Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Riven is amazing, one of the few mystlikes where the puzzles seem to actually just be part of the world and not arbitrary poo poo where doors are locked with musical puzzles for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

exquisite tea posted:

The original masters of Riven were lost a long time ago so we'll probably never see an HD remake unless the entire game is basically built back up from scratch. A great tragedy as Riven is one of the best adventure games ever made (not an unpopular opinion).

I remember its reception not being great so I never played it. I also didn't really care for Myst and wished I got the In The 1st Degree game that had a trailer on the disc, though :v:

I read 3 Myst tie in novels and really enjoyed them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Riven is amazing, one of the few mystlikes where the puzzles seem to actually just be part of the world and not arbitrary poo poo where doors are locked with musical puzzles for no reason.

Figuring out the D'ni counting system was base 5 before I even understood that concept mathematically made me feel like a freaking genius at age 12.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Figuring out the D'ni counting system was base 5 before I even understood that concept mathematically made me feel like a freaking genius at age 12.

(riven puzzle spoilers) figuring out that the giant rear end grid in the golden dome was a map was that moment for me. the base-5 thing remains one of my favorite game puzzles of all time, because of how much sense it makes in the game world

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Discworld 1 was a fun adventure game though.

... better than Discworld 2.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

exquisite tea posted:

The original masters of Riven were lost a long time ago so we'll probably never see an HD remake unless the entire game is basically built back up from scratch. A great tragedy as Riven is one of the best adventure games ever made (not an unpopular opinion).

That is a real shame. It really had a great atmosphere of mystery and 'why am I even here'
I got the guide book to it and the book started with something like 'We can't explain how or why you'll be doing some of the stuff we tell you to do, but just follow the steps' or similar.
Man that game was crazy hard

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I had a strategy guide for Riven which had like five or six different styles of hint guide in it, from vague hints, to a straight up listing of all puzzle solutions, to an actual novella adaptation of the game. They put a shitload of effort into it, it's still one of the best hint guides I've ever read.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I was too young to figure Riven out and didn't actually own the game but I really loved the setting of that game, I love the premise of a metaphysically broken world that's falling apart.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I had a strategy guide for Riven which had like five or six different styles of hint guide in it, from vague hints, to a straight up listing of all puzzle solutions, to an actual novella adaptation of the game. They put a shitload of effort into it, it's still one of the best hint guides I've ever read.

It may have been the same, it was a long time ago now.
It would just say 'Turn the stone to have this symbol @ facing this symbol #' and not tell you how or why, I remember I used it mainly to figure out the language that was in the game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Discworld 1 was a fun adventure game though.

... better than Discworld 2.

Discworld 1 had a PS1 version I've thought about picking up. I played the hell out of the demo on the PC Gamer August 95 CD back in the day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheScott2K posted:

Discworld 1 had a PS1 version I've thought about picking up. I played the hell out of the demo on the PC Gamer August 95 CD back in the day.

yeah i played it on PS1 and it owned hard

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst era of 3D graphics isn't the early PS1/Saturn/N64 days, it's the early 360/Unreal Engine 3 days where everything was either brown or looked like it was covered in slime.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Quake is one of the ugliest games ever made. Just loving awful art direction.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Some people don't like it because it's obtuse but there's a certain logic to a lot of the puzzles and it just looks great. Some items are simply useless.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The worst era of 3D graphics isn't the early PS1/Saturn/N64 days, it's the early 360/Unreal Engine 3 days where everything was either brown or looked like it was covered in slime.

Yeah, the ugliest game ever made is probably Unreal Tournament III, which looks like it's made out of freshly butchered slabs of meat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bioshock 1, apart from the Big Daddy, had some of the worst model work I've ever seen in a video game. Holy poo poo did everything in that game look bad, and not in a creepy way, just lovely

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Unpopular opinion: I really like Bioshock Infinite

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

peter gabriel posted:

Unpopular opinion: I really like Bioshock Infinite

thread title says "unpopular" not "insane" my man :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That game earns its place in history for its visuals and use of licenced music alone. Don't @ me.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

That game earns its place in history for its visuals and use of licenced music alone. Don't @ me.

So many single player games seem to be the product of creative people who couldn't get into the TV or movie business

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

the best song in the game is public domain tho

("may the circle be unbroken")

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bioshock 2 is way better than 1 and Infinite at basically everything.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

Bioshock 2 is way better than 1 and Infinite at basically everything.

I actually completely agree, it has by far the best combat in the series and the last few levels are great (unlike Infinite, BS1, and actually System Shock 2, where the last levels are the worst by a good margin)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
here's an unpopular Shock opinion: The RPG elements (by which I mean skill stats, stuff like the inventory system was fine) were a net negative to System Shock 2, and System Shock 1, once you get past the weird controls, is a significantly better game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

precision posted:

the best song in the game is public domain tho

("may the circle be unbroken")

which censors all of the references to God for super impenetrable reasons

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
This seems to be an unpopular opinion on this forum - crafting Steam badges is (was?) actually fun, as long as:

- You like the game.
- You like the art for the badge and the cards.
- The big one: you actually trade for them with like-minded people rather than buy them on the marketplace.

I spent a long time a few years ago hunting down Pixeljunk Eden cards. This was before it was in a Humble bundle, and so the cards were rare and regularly valued between $0.30-0.60, and I was adamant on not spending any money on it because why the hell would anyone do that. It took several months of sifting through random inventories and searching on Steam groups before I managed to get my badge to level 5. But the thing is - it was actually really fun to spot a card that I needed, like landing a super rare drop in an ARPG. And then to figure out what that user's looking for, find it in a different user's inventory, figure out what that user's looking for, etc. Engineering a series of (fair) trades that ended with my obtaining a precious rare card felt legit rewarding.

Granted it very quickly was corrupted by the marketplace and card hoarders who are only looking for profit, as well as the insane flood of games in recent years which makes tracking down specific cards harder, but there are still smaller Steam groups who are really just into balanced trades. I haven't crafted any in a few years, but it was fun at the time. Pointless, yes, but really just a trading game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BS2 is probably the best in terms of being a polished FPS, but everything that made the other 'Shock games cool and interesting is bad bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feels Villeneuve posted:

here's an unpopular Shock opinion: The RPG elements (by which I mean skill stats, stuff like the inventory system was fine) were a net negative to System Shock 2, and System Shock 1, once you get past the weird controls, is a significantly better game.

SS1's controls thwarted me when I tried it a few years ago, but I'm interested in that remake, whatever's happening with it.

quote:

I actually completely agree, it has by far the best combat in the series and the last few levels are great (unlike Infinite, BS1, and actually System Shock 2, where the last levels are the worst by a good margin)

The last sections have a really cool momentum to them, especially when you're using the upgraded drill. You just barrel your way through while your guy's trying to keep himself upright.

The multiplayer was good for what it was too, though the dlc completely broke what little balance there was.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 22, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

SS1's controls thwarted me when I tried it a few years ago, but I'm interested in that remake, whatever's happening with it.

idk. the Portable Edition's controls are basically similar to SS2 where you hit a button to turn mouselook on or off, I found it perfectly fine with that being used.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

When I see one of my Steam friends even has Bioshock in their library I kind of go :how:

SNES Aladdin was better than Genesis Aladdin. People just like to think the latter is better just because you had a sword, but the SNES one is way more fun.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

precision posted:

Quake is one of the ugliest games ever made. Just loving awful art direction.

Romero did have a point when he said "Design is law!!!". Granted, he failed miserably when he tried to prove his point via Daikatana, but at least he was right.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Riven was boring. You just wandered around an almost empty world full of random junk that did... things? Everything felt contrived and pointless.

peter gabriel posted:

'why am I even here'
Exactly. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Good soup! posted:

Tyrian is the greatest shmup

Is this an unpopular opinion? Because it's a very good one.

exquisite tea posted:

http://www.starryexpanse.com/

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
All RPG levelling up systems suck. All of them. You start out with the game being a challenge which you cannot meet imaginitively because your character has only one or two skills; you end with your character having lots of skills and no need to use them because you have 5000 health and Massive Armour of Untouchability or what have you.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Oh dear me posted:

All RPG levelling up systems suck. All of them. You start out with the game being a challenge which you cannot meet imaginitively because your character has only one or two skills; you end with your character having lots of skills and no need to use them because you have 5000 health and Massive Armour of Untouchability or what have you.

*Is playing Baldur's Gate 1*

Oh man it's a horde of gibberlings! Ok my magic missile killed one, well that was 100% of my magic capability so send in the level 1 fighters!

*Fighters and gibberling spend 20 turns missing each other, eventually something takes 3 damage and dies*

Later...

*Is playing Baldur's Gate 2*

Oh man it's a powerful wizard! It is time for a magic duel of epic proportions! With all the spells in this game who knows what could happen! Let the battle begin!

*Casts True Sight casts Breach fight might was well be over*

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Oh dear me posted:

This. And the only thing really worse about games these days than games before is that everyone includes RPG progression in them now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
more games should adapt the diablo 3 system where you can freely switch between wildly different builds without having to find some NPC and pay him money to use different skills

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

more games should adapt the diablo 3 system where you can freely switch between wildly different builds without having to find some NPC and pay him money to use different skills

No you see it ruins character customisation if you don't have to replay the entire game to correct a mistake.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Panzeh posted:

This. And the only thing really worse about games these days than games before is that everyone includes RPG progression in them now.

This is not a new thing, games have been including RPG elements since forever

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
I was debating with myself about posting this in the unpopular opinions thread or the terrible games on steam thread & ended up here. I need to get this off my chest: the new Wolfenstein 2: the new Colossus SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! It really makes me sad because I thought Wolfenstein: the New Order was masterpiece. Enemy Territory I thought was excellent arena FPS combat. Wolfenstein: the Old Blood was pretty ok. It was kind of campy but that can be fun too. Sort of like the game No One Lives Forever 2. Anyways, the new game is a complete turd because the bad guys are complete nutcases and the story line doesn't make any sense - they have a lot of plot twists that are just too unbelievable to be taken seriously. I guess I can admit that it can be fun to go in that direction but I just wish they had more of an authentic mindset about it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/612880/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Steve2911 posted:

No you see it ruins character customisation if you don't have to replay the entire game to correct a mistake.

It's also super important that you can ruin your character forever by foolishy putting points in the wrong stat because you didn't know any better despite the entire metagame revolving around copying someone else's build anyway.

The one negative thing I'll say about D3's skill system is that it lacks a sense of progression. Runes and to a lesser extent skills unlock progressively, but fundamentally need to balanced independent of that, so a lot of the time your build will be done well before you've unlocked everything. That leaves you to chase loot (which pre-endgame is largely interchangeable outside of the occasional nice unique) or get invested in the story, which uhh...isn't as bad as most people say it is, but still isn't great.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 22, 2018

• Locked thread