Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i dont program in my free time, why would i have a github

why would any company willingly contribute to open source

serious q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm sure this will be highly effective, like the prohibitions on inquiring about marital status

there is a cottage industry of people that specifically go around and sue people for settlement money this way

or so i have heard, but it wouldn't surprise me

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I finally get to hire another person and I don't really know what to do besides give them a small technical test that represents a real thing I've had to do that has no gotchas, and talk to them.

It's a junior position but is expecting people to know how JOINs and the commandline work junior? No trivia, just "how would you do this"?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

there's a strange tendency for application programmers to view sql as somehow beneath them, which is especially funny when their application is primarily an interface to a sql database

i absolutely rag on this for any of my other coworkers that are like "oh you dont need to do SQL so its great"

this is how we got mongo motherfcukers

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

BEFORE
- review the candidate's resume AND the job requisition. mark required skills on the resume and note any significant skill gaps.
- prepare and write down your questions. allocate 3-5 minutes for short answer, 10-15 for long answer/design, 20 for coding (i.e. you probably should leave the coding exercise to someone else)
  • describe some ubiquitous features of required tech (e.g. how do you define a subclass in java, what's a foreign key in SQL, where are system configuration files in Linux). these should be features that someone experienced in the tech would necessarily know from memory. I call these the "spell cat" questions.
  • design a solution to a simple problem using tech that they claim experience in that is relevant to the job (e.g. schematize a simple data model, create a "select/deselect all" UI)
  • describe a difficult work situation in their experience and how they dealt with it
  • if there are any significant skill gaps in the resume, ask whether they have experience with those.

DURING
- shake the candidate's hand, introduce yourself, and make small talk about something on their resume
- if the candidate blanks at a question, ask whether they understood. if they continue to blank, move on.
- don't ask questions touching on the candidate's race, sex, age, national origin, religion, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity/expression (e.g. "where are you from?", "when did you graduate high school?")

AFTER
- write up feedback promptly, with a hire/don't hire decision and brief reasons

add this to the op

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

c interview s: smooth interview but wont hire based on technical chops

i know test nerves are a thing but I was really up front about like "hey you can ask questions and use google to your heart's content"

it was not a clever problem, it was something we've done tons on the job (using left joins correctly/effectively)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

If you need the money or are willing to grind it out, yea

Otherwise medium

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

Also Santa Monica seems lame take me back to New Jersey.

LA is west coast new jersey with "better" weather

Do not contact me with Unsolicited Services or Offers.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

i got my last team to sunset our lovely python tools in favor of writing new ones rust and then once that was wildly successful we went back and started rewriting old ones in rust too

i've been planning to do this for a little bit, problem is my team is barely on python, people still love bash

i can probably do it for my own crap

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

jit bull transpile posted:

this kinda hard power poo poo doesn't work for women

While talking with my SO about this kind of stuff, we both started looking into how this works as a gendered thing and so looked for books on the topic. We found the most highly recommended book on this topic is "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office". It is OK about introducing that women need to ask for more, but also does not say (often) that "guys are inherently biased against this for a ton of reasons". She has since found a much better job and negotiated into actually being paid well from taking this book's advice.

I have been trying to think of better approaches than this in the same kind of context, but I'm stupid so I can't. I would like men to be less inclined to manage/act like this, and for poo poo to be less systematically stacked against anyone who is not a white man, but the aggressive line can work.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

C Hiring S: If you provide an acquaintance's resume to HR or another department as a suggestion for a position (seekin that referral bonus), make sure to follow up with them, because hiring/that department may either drop it on the floor or never get back to you (and you want that referral bonus)

Turns out a resume I provided a completely different department for a friend got missed because the head was on vacation, followed up, now they probably have an interview soon

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

maybe he's deliberate, in the rare way that people can be that obnoxious, purposefully, for every day they're alive

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Sup jobbers? How is comin' at ya. I just put in a new pull request (that's what she said ;) ) at my job, this time for a better la croix flavor. Anyway, I told my boss I'm an ironic Nazi for the lulz and he's really harshing my vibe. Why can't anyone vibe with my vibe? I guess it's vibes.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

rotor posted:

How has taught me that maintainable code is just another word for "code I wrote"

you and everyone in our professional class, yeah

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

like dan luu or someone has done a cost-benefit analysis of maintaining a remote work infra vs office space right

i'm sure it comes down on the side of remote work

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

"bbut collaboration"
- someone who has a huge private office or at the very least a conference room nobody can book but their assistant

a million dogs and babies cry out via skype but are suddenly silenced by a manager with a control problem

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

The Management posted:

in case it wasn’t obvious for you noobs, never work

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

relocating is such a loving weird thing in 2020, to me

if you gotta get out, you gotta get out, but what if you already live in chicago or seattle or nyc or something? there's a ton of tradeoffs.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

going to attempt to join a different team at my current company as i have been cleaning up other people's messes for too long and now i want to make the messes

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

put in an app for a tangential role to my own in a different department and org at the same company

mainly cause im tired of my current role, its not bad but i want to work on developing my career beyond “does everything it/software related”

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

bombed internal team switch interview in my opinion

i fumbled a question that i knew
and misremembered/miscategorized some tech ive barely touched (which i then said after answering up the question, rather than before, oops)

we shall see how it gets evaluated relative to other candidates

super demotivating to bomb out on stuff i thought i knew though

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Huge Bank Clan - Mystery of Type Boxing

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

The Fool posted:

maybe, but it was like 2 hours of work while watching tv, not really worried about it

whats tf here? tensorflow?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Private Speech posted:

takeaway from recent interviews is that I should really memorize the syntax of all UNIX commands

I guess I can see it since I'm applying for embedded/systems developer roles but it's pretty trivia based; I can get ~70% of them but for the rest I'm going to google or look at man files

for a lot of them I know the exact output format but syntax is just whatever

I'd think that's a decent enough answer but it didn't seem to satisfy the interviewer

hmm use used gnu date syntax when we're a bsd date shop, sorry, you fail and you should feel bad

(this poo poo doesn't matter)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

i have said yes to hiring people based primarily on the questions they asked

also same

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

while this is like “hiring for culture fit” i think any reasonably competent team should be able to get by without some psuedo psychology bullshit

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

with my current job i said nothing at all

two weeks after starting, the (former) HR person cornered me and said we're not releasing your paycheck until you tell me how much you made at your last job

didnt really care about the consequences at that point so i told em

50% increase job over job, they were kinda pissed

edit: was drinking when i wrote this, removed a redundancy

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 16, 2021

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

The Fool posted:

that’s hosed up and illegal

yup

there's reasons why they're former

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

so yeah, never say a number

also probably brush up on what the local laws for this are, that's now 100% illegal in new york (barring some other law about paying me) but it wasn't then

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 12, 2021

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

I really really wanted to but I think this honestly would have killed the deal, they said that they're not in the space to compete with Google or Apple and they won't, so it kind of set the stage that if I went too high there was a real possibility of them saying "nice meeting you, Good luck" and I honestly didn't want that to happen because this is more money than I ever thought that I'd see

When I said the same thing to my buddy he said "lol shut up and just take the win"

quote:

shoulda shut the gently caress up and asked for 30k above what they said and be happy w 20k above

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I got rejected from a job at a consultancy place in Edinburgh because my grades from High School weren't good enough. 'We only higher straight A's!'

tiny lol (i kid, i kid)

quote:

I think it's good advice to tell people that it's possible to apply and get interviews without doing these things, and also to complain about the unfairness of them / scold hiring managers in this thread for caring about these things too much, but these things definitely increase your resume response rate, which is the other side of the "resume bomb" coin. So in a thread that is giving people advice for breaking into the field, it wouldn't be great for people to leave the thread without that impression. If I didn't do these things back in 2013, there's a good chance that it wouldn't have worked out for me I think.

I think it's really good to yell at people who are hiring (who are reading this thread, of which i was one for a good chunk of last year) to be aware of these biases and to do their best to undo them, and that they might be wasting people's time with these semiarbitrary shibboleths

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 25, 2021

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

we're interviewing for a director of our team [I noped out of applying] and this guy we talked to yesterday, when asked the insanely normal question of what types of things would you do you do if senior management says they don't want to give our team the resources it needs? answered "I'd threaten to quit"

verbatim

why not be the director

you're going to end up doing half the new person's job anyway

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

all of my portfolio would be proprietary to the companies i have worked for, and is not public facing

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

i want to work less. ive been tooling around w some game stuff in my spare time and it's kinda nice to be doing some programing that's fun instead of frustrating. it would be cool to be able to support myself w some kind of dumb program

video games is the antithesis of “work less”

that part of tech eats up people every day

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

some people have ethics and sometimes those ethics are nihilism or "gotta get the gently caress out of my current situation or ill die and facebook is offering a job" and there's always nuance

but lmao at voluntarily going to work at facebook that and being like "it's SOCIETYs PROBLEM" (it is, you're making it worse)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

since we did not provide explicit accurate steps for each and every possible nuance and context on how to minimize the harm you do to the world while mocking fb, it's an idiot choice SO GO GET PAIDDDD

i made 7mil last year so i am also writing this to gatekeep people (for every possible bigoted reason) from my tech job

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ultravoices posted:

none of us escape the event horizon, but it’s way more comfortable circling the hole of capital with dental insurance and a nice apartment.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

jira has probably the worst data design ive ever seen in a real product

its this

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

their apis are p good but the second you start using any customizations it goes to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

one of my great professional victories was getting stuff like "passion" and "enjoys hard work" removed from all our tech job postings and getting people to ask more questions like "what kind of non computer hobbies do you have" has improved interviews immensely