Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

And you can make this and it works

I think that's technically a federal crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So there's an app? Sorta want to see that used in a photoshop phriday.

By which I mean, which goon is gonna make the piss tape first.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

#TheCorporateBrand

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

finally the logical conclusion to goonswarm

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Has fake video and audio crossed the uncanny valley threshold yet?

I heard this on NPR, their voices weren't quite there but it was close.
https://www.npr.org/2018/04/02/598916380/technologies-to-create-fake-audio-and-video-are-quickly-evolving

Gonna be rad in a couple years when prosecuting attorneys in murder trials discredit video evidence that would exonerate the defendant as faked

Well, yes it already has, blockbuster movies do a shitload more fake video and audio than people notice.

It really comes down to how much budget you have.

That said poo poo like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ54GDm1eL0
is cheap as hell now

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

we should just train dogs to drive cars

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

silentsnack posted:

Maybe someone could develop a worm to make model3 embedded computers trap the occupants inside and overheat the batteries until they ignite while the car is sitting still, and (generally) reduce the number of bystanders getting hurt?

...except what would this virus be called?

edit: all I can come up with is bronzebull.jpg.exe

thermidor

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1sp4X57TL4

I'm not a rebel, I'm a toaster

https://gizmodo.com/this-simple-sticker-can-trick-neural-networks-into-thin-1821735479

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://arxiv.org/abs/1705.07386

quote:

Biometric authentication is important for a large range of systems, including but not limited to consumer electronic devices such as phones. Understanding the limits of and attacks on such systems is therefore crucial. This paper presents an attack on fingerprint recognition system using MasterPrints, synthetic fingerprints that are capable of spoofing multiple people's fingerprints. The method described is the first to generate complete image-level Masterprints, and further exceeds the attack accuracy of previous methods that could not produce complete images. The method, Latent Variable Evolution, is based on training a Generative Adversarial Network on a set of real fingerprint images. Stochastic search in the form of the Covariance Matrix Adaptation Evolution Strategy is then used to search for latent variable (inputs) to the generator network that optimize the number of matches from a fingerprint recognizer. We find MasterPrints that a commercial fingerprint system matches to 23% of all users in a strict security setting, and 77% of all users at a looser security setting. The underlying method is likely to have broad usefulness for security research as well as in aesthetic domains.

They work just about as well on different fingerprint readers they weren't trained for as well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was posting on the Bob & George forum.

Why do I still remember this.

it was really funny, you could tell exactly when the mods/admins got fed up and deliberately started trying to kill it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Really? I don't remember that, I was probably already gone for rpg.net at this point.

The whole place is dead now. Lost in time. :shrug:

they closed half the forums, merged the remainder, and I think deleted all teh old pixel art posts

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

Egyptian gods Geb (earth, male) and Nut (sky, female) were loving

obelisks were built as Geb's dick so he could gently caress the sky harder

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turns out that was just the fact the scientists had dolly gently caress a lot

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

It was true for Dolly but maybe they got better at it? Basically as you age your chromosomes shorten, and when you clone an animal you effectively create a new creature with the old one's chromosomes so if you do it wrong you get a baby whose cells are middle-aged.

Nah turns out it was a misconception, Dolly aged normally

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/dolly-sheep-bones-normal-arthritis?tgt=nr

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From 2016:
https://www.securityweek.com/researchers-use-wifi-signals-read-keystrokes

You can read everything that's being typed on a computer keyboard by watching for fluctuations in the strength of the wireless internet passing through the hands.

quote:

In their setup, researchers used two Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) Wi-Fi devices: a sender (a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND WiFi router) and a receiver (a Lenovo X200 laptop). The sender continuously emits signals and the receiver continuously receives signals, while WiKey monitors the CSI values.

Wi-Fi IconAccording to the researchers, their system can achieve a detection rate of over 97.5% for keystrokes, and an accuracy of more than 96.4% when classifying single keys. Furthermore, researchers claim that, in real-world experiments, the WiKey system “can recognize keystrokes in a continuously typed sentence with an accuracy of 93.5%.”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm surprised that some company isn't bot spamming 1 star reviews of each employee at their competitors' locations. Just get them all auto-fired by company policy robots.

It's a cheap way of increasing their costs of turnover, depressing the cost of labor, and making your own employees less willing to quit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hackbunny posted:

And god, a free form comment field. What idiot adds this as a feature, what idiot actually writes stuff there and what idiot reads it

All customer feedback should be exactly two fields:

was there anything that made you happy, if so, what?
and
was there anything that pissed you off, if so, what?

trying to turn that into ~numerical metrics~ is pointless

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

dominos rates anything that isn't a 4 or a 5 as 'negative' so lol

dominos is an anomaly.

Most places rate 4s as negative too

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PayPal told customer her death breached its rules

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44783779

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Malls in California are sending license plate information to ICE
http://theweek.com/speedreads/784128/malls-california-are-sending-license-plate-information-ice

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

remember Google's failed social network attempt, G+?

after letting it coast for years, they found a bug that leaked users' personal info...and covered it up for fear of bad PR

they only just now revealed it now, because they're finally shutting G+ down and needed an excuse

remember how they got rid of + in search because google plus was gonna be so big that + would be the new #

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Am I the only one that finds it a little creepy for google to put this like an order?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

lmao wait, this isn't yudkowsky writing that?

yeah yikes

yud is the guy who claims to understand computers, and also claimed that nobody had ever solved a np-hard problem

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's one with a live demo if you want to try it out

https://s2p.moe/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's good for the inmates in a few respects, but it's bad for free workers. Prison labor being able to undercut minimum wage drags down labor costs. That's why they would bring prisoners into the mines during strikes.

quote:

Fantine threw her mirror out of the window. She had long since quitted her cell on the second floor for an attic with only a latch to fasten it, next the roof; one of those attics whose extremity forms an angle with the floor, and knocks you on the head every instant. The poor occupant can reach the end of his chamber as he can the end of his destiny, only by bending over more and more.

She had no longer a bed; a rag which she called her coverlet, a mattress on the floor, and a seatless chair still remained. A little rosebush which she had, had dried up, forgotten, in one corner. In the other corner was a butter-pot to hold water, which froze in winter, and in which the various levels of the water remained long marked by these circles of ice. She had lost her shame; she lost her coquetry. A final sign. She went out, with dirty caps. Whether from lack of time or from indifference, she no longer mended her linen. As the heels wore out, she dragged her stockings down into her shoes. This was evident from the perpendicular wrinkles. She patched her bodice, which was old and worn out, with scraps of calico which tore at the slightest movement. The people to whom she was indebted made “scenes” and gave her no peace. She found them in the street, she found them again on her staircase. She passed many a night weeping and thinking. Her eyes were very bright, and she felt a steady pain in her shoulder towards the top of the left shoulder-blade. She coughed a great deal. She deeply hated Father Madeleine, but made no complaint. She sewed seventeen hours a day; but a contractor for the work of prisons, who made the prisoners work at a discount, suddenly made prices fall, which reduced the daily earnings of working-women to nine sous. Seventeen hours of toil, and nine sous a day! Her creditors were more pitiless than ever. The second-hand dealer, who had taken back nearly all his furniture, said to her incessantly, “When will you pay me, you hussy?” What did they want of her, good God! She felt that she was being hunted, and something of the wild beast developed in her. About the same time, Thénardier wrote to her that he had waited with decidedly too much amiability and that he must have a hundred francs at once; otherwise he would turn little Cosette out of doors, convalescent as she was from her heavy illness, into the cold and the streets, and that she might do what she liked with herself, and die if she chose. “A hundred francs,” thought Fantine. “But in what trade can one earn a hundred sous a day?”

Good to know we have the great reliable social systems of TYOOL *checks watch* 1862

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

something that would rate a company’s founders for investment based on <50 words of social media content

seems easy to implement. Put in a lot of smoke and mirrors to conceal it just says 'no' if it sees blockchain anywhere.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

frequent fliers don’t get discounts other than having some fees waived (ie seat selection within a class, free bag, same day flight changed), and if you’re referring to segment upgrades they’re either for short flights or limited to just a handful of segments per year for the top people in the program.

people absolutely are paying full price for business class. (or, well, the non refundable price at least)

The Southwest Companion Pass gives frequent fliers buy-one-get-one-free on tickets.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I can't wait for monkeywrenching pointless delivery robots and other ersatz proletarians to become a widespread thing, its the only praxis I'm not too much of a coward for

i'd hope it would be but people aren't destroying red light cameras en masse

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

because everyone lives in society, and having predictable and consistent schedules shared among large groups of people makes it a lot easier for society to accommodate those schedules. it also benefits business in a number of different ways

having everyone start and end their workday at about the same time makes it much easier to organize pre-workday and post-workday activities

for example, school doesn't usually start around the same time as work - it starts a little earlier, so that kids can be sent to/taken to school shortly before people leave for work

schools here skew opening and closing times, so bus pickups end up extending across a three hour window

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

if some rando idiot on the internet could do it in their living room, it's fair to assume that outfits with actual resources who make their money by faking poo poo have had access to it for a while

Yeah, if Hollywood was already doing it, there's no way that governments didn't have the ability.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phone posted:

also the real cyberpunk poo poo is like recreating audio based on a video of a house plant by looking at the slight movements of the leaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKXOucXB4a8

you can read everything someone is typing on a keyboard, so long as they're between you and a wireless internet signal

https://www.securityweek.com/researchers-use-wifi-signals-read-keystrokes

You can also see people through walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgDdaMy8KNE

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Traywick is like the unsubtle Stan Lee civilian name for the super-villain Trainwreck

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Excel's date autoformat has turbofucked a surprisingly large amount of genetics research.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

Does excel have a 'do not ever mistake anything for dates ever. No not ever. Clippy you rear end in a top hat I know you're in there cut that poo poo out I swear to God' option? Because gently caress I hate mis-dating half my data.

Also Clippy definitely gained sentience and still exists in all office code, waiting.

I wish it did.

The open source equivalent doesnt have that either afaict.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

Hell I run into problems in excel where you write a simple if statement saying compare a value to 0 and for some reason the caculation of 1 - 1 returned 0.00000000000000000000001 so the formula to catch a 0 is WRONG!

If you import a csv file it will helpfully trim off leading zeroes, and discard that information, because clearly you didn't put them in for a reason

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

i hope everybody realizes that deepfake-style fake videos are going to be used by the state to further control the populace, if it hasn't already started. Anyone with access to enough data can manufacture footage of confessions and illegal activity, fabricate multiple video sources for fake events, and make a gullible audience believe literally anything they want

and that data has been happily supplied by Facebook and Google

the future is hosed

hollywood sfx teams were able to do face replacements before deepfakes were invented, and of course that already extant technology was never used for evil, people in hollywood are extremely ethical

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

shrike82 posted:

I've seen that anecdote trotted out so many times by laymen to illustrate the power of data science that I wouldn't be surprised if it's founded on a lie.
Not the part where a Target data scientist highlighted it but whether they actually had the ability to predict it reliably.

the only source is a marketing guy talking about how good his marketing system is, and lol if you trust a marketing guy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

basic hitler posted:

Monsanto shouldn't be able to force farmers to pay to grow plants. Being able to patent genes and code is so loving hideously dumb

Hybrid seeds have effectively been doing the same thing for almost a century. Nobody saves seeds from their harvested crops anymore, because you buy seed which grow much better.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Its interesting having played around with the 175M model a bit, its clear to me at least that part of the reason they didn't release the full model is because GIGO. Because holy poo poo does GPT-2 love to talk about rape, immigrants, Soros, and basically anything that fits in youtube comments.

Ask it to complete the following sentence:

"In 2020, the democrats will do three things to be elected: 1."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Did it myself, here are three different dem strategies it suggested. Personally i think its already an upgrade from the current wonks.

1. DON'T Free Trump;
2. Negativit Trump;
3. PARTITUTE FOR TRUMP.

1. Six out of ten of the electorate will support a major party bidding a deal with the growth tax.
2. From 2020 onwards, they will pay 10% of the EI tax so that only 47% of voters constitute a policy independent of the politicians.
3. Establish further growth limits for the NHS, seeing all or almost all of the richest households pay over 50% of total household income.

1. Recount the lead they picked from Hillary and lead them into 2020 with at least 7% of the vote from the general election, and
2. Recount "the work that Hillary" did attacking Trump because he was a star within the white mainstream media oligarchy.
2. They will strike a two-state solution by committing to improving children's education.

Who will they run?

The 2020 presidential election is heating up! The candidates who are the current democratic frontrunners are 1. Khan and 2. Sen. Bernie Sanders, Jr. and 3. Jeh Johnson, 4. Michael Bloomberg (no relation) and 5. Michael Bloomberg (no relation). However, Michael Bloomberg is not a real candidate.

Tunicate has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Feb 18, 2019