Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

qirex posted:

I need ful led color control to properly represent MY GAMING BRAND

extremely same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

magenta alert

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

flakeloaf posted:

magenta alert

it's purple

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
"Just think how great e-Palette will be at Burning Man,"

:lol:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

instead of the man let's burn the e-palette instead

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

yeah, i glanced over the president of toyota being named toyoda

looks fine to me. some of the finishes they offer aren't my taste, but idk who is going to pay $4k for speakers that look like they are meant to complement orange shag carpet since anyone with that kind of cash for speakers has probably updated their decor at some point during the last several decades

these speakers have very visible mounting holes for a front screen

you're not obliged to look at the drivers

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the existence of audio drivers does seem to surprise a lot of people

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
like is kodak coin literally digital sharecropping

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

graph posted:

like is kodak coin literally digital sharecropping

i googled this to learn wtf the exact terms were and such, and the first line of the 2nd paragraph in the first article on google read:

"The US firm said it was teaming up with London-based Wenn Media Group to carry out the initial coin offering (ICO)."

and i immediately closed the tab

what is wrong with these people

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i took the screen off my cerwin vegas so you can see the drivers and the red foam

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hifi posted:

i took the screen off my cerwin vegas so you can see the drivers and the red foam

the last couple of sets i built have neodymium magnets under the veneer at the corners in case i ever wanted to attach screens, but they look so nice without them that i just never bothered making them.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sniep posted:

extremely same

oh yeah i forgot my evga card has an rgb led in it

doing a lot of good in my windowless case lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep posted:

what is wrong with these people

*coin is a coping mechanism

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the press release said blockchain so kodak stock is now a million percent up hth

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

We live in the dumbest of all possible timelines

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

so i went and bought a dumb pioneer receiver with a flip up screen

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071X596WM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for my car because it was the only one with carplay that fits in the old style single DIN space in my car. literally yesterday i ripped apart my dashboard getting the old one out

and then the people on the lotus forums tell me that most people who have installed a flip out display have had to CUT OFF THE END OF THEIR WIPER STALK to make the display not hit it on the way out so i was probably gonna return it and just hot glue an iphone to my dash or something.

then alpine announced this today which i don't generally like because it has that dumb hover look that the new mercedes cars have but i guess it's probably the best choice and it fits in a single DIN space so hey.

https://alpine-usa.com/company/press/ces2018/2018/new-9-inch-ilx-f309-in-dash-system-from-alpine-electronics-will-hover-into-many-vehicles

supposedly shipping in feb. I guess i will throw this old stupid parrot asteroid that crashes all the time in the garbage and wait for the alpine. If you were thinking about buying a parrot stereo for your car, don't, it is beyond garbage. runs bad andriod, crashes and randomly turns the stereo on and off without user input, the fm tuner app unexpectedly quits all the time, etc.

so CES is... good?

the pioneer DEH-80PRS is still the only good non-OEM digital receiver produced for a car. it is the only one with a non-segment display that you can use without looking.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

all touch screens in cars should be illegal, or at the very least disabled while the engine is running

the purpose of not letting you use it while it's idling and stopped is to punish you for having a touch screen

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

qirex posted:

you can get some super primo speakers for less than 4 grand no doubt

these probably have an actual crossover in them unlike the originals

i bought my bozak b-301 tempos for $35 and i love em. thanks rudy bozak

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

dude have you SEEN proac speakers 'cos they're fuckin ugly

You can buy these from a guy in a van in the parking lot outside grocery outlet

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

This is the ideal loudspeaker. You may not like it, but this is what peak acoustics looks like.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

stacked large advents are also acceptable, as are anything on klipsch's "heritage" list.

why buy new speakers when there are perfectly good old ones that sound as good and look better

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 10, 2018

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

poty posted:

this sounds like a good idea but ive read the tile app needs location services at full blast on your phone 24/7

Bose wearers can ring their headphones so long as their within Bluetooth range.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah he played the garbage can in stomp

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

atomicthumbs posted:

stacked large advents are also acceptable, as are anything on klipsch's "heritage" list.

why buy new speakers when there are perfectly good old ones that sound as good and look better

new speakers may sound the same but they are a lot smaller, my new bookshelf speakers are equivalent to floor standing speakers from the 70's

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
pfft. those speakers don't even have a fridge in 'em

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

atomicthumbs posted:

all touch screens in cars should be illegal, or at the very least disabled while the engine is running

the purpose of not letting you use it while it's idling and stopped is to punish you for having a touch screen

Same but any interface not directly associated with control of the vehicle.

E: I'm not a fanatic, I'm willing to allow manual adjustment of environmental controls when the car is in gear but stationary, provided that the break is applied at that time.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 10, 2018

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I have an axiom 5.1 setup mostly built before they totally jacked up the prices and it suits my needs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

the pioneer DEH-80PRS is still the only good non-OEM digital receiver produced for a car. it is the only one with a non-segment display that you can use without looking.

i have a pioneer one that didn't cost $350 and it's fine. its probably 5 years old now

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Schadenboner posted:

E: I'm not a fanatic, I'm willing to allow manual adjustment of environmental controls when the car is in gear but stationary, provided that the break is applied at that time.

also if they touch anything but the steering wheel, the car should spontaneously combust, tape the owners death, and post it on YouTube as a warning to all humans

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont have a break on my car

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I dont have a car because I live in god's ideal environment: city which smells like pee

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

power botton posted:

I dont have a car because I live in god's ideal environment: city which smells like pee

qft

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

brake

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poty posted:

the press release said blockchain so kodak stock is now a million percent up hth

it literally looks like a bitcoin chart lol gently caress. might be time to dump before someone realizes its a clever grift (the btc maneuver)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

br8

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Perplx posted:

new speakers may sound the same but they are a lot smaller, my new bookshelf speakers are equivalent to floor standing speakers from the 70's

they figured out how to compress more resonance into the cabinets :thunk:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAyJmIXcyMg

30 inches of thigh slappin' blood pumpin' nuclear brain damage

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAyJmIXcyMg

30 inches of thigh slappin' blood pumpin' nuclear brain damage

hahaha. I love it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

here's the off brand stupid crap I so dearly crave

quote:

If you’re like most of the world, that means starting the day off with a steaming cup of Joe. You brew a pot or K-cup or whatever and then pour it into your travel mug and head off to work, hoping that your insulated vessel will keep the precious liquid hot enough for you to get your day started. Or you start with a cold drink in a thermos, likewise hoping it will keep cold throughout the day. But what if your bottle could do more than just contain liquid? What if it could heat it to maintain your desired temperature throughout the day? Or likewise cool it? Or even boil water to purify it for drinking or for use with freeze-dried food packs while camping? Or if it could actually be used to blend up your smoothie or to brew your coffee? I give you…the Cauldryn Fyre!

No joke, the Caudryn literally stopped me in my tracks as I passed the company’s booth at the Sands Expo. A water bottle you control with your voice using Google Home? Madness, I thought! A water bottle that offered smart device app control? Why? And also, how? A water bottle that can keep my coffee at the exact temperature ALL DAY or boil and purify water in the face of any zombie apocalypse?! Tell me more!

The secret of the Cauldryn resides in its modular design concept with a removable base system which the company describes as being similar to Legos. “We just keep asking, what else can we clip on?” Current clip on modules includes a blender attachment ($29.99), a percolator attachment ($14.99) and the heater. (A cooling attachment will be along soon! As well as a “glamping” friendly LED lantern with bug zapper, as well as 360-degree field Bluetooth speaker!) The rechargeable battery pack screws into the bottom providing all the Cauldryn’s power.

The bottle has a 2 cup capacity and they claim it can boil water twice on a single battery charge, or be used up to seven times for water purification. It also has settings for maintaining temperature. The device can also be used for charging another device.

Oh, and with Google Assistant, you can simply use your voice to start a brew cycle or ask the Cauldryn to start boiling the water. Welcome to the future, people! Available now for $149.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

they figured out how to compress more resonance into the cabinets :thunk:
computer modeling has allowed speaker design to get much, much better than it was 40 years ago plus there's bass management and subwoofers which weren't really a thing in the "hi fi" days

• Locked thread