Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sirotan posted:

Happy new year, goons. I hope your 2018 is filled with easy tickets, plentiful budgets, and un-spilled spec buckets. And may all your YotJ dreams come true. :toot:

I know mine did, at least - got laid off in June, signed an offer letter last week for a job that starts 1/2. 50% raise from the place that laid me off. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The only issue on my first day today was connecting to the network printer. :v: Got taken care of fairly quickly, but it was hilarious to me that one of the first things I had to do was put in an internal IT ticket for it.

Also 27" monitors are big. :eyepop:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Wibla posted:

Hahaha. No.

Try 40" or 43" 4K :unsmigghh:

My last job had 21s and I have 24s at home, so anything bigger/that can run at 1440 is new to me. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Flawless. :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Including the real thing, apparently. Wonder if that was intentional or not.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

...Huh, go figure.

That just makes this even funnier, god drat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I don't think public schools regularly have dorms, directors, and multi-building campuses.

The latter's pretty common at the high school level.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So while I still don't have proper access to the ticketing system at my new job, I've been shadowing one of my coworkers, and he's been opening tickets and watching me troubleshoot them, mostly to gauge my troubleshooting style, make sure I'm picking up on things, etc.

He has me look at this ticket where the client is complaining that one of their packet header rewrite rules isn't functioning, and in three seconds I've pulled open the rules configuration page for that client and found that it's disabled.

I turn to him and give him a look and he just has this poo poo-eating grin and is all "so how would you go about resolving this ticket?" and I'm like "try to find a diplomatic way to say 'hey, the rule's disabled' without insinuating the client is an idiot?".

Never seen a mentor crack up at an answer of mine that hard before. I think I like it here. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I had a previous job like that which was weird because we had like 5 remote employees, but if you lived near the office you couldn't work from home, ever.

That was also my previous job. Three full-time remote employees, but god help you if you wanted to work from home because city infrastructure was basically paralyzed due to absurd amounts of ice for the area.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

A power outage came in. :v: If it lasts for 5 minutes more we all get to go home early.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zil posted:

Oh look, the clocks are speeding up for some reason.

I'm home now, if that gives you any indication of what happened.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

:siren: I'm finally a real IT man :siren:

No "and revert back", doesn't count. :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sprechensiesexy posted:

If you have any doubts, please ask them. Virtually all the Indians I work with now use doubts instead of questions

See, I see that one more from LatAm clients myself.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

Try to remember that you were hired for the position for good reasons. Even if your technical skills in this particular area are still being honed, you're bringing something to the team that's valued. It might be soft skills, it might be your overall approach to problem-solving, it might be your ability to grasp concepts, it might be that your existing knowledge has some application to your current role. You can continue to trust in what you know and what you've got even as you work on mastering new poo poo.

You're gonna be okay.

Yeah, this is something I struggle with a lot, and the manager that hired me on at $NEW_JOB is really good at reinforcing this. When I was brought on he really drove in on the "I can teach tech skills; I can't teach you how to not be a shithead to customers" idea, and every time I feel out of my depth he's really good at helping me find mentoring resources and gets me over the technical hurdle because he values my soft skills and ability to de-escalate hostile clients.

It doesn't make the imposter syndrome any less pronounced, but it helps knowing I have an outlet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

An email from a client came in with the subject line "I am very depressed".

It's all I can do to not reply to it with the "bitch, me too, the gently caress" gif.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The body of the email was bitching that we *gasp* charge extra for additional services, so. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh god, there's MORE OF THEM now :magical:.

The progress meeting one was too real.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

A high priority ticket comes in, first action: change the priority to low for statistics.

At $OLDJOB-2 we had both this as well as "close ticket immediately as soon as you think an issue's fixed, make the customer open a new ticket if it's not". My habit of "hey, we show it's fixed from our end, but if you could confirm it's fixed for you, that'd be great!" and leaving tickets in a pending auto-close state (if the customer didn't reply within 72 hours, then it closed itself) was seriously super frowned upon once a new management team rolled in. It was so stupid, and we had so many customers bitch about it, but GOTTA HAVE THEM TICKET CLOSE METRICS :byodood:.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Still have clients who put in a ticket, wait five minutes and then respond to the ticket asking why we haven't gotten back to them!!!!!!

It's even more fun* when it's a phone call because they haven't gotten a response in five minutes.

(*actually it's really stupid but I digress)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

At this point he's thinking of just switching ISP.

He's lucky that he has the ability to.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

A phone call came in today. Some old lady who is running very low on tinfoil was Very Mad about our clientele.

Apparently I am a servant of the Antichrist because we provide services to government agencies and "the Zionist banking cabal".

She also got very mad when I informed her that policy prevents me from discussing our clients, including whether or not they are demons.

At least she said she'd pray for my soul. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

Do you have a recording? :justpost:

Nah, I wish. I don't have access to them, and we have to have a documentable reason to request them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

null_pointer posted:

Dementia. It means dementia.

Yeah, that's why I mostly just politely indulged her ranting for a little bit, and then told her that there really wasn't anything I could help her with, especially since policy prevents us from discussing other clients.

It was an amusing distraction, if nothing else.

Word. Surprisingly other than that bit she wasn't overtly racist, so no real reason to terminate the call.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Xboxes emit a gas that makes you stupid and entitled. It also causes compulsions to buy lootboxes.

Not just xboxes; dealing with ~*~minecraft server admins~*~ at $OLD_JOB made me hate the game so much by association that I still can't play it without getting mad.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I have two cords so one can stay at my desk, and one can stay at home or in my work bag. I’m not pulling the power adaptor out of the cable management every time I need to take my laptop somewhere, just to save the company £30.

Yeah, our standard onboarding here is your laptop, a dock + power cable, a power cable for home, and two monitors for your desk. It's pretty nice.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Merv Burger posted:

I would assume there's a lot of legal "paper trail" you'd have to make.

Just deleting and moving on like it never happened would probably make things worse.

Yeah, proper legal handling of "oh gently caress, there's CP on our servers" is long and frustrating, to say nothing of the fact that it exists in the first place. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

A very English lawyer has started using “revert” to mean “get back to you” and it made me think only if this thread.

I remember the first time I ever ran into that in my first IT job; it'd been after I'd made some sort of config change for a customer, and the ticket reply I got was "Please revert back on the change". I chalked it up to poor grammar, and happily went about reverting the change, which took some amount of poo poo down without my knowing. They were not very happy.

My boss at the time thought it was hilarious and apologized for not catching it and stopping me. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

My workplace has decided on a policy of calling the customer and explicitly laying out the course of action they have proposed as we understand it at every point in the process and then emailing them to confirm before touching anything due to stuff like this. Sadly it's not a good idea to assume that the other person has a clue what they just asked for.

Yeah, this was at a small potatoes dedicated server hosting company back in the early 2000s; something like that wouldn't fly where I'm at now. Luckily I'm older and supposedly wiser.

But yeah, it was just such a hilarious thing to me at the time. The ticket update came like five minutes after my "all done, you should see the changes in effect" update, and I never would've considered it meant "hey, explain what you did", especially since I'd spelled that out earlier in the ticket.

A month into the industry and I had my first "revert back" and "needful". :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

nullfunction posted:

I guess this is probably correct for a lot of places, but anecdotally I've taken more time off (about an additional week) since we went to unlimited PTO this year, and I definitely spent all my PTO time the year before since we had a "use it or lose it" policy previously.

Like most stuff, it'll depend on where you work.

Yeah, likewise. On its face and probably in 99%+ of actual cases it's an employee-loving measure, but it's nice for me coming from a "yeah, you get a week's PTO which is also use-or-lose" position previously. We've got fairly generous allowances - only anything in excess of 10 consecutive days needs any real approval. I've taken more PTO here than I did in basically five years at $OLD_JOB.

Combine with an actual sick time allowance (PTO has to be made aware of at least 24h in advance, sick time is "ugh, I can't work today for $REASONS") and sane WFH policies ("are you kinda sick but not sick enough for sick time? is the weather inclement? gently caress it, just work from home"), and it doesn't feel all that bad, really. :unsmith:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Text chat is unprofessional and they need to stay in touch* with all affected parties during this CRISIS!!

*Sound important and look like they're doing something.

This was basically the exact wording of why a $$$$$$ client made my team sit on a nearly two day long call that we did precisely gently caress all during. "Why can't this be accomplished in a ticket?" was swiftly rebuked by "well email updates to a ticket don't have urgency!" and their sales toady went over our heads.

(Note that the two-day-long conference call was a compromise, because their initial request had been that we fly a tech out to their HQ to basically do the same thing.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The Fool posted:

For what it's worth, I just discovered that the Android Camera on my Pixel 2 works with these codes.

Likewise. Holy poo poo that's cool as heck.

Gonna have to get one of those printed ahead of the next game night that gets hosted at my place.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yep, that's going into work slack, it'll make someone's day. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I was out sick yesterday, couldn't have been me. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

kensei posted:

User submits ticket that mail from a domain is blocked by the anti-spam solution despite his whitelisting it and needs to be fixed ASAP
User has blocked domain
Screenshot
Advise user of error
Fix
Fin

I had a ticket like that on Monday. Customer calls in ranting and raving about how our WAF is blocking an IP and this isn't acceptable, they want a full audit of who blocked that IP, etc. etc.

Takes me two minutes to dig through the account's user activity log and reply "Well, sir, it appears that you yourself blocked this IP on $DATE, approximately three months ago. I can remove this with your permission, however, if you feel that this IP should no longer be blacklisted?".

Dude hung up on me. :lol: He did end up removing the IP from the site's blacklist though, but it was delightful to just as innocently as can be give him the "I'd be glad to figure out who did this! Looks like it was you!" news. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

"Audiovisual Auto-Alert" :catstare:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The Fool posted:

how the gently caress does anyone think discord is an acceptable communication platform for a business

It's basically Decentralized Gamer Slack, so I could see someone preferring to use it instead of a bad business-branded alternative.

Though yeah, I wouldn't discuss anything secure in it, nor use it for file sharing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

A ticket came in: customer is complaining that the account activation link in their email is not working and that this is "SEVERITY 1 EXTREMELY URGENT".

Even glossing over the fact that such a request isn't even in the same galaxy as "extremely urgent", the email this jackoff is complaining about was sent... in January. No poo poo the activation link isn't going to work. :fuckoff:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

iospace posted:

And then recruiting agencies: "WE NEED IT IN WORD DOC". Piss off.

I actually told one once that I did not give my resume out in an editable format due to another recruiting agency editing my resume without my consent/adding erroneous information to it.

The guy on the other end of the phone got all quiet and was like "well, actually, that's why we need it as a word doc...". At least he was an honest sleazeball.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

MF_James posted:

Some of the recruiting agencies I've worked with have requested the resume in doc(x) format so they could add their letterhead and poo poo to it.

I've always checked it afterwards (because they ask me to print out the same copy they send to the potential employer) and none have added junk to it.

Yeah, I get that. Just, I had an in-person through Robert Half where the interviewer started asking me about my experience with technology I hadn't worked with and was nowhere on my resume, they showed me what RH had sent them, and there was all this stuff I'd never worked with lumped in there awkwardly, so I'm a lot more picky about it nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

coming from not america this conversation is really disturbing, jfc

As someone in the US who isn't a gun fetishist it's still disturbing.