Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Both Ming the Merciless and Yellow Claw are pretty bald-faced knockoffs of the ur-Yellow Peril villain Fu Manchu, right down to sexy and evil (but conflicted and potentially redeemable) daughters. There’s unfortunately no shortage of those in Marvel canon alone - they have straight-up Fu Manchu running around with Yellow Claw and The Mandarin, as well as about a dozen more thankfully lost to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Setting aside the question of why Kingpin and the Golden Claw are doing this (Kingpin is already pretty much the top dog, and this whole operation is frankly beneath the Claw's usual caliber of villainy), why are they going about it in this way? Their plan is to gather the various mob bosses and gun them down while they're gathered, at no point does this require standing on an open stage in front of them and telling them the whole plan.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
As a reminder, Pete’s entire involvement in this plan was due to “I don’t care about the criminals that much, but I want to save the theater that MJ’s play is running in, can’t let Kingpin blow it up”.

The theater that’s now blown up, because he crashed a helicopter into it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Werewolf time appearntly.

While unlikely, I sincerely hope that the werewolf is just Lugo Belogi in a fursuit.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The second dumbest thing about that storyline was that NSM seriously thought it would work.

The dumbest thing about it by far was that it actually did.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If only he had some kind of superpower that lets his hands and feet stick to any surface. Or, failing that, the ability to shoot some kind of sticky substance from his unoccupied left hand to keep him anchored.

I like how the main dramatic conflict of this arc has gone from 'a villain with mind-control powers has ordered them to fight to the death' to 'everyone involved now has the physical coordination of a baby and is now wildly flailing about'.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The NSM-verse seems to be wildly inconsistent about exactly how much pre-established history there is from comic to comic.

In the Purple Man storyline, both Peter and Luke Cage seem to be utterly flabbergasted by the fact that A: there's a purple man, and B: he has mind control powers. Meanwhile Kilgrave immediately knows who they both are and what they're capable of within seconds of recovering from total amnesia. Then MJ saves the day by pulling out a special bedsheet designed to perfectly counter Kilgrave's powers from a previous conversation with Daredevil, which Peter claims to have been present for.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like if you had Spider-Man trapped in an enclosed steel cage with no way out, you could probably kill him in more efficient ways than 'wait over 24 hours for him to fall asleep, then seal it off with airtight plastic and pump poison gas in'. Hell, if he can't get out, why bother with the 'wait for him to fall asleep' part?

Then again the plan began with 'hire a skywriter to lure Spider-Man to the airport, then hire another guy to give Spider-Man a note to lure him to another location' so efficiency is not their strong suit.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
"So, whaddya make of this, sarge?"

"Well, he died of asphyxiation in a sealed train car in the middle of nowhere rigged to be an inescapable deathtrap, so I'm going with 'natural causes' for this one."

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like if the Chameleon knows enough about bank executives and movie stars to impersonate them flawlessly, he could embezzle money much more efficiently than just pointing a gun at people and going "gimme everything in the till".

On the other hand, maybe the money is a bonus and he just likes loving with rich people's reputations, which is an entirely understandable motivation.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Calling himself "Goldmint" would move him into a higher tax bracket, and he can't have that.

He doesn't pay taxes but it's the principle of the thing.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like there were easier ways to resolve that than by causing an international incident, but that's why I'm not Spider-Man.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It occurs to me that a suit that can climb up walls, while good at high-rise burglaries, isn't really going to give you any significant advantage over Spider-Man. You already know he can climb up walls, so you're not going anywhere he can't reach, and now he's obligated to stop you since you're stepping on his turf.

The fake Spider-Man who just walked into stores and robbed them while wearing a Halloween costume at least had a gun.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It would probably have been a more dignified loss for Spidey if it had just been Norman Osborn walking through the door and beating him to a pulp with his bare hands.

I hope this entire storyline is all about Spidey repeatedly trying and failing to impress this increasingly bored and incredibly jaded kid.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I remember reading an old Human Torch story about that. A standard-issue Disgruntled Scientist decides to turn to crime, and immediately starts fantasizing about all the cool crime inventions he's going to come up with and the fortune he's going to make off it. He then tries his hand at some light burglary and fumbles immediately because he doesn't know how to deal with a burglar alarm.

He realizes he needs the help of experienced criminals to teach him the basics, but after the approach of walking into a seedy bar and going 'How do you do fellow criminals, would you like to do crime together' fails, he decides on an even better plan: dress up in an asbestos suit with an asbestos lasso and challenge the Human Torch to a fight, on the basis that once he wins he'll have successfully established his criminal credentials well enough that goons will be lining up in droves to work under him.

Not a high bar to clear, but I expect NSM to trip over it anyway.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Pete has had to work through this entire train of thought about thrice in this story arc, while forgetting every time that the main reason he keeps his identity a secret is because if it was public, angry villains would go after Peter Parker and his loved ones, regardless of whether he was currently Spider-Man or not. I guess it's not his main motivation for hanging up his duds this story arc, so he just forgot that was a thing.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
To be fair, if I was shooting point-blank at a superhero, and he dodges my bullets and jump-kicks the gun out of my hand, I would probably also assume that regular punches are out of the question.

Granted this is NSM, so they absolutely would, but the thugs don't know that.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I hope this arc just keeps escalating and Spidey eventually ends up threatening New York with an army of stolen nuclear-powered battle robots or something, while going 'boy, sure hope Hammerhand doesn't leak that contextless photo of me standing in an empty office, or I'd be accused of the thing the papers are already accusing me of doing'

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
So I guess one of two things is happening:

- One of Hammerhand's goons (I keep typing Hammerhead) is sympathetic to Spidey and is 'helping' him by releasing his incriminating photos to the press in advance, so Hammerhand has no leverage against him

- Hammerhand himself is releasing those photos to the press because ???, thus completely undermining his entire plan

Either option is very dumb, but this is a very dumb storyline.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Sockser posted:

What the gently caress

I don't understand what's going on at all

It would appear that:
1. Hammerhand told Pete to knock over an armored truck
2. Pete webs up the truck
3. Spider-man! Why would you web up my truck!
4. Hammerhand: Because I told him to
5. Spider-man: I knew you'd show up to rob this armored truck, and I'm not going to let you!

Do I... do I have that right?
This entire storyline could have ended every single strip if Peter just like, webbed away his gun or ... just didn't do anything at all?
Again, he is robbing warehouses and banks because Hammerhand has a photo of him ... standing in a room?

This whole storyline revolves around the threat of 'Hammerhand is going to send the picture to the Daily Bugle, thus ruining Spider-Man's reputation forever', which only works if neither of them are familiar with the fact that the Bugle would run a picture of Spider-Man napping on a park bench as a front page article titled 'WHAT NEFARIOUS SCHEMES DOES THIS MENACE PLOT IN HIS DREAMS'

Except...Hammerhand seems to be familiar enough with the Bugle to know of his growing reputation and to target Robbie Robertson personally, and Pete certainly knows it because his entire livelihood relies on turning in mediocre photos of himself to the Bugle on account of the fact that Jameson will pay top dollar for literally anything Spidey-related.

E: and that's not getting into the fact that he personally showed up just to go 'yes, I am the one blackmailing Spider-Man into doing these crimes for me, and to prove it I brought the hostage whose life I am threatening'

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 31, 2023

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Dr. Curt Connors looking at the list of applicants and seeing Peter's name: Another failure!

I’ll give this to Pete, it takes confidence to show up at an interview for a position that you literally just got fired from and go “hey, I know you just fired me, but…” Maybe not intelligence, but confidence nonetheless.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
To be slightly fair to Pete, he didn’t know he’d have the afternoon off, he thought he’d be spending the whole day mucking about in the swamp till Connors tossed him the keys and told him to gently caress off.

Of course, this means that he definitely barged into the theater and seated himself without a ticket, but given that he abandoned a rental car in the middle of the highway and is currently using his spider powers to break into the backstage rooms, that’s probably the least egregious of his crimes so far.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

It really doesn't seem like it takes much to convince the average New Yorker that any rando in a Spider-Man suit is secretly Spider-Man. The last guy to do it just walked into stores and went 'Give me all your money or I'll shoot you with my web-gun' and the storekeepers went 'sounds legit, that is a thing that Spider-Man is well known for doing'.

And he didn't even use any gyroscopes.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

- Yeah, my play was cancelled because of the damage, so now I'm out of a job, I can't pay my rent, and I'm missing out on a role I really wanted to play

- I'm not sorry for you at all! :)

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Would grease really do anything? Doc Ock's tentacles aren't clinging to handholds, they're straight-up embedding themselves into the brick wall (and he mentioned as much in an earlier strip).

Also yes, what is Peter trying to prove with this fight? Doc Ock hasn't done anything notable since he was released from prison, so as far as anyone knows Pete is just trying to murder an old man who was paroled.

Heck, even Pete doesn't know for sure that it was Doc Ock trying to frame him, he just got word that he was being suspected for armed robbery and immediately jumped to 'I bet it's the guy loving my aunt' with no real evidence for that reasoning.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a strip missing? There wasn't any confession in the previous one.

Looking at the dates, the grease trap one was 3-7 and this one is 3-10, so yeah, there may be a couple missing.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It's not going to happen, but it would be darkly funny if after all the illusion bullshit Mysterio's been doing to discredit Spider-Man, replace him as a superior hero, and lure him into a trap, he just pulls out a real gun and loving shoots him in the head.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Having straight-up mind control powers does seem a little out of his usual wheelhouse. If he can just make people think what he wants them to think, why mess around with illusions and trickery at all? Feels like the writer was too lazy to look up/come up with an explanation on how he managed to pull off realistic illusions like the truck, so they just went with 'he straight-up messes with people's minds' as a cop-out.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I assumed that all the criminals Mysterio stopped were hired to take a fall for him, because the alternative is that a group of armed robbers decided to storm a restaurant in broad daylight for whatever cash JJJ happened to have in his wallet at the time, and then when he had none immediately decided to escalate to taking him hostage and holding him for ransom.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

DO IT YOU SON OF A BITCH, ROBBIE WANTS TO BELEIVE IN KID SPIDER-MAN, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Aunt May, watching a colossal wrestler pummel the dust out of a man with an injured arm:

https://twitter.com/wattpadcomment/status/1171351160499757057?s=20

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if this was timed to coincide with an X-Men movie or something, which is why the Mysterio arc felt oddly truncated - not much in the way of a climax or denouement, just 'we broke his magic helmet, he's powerless now, moving on'.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It's still largely ambiguous, but it's entirely possible the writer forgot he isn't actually a human robot and just a shithead ex-cop pretending to be one for a gimmick.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I like how NSM Wolverine constantly feels the need to remind everyone around him that he is...A WOLVERINE! Honestly, NSM Spidey should take a page out of his book, maybe he'd remember his own superpowers more often that way.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

I love how after spending so many days on a completely extraneous "Spidey gets arrested and has to prove himself in court" subplot, the main villain from the beginning of the story has to come bail him out, otherwise the story wouldn't go anywhere.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
So if the manager admits Destructo is just straight-up murdering his star wrestlers in the ring, why is he still letting him wrestle? Even on the off chance the crowd is eating this up, sooner or later you're going to run out of wrestlers.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The Owl is a fairly old villain - in fact, he was Daredevil's first original villain, appearing in Daredevil #3 (Issue 1 was his origin story, and in issue 2 he fought Electro.)

He's introduced as a sort of proto-Kingpin, a crooked businessman who's also a mob boss and sort of a supervillain (he has the power to, uh, slowly glide through the air). He only appears fairly sparingly in the original Daredevil run after that, since there wasn't all that much interesting about him - he gets more owl-like powers and fake claws and such on occasion, but he's still never really much of a threat, and once Kingpin is introduced as Daredevil's nemesis he becomes almost entirely redundant, though nowadays when he shows up in more modern-day stuff the writers play into it by writing him as a second-rate Kingpin who would really like to be at that level, but can't quite hack it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
"I'll just do acrobatics in the air in the middle of this heated gunfight until they run out of bullets, while all these wildly fired shots go straight into the windows of the apartment buildings behind me. This is definitely the quickest and easiest way to handle the situation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
You know, when this storyline started, my immediate assumption for where it was going was 'JJJ foists Jeremy off onto Pete to get him out of his hair and Pete has to spend the day babysitting him, turns into a comedy of errors when he has to ditch him and change to Spidey while still keeping an eye on him'. I don't think I would have guessed anywhere close to where this was going.