Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Sirotan posted:

My boss just stopped by and I shared with him my Everest jokes. Think I probably weirded him out.

:v: "Do you climb?"
:j: Hah, no, I'm just fascinated by all the stories of arrogant assholes who get themselves killed on Everest! By the way have you read Into Thin Air?? ok I didn't actually say that, but I DID recommend the book.

Still trying to work out a good IT analogy for the Khumbu Icefall though. Something something automation spitting out an instance at the bottom?

It was a good book though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Wibla posted:

:cripes:

What SCADA software do you run?

Today he's running BBQ instead.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Friend installing WinME after a fresh reformat, it got to some part checking network connections of all things.

“Checking connection, attempt 1 of 100..”

Wasn’t plugged in. After an hour or so it hits 100 and presents the worst error screen I’ve ever seen. Bright red text flashing, big ‘FATAL ERROR’ over and over.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Marcade posted:

Overheard from a co-worker to IT:

"I was trying to change my font to comic sans and I broke it."

I see now why you people drink.

Broke what? The font? The file? The computer? The desk? I MUST KNOW MORE

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Not gonna lie, when I read "blasting Red Alert" I thought you meant Hells March.

Which frankly I'd love to blast through the office of the client from hell (ironic considering who they are) that I've been dealing with over the last two weeks.

And by blast through the office, I mean have blasting over speakers mounted on the tank I drive through the building.
*muffled explosion*
Ticket lost.

Ticket lost.

Ticket lost.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So what I'm hearing is that the Chinese and/or Russians almost definitely have complete access to the computer systems of the Arizona AG's office and probably the entire AZ government.

Edit: Also the janitor in the AG's office.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 22, 2019

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Thanks Ants posted:

Someone in sales has been asking people to email scans of their passports into our helpdesk and people did as requested :negative:

Asking other employees or asking customers? Why does Sales want passports in the first place? Or is this some hijacked email phishing thing?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

mllaneza posted:

I might get to do that in December for a whole OU. That OU being "Win7/XP machines without an upgrade path to Win10 but still run instruments". I'd like to remove Ipv4 and IPv6 entirely, but some of them need IPv4 to talk to the instruments.

As to why these still exist, let's look at two of my XP systems. They control baby MRI machines, and by "baby" I mean "minivan sized" that cost $2,000,000 new, 10 years ago. The software does not run on Windows 7 or 10 in any compatibility mode. The vendor does not have an upgrade path. Replacing these perfectly functional instruments would cost at least $5 million, plus however much Facilities would charge to demo enough drywall to get them out of the building.

So I need a long-term solution for WinXP machines because who the gently caress would approve that capex request ?

Wait is there a separate kind of MRI machine for babies or is this just a slightly smaller version of a different MRI machine.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Director/Actor?
Bow/Arrow?
Driver/Car?

Do they have to make sense?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I didn't go through eight years of evil medical school to be called "mister!"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

GreenNight posted:

No, because they havent turned their pc on yet.

Listen, fucko

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Bob Morales posted:

Or you get one like eight months later

I got a response seven months later from Spirit Airlines prompting me to update the application based on new additions to the application form: a single checkbox for "do you have a current passport?"

Continued silence after that.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Oyster posted:

A critical Palo vulnerability came in, affecting Exchange. Two clients forwarded it to us within 2 minutes asking if they were covered. My team lead responded within 15 seconds to each.

"You don't have exchange."

Exchange is down!? Well what are we paying you for!? Fix it!