Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Meanwhile two tickets came in on New year's Eve. Both complained their VPN wasn't working.

Our network dudes pushed out new VPN profiles to take effect on 1/1/2018, with the old profiles failing to connect after this date. They did not clear the old ones from any clients.

So glad I am not part of that ticket queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Camera hardware requiring a subscription is the obvious evolution of this loving terrible software as a subscription model.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

18 Character Limit posted:

Filtering out "Closed" Changes could also suppress "Pending" Incidents if both codes have the same integer value.

Good grief.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

We pay all of our bills late because out accounting department is full of slow senior citizens

Every other time we call a vendor for help "uhh you owe us $1200 we can't talk to you until..."

At my last job, on at least one occasion they "bought" a company by acquiring all the assets of the company in question, taking over whatever contracts they wanted (lease, copier, internet, etc.) and then when bill collectors come for the others they'd go "sorry we're not bought_company, we just happen to have all of their equipment, staff, and many of their contracts, and occupy the same building space."

It was incredibly sketchy and the MSP that the bought company used refused (rightly) to give us any device/network information until the past due balance was paid. Glad they saw through the bullshit and also that I'm not dealing with that mess anymore.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Making minimum wage in your early 30s crew checking in: I'm in a much better place now but I had a brief stint where I had to work retail to make ends meet. It was a very humbling experience having previously had a comfortable salaried job, but I'm glad it happened.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Gerdalti posted:

Checking out Freshdesk. Seems ok, going to play with SSO and see how easy that is.
Thanks all.

I did sso for our Gmail domain and freshdesk and I'm an idiot. If I can do it so can you.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

chin up everything sucks posted:

After working for them for a brief period, I'm never touching anything of theirs that isn't a wireless AP.

Are the switches that bad? I don't really have any gripes with my EdgeRouter X aside from the terrible CLI syntax.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Imagine if any time you changed the tires on your car you had to call up Ford or Toyota to get a New Tire unlock code, only $299.95!

Please don't give them any ideas. Let's not forget that Keurig tried to DRM little cups filled with ground coffee.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It'd be a lot weirder if the cables went out, made an immediate 90 degree turn, and then went straight back in to the unit above/below instead of that graceful curve they've got going on.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

stevewm posted:

I'm a fan of 2ft patch cords and a Neat-Patch myself...

Panduit and NeatPatch are my go-to any time I have to deal with cable issues, which is thankfully never nowadays.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

wa27 posted:

If I have to listen to one more person talk about the "old laptops" we give them because we buy thinkpads and they don't look as modern as their macbooks...

I had one lady email her boss and CC me complaining when she started because she didn't like the "extremely used" laptop we gave her. The only thing wrong with it was the paint on some of the home row keys wearing off.

It's crazy how entitled people are - I'd understand if it was your personal property but it's a company PC, you don't get to keep it, why do you care if some paint is missing?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Not saying that this is the condition your stuff was in but if you're paying someone decent money and their first day at your company has them sitting on a poo poo chair using a dirty keyboard and staring at a monitor covered in fingerprints then you're doing things wrong.

I made sure stuff was clean, and we were on a 3 year lifecycle anyways so everything was quite new. This lady was just being annoying for no good reason. I could have handed her the laptop her coworker had just returned to me which was covered in animal hair and food crumbs, which I actually trashed instead of trying to clean or salvage since it was a borderline biohazard situation and there isn't an MSDS for cat piss as far as I am aware.

Unrelated: My first day at my current place I had a desk but my chair was an OSHA violation. Great way to start off on the right foot - "when someone leaves, the vultures swoop in and take all their stuff". My chair is still garbage compared to the ones everyone else has but whatever.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 14, 2018

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I wanted a Tadpole or that fake SGI laptop from Twister so bad when I was a youngin'

I had a Tadpole Sparcbook 2 I got from a state surplus auction years ago - it was indeed cool even if it was super impractical. Unfortunately I never got it to boot due to a bad EEPROM or something like that.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

LOL, CenturyLink is now trying to pimp their fiber business offerings in Spokane again, a big mailer with huge "GIGABIT IS AVAILABLE IN YOUR BUILDING NOW!" announcement, and on the front just above the mailing address was "may not be available in your area". (suprise - it isn't)

I suspect this is because the city just floated a muni fiber working group to actually, y'know, improve speed and access. (Main choices are CenturyLink (shite) and Comcast (shite w/ shite customer service).)

How can CenturyLink be pushing anything when they by their own admission have no customers?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
The DR plan at my last place was "buy a bunch of poo poo from CDW and wait until it gets here assuming we have a facility at all" written in a Google Doc so pretty solid in the grand scheme I guess considering no one ever asked to actually see the DR plan itself, just if we had a DR plan at all.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Dates prior to 1970 don't matter.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Here let me help:

mehall posted:

CC added to MD TM.

I'm on a SD, CF.
There was a NP becoming POOR, with an EC moving from their OSD to us.

Apparently we had an MI while I was OL, and this was SKO a WS where our IR had BTW FI due to the MI taking FTGR.

OTC, the rep from OIR didn't STWTT about TIIQ/IF, and instead talk IGAI they've seen when TTU and ODs supporting TSP.

One of MC on the call spotted IAEOS while TRR was SSing that TPCR was AIB OIR and the EV.
They're basically trying to FSETB, and TGS because WFOR in TSM.

(Shame my OM will RO and LTR TSM to make us AFAT IF but OW)

I think this makes me an honorary C-level now?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
This is loads better than the usual terrible derails we get so here is some additional information:

quote:

Dutch explorer Abel Tasman sighted New Zealand in 1642 and named it Staten Land "in honour of the States General" (Dutch parliament). He wrote, "it is possible that this land joins to the Staten Land but it is uncertain", referring to a landmass of the same name at the southern tip of South America, discovered by Jacob Le Maire in 1616.
In 1645, Dutch cartographers renamed the land Nova Zeelandia after the Dutch province of Zeeland. British explorer James Cook subsequently anglicised the name to New Zealand.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

ArcticZombie posted:

Even worse, they then pronounce them wrong.

Welcome to Versailles, Kentucky!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My dad still gives me grief about a $500 long distance bill I ran up as a kid dialing every BBS in our area code one summer. All that so I could play Tradewars on more than one BBS.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

"professor"

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 14, 2018

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

klosterdev posted:

Controlled power outage to install solar panels. Shut down all non-critical infrastructure. UPS shields at 21% and falling. Work is complete and half of our critical infrastructure going down is currently reliant on the power company showing up within the next hour to turn everything back on.

Well it's been an hour and no update, godspeed recovering your fubar'd infrastructure sir.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I wound up just putting all of our stuff behind nginx proxies just to get Nessus to stop flagging stuff that doesn't matter.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I've found some places that will let me sign up using username+whatever@gmail.com but then won't let me login because they use some dumb regex that thinks + is an invalid character.

gently caress everyone that doesn't follow RFC 822/2822 for email addresses.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Sometimes a change in scenery is all you need. Congrats on the new job!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Also about Meraki's. Has anyone actually used the Meraki ones? Are they any good?

No.

Also Meraki says "MC is not being killed, only de-emphasized (temporarily removed from website and webinars) for some additional development and feature work, to be relaunched in the coming months although the timeline is TBD.". So given that's the state of things nearly 3 years after launch, that should pretty much be all you need to know.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 17, 2018

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Never had a complaint with our Cisco SPA514G phones. Despite being old as dirt they just work, which is all I ask for.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Virigoth posted:

This is a terrible take and you should be ashamed. If that’s the case something needs fixed and that’s not your fault. Take your loving vacation.

This. Your company's staffing issues are not your problem as an IT dude (unless you are a C-level). Take your vacation.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
To be fair you basically need a master's to be able to get a USB plug to go in on the first try. That or practice witchcraft.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I left a 100% WFH but fairly stressful job for a 25k raise to a laid back 100% office job with a 10 minute commute and in retrospect the extra money is only marginally worth it. It's really hard to put a number on the quality of life that WFH offers if you are able to swing it, but it's a big number regardless once you figure in things like not needing the car/insurance/gas/wasting away in a cubicle/etc.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 29, 2018

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Geemer posted:

At least they tell you instead of silently truncating after the 8th character.
One place I worked at stored passwords by doing the equivalent of toupper(password)[0..7] and dropping extra characters. Also cleartext.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
That's a great example of hard for people to remember and easy for computers to guess, also known as "gets written down on a post-it note" school of password complexity requirements.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Merijn posted:

:allears: What does the 'high ANSI characters' thing add? Emojis?
According to what appears to be a developer, "Unicode range [U+0080, U+00FF] except control and non-printable characters".

Edit: apparently it boils down to "Latin and Latin-1".

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 18, 2019

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sickening posted:

Wage theft is common because people don't know their rights or believe that it isn't worth fighting for them. These companies are stealing from you because you let them.

Time to bust out the ol' chart:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
:lol: at the "decent computer infrastructure" jab.

Reply with "We all have the right to decent corporate communication, so this will take the normal lead time given that notice has only been received as of this email. To do otherwise would be unfair to the rest of the company."

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Our security team told us to add a permanent exception for the invalid Cisco certificate that was shipped with all their WLCs that used 1.1.1.1 despite not owning the address space.

That pretty much tells you all you need to know about both our security and network teams.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 8, 2019

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Bonus points, it's in health care so you get all the joys of that thrown in with the decaying network infrastructure!

https://jobs.kindredhealthcare.com/job/-/-/653/11152213?src=JB-10686

IPX, Token Ring, and Frame Relay? I think you're supposed to yell "Bingo!" at some point here.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

iospace posted:

Isn't most A/V software actually worthless? Or at least at the home consumer level I've heard that, no clue on the business side of things.

Mots A/V software is actually dangerous, for example Symantec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Entropic posted:

TIL that apparently if you have a wrongly encoded enough wav file playing as a menu prompt in Voicemail Pro, it will work fine a few times and then spontaneously double in file size and transform into a corrupted cacophony that sounds like an audio log from Hell.

This reminded me of extension 666. You definitely want the volume turned down for this one.