Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg0i0nm35TE

quote:

Akira Fudo learns from his best friend, Ryo Asuka, that an ancient race of demons has returned to take back the world from humans. Ryo tells Akira that the only way to defeat the demons is to incorporate their supernatural powers, and suggests that he unite with a demon himself. Akira succeeds in transforming into Devilman, who possesses both the powers of a demon and the soul of a human. The battle of Devilman and Akira Fudo begins.

Devilman Crybaby is an adaption of the classic Go Nagai action/horror manga Devilman. Directed by Masaaki Yuasa (Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong The Animation, and many other fine anime) and animated by the fine folks at Science Saru (many of whom worked alongside Yuasa's other projects). It's going for a different artstyle than the original, but while the old OVAs are badass in their own way this could finally be an adaption that does the source material justice while telling the full story instead of just a small piece.

Netflix will be putting up all 10 episodes tomorrow. Brace yourself for what will likely be one of the best shows of the season, if not the whole year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww06yGPM7Kc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Holy Queef posted:

The original came out 46 years ago. Not feeling old for once is refreshing. Now I have an excuse to renew my Netflix sub.

edit: Toei Animation doesn't have a finger in the new adaptation I hope?

They have no involvement, it's all on Science Saru.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MechaX posted:

And then suddenly he wet dreams so hard that he jizzed right into the goddamn ceiling.

Not only was this intentionally hilarious but it's also the hardest I've laughed at an anime in quite some time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lmao

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Calvin Coolposts posted:

I really liked this show, it got me hyped as hell to reread the manga when it comes out this year. This is also the first Yuasa show I've ever seen and I really like his style, I'm definitely going to go check out his earlier work.

Is the Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman show on Netflix worth watching?

It's pretty good. It's directed by the same guy that did the 2001 Cyborg 009 tv series. Jun Kawagoe is a solid action director and it's a bummer that he's not as prolific as he used to be.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

with the cyborg 009/devilman crossover, i dunno how it is executed in that particular series but the base premise of cyborg 009 has enough darkness that i don't think they're wildly miscast. all the cyborgs are people kidnapped and experimented on until they become horrible weapons and they have to reckon with that while trying to escape their captor and then prevent him from destroying the world via war. it dovetails with devilman's anti-war message and the sort of existential questions about personhood (the latter doesn't seem huge in either, but the resonance is there). plus devilman as a media franchise will always have that 70's tv series (and now crybaby) bringing some lightness and goofiness to it to temper the tits/gore/apocalypse stuff.

Yeah this is pretty much how it goes. It's primarily something to watch for its action but it does sprinkle in some light discussion on whether the characters in both can still call themselves human.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

so is this most people's first exposure to devilman? I'm just kind of surprised since all of it has been on youtube for years free to watch and the manga is easily readable for free as well.

You have to go out of your way to watch/read the original especially since there currently aren't legal methods (at least until the manga gets reprinted later this year), as opposed to a new show that's actively being promoted by the most popular streaming service in the world.

Not to mention that Yuasa helming it is a factor for getting new viewers that absolutely shouldn't be overlooked.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yup. It's like 40 years old, who's gonna read a manga that old? And the anime's, uh, all over the place so again: who's gonna watch it?

Anyone with this attitude is my enemy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

The animation style in the old Devilman is the same kind used by Lupin III and there something about the rounded noses and helmet-hair that is so visually uninviting I would never watch anything drawn that way of my own accord. I prefer the more crisp angular character models of Devilman-Crybaby (I could watch a whole show of just the kids running track it was beautiful) or something like Outlaw Star where everyone’s exaggerated physiques match up to their personalities, so their weird shapes extend their characters. I don’t get that impression from Lupin or Devilman (but ive never watched them so I could be wrong).

Maybe you should actually watch a bit of Lupin and give it a chance before saying that! As a big Lupin fan I can say that, the old Lupin shows might be limited in their animation but they're real smart about how they work around their limitations in a way that a lot of 70s anime wasn't able to do. There's a ton of personality to it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought they were all old, is there new Lupin that isn’t as desaturated and washed out looking? Their use of color was another big turn-off but since were all talking about modern adaptations of 40 year old manga I’d be happy to give it a chance. I like heists and capers, I just hate the way every commercial makes it look.

Naw there's a ton of Lupin both old and new (and a lot of it is on Crunchyroll!), but I'd heavily disagree with that assessment. Especially once you get around to the 80s. Also there's a lot of old anime that used to look washed out due to poor dvd quality but managed to improve after a better transfer, especially old stuff that gets put out on blu-ray.

Anyways for modern Lupin just hit up Lupin Part IV, it's all on Crunchyroll and despite being called Part IV you don't need to know a thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ever since The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Lupin as a franchise has been having its best decade since the 80s. That and nearly everything made afterwards are all very much worth checking out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I almost wish it was a weekly release, because then the online discourse between episodes would've made it a more enjoyable first watch. I am glad that we got a shot of Akira's monster dong though, poo poo was hilarious. I was a little annoyed that it was only restricted to the second ep though, we got so much (unnecessary) cameltoe in every other episode.

I feel the complete opposite wrt its release. If it was weekly way fewer people would have seen it because the juiciest parts are in the second half, so word of mouth wouldn't be nearly as potent as it was (I'm still surprised that there's a lot of Devilman memes in 2018. What a world). Also it really cuts down on speculation-posting which imo is by far the weakest part of online discourse, I'd glad that the conversation from the get-go was around stuff that happened in the show instead of stuff that may or may not happen in the show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

My MO...is posting JesuOtaku's take on Go Nagai somehow being responsible for Harem anime.

*Thinks about all the manga genres Nagai was responsible for starting*

haha that's just crazy

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The bulk of their job involves contemporary stuff so that's p different from podcasts that talk about old games.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

I was just thinking of this thread and all the LGBT talk this show has generated and then I thought "there aren't actually any gay relationships in this show?"

Ryo is Satan, and is neither male or female. Akira loves Miki, who loves Akira. Mido is in a relationship with that rapper and thinks about Akira's huge dong.

The straightest thing that a man can do is to gently caress another man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Coding exists in media for a reason. There's a lot of space in between being explicitly stated and people just projecting/shipping/what have you.

• Locked thread