Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

2018 SUCKS!

gently caress sakes at least play the new edition before bitching about the changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Shut the gently caress up you insufferable arsehole.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Sion posted:

So, on the subject of literally fuckin' anything else how's everyone's week shaping up? I'm back at work tomorrow oh no

Been weirdly productive for a couple of weeks now, using reminders and checklists rather than my memory for task management. Doesn't have any of the other markers of a hypomanic episode, so I'm not sure of the cause. I'm cooking more and my flat's less messy, and as a result I'm feeling... what's that emotion, the one that makes people bare their teeth and make weird barking noises, but that doesn't involve punching people? That one.

Rehearsing this week for a gig, so I hope I can get someone else to write the notes in my Sunday night game because after eight and a half hours drumming over the week, my hands are going to be hosed. Hopefully it's going to be the last session of our L5R beta game. Hopefully both because there's bits of the system I hate with a passion, and because we've been playing this game weekly for a year now and I need a break from fantasy samurai for a bit.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Leraika posted:

What issues did you have with the L5R beta, btw?

I've been looking at it, but it's hard for me to get over WEIRD FFG DICE BUY A NEW SET OR THE APP.

Bear in mind that I like some of it — the special dice are actually kinda cool when you get used to them, and Ring as approach are both really good. But...

• Multixaxis special dice, counting successes, opportunities, and strife do not mesh well with roll&keep. They might, except...

• The system is inconsistent as to whether rolls benefit more from successes or opportunities, and players also want to minimise strife, so it’s three axes with the relative value of each axis varying roll to roll, so players frequently have to run through several possible sets of dice to find the best option.

• There is a split in our group as to how exploding dice work — whether an explode-plus-strife forces you to take the strife if you only keep the exploded die. I would have a lot easier time telling the GM he is wrong if the book weren’t so loving wordy. Speaking of...

• The text is way too loving wordy. It’s the D&D 5 problem, everything’s written out longhand. Half the time the text is so fluffy it leads to multiple interpretations. Other times, it buries one sentence of pertinent rules in four paragraphs of over-written twaddle.

• Advancement is twenty kilos of rancid horseshit in a five-kilo bag, but Cirno’s covered that elsewhere already.

• The similarities between kata, rituals, kiho, maho, shuji, and spells are good ideas, but leads to players having too many options in some situations, while some others are speed-bumps.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

Question:
Is there a Lasers&Feelings variant set in classical errol flynn style-pirates? Or any other quick, easy and dirty pirate-themed rpg you can learn in less than 20mins?

Gimme a couple of hours? I have one half-written around here somewhere that I can finish off...

EDIT: Here it is! Swashbucklers & Scoundrels

If you'd rather not have a dropbox link, it's mirrored on my own site here

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 15, 2018

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

I could kiss you! *mwah*
This is going to be great. Thank you ^^

You're very welcome. Always glad to get a kick to finish a game

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dibs on Hatfright!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Has anyone else developed a fascination with weird artifacts of the 90s CCG boom? I've been buying up On the Edge booster boxes and it has really brought me back to those halcyon days where there were new CCGs coming out based on whatever license was around, and of course they were all featured in InQuest (also I think Over the Edge was a super great RPG). I'd love to grab some Arcadia boxes, but those are pretty dear these days.

I found my old Mythos starter set; I wish I'd got more cards when I had the chance, that was a great game.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I looked at Mythos too- it looked like a really cool game, but the boxes are going for too much to indulge my curiosity these days.

I look every six months or so, and it's always too much.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I keep coming back to my idea for a cyberpunk RPG where there are no attributes or skills or the like, chargen is entirely based on purchasing gear from a shopping list.

I kinda made that game. Only it's not just buying gear from a shopping list to create characters, gear is literally the only thing that matters.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

:woop:

I'm beginning to think I should do a Patreon for this kind of thing. It's :effort: doing layout and poo poo to put a tiny game on DTRPG that ain't going to make any money, but seeing some return for the random game ideas I have would be awesome, both to provide the impetus to release them wider and because capitalism demands the trade of time for money in order to ensure the security of food, shelter, and shiny games.

But again, :effort:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Call them Colloquialism and Jargon and make your whole game linguistic themed where words make things real so having the words of your trade makes them real.

Go one further and have it as commentary on the fiction of the game. Intradiagetic vs Extradiagetic

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Honestly my conclusion after playing a substantial amount of Shadowrun is that I don't actually like the fantasy elements at all, and what I really want from a cyberpunk game is a game where equipment is both detailed and the primary method of defining characters' capabilities. I'm willing to bet most people who play Shadowrun are drawn in by a particular element or two, and would be better served by a game that supports those elements.

fool_of_sound posted:

I really feel like the dehumanizing aspect of tech-as-power-source is core to cyberpunk. YOU genuinely aren't anyone special. Nobody is. Tech is so advanced that it's all that matters. The chips in your head are better than any education, cyberarms beat hitting the gym, your gun can aim better than you can, you sure as hell can't hack without a top of the line system.

Oh hey, I pretty much wrote that cyberpunk game.

I really should pretty it up and let people give me money for it. Giving it away for free feels somehow counter to the theme. :v:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

A cyberpunk game where major arms manufacturers sell literal lootboxes. Maybe you'll get a lovely 3D printed disposable pistol but maybe you'll get the brand new Magtech Black Mamba with the integrated SmartFire™ app.

You have no idea how much I love you for this idea.

I'm going to do it. I have an idea of how lootboxes can work, as well...

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's incredibly easy to do in-universe lootboxes for a pen and paper game: just make a d% table. :v:

Oh no, this isn't just in-universe.

I'mma sell them for cash money. Nobody will buy them, but it'd be funny.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

Didn't D&D (or was it Pathfinder?) run with card packs for the various classes that gave you a randomized selection of powers? I can't remember if it actually was in the CCG style or not, but it would certainly lend itself to it!

So the way I'm thinking of doing it is total Capitalist Bastard Mode. You can get:

* Skins (pre-statted pieces of equipment that you have to use but that come out of your starting budget so they have no game effect)
* Mods (pre-statted pieces of equipment that you get in addition to starting stuff, for the power creep)
* Contacts (people who want you to do stuff, when you do you get bonus cash — effectively predefined side missions)

And probably other poo poo. 50 entries or so.

Dress it up so it's obviously a fake thing, a way to buy a mini-supplement or support my work or poo poo like that, and big disclaimers about buyer's remorse. "You are buying non-physical content for the Meat Is Murder roleplaying game. If your GM does not let you use it, tough. If you do not want to throw your money at a game designer with a serious chance of getting nothing useful in return, then DO NOT BUY THIS."

Each roll is $1, four for $3, eight for $5. A roll gets you one item from the list, generated at random, on a little card-size PNG or PDF you can take to your GM that has a "you must let the player use this" note.

However, because I'm not a total subhuman bastard (and to stop people feeling too conned), each page has a "BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!" bit. Buying 1 gets you the front 20% of the list. If you spring for $3, you get the back 50%. And if you spring $5, you get the entire list. A mini-supplement of pre-generated stuff that also has a page of "loot-boxes in the setting, this is how you can engage with it as a player, this is how you can use it as a GM, also thank you very much for sticking money in my beer fund."

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry to interrupt Glorantha-chat, but my first entirely-indie RPG just hit gold bestseller on DriveThruRPG!

I may be a bit hyper about this now...

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The best news, of course, being that Ignition! just got a new print release.

And if that’s your kind of thing, the cruel and unusual chemistry thread may be for you

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ARB or Evil Mastermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

You probably supported the Affordable Cleric Act :P

Typically, American legislation is nowhere near the sweeping reforms of Vatican II, which included the universal call to holiness, permitted Mass to be given in local languages, and allowed clerics to wield bladed weapons.