Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

I think it's important Aboriginal Australians are the ones who have the right to set the message on Aboriginal issues, especially considering Australia's history of denying them self-determination. I'm a member of the oppressing class, here, jumping on her for saying something I don't like is joining news corp's dogpile, which is exactly what they want

I don't think it's 'jumping on her' to say that her actions didn't succeed in accomplishing the stated aim of the tens of thousands of people assembled. Honestly, the way we're terrified of critiquing anything done by a POC is pretty patronizing.

And I'm not talking about her tone or her dress, I'm taking specifically about the words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Burn this weak rear end thread to the ground

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Peccadillo posted:

Burn this weak rear end thread to the ground

mods?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

I did that stuff for 7 years but now I do something more chill bc it breaks your brain eventually.

Fairweather unionist

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sludge Tank posted:

Fairweather unionist

All blue collar organisers tank eventually. You don't get any sleep due to days of meetings at 5am, 9pm and 1am, plus office poo poo or negotiations. It's also the worst day of someone's life every loving day. Having to put a distressed, mentally broken member in a headlock to prevent them running onto Leakes Rd to die or screaming at a whole shed of grown men that bullied the only black guy at work to near suicide eventually tires you out a bit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Actually there are some organisers that survive for 10+ years in the same role but they're either a useless husk by then or have gone full Judge Dredd with literally nothing else to live for.

e: not to mention the drinking... my god... the drinking...

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 2, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/benraue/status/959211121570803713

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sad if true

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Batman did so much imperial crime his face rotted off and his butler had to wheel him around in a cart

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

Batman did so much imperial crime his face rotted off and his butler had to wheel him around in a cart

that latest Dollop episode. I don't know if I can handle this byelection thinking about Syphilitic Batman.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Can someone please post today's David Pope cartoon I am not good with computer.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

JBP posted:

All blue collar organisers tank eventually. You don't get any sleep due to days of meetings at 5am, 9pm and 1am, plus office poo poo or negotiations. It's also the worst day of someone's life every loving day. Having to put a distressed, mentally broken member in a headlock to prevent them running onto Leakes Rd to die or screaming at a whole shed of grown men that bullied the only black guy at work to near suicide eventually tires you out a bit.

Stories like that would probably make a good PR campaign for the union movement in general. If done well it could show people what unions really do and hopefully cut through some of the anti-union bullshit that's out there.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/davpope/status/959174015259615232?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Van Badham, never right

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
there's a cool native bird called a wonga wonga but they're not found in melbourne so i guess it doesn't work

australian native pigeons are not generally well-known, which is sad because they rule

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Van Badham, never right

I'm enjoying Discovery, if only because it makes the point that, yes, humans are the villain in everything we do.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kafka Syrup posted:

I'm enjoying Discovery, if only because it makes the point that, yes, humans are the villain in everything we do.

I thought the nerd consensus was that Enterprise sucked? I don't know my Star-Trekery well enough I gues..

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/958937507567054848

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

I thought the nerd consensus was that Enterprise sucked? I don't know my Star-Trekery well enough I gues..

I didn't like I, but gigantic trek nerd friends of mine insist that it became excellent in the last season or two. I didn't stick with it that long.

As far as post 9/11 era sci fi goes Battlstar Galactic was much better than Enterprise, but probably suffers the opposite issue of becoming weaker as the seasons go on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

More or less, although it had a few good ideas and was definitely getting better as it went.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Dunno how 'pol' it is but we are having the ADF and IDF (Israeli Defence Force) visit work on Monday. Could be from Trumbles defence export wank don't know and the boss was not sure either (I should mention he is the GM not owner or sales guy)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
https://twitter.com/MitchellToy/status/958888581166067712

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol Turbul has gotten a face to face meeting with Trump.

poor bastard

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
The public speaker who called for violent decolonisation is not "the left being it's own worst enemy".

The call to Australia that we should be violently decolonised is good - violence not necessarily (but not excluding) in the physical sense, but rather acting violently in our reaction to colonisation. This form of violence is a valid response to colonisation, which is itself an act of violence.

If you're wringing your hands worried "but we actually do need to change the date sooner rather than later!": what are you worried about losing when violent decolonisation enters the discourse (and eventually, reality)? Changing the date is a means, one of many, but the end goal is always going to be:
Burn
Colonial
Australia
TTFG

Tl;dr: meat pie in a white breadroll = good, land/wage theft by genocide = bad

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Weatherill is absolutely styling on Xenophon and (insert name of opposition leader) rn.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

asio posted:

The public speaker who called for violent decolonisation is not "the left being it's own worst enemy".

The call to Australia that we should be violently decolonised is good - violence not necessarily (but not excluding) in the physical sense, but rather acting violently in our reaction to colonisation. This form of violence is a valid response to colonisation, which is itself an act of violence.

If you're wringing your hands worried "but we actually do need to change the date sooner rather than later!": what are you worried about losing when violent decolonisation enters the discourse (and eventually, reality)? Changing the date is a means, one of many, but the end goal is always going to be:
Burn
Colonial
Australia
TTFG

Tl;dr: meat pie in a white breadroll = good, land/wage theft by genocide = bad

That’ll not what I meant when I said the left is its own worst enemy. I’m talking about the people hand-wringing over her words.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
after a lot of soul-searching i've decided to start a jsa. who's with me?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Self-critique is the only way to develop and learn strategy. Talk about whatever you want and critique whatever you want in the privacy of a dead gay forum imo.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

asio posted:

Burn
Colonial
Australia
TTFG

lol

Starshark posted:

That’ll not what I meant when I said the left is its own worst enemy. I’m talking about the people hand-wringing over her words.

the left being it's own worst enemy is when people get jumped on for saying "maybe it wasn't a great idea to say that poo poo at that time" and we get stuck arguing about weather we're allowed to discuss the best way of getting a message across

We're not hand wringing, we're just pointing out that it was counter-productive. If you want to have a "burn Australia to the ground" rally, go for it, just try and not let it sabotage the "we'd like to celebrate living here and now, can we do it on a day that doesn't mark the start of dispossession and genocide" rally.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Was it counter productive to the speakers goals or yours? Your goals do not align.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also it's the invasion day rally not the "excuse me sir may we do this another time rally".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The only rally a true leftist follows is Sega Rally

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Whitlam posted:

Not picking on you specifically, bandaid, but I think this is a huge problem: the idea that there is a single, unified, indigenous voice. There's no such thing. The issues of indigenous people in Karratha are totally different to the issues in, say, Brunswick. Since it's a Commonwealth power, it all gets treated with the same brush, and ultimately nothing gets done (also because it's just plain not a priority, but that isn't the only issue).

Take alcohol bans, for instance - some communities love them and argue the results speak for themselves. Other communities see them as patronising and denying self-determination. There's no single right answer, and one way or the other you're making your own value judgement.

Abbott already solved this issue, we just have to ignore the inner-city frauds and talk to authentic indigenous folk, especially the ones furthest from Canberra and with the least power to refute any paternalistic horseshit we might want to slug them with

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

Was it counter productive to the speakers goals or yours? Your goals do not align.

Oh maybe, i thought it was a 'change the date' thing, sorry. If we're talking about competing protests then yeah it gets a lot more murky, but I think the same problems remain and the point stands. "Burn Australia" hurts "change the date"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It was the invasion day rally which was the only rally in town.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
PSA: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-02/shopping-centre-car-park-legal-threats-may-be-unenforceable/9384446

quote:

Lawyers demanding payment from drivers who overstay time limits in shopping centre car parks are operating in a grey area that is unlikely to be upheld in court, a legal expert has said.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

Hobo Erotica posted:

Oh maybe, i thought it was a 'change the date' thing, sorry. If we're talking about competing protests then yeah it gets a lot more murky, but I think the same problems remain and the point stands. "Burn Australia" hurts "change the date"

:decorum:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

No, not decorum, it's a fundamentally different message and point.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Periphery posted:

PSA: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-02/shopping-centre-car-park-legal-threats-may-be-unenforceable/9384446

quote:

Lawyers demanding payment from drivers who overstay time limits in shopping centre car parks are operating in a grey area that is unlikely to be upheld in court, a legal expert has said.

This is good. The shopping centre I often use has a bunch of other shops, including a cinema, but has a posted 2 hours parking limit.

Cue all the people who see a movie, or go shopping and have lunch in the food court, risking getting slapped with bullshit fines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Robert Doyle inquiry delayed as Melbourne mayor is seriously ill
Report into allegations of sexual assault against former Victorian Liberal leader now delayed

loff

• Locked thread