Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Real hurthling! posted:

maybe she dont need to be streaming in a state of duress

One of my favorite genres of video is “person who clearly took a couple minutes to set up their camera to record them crying about a personal tragedy.” Gotta do it for the engagement!

e: like this!

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Looking forward to T-1000 forcibly repossessing my organs

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

lmao how the gently caress did it get FDA approval.

“As you can see on this slide, we will cut a hole in the skull and then shove a bunch of wires inside”
“I can see a lot of problems with this idea”
“You won’t care”
“Fair enough! Approved”

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Musk painpigs immediately prostrate themselves before him, shouting, "please solder tiny chips into my brain Mr. Musk"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Antonymous posted:

I have a friend who's become a andrew tate/jordan peterson type 37 year old twice divorced guy. And he uses chatGPT to write almost every correspondance now including to women he wants to meet up with and I never understood the logic. This thing simulates a human writing aren't you a human? just write. isn't the fun of flirting that you're like connecting with someone with what you choose to say?

its the most alien thing in the world to me

like meeting up with a girl, handing over a vibrator and leaving the room, thinking you've scored

Mastering the AI so I can spool up as much passive income from generated work as possible so I can buy as many dildos and vibrators as possible for as many different sex workers as possible so I can go down in history as the guy who hosed more than anyone else

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Incidentally a goon just did this to their child

Pretty sure that goon is quoting a post from somewhere else online

e: oh wait, that goon was you!

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 03:17 on Jul 17, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

What response are you talking about because I am drawing a blank

"Looking into this"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

dr_rat posted:

I like all my media to be the most cost effective to produce. Deviant indulgences such as art and creative are wasteful and enjoying them is signs of a sick and worse inefficient mind. :colbert:

No one's saying they prefer it, just that they understand why it looks the way it does

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Well, there are community centers in some places. Sometimes they're self-organized leftist soup kitchen type places. Sometimes they aren't even entirely bogged down by endless bickering over stupid questions like "is salt vegan" and "is mayo bourgeoisie" and only occasionally end up with someone being driven out of the city because they used paprika which makes them a colonizer

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

composition and focus alone meant that photography was never an unbiased, complete snapshot of a moment in the first place. the posters complaining about this creating a fake reality already are putting too much faith in the truth of photos.

swapping faces is done by professionals and skilled amateurs already, and this AI feature is part of the process of deskilling them

this is a change in quantity, not of quality when it comes to the artifice of a photograph

The change in quantity is the issue. A sufficiently skilled editor can already basically do magic. Having any dipshit be able to fabricate whatever bullshit they want is going to make poo poo way worse

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

best part is, you don't even need to show more to finish the joke, the implied punchline is already there; he's pointlessly repeating what was already redundant

The only joke in that tweet is the username

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

i can't speak for the rest but worm deserves a few dozen content warnings if you do dive into it just so anyone who is considering it knows, poo poo's rough

Worm is great. It's basically "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" turned up to 11. It's Wildbow's first major work so it's kind of rough in a lot of places, character voices are all kind of similar, and it stretches real bad at some points where Wildbow didn't really know where to go next, but overall it's still good as hell and a pretty entertaining read. Dude knows how to tell a compelling story and Taylor is pretty much the perfect protagonist for the story he's trying to tell in that setting

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

It's at least got the decency to be discreet about the worst stuff. It's not particularly graphic about most of the darker subject matter, often leaving it up to heavy implication. Less so about the violence, which can get pretty loving brutal and creative

And hey, Worm underlines a really important moral I think we've all already known: lesbians can kill god

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

its just like an anime because worm also refused to admit that they're actually lesbians

Hey now, Wildbow was very upfront and open about Parian and Foil being lesbians, in love, in love with each other, and also willing to completely bend their moral compasses if it meant getting to stay together and continue being lesbians in love with each other. For all his flaws I'll give Wildbow a lot of credit for slathering open queer representation all over his works

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

This worm story is ok but dear god it needs an editor so badly

Hey you don't write 1.7 million words over 2 years without...uh...writing a few too many. It's funny, Worm is what made Wildbow popular but it's also arguably his weakest work. I liked it a lot because it goes to some wild places and it's pretty drat entertaining, but his later works hit some really mature and tender notes on subjects way bigger authors won't even touch. Worm is just really fun for getting to watch a bullied teenager slowly become the most dangerous woman on the planet in a way that feels completely natural despite her power just being control over nearby bugs

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

snow crash but instead of a mind virus it’s just memetic prions destroying all coherent information

Gonna write a story about how eidolons arrived on earth and hosed up all the information from before 2020 and feed it into every single AI 10^100 times so it just starts using it as a disclaimer for explaining why nothing makes sense anymore

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Some long while back I read a thoughtful article that coined the term "ghostmodernism" for describing the state of interactions online, i.e. when you're commenting on something someone posted online, you're not really communicating with them, you're just communicating with a trace of who they were at some point in the past - the real them is already gone. We're now moving to an even dumber and more disconnected form of the internet where we'll be interacting with mirages of things and people that weren't even real in the first place. I don't have a witty term for it or anything, it's just gonna suck poo poo

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I'm an accelerationist in the "once all the humans are dead maybe some other species can take a better shot at things" sense

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I grew up at a time where teabagging someone after killing them was just a thing people regularly did (online, not that that should need clarification) so it's really hard for me to feel strongly about it, but I suppose context changes things. Creeps should be banned from all online spaces anyway with no tolerance

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

In my defense I hadn't actually read the article when I posted and the events described in it sound super gross and yeah probably worth an actual criminal investigation

tokin opposition posted:

Also the phrase "surrounded by three to four male-sounding and male-representing avatars" squicks me out for some reason and I'm unsure why

Just hanging out with my bros, sexually harassing teenagers online in a novel way that demonstrates we're more pathetic than you could possibly even imagine

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Jan 8, 2024

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Stealing this idea and selling it to the Saudis, see you when I'm a billionaire and I can buy the site

Think bigger. Make a mormon bubbling overlay as well and hit both sides of that market

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

i used to build stages for concerts & stock warehouses, and now i touch computers in an office

i hate both, but i hate the sitting in an office chair less than i hate carrying heavy poo poo and getting up super early

Back when I worked construction we had a guy working with us who got into the field because he was tired of working at a desk doing computer toucher stuff and wanted to work with his hands. He seemed alright with the job but I got the impression that he was seriously rethinking his choices. He almost certainly took a solid pay cut to do a job that’s way more exhausting so I do hope he went back to his old job eventually

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Tempora Mutantur posted:

just loving work out

Yeah literally this. It’s incredibly easy to work a computer toucher job and spend an hour at the gym three times a week or so. It’s much harder to work a physical labor job and avoid the long term effects of that

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Pussy in BIOS: I don't know how you hosed up this bad

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

the Vision Shuffle constantly shifts your sight through countless viewpoints every few seconds, like Warioware. also, it locks onto your face so you can't remove it.

A cyberpunk story that kicks off with the protagonist playing around with an app that randomly switches what you see with a different user every 5 seconds and accidentally witnessing a gruesome murder that way would be pretty good

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Harik posted:

loving lg trash. jokes on me, I paid $250k for it.

Three Olives, is that you?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Gully Foyle posted:

$250k dryer aside, this usually means that the thermostat is borked, and its shutting off for safety due to misreading the temperature.

That's a good point. Hey OP you're cleaning the lint trap, right?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it hasn't ever been a pressing issue for me but you reminded me that none of the WMATA (DC metro) stations have public toilets and that is loving wild for a service that moves 400k people a day

like you're forcing them to poo poo in the cars

The MTA serves 3 mil+ daily riders and also has no public toilets. Or it might have some but they’re few, far in between, and usually barely visible. It’s really loving bizarre after having been to any cities with actually accessible public bathrooms

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Gonna name my kid Jort, singular

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Tulip posted:

Bringing this to my next DND session for NPCs.

Deploying Aiden and his slightly more hosed up looking twin, Aiden, along with their similar looking but entirely unrelated friend, Briaden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Spent the entire time waiting for her to press down on it so this exact thing wouldn’t happen. Blueballed again