original artist getting arrested for beating his wife.

e: to clarify, the guy got arrested, then kicked off the book.
I really wanted to like it afterwards, but none of the replacement artists did a great job, IMO. And the delays seemed to hurt the tone and quality of the writing quite a lot. All things considered, letting it rest in peace is a pretty good outcome.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm running the classic Death In Freeport for my players right now in Shadow of the Demon Lord.

And holy loving poo poo every single NPC is a guy. Every single one. It's reminding me how far we've come since 2000.

Anyway. I'm taking an axe to that and have already changed two tough orc dude pirates into happily married badass orc women. I'm looking for more to change up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The sentence is real weird but it looks like he's saying "Grognards Go Home"?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

I mean, having seen how he looks like, I would not at all be surprised if he sexually harassed women. Not accusing nor, especially not, defending, just saying that he definitely looks like the type of guy who would pull that kind of atrocious stuff.
Can we not?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
One of my best friends from high school - Doug - is the reigning world Diplomacy champion.

We played it once, I think, about 20 years ago. I don't remember how far we got, and I realized it was really not my thing. :) I think we always had a lot more fun playing D&D, Earthdawn, and - horror of horrors - Mythus, before we knew any better.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
D&D, much like American politics, is fundamentally about killing things and taking their stuff.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I forget - is Jeff Rients good grog or bad grog? He's doing a thing at our public library.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ettin posted:

Jeff Rients is friends with/licks the boots of the OSR community's stalker weirdos. Last year, when GMS got sick of Zak's poo poo and posted screenshots of the private G+ group he uses to send his mates after people, Jeff was unironically telling the people that group was targeting that they shouldn't say anything in public because it's "inviting more of the same". Besides being a victim-blaming moral child he seems pretty okay though.
Got it. May sit it out, may not.

He's apparently a professor at our local state university. He seems like a kind of weird choice for an event speaker, but hey.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Raise your hand if you thought the Glaive on the AD&D weapons table was a sweet five-bladed oversized throwing star, and not a bladed polearm of some kind. Bonus points if you let your players use them as throwing weapons.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Look at this scrub whose first thought was WarCraft and not Krull. :colbert:

:bahgawd::respek::bahgawd:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That guy is a badass and more games need cyclopes with throwing tridents.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

I always thought glaives were this:

That's a Gladius!

Funny thing, apparently that was what Colwyn's weapon was called in the Brazilian release.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

xiw posted:

The Tragedy of GJ237b - A role-playing game for no players

https://medium.com/@balehman/the-tragedy-of-gj237b-928cfeae460b
I dug this a whole lot more than I thought I would.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Plutonis posted:

It looks like pretentious claptrap.
Wait are we back to talking about Exalted already?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

No, it comes from that stupid movie Krull.
Excuse me, I think you'll find that Krull is not only an amazing movie, but also that you are a poo-head with bad taste.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh yeah, Earthdawn monsters were great. They had some writers there that really understood how far you can bend horror without making it parody. Most of the horrors felt genuinely terrifying and it only got worse in the adventures where what they could do became set pieces. If I remember correctly there were two horrors in Parlainth that became so bored with no one to torture that they each created a race of sentient automatons to pit against each in elaborate games. I even remember being won over by the blood elves because what they were going through was in no way romanticized in the usual "tragic anti-hero" way.
Earthdawn had soooo many good ideas. And yeah, some of the Horrors were definitely great. IIRC, Chantral's Horror was particularly chilling.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Countblanc posted:

did that Unity game ever come out
He took the depth and breadth of feedback to heart and decided that incorporating it was worth a delay. Good decision, IMO.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

grassy gnoll posted:

How did 7th Sea 2E shake out?

Only somewhat related, did the genericized version of FFG's Star Wars engine fix the rocket tag problem?
ARB gave a pretty good answer.

For me, I think the system is dog poop, and it's completely taken all the wind out of my sails, as far as running it goes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
There's an NPC in the Zeitgeist adventure path where that's his shtick. It is toned down in a lit of ways, thank goodness, but the dude can also use them to effectively fly.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

So are Immovable Rods attuned to their user, like Exalted gear? What's stopping the enemy from using their combat action to just grab the rods, push the buttons, and stow the rods?
Depends on their activation. I'd say pushing buttons is on the table, myself.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm gonna have to invest in a hardcover for Fragged Empire. It's just not clicking, and I think the inability to quickly flip pages is the issue for me (since that's literally my learning process for rpgs).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy shitballs.

They're playtesting for Pathfinder 2e.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderplaytest

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's just going to be Pathfinder with very minor changes to justify changing the cover and charging money again.

Oh you had better believe it. "Fixing" in this case will be "changing everything just enough that it's less of a cluttered, overstuffed mess for at least a few months."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Lol

The first heading is literally "New, but the Same"

http://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo5lkl9?First-Look-at-the-Pathfinder-Playtest

e: Seriously it's like "this is super innovative!... if all you know is Pathfinder..."

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 6, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Looking at the blog it's basically "5e with houserules"

Because it's Paizo and of loving course it is.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Erik Mona chimes in! http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?622598-Paizo-Announces-Pathfinder-2nd-Edition!&p=7360220&viewfull=1#post7360220

quote:

Just wanted to chime in here to say that the depth of options in character creation and advancement is a core principle of Pathfinder's design philosophy, and that has not changed with the new edition. If anything, there are even MORE ways to customize your character with the new rules, but we hope that they are better explained and work together a bit more seamlessly than all of that type of stuff does in the current version of the game.

While it's reasonable to assume that developments in other games have gone into some of our thinking with this new edition, it'd be wrong to assume that we're explicitly trying to make the game more like 5e, or like any other game. What we're trying to do is make the very best version of Pathfinder that we can.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

remusclaw posted:

If Ultima 7 is bad, what is good?
Ultima V.

And yes, Planescape as a whole is just one big example of 90's RPG excess.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i can't see a savage worlds thread, so i'll ask here. are there any good pulp supplements for savage worlds? I'm going to run a zeppelin pirates game so i need some stuff. i have the pulp gm guide and the pulp toolkit but i can't find anything else useful.
Isn't that basically the default for Savage Worlds?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/SICKOFWOLVES/status/973272746112069634

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Is Pepperoni lawful good?
More like lawfully good, amirite?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/WOIN?utm_source=sendy&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=289WOIN

Is there any Earthly reason I should even look at this fantasy Heartbreaker? It's the old is new thing from the guy from ENworld. Its on sale on the bundle of holding.
It prides itself on being a crunchy kind of game, and I personally don't have much time for that sort of thing anymore.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I call Spectral Woof Greepy

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So we don't have grogs.txt anymore, and this definitely isn't Industry, so I give you um ... this.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?623152-When-Fantasy-meets-Medieval-Europe

"Elves come from "West over the Sea" in other words they are native to North America, they have discovered Europe in this setting rather than the Europeans discovering America, as of 1100 AD, this hasn't happened yet. Dwarves live in underground kingdoms in the various mountain ranges of Europe. Orcs come from the Asian steppe. Halflings and Gnomes come from South America. Half-elves and half-orcs are created from the Union of elves and humans in the first case and orcs and humans in the second."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, one of the big sticking points is that the dude is basically using some real-world religions and cultures, while completely eradicating - say - steppe nomads, and replacing them with orcs.

And it gets more and more crazy as the thread goes on, because the dude is completely insistent on using Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

quote:

1) D&D is based on Medieval folklore and fairy tales.
2) D&D has clerics and druids that get their spells from deities.
3) The technology of D&D is Medieval, not Ancient as in Ancient Rome and earlier which was the time of those pagan deities.
4) In 1100 AD, In Europe, the Ancient Gods are in decline or a thing of the past, the new religion is Christianity and Islam, but I am not bringing up Jesus. Both religions worship one God, what they believe about that God is different, but I am not getting into that. What is true is that the pagan gods of Europe belong more in the classical period and earlier, the days of the Roman Empire.

5) If I'm going to base this campaign world on history and have recognizable place names and cultures, then I have to use Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. I don't have to get into the specifics, all I need to do is explain how the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim clerics get their spells from. They believe in different things about God and everything, but the one factor they have in common is a belief in a single God, so I'm going with that. This God does not typically make personal appearances, Jesus is not around in this time period and neither is Mohammad or Moses. So I don't have to involve them. All I really require here is a mechanism for monotheistic clerics to get their spells, their agendas are their own. So I have a force for good and a force for evil, that evil force is Satan, all three religions have a Satan or something like him. I don't care about the minutia of each religion or what drives them to go to war with each other, such as in the Crusades, it is a conflict between humans, not between gods or a God with himself.

Cool map tho.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It just keeps going deeper and deeper and deeper. Okay so Mars and Venus are still around, and their respective planets are all still full of people who worship them.

quote:

Because Venus and Mars have large populations of humans that worship these two deities, they are still active. People on Earth who still worship Venus and Mars, usually keep that fact a secret, lest they be burned as witches, this is true in central and southern Europe and in the Middle East, in Scandinavia, this is tolerated a bit more as that region is still in transition from paganism to Christianity. Lots of bloodlust and warfare still keep the god of war going, even if they are fighting over Christian causes. In some respects, one can say, they God of War managed to subvert the Christian Crusade against Islam, by getting the Crusaders more interested in looting and pillaging than in conversions! Mars loves battle for its own sake, he doesn't care about the underlying reason for the conflict! Venus is much the same but with love, she finds Priest's Monk's vows and chastity a bit of a challenge for her, and she loves to test their faith! Sometimes clerics of Venus and Mars will masquerade as Catholic Priests to advance their true devotions, these pagan deities will grant their spells, thus allowing them to blend in with their true believers.

Usually its bloodlust which allows Mars to corrupt militant Catholic Priests, Mars will often answer their prayers instead of God, if they are really determined to carry out their battles against the Muslim Infidels, and you know Venus can cause a priest to meet a beautiful woman, and maybe she can get something started between them in secret. Priests that give into their temptations with a woman, may find their prayers sometimes being answered by Venus and they might fall into her orbit, while at the same time maintaining their positions within the Catholic Church for as long as they can get away with it. Venus often helps them to maintain their secret affairs for as long as possible, she loves illicit affairs, having had a few of those herself.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

That thread starts side-eye crazy, transitions into absolute crazy, transitions further into shithead crazy, apparently involves the holocaust in a bit that got deleted, and ends with me noting that it took until page 13 for someone to point out "hey you're kinda claiming that all non-Europeans are inhuman monsters" and that nobody gets banned because it's ENWorld.
It is shocking how lunatic it gets, isn't it?

Add in a good dose of Celebrim's medieval Catholic apologia (no you see the Spanish inquisition wasn't that bad and also wasn't sanctioned!) and it is serious crazytown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
"I randomly rolled the populations of real-world cities because looking them up would be :effort:"

quote:

...I then when over the original, and on a notepad coped a hex number for each hex with a metropolis on it, then next to it I wrote the name of the city, and I rolled the population of each city with a d100 using this method:

Roll 1d100: If result is from 1 to 25 multiply by 1,000 and add 25,000 to get the population; if the result is from 26 to 50 multiply the result by 3,000 and add 25,000 to get the population; if the result is from 51 to 75 multiply by 5,000 and add 25,000 to get the population; and if the result is from 76 to 100 then multiply by 7,000 and add 25,000 to that number to get the population. These are the largest cities in Europe, I'm not sure what the actual populations were in 1100 AD. I suppose I could look it up somewhere and their were some educated guesses based on archeological evidence, but this is a magical world paralleling our own, but not 100%, so I don't let the facts get in the way of creating this campaign world. Next up are the large and the small cities. Anything smaller than a small city is too small to appear on this map, as each hex is 31 miles. The original map had hexes as 50 kilometers, so I converted it to Imperial Units and got the number as 31 miles. The metric system just doesn't look good in a fantasy universe, customary measures imbues an more traditional feel to the setting without the science metric system, which describes better a science fiction universe. I don't think knights in shining armor should be talking in kilometers but in miles, so this is the in game unit of measure and the units the players use to measure the map scale.
....but gender roles are totally worth it.

quote:

If you have an army of soldiers where exactly 50% of them are women and 50% are men, where does this happen? Not in the real world. Not in the United States, not in any country I know of. Some women want to be soldiers, but most women do not. I'm not saying they shouldn't be, I believe it is up to them, that is just my experience after talking to many women. I've talked to a few female soldiers, and I can tell you that it was really special to meet them, I respect what they are doing for the country, and I appreciate their sacrifice. I am just trying to be realistic. Medieval Europe was a certain way, that is history, I can't change it, but I am trying to bring out a little of that atmosphere, it adds to the drama more, than to have unrealistic absolute equality between the sexes in medieval times. I am sorry, but there is something unusual about a woman wearing plate mail armor on the back of a horse, it is the exception to the rule that draw attention and makes people famous.

quote:

A 13-14 year old boy would probably be the equivalent of his mother in combat statistics, since he is not fully grown, though I think maybe his mom would be a better shot with the bow, since she had longer to practice her archery skills. The boy would probably be armed with a sharp edged farming implement and a dagger. a 15-16 year old boy would be bigger and stronger than his younger brother, his sister, also 15-16 years old would have a knife and a short bow.