Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

SpacePig posted:

Two minus three equals negative Fun!

The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Bill Posters posted:

Speaking as an Australian they are all liquefied fart water and there are dozens of better options these days.

Beer is for children, real people drink Bourbon

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Holy shiiiit
:vince: :dud:

Took me a second

Look Bart, Alf pogs! Remember Alf? He's back! In pog form!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Found the unfunny new simpsons meme

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Uncle Wemus posted:

i know exactly whats going to happen and i still laugh every goddamn time

The psychologist asking Abe for money to fund his skinner box project but instead it's a machine that shows you simpsons memes

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

:vince:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Too much quoting from twitter, not enough fresh content, so here. Hot off the presses of my computer.

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Doubtful Guest posted:

(and the Untitled Goose Photoshop thread is goldmined.)

THE WHAT NOW??

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

U-DO Burger posted:

lol you dredged up a post from well over a year ago to make a lazy autism joke

to be fair he's making it awfully easy to fulfill his namesake

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

umalt posted:

as it is very difficult to determine Homer Weight without Han Solo as a constant frame of reference. Whilst uncommon,

Who the hell is Han Solo?!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

:doink:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Neito posted:

I know talking about more recent seasons is verboten in threads like this, but either this year or last year there was a whole segment of a Treehouse of Horror that was basically "Homer engaging in autocanibalism is hilarious" that kinda squicked me out.

Like, the whole joke was just Homer cooking and eating parts of his body.

The one where he had a donut for a head really made me cringe from ick

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

SpazmasterX posted:

Remember when Treehouse of Horror was actually fun to watch and not just endless movie parodies

Remember when this thread had memes

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Code Jockey posted:

I love the old Treehouse episodes and loved them at the time because regular Simpsons was, more or less, buttoned down and realistic-ish - it was cool seeing the writers get to do weird, creative things with the world they built, not having to worry about canon.

The best one for me was the twilight zone one where Bart could warp reality.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Tom Gorman posted:

Goddamn, I never realized what this was a spoof of. The one where Bart turns Homer into a Jack in the Box with his mind?

It was always familiar but I never figured out why. I think I thought it was a parody of The Omen.

It's a good life

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Squalid posted:

I feel like the sliding continuity is part of the problem with later Simpsons. The Simpsons were created to be relatable in the context of the early nineties. However as society has shifted in the meantime, the setting has become increasingly divorced from everyday American life. Homer sustaining a two car single income suburban household working an industrial job with nothing but a high school diploma is an anachronism. For grandpa Simpson to make sense today he'd have to be a Vietnam veteran rather than a WWII veteran, and Principal Skinner in turn would have had to have fought in the Iraq War. However the cultural significance of these conflicts is radically different, and that has important implications for characterization. The result is the show has become unmoored from reality, as it's tethers stopped making sense the tone became increasingly cartoonish, and characters and events became unrelatable.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

a lot they wrote in the later seasons are all kind of the same

ftfy

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

When you rim someone for the first time

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

The word comes into English from Spanish orégano, which is from Latin orīganum, ultimately coming from Ancient Greek ὀρίγανον (oríganon).

So the American pronunciation more closely hews to the original word. But British English apparently doesn't like words with the first syllable unstressed, so in England you don't often hear people say garage like a la-di-da Mr French Man

That's not quite it though?

After hearing an Italian pronounce Orégano I think it's more about stress. Americans put the stress on the first e, so they say it like Ore(h)-gano whereas British English speakers put the stress on the a, so we say it like Ore-ga(h)-no. The e seems to have the same sound.

Something something voiced e, unvoiced a. I don't remember much phonology terms.

I would have said Americans put stress on the second syllable though. Like to me it sounds like Gar-a(h)ge with a softer g, versus the British Ga(h)r-age with a harder j sound at the end.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

I feel like I'm having a stroke

That's not to say that they aren't good

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

I don't get it? Can someone explain for my friend who also doesn't get it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
"I sleep in a lemon tree. Do you?"

https://sunbeam.city/users/interneteh/statuses/103211523664228414

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

I always thought it was "four-eyed lame-o"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Rarity posted:

I just rewatched Lisa's Substitute and the relationship between Lisa and Mr. Bergstrom is, er :yikes:

He was a little creepy. I haven't watched it recently but I think it came off as more him being a surrogate father than... eugh. But that could just be my memory failing me.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
You enter the living room when you want to live and the family room when... something something. I don't remember the joke I was going to make.

Anyway I did a Simpsons watch a year or two ago and got through season 1 to 7. I dropped out halfway season 7 because it just lost a lot of the magic and it was starting to feel very tired, I have no idea why. I think it was the point when they stopped having plots and started to have a series of scenes that were adjacent set ups for jokes, all loosely thread together.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

GoutPatrol posted:

so you could transition into coffee and talking before dessert

Ah, the ol' eat 'n coff

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

mind the walrus posted:

You can really see the progression of the Seasons like this:

4 -- Everything is firing on all cylinders and in as perfect a balance as you'll ever get
5 -- Things go bigger and wackier; Homer goes to space, Bart gets an Elephant, etc.
6 -- Still out there but they make a dedicated effort to scale back and keep character dynamics the focus, even if the plots are still pretty escalated and wild
7 -- Throwing whatever at the wall-- Grandpa Abe's WWII adventure, Troy McClure episode, Homer's Mother, George W. Bush, gently caress it we can make it work
8 -- Finally out of steam, train is coming to a halt, the first half is still great and there are classics sprinkled til Homer's Enemy, which is basically where the show dies
9+ -- Welcome to the afterlife

Yup. Homer goes to space was the last one I remember. The "How is the launch going" "All these machines are for TV ratings" gag had me falling out of my chair.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

sassassin posted:

They're scraping the bottom of the barrel raw.

A meme scraped my bottom! Now my bottom's big!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Fojar38 posted:

tired: arguing about when the simpsons went bad
wired: arguing about when the simpsons meme thread went bad

can we take our complaints about the simpson meme thread to the other thread which is specifically for complaints about the simpson meme thread

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
you missed the best one

https://twitter.com/Simpsonsmetal/status/1167520247097757697?s=19

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

That would be pretty ripe for horror tbh

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Took a moment to notice what you actually did, another to process what I was looking at, and then another to link to the reference. Then I literally loled.

I still don't get it :(

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

there's a lemon

Yeah I saw it but, the reference? his face isn't messed up

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Dewgy posted:

it didn't work with video tags tho

also it's 800kb

also how the gently caress do you get imgur to turn an mp4 into a gif, this site sucks

Just put ".gif" instead of ".gifv"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

:pusheen: