Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Merry Christmas everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Saguaro PI posted:

So when my (adult, in no way Channer) players saw the Dungeon Mom post they all became very excited about the idea of character sheet stickers. Unfortunately I run my game over Discord, otherwise I would be absolutely all over that poo poo. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can implement this stuff online?

Send them emails with a vaguely descriptive commendation and a cute cat gif.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Sion posted:

So, on the subject of literally fuckin' anything else how's everyone's week shaping up? I'm back at work tomorrow oh no

The wife and I have managed to integrate a fairly hefty time management system into our day to day lives, and it's been great. I'm getting a lot more poo poo done, and having some structure as to what I should be doing at any given moment is remarkably stress-reducing.

Also, I got a tablet for Christmas, which has let me finally read some of the RPG pdfs I had backlogged. Right now I'm reading Mother of Monsters, a new Heroquest: Glorantha scenario by Robin Laws. The adventure itself is pretty good (elevator pitch: hunt mutant baby godzillas for fun and profit), but what I'm really liking is how it's presented. The book is written in a fairly sparse framework style, centered around giving the GM a flowchart of potential scenes:

That are detailed like so:

Another layer of interest is that MoM is actually companion work to a prior Laws book, Sharper Adventures in Heroquest, with MoM literally being a fleshed out implementation of an example flowchart from Sharper Adventures. As such, it's got a lot of text devoted to explaining design decisions, and lots of literal page-numbers-and-everything references to concepts from Sharper Adventures.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Imo the big weakness of FFG Star Wars is the really boring skill list at the core of everything.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Darth Maul's lightsaber staff worked, but that was only because a) staves are actual weapons that are actually interesting to pit against a sword and b) they gave that staff to Ray Park.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

While we're posting blog links, I really liked this article about gamify-ing risks in games with degrees of success.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Hey guys haha, check this out I found an ettin nudie shot

:nws::nws:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, so discuss someone on the complete other end of the developer spectrum, industry legend Greg Stafford recently turned 70. Apparently he's taken to answering questions about mythology over on Quora :3:

https://twitter.com/ian_h_cooper/status/962297997211176960

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

Just got my 13th Age in Glorantha link.

Did you get the Sourcebook as well?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

My 7th Sea review:

Play Spellbound Kingdoms instead.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

To be fair that's also my review for most games.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

Once their was an old Cuban fisherman named Santiago. He caught a fish every time he went out. One night, he had a very productive and pleasant evening discussing American baseball, which was in no way symbolic. The next morning, he went out to sea, where he was an old man, and there was a sea. There were also fish. He caught a very large marlin the first time he dropped in his line. Santiago brought the fish back to port completely intact, and sold it for quite a pretty penny.

:golfclap:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, but the Sourcebook has goon art in it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

I looked at the price and my eyes rolled into the back of my head

For real though, The Glorantha Sourcebook, is the actual best place to get into the setting (even if it is PDF only at the minute, it literally came out last month). The guide is pretty strictly just for glorantha turbonerds.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I think it might be due to service limitations? System Mastery directly has the same issue because of patreon limits.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

are there any good podcasts focused on tabletop / rpg game design / theory

There's always Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The new Runequest just dropped

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Weird question I randomly thought of :

So, there's lots of games that have resource management front and center, poo poo like D&D being the progenitor of this whole concept in RPGs. One of the big ones very commonly used, most specifically and artfully by D&D 4e, is HP. (Or whatever health/vitality/staying-alivey-ness is used in the system.) In the majority of the systems I'm thinking of off hand, damage against such a resource is randomized, either because of the question of whether the attack hits or, more specifically, for the amount of damage done, i.e. there are a lot of systems where you roll to attack and then you roll for damage.

Does this pop up in any other kind of thing other than tracking nebulous health?

Note, I'm specifically not talking about a D&D 3e save vs damage kind of thing. I mean something where another resource's loss is randomized on the granular level of how much is lost, if that makes sense. And that it's a large part of the system and not just, like, how much ability drain a wight has or whatever. (Sorry I'm using all these D&D examples ; I'm trying to go with examples that just about everyone would be familiar with for clarity.)

So, say, what I'm asking is if there was a magic system where mana-spent was randomized and you lose 2d8+3 mana for a spell or something.

The only one I can kind of think of is Call of Cthulhu sometimes did that with Sanity I guess?????

Runequest's spirit combat heavily revolves around dealing randomized damage to one another's magic points, which are otherwise used for casting spells.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Physical book pros:
  • It's somewhat easier to flip back and forth through a physical book, which is handy for a reference text.
  • You don't need a laptop or tablet to have the text at the table.
  • They're generally easier for your other players at the table to use, since they don't have to be computer literate to use the text.

Cons:
  • They're more expensive, obviously.
  • PDF readers have nice built in search and bookmark features and whatnot.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

I don't post in this thread basically ever but I need to tell y'all

https://twitter.com/akerimcelik/status/1010172453098807296

the sequel to King of Dragon Pass just came out

it's here

it's alive

Goddammit, why am I seriously considering getting a goddamn ipad just for one stupid game.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Look, Bedlamdan, I get that you're in a place where the idea of being playful with sex is scary and borderline incomprehensible. But I assure you, not everyone else is in that place. Apparently there's enough people who aren't to fuel a kickstarter.

So yeah, I'd play that game with my wife. I mean, I wouldn't, I don't really play board games and tentacle anything is a personal turnoff, but I can understand the appeal. Among my friends I'd say that about... half of them would be theoretically comfortable playing it with their partners. Among my acquaintances I can't say, apart from the ones in the queer and/or kink scenes, who might be willing to play it with folk from their respective scenes.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Wasn't there some fetish RPG where being morbidly obese gave you superpowers? Like, having a huge rear end strait up let you turn invisible or some poo poo like that?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

fr0id posted:

So what are people's absolute favorite/best RPGs? What do people personally enjoy playing the most, and what do they think is the best, even if they haven't played it?

Right now I'm running a Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha campaign with my wife and am loving it. I was seriously not expecting to like the system that much, and definitely wasn't expecting my wife to like it. But here we are, planning out an elaborate heroquest that'll resurrect an earth goddess and dislodge a necromancer.

I've enjoyed playing Heroquest: Glorantha, but I'm not a good enough of a GM to pull it off myself. Also, my enjoyment of it may have been skewed by mostly having played one-shows done by the author at Gencon

I really, really enjoyed the sole Nights Black Agents one-shot I played. Just being able to do cool stuff because you're a competent superspy is great, especially when the draculas show up to humble you.

The systems I like but havn't played are Spellbound Kingdoms, Ars Magica, 4th edition D&D, and Unknown Armies. I've apparently got a thing for flavorful crunchy systems and Big Damned Magic.

Pollyanna posted:

I'd actually like to know something myself:

- What's your longest-running campaign?
- What system was it in?
- Was it online or in-person?
- What year did it begin?
- How long did it run?

I played through an entire Pathfinder campaign. We did Rise of the Runelords. It ran for in person for about three years, starting in ~2010. The highlight of the game was the party combining powers to trap the ghost of our recurring antagonist and using it to power a sluice gate. The lowlight of the game was that Pathfinder and Golarion are boooooring.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Wrestlepig posted:

How are you handling the GMing side? I like the system but the gm's guide and bestiary aren't out yet so I'd be a little lost. Are you running off the backwards compatibility from older editions, and how do you handle enemies?

My GMing situation is kind of weird. For starters, it's a two-player game between my wife and I that we're effectively co-GMing. I'm also a pretty deep Gloranthaphile (and my wife is no slouch), so dealing with the setting has com pretty naturally. On the other hand, this is the first campaign I've ever GMed, the second I've played in, and my first time GMing Runequest. So I can't say for sure if my experience will be much help.

Keeping all that in mind, I've found the game pretty manageable to GM. It hasn't been a terribly combat focused campaign, and I've been able to handle what combat there was fairly easily. The fairly unified combat and character mechanics means that pretty much everything you learn applies to every character, which is nice. My main complaint at this point is that the technical writing in the corebook is kind of flaky in places (particularly the dual-wielding rules).

In terms of resources... at this point I've played through the free quickstart adventure twice – once as one-shot and once when I integrated it into my current campaign – and can vouch for it's quality. Next, there's the two Bestiary Previews, and GM Guide Preview. Finally there's a whole mess of old RQ2 material that's very cross-compatible (RQG has a conversion guide in an appendix), including a free bare-bones bestiary. There's also the whole huge back-catalog of Glorantha sourcebooks and campaigns if you want setting info or adventure hooks.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

All this talk of killing attack rolls makes me think of Into The Breach, and makes me wonder if a highly deterministic game like that could be translated into a tactical tRPG.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Wrestlepig posted:

It's nice to know the old stuff is actually convertible. Most of the preview stuff I saw seemed to have an ulterior motive for going out: the bestiary preview is all good player races and common companions, and the GM's guide is mostly errata. I'm familiar with the setting so that isn't an issue. My main concern is balanced encounters: I can't really tell what's appropriate to throw at the pcs.

Yeah, the combination of incredibly dangerous combat and universal healing makes for a weird dynamic. I'm taking things cautiously at the moment and have outright ruled that none of the PCs are dying without a really good narrative reason. They can get knocked out, maimed, ransomed, all that good stuff, but outright death is off the table.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Spellbound Kingdoms does it that way, with the added complication that everyone is choosing from their allowed actions, which are based off of a vaguely chess-like style sheet.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

hyphz posted:

It's not wrong though. Magic screws up Shadowrun in a whole bunch of ways. By far the biggest problem is the number of things magic can do that can't be countered without magic, and since mages are only 1%(?) of the population, either anything but running against a massive corp becomes nearly trivial or the GM has to explain why whatever random bar or gang you're dealing with had the resources to allow for someone so rare showing up.

I want to see a Shadowrun clone that goes full Glorantha on the problem and just gives everyone access to magic.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I mean, Spellbound Kingdoms has something like that. In fact, here's a explaination someone did recently:

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is a variant of Spellbound Kingdoms combat rules that works like that. Basically you both choose your maneuvre, and reveal it at the same time. So it's possible that like, your opponent is building up to an awesome 5 damage attack and you, since you know his fighting style and you can see where this is going, move to another zone so he's left fighting the air. Of course, he can hit you with the "build up" maneuver, the one meant to... actually let me give a visual example.

This is the Free Sword combat style. Let's assume you are fighting a master of this style. They can start off with any of the underlines moves (Dodge and Feint, Lunge and Warrior's Strike). They can then move on to any move that is either in the same column or in the same row, kind of like the rook moves in chess. So for example, our opponent might start with Dodge and Feint to set themselves up for future attacks, move on to Spin to prepare themselves more, use a Passing Slash to reach the real menace amongst their opponent and then hit them with Onslaught, followed by Free Sword Strike and Eviscerate.

But let's assume that you are fighting this person. If you have seen them set up with Dodge and Feint and SPin, are you going to just stand there and eat their more powerful attacks? Presumably no: you can use your own style to force them to rebalance (that is to say, go back to the underlined moves) and stop them on their tracks, or just move out of the way and force them to catch up to you.

You know how Free Sword works. Your opponent knows how your own style works. You are both aware of the "position" of the little token you use to signal where you are on the move sheet. So the combat becomes a game of "I know that you know" as you both try to get the better of your adversary.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting that generated that little tidbit :allears:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Also Expounded Universe, where they review old, bad star wars books. Also Who Eats This Cheap poo poo, where they make regrets.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

It's quite confusing how not every Glorantha game uses Runequest and not every Runequest game is set in Glorantha and Runequest is, as a ruleset, a particular iteration of a universal system which itself has multiple editions

Technically it's the precursor to the universal system. Except for the versions that aren't.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

My understanding is that most players don't really read the books, and get 90% of their info at the table.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ars Magica :greencube:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Maybe they're waiting for the physical books to be available to sell at the same time?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Actually, mechs are bad

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Black Company it ain't.

Wait, in what world does Black Company count as low fantasy

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SkySteak posted:

Are there any good systems out there which are based around the Age of Sail or simply heavily dedicated to being on some pre industrial vessel? I find that D&D needs heavy modification to be suitable for an in depth nautical campaign so I was curious if there were systems which did it right out of the gate.

Are you looking for detailed tactical naval combat, or just general support for life on and around ships? If it's the latter, then Spellbound Kingdoms might do you, particularly if you want to get into mass combat or run a well fleshed-out organization.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Use dominos instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

hyphz posted:

Noumenon uses dominoes.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. The Harder They Fall too.