Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Mustafa Ali vs Cedric Alexander - WWE 205 Live 1/23

The first post Enzo-firing 205, everything thrown together on the fly, and Ali and Alexander just put on one hell of a match with some amazing moves and really, really good selling. Either one could and should be the next Cruiserweight Champion.

Third. Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Testekill posted:

MOTYC: Alistair Black vs Adam Cole, NXT Takeover: Philadelphia 27/01/18

Oh boy that was a hell of a match

nth. loving amazing.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

MOTYC: Johnny Wrestling vs Andrade Almas, NXT Takeover Philly

This was imo better than anything at the Tokyo Dome this year and the early frontrunner for moty

nth, who'd have thought the two best matches of the year would be back to back at this one Takeover, God drat

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

i wouldn't go that far. i really really liked the extreme rules match but i don't think it touched omega vs jericho, or even the other top matches at wrestle kingdom, which was still a better top to bottom show

tbh it comes down to personal preference, and I honestly thought Black/Cole told a much better story than Omega/Jericho, though I loved that too so

I mean I prefer the WWE style of storytelling to NJPW's when it's done well (like Black/Cole and Gargano/Almas), but a lot of the time (mainly on the main roster) the match quality falls so far below the mark for one reason or another that NJPW just blows it out of the water in comparison, so idk, it's a subjective thing

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Roppongi 3K vs. The Young Bucks, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo Night 2, 1/28

I liked it. Good storytelling with Matt’s back injury, RP3K are good heels, overall a lot better than their Dome match tbh. Entertaining as gently caress, made up for the disappointing main.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

was it you who posted that amazing King Kong Karhula match last year? I do wish the dude would come over to Scotland to work a few matches, partly for selfish reasons, partly b/c he’s a good hoss and he has a good chance of getting over around here

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

extradite THIS! posted:

I did. Bad news: Karhula loving extremely unfortunately retired at the last FCF event of last year due to some severe shoulder problems. He's only 28 too, and now FCF is without its biggest babyface :sigh: It sucks so, so, so much. Who knows if he'll ever return to the ring but he didn't seem too optimistic in his final promo.

His absence was definitely felt last weekend. You could always count on him on delivering a great match even if the rest of the card was disappointing.

Oh God no. :( That sucks so loving much. I really wanted him to make it big at some point, and that is just so drat disappointing. gently caress.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

And the junior tag scene is so strong with RPG3K and LIJ and

Also they had Dragon Lee and Titan over last year

...so, uh, when are they retiring the junior tag titles

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So was the Women’s EC any good then

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: nm, thinking about it, nah

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Adam Cole vs. Killian Daim vs. Ricochet vs. Lars Sullivan vs. Velveteen Dream vs. EC3, NXT Takeover: New Orleans, 4/7
HM: Ember Moon vs. Shayna Baszler, NXT Takeover: New Orleans, 4/7
HM: The Undisputed Era vs. The Authors of Pain vs. Pete Dunne and Roderick Strong, NXT Takeover: New Orleans, 4/7
MOTYC: Andrade ‘Cien’ Almas vs. Aleister Black, NXT Takeover: New Orleans, 4/7
MOTYC: Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa, NXT Takeover: New Orleans, 4/7

Greatest wrestling show of the year, and heck, greatest of the decade thus far, moreso than MITB 2011 or Wrestle Kingdoms 9, 10, 11 or 12. Holy loving poo poo anyone who was watching ROH tonight seriously missed out.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

MOTYC: Naomichi Marufuji vs. Kento Miyahara (AJPW Champion Carnival 4/30)

Marufuji has looked half asleep all tournament until his (also really great) match with Akiyama on Wednesday, and here he really turned it up. Some absolutely brutal spots.

thirded, and on that note I'd like to give an HM to Marufuji/Akiyama from Wednesday (AJPW Champion Carnival 4/25)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

WMOTYC: Dave Conrad vs. Deviation, Discovery Wrestling Live In Edinburgh, 5/6

Super heatless. Conrad had no reaction coming out and Deviation only had a pity pop at the start. Nobody cared about the brawl spot at the beginning, the match was by-the-numbers and nobody cared about either wrestler since neither properly turned face beforehand. Also, it had a bad RKO spot that just came off as derivative. The biggest pop in the match came when Joe Hendry's entrance video played and distracted Deviation for a rollup finish. Deviation at least has an okay gimmick (with his Mortal Kombat aesthetic), but Conrad came off as bland and lovely throughout. The whole thing was bad, anyway.

HM: Joey Ryan vs. DCT, Discovery Wrestling Live In Edinburgh, 5/6

This, however, was loving hilarious and amazing. DCT's thing is that he's the International Sex Hero, and he has such good chemistry with Joey. It started off with Joey trying to get DCT to touch his dick, but DCT's like 'naw, not before yi touch MAH dick' and it went back and forth beautifully. When DCT forced Joey's hand on his dick, Joey was like 'uhhhhhhh this isn't doing anything' and it was goddamn shocking. Also, he had two lollipops down his briefs. One of them was forced into the ref's mouth about halfway through, and the other played into the finish after DCT kicked out of the goddamn penisplex. Full of drama and super good.

Other recommendations from the show would be the opener between Polo Promotions and Shady Nattrass/Turbo Josh Terry, Andy Wild vs. Bad Bones and the main (as overbooked as it was) between Joe Coffey, BT Gunn and Aspen Faith.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 6, 2018

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Kings of Catch vs. Kings of the North, Discovery Wrestling Live, 7/1

Brilliant match that seriously solidified the KoC’s face turns, especially in the post-match segment.

Considered giving Joe Coffey vs. Jordan Devlin from this show an HM too, but tbh that was kinda slow and heatless for the first few minutes, but when it got going it REALLY got going, so yeah

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Makabe is a good worker.

I will always think of Okada/Makabe from Dominion 2013 as my go-to example of Great Storytelling in wrestling

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

WMOTYC: Holocausto vs Shalom, 8/12 IWRG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_-TyckA1Y

Has to be seen to be believed, straight out of wrestling school lucha.

loving hilarious. Masterful parody of terrible wrestli- oh, I missed the 'W' there. That was indeed terrible. Nth.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Jordan Devlin vs. Kenny Williams, Discovery Wrestling Live, 2/9

Holy poo poo. Amazing cruiserweight spotfest that you need to check out asap.

HM: Joe Coffey (c) vs. Christopher Saynt (Y Division Championship), Discovery Wrestling Live, 2/9

The House of Saynt are the biggest pieces of poo poo in Scotland and Joe Coffey is the greatest wrestler in Scotland. I booed myself hoarse at Saynt, and there was so much interference but it didn’t feel overbooked, it felt loving scary and brilliant and it only misses out on MOTYC status because the interference won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. I loved it though.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 2, 2018

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Andreza Giant Panda vs. Super Sasadango Machine, DDT “RYOGOKU PETER PAN 2018 ~FALL WRESTLING CULTURE FESTIVAL~”, 10/21

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Nth

Also

HM: MAO/Sanshiro Takagi
HM: Konosuke Takeshita/CIMA

Nth

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Coaaab posted:

MOTYC: Zeus (c) vs Kento Miyahara - Triple Crown - AJPW Raising An Army Memorial Series (10/21)

Zeus repeatedly karate chopping the neck of a prone Kento is what I live for.

4th

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Joe Hendry vs. Timothy Thatcher, Y Division Title #1 Contender’s Match, Discovery Wrestling: 48 Months Later, 11/4

Solid piece of catch wrestling. Thatcher is a drat good wrestler, and Hendry is the perfect opponent to keep die matte heilig. Well worth watching if you can.

MOTYC: Gene Munny vs. Sugar Dunkerton, Zombie Survival Match, Discovery Wrestling: 48 Months Later, 11/4

This, though. This was the greatest lumberjack match of all time. Not a hard bar, but it’s very easy when the lumberjacks are all zombies and the winner is the first one to stay alive. Munny and Suge both play their roles perfectly, as do the ref and Simon Cassidy. Absolutely amazing stuff from everyone involved.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 6, 2018

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Venomous posted:

MOTYC: Gene Munny vs. Sugar Dunkerton, Zombie Survival Match, Discovery Wrestling: 48 Months Later, 11/4

This, though. This was the greatest lumberjack match of all time. Not a hard bar, but it’s very easy when the lumberjacks are all zombies and the winner is the first one to stay alive. Munny and Suge both play their roles perfectly, as do the ref and Simon Cassidy. Absolutely amazing stuff from everyone involved.

Will quote this again when the full match goes up, but just to give you a taste of the greatest lumberjack match of all time:

https://twitter.com/discowrestling/status/1059535675337441288?s=21

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

MOTYC: Aleister Black vs. Johnny Gargano, NXT Takeover: WarGames 2, 11/17

nth

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: 10-on-10 Survivor Series Tag Team Elimination Match, WWE Survivor Series Kickoff Show, 11/19

This was some cool poo poo tbh. Some amazingly insane spots, especially towards the end, and it remained tense right until the last pinfall. Should've been on the main show.

e:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM: Buddy Murphy vs. Mustafa Ali, WWE Survivor Series, 11/18

Crowd sucked but gently caress it, this was a really good match

2nd, they poured out their heart and soul for this crowd, best match of the night so far

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Testekill posted:

WMOTYC: Team RAW VS Team Smackdown, WWE Survivor Series, 11/18

What a wet loving fart of a match

2nd, loving horrible booking

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC Bryan/Lesnar

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

They would of made Daniel look great if he got all that offense in without having to cheat.

psssst...that’s what made him look great in this match

If you can’t win fairly, you cheat like hell and hope you come out on top

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

HM: Daniel Bryan vs AJ Styles at WWE TLC 12/16/18

nth

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

WMOTYC: Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose, WWE Tables, Ladders & Chairs 2018, 12/16

this match loving sucked and it really shouldn't have sucked. What the gently caress happened to Seth this year?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Becky Lynch (C) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Asuka in a Triple Threat Tables, Ladders & Chairs match for the Smackdown Women's Championship - WWE TLC 12/16

loving perfection.

nth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Before the thread closes for the new year, I want to give this another mention since Disco just released the match online:

Venomous posted:

HM: Joe Coffey (c) vs. Christopher Saynt (Y Division Championship), Discovery Wrestling Live, 2/9

The House of Saynt are the biggest pieces of poo poo in Scotland and Joe Coffey is the greatest wrestler in Scotland. I booed myself hoarse at Saynt, and there was so much interference but it didn’t feel overbooked, it felt loving scary and brilliant and it only misses out on MOTYC status because the interference won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. I loved it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZndfiojDkhI

Rewatching it now it’s just as wonderful as it was when I saw it live and I highly recommend everyone give this a shot, especially since Joe Coffey’s gonna beat Pete Dunne for the WWE UK belt in a couple of weeks

e: wee bit of context btw: Mark Coffey’s tag partner cancelled on him before the show, and when he couldn’t find another in the back, he was forced into a handicap match against the Kings of the North. Joe Coffey saved him, but while he was out there, Christopher Saynt appeared at the top of the ramp and stole the Y Division title. Joe’s still the champ here.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 1, 2019