Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

toiletbrush posted:

Sometimes when you interview it feels like the interviewers really want you to succeed and are on your team, other times it feels like they're against you, trying to catch you out or wanting you to fail.

Obvs there are times its appropriate, but a coding challenge where you can't google stuff feels like it would be a you-vs-us interview and I generally take that as a big red flag.

I hate the adversarial interview. Because then if I accept an offer I’m suddenly supposed to make nice and sing kumbaya with these folks who had spent a day of my time trying to make me fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Did an all day remote interview today and man I dig this

I get to sleep in my own bed the night before, no trying to figure out how to send them the bill for my cab to/from the airport, and I can take bathroom breaks in my own bathroom

There is nothing I hate more than sitting in the airport after the interview, Monday morning quarterbacking the whole thing, because I have nothing else to do

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

cheque_some posted:

I felt like getting a free trip and a nice hotel (except for you, Amazon!!) paid for was a consolation if I didn't pass the interview. At least they have some skin in the game.

lol Amazon insisted on flying me home the same day as the interview even though I told them I had family in town I wanted to visit while I was there and they weren’t on the hook for hotel

Also they scheduled the interview from 11a to 4p so I would miss the last direct flight of the day at 6:30 and instead they booked me on a midnight red eye with a connection.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I am long past "no tech experience" but having been in the market again recently I wish I at least kept some portfolio style thing with screenshots/videos of the products I worked on and made a little writeup about my role.

In part because I just plain forgot the really meaty relevant details that would be good for a "tell me about a time you did xyz" interview question and it'd be a good reference just for me.

But also because in one case the company is now just plain defunct, and in others the app has been completely redesigned since I worked on it and the features I had a part of have been either redone or axed, so I couldn't show it off even if I wanted to.

I'm wanting to quit my job because they're already planning to rip out my native mobile work and replace it with webviews, so I already know right out of the gates I need to gather up as much screenshots and such as I can and do that writeup before it's all wiped out

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

just signed an offer, I’ve been doing okay for myself but finally obtained SV tier figgies and get to stay in flyover land

I’d like to thank the academy

jesus WEP posted:

is this how interviews go when you know someone

yeah pretty much

one time I reached out to an old boss, we had lunch, I had a formal offer in my inbox before I got home

interviewed at another place where half the team knew me from tech community and I had also just given a conference talk in that city. I had the usual panels but one guy literally said “I normally have this dumb whiteboard problem I gotta give but I saw your conference talk last week so I’m gonna skip that and let’s just casually talk shop for an hour”

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

love to fill out background check for new job and check the box that a former employer of mine is defunct (basically acquired into oblivion but yeah)

so then it says “ok cool please attach W-2s or paystubs for this job you had in 2012” like anyone would still have that somewhere

also turns out I am a digital pack rat and actually managed to find the W-2s in some deep corner in dropbox

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Steve Jorbs posted:

That exact thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Background check required W-2 for everything listed on resume 7 years or newer. Of course I lost the paperwork for the company I did contract work for that had merged and been acquired. After cold calling and emailing them a bunch I managed to get through to someone who remembered me and got me everything I needed.

yeah lesson learned on my part not to shred W-2s and such after 4 years just because the IRS doesn't want it past then

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bossy posted:

Another point comes to mind- I've got a bit of imposter syndrome with the new title. Any advice for switching companies when you feel like you might not really own the role you're switching into?

If you feel like you're the smartest one in the room then you're not going to grow

The other impostor syndrome thing that goes hand in hand with this is taking a new job with a huge pay bump. Don't let you convince yourself that the bigger check comes with a requirement to overwork yourself because of the pay, you just do what you're used to doing and now you're not being underpaid for it

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

raminasi posted:

also remember that you don’t know for sure how much money you actually left on the table, if any. you might have gotten lucky and nailed their upper limit accidentally. lucky things happen sometimes!

this happened with my current job, the recruiter asked during the phone screen what number i expected. i just threw out prior salary + 20%. he's like "yeah we can definitely get you that" and then the offer came in right at that number.

i was absolutely convinced i goofed up and left a ton more money on the table.

then a few years later some colleagues and i started talking pay and i found out that i was making way more than any of them, turned out the number i threw out in that early call was top of the band

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

CarForumPoster posted:

This was not true for me at a FAANG in 2013 where, right of of a mediocre school with a 3.0 GPA, I got $+5K SOB and $5k/yr in RSUs by basically asking for it. This may or may not be true in other situations and was for a mech engineering position. I did not have a competing FAANG or a BATNA that was comparable.

I just signed a remote offer with a FAANG-lite and they asked me what number I wanted to see

I gave them a number and was told if I was in SF/NYC I could get that but not where I live. A day later they came back with an offer and said this is our best and final offer given your location and pay band for the title, it was like 90% of the number I asked for earlier

I can't help but think I could've done better if I brought a competing FAANG offer. But I didn't go on the big interview circuit as I am still pretty convinced that, despite landing a six and a half figgie job, I am bad at what I do and would fail in an impressive manner

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

CarForumPoster posted:

anyone ever lol at making >$150k without going to med school and maybe without going to extra school at all

literal life saving people make what you make for writing code that is always marching toward obsolescence, often never actually sees the light of prod

Meanwhile I used to write software for cancer research and treatment and was paid all of $75K for it

I make over 2x that now to make a cell phone game you play on the toilet

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bossy posted:

Place I'm applying for is asking for a 20 minute presentation on a technical topic, preferrably a project I've completed somewhere else. What the gently caress just give me a takehome job for a week

I had to do one of these. I had to submit the deck a couple days in advance and they distributed it internally to the panel.

During the presentation it became clear they didn’t care about the content, it was a test on how you thought on your feet. They would chuck questions at me and deliberately try to hijack the conversation. Real obvious attempts, too, like someone would stop me to ask a question about a 100% unrelated thing that was two slides further in. The whole thing felt like a big improv comedy bit and I was there as the unwitting stooge.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Depends on the kind of presentation too.

If it’s a presentation for a work meeting, probably 3-4 hours for a 20-30 minute presentation.

If it’s a conference talk, my general rule is one hour of prep per minute of talk.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Truman Peyote posted:

idk, it's pretty easy to make these values things work for you in my experience. i'm not cutting scope, i'm showing "frugality." you don't want to change this API for me? I'm asking you to exercise "ownership." i don't want to spend a ton of time figuring out if my hunch on this bug is right, so I'm proceeding with a "bias for action."

yeah it's easy for me to list opportunities to demonstrate "taking ownership" when services we depend upon are raining SEVs down on us and my team has to deal with the actual customer-facing consequences

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

agree, having just found a gnarly bug in prod that dates back to the first Obama term

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

CarForumPoster posted:

My new favorite thing is CS undergrad resumes that put python: advanced in their skills.

when i was a stupid CS undergrad 20+ years ago a microsoft interviewer doing on-campus screens absolutely took me to the woodshed for doing this and was completely justified in it

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

did virtual onsite with a FAANG this week and the recruiter asked me if i had any competing offers on hand

how the hell do people do it, keep up a day job and also interview so hard they have multiple competing offers, concurrently? i don't even mean interview stress or anything, i mean just the logistics of coordinating everyone's time and everything, and being able to block out a ton of time on your calendar so they can find someone to take the interviews

or idk maybe this is just a symptom of my own work calendar being a gd mess and our crap meeting culture contributing to why i'm looking to change jobs

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

or idk maybe this is just a symptom of my own work calendar being a gd mess and our crap meeting culture contributing to why i'm looking to change jobs

beginning to think this is the real explanation then and i am just living in hell right now

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

raminasi posted:

what about that feedback do you think could possibly be actionable? it's not like you're going to go through the same interview process with the same people again, and even if you somehow could, why would you trust anything they'd write?

yup. i got a reject last night and the recruiter offered to set up a call to discuss feedback.

between their take home and interview loop i already invested twelve hours of my life into their process. i’m not going to waste another half hour of both of our time on a call where i’m not going to get anything actionable for the next company i interview with.

also if you’re not willing to put it in writing then it’s likely based on vibes you don’t want to get sued over and not iron clad objective assessment anyway

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 5, 2023

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

raminasi posted:

i wish, when i was considering joining a startup, i'd asked myself how much time i was willing to spend managing the egos of a pair of twenty-somethings who have lots of authority but absolutely zero leadership experience.

i just finished getting rejected by a startup last week and i probably should have seen this coming

they're series C company so theoretically they should have some adult supervision at this point. but everyone in the process was a bunch of 25 year old dudes, one of whom used the phrase "lifelong autodidact" on his linkedin so i should have had the sense here that this was going to be a stinker

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

ABET accreditation mostly involves required courses in physics, chemistry, multivariable calculus and differential equations. Not really all that useful for most of us.

My university offered two tracks for CS. One was ABET accredited and needed all that, plus a specific set of mandatory CS courses. The other non-ABET track required no physics, chemistry, or diff eq, and you got an easier statistics class too. The "mandatory" CS courses on the accredited track were ones it would behoove you to take, regardless of your choice. My advisor told me point blank the non-ABET track was fine but he wasn't gonna let me off the hook on compilers class.

It's been 20+ years and I can safely say I have absolutely, positively, zero regrets over opting for the non-ABET so I could take classes like photography and fiction writing instead of physics and chemistry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

i interviewed at a place that called it a “blitz” interview and i had no idea what that meant, i assumed that was their term for “you talk to a bunch of people today”

i showed up and the receptionist leads me to a conference room with three or four other candidates who all looked similarly dumbfounded as i was

turns out that means they bring in everyone shortlisted for the position all at once and they do a “loop” speed dating style. you talked to an interviewer for an hour and then everyone rotates

the VP of engineering called me the next day to tell me she had an opening she thought was a better fit, and i politely turned her down because i was still mildly fuming from being herded like cattle the day prior