Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

:hmmyes: now thats pigeonpunk

https://twitter.com/emollick/status/1388663945054011396?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:psylon:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Muscle Wizard posted:

please post more about your rad second life adventures. this is an unironic request.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Super Foul Egg posted:

When you look outside you actually mean you sit on the internet acting as a panoptic sponge absorbing all of the world's issues. I don't mean that, I mean just existing in one place, at one time, that you have chosen, and like, where the rest of it doesn't matter for a brief moment. It's like social games but the faces move correctly.

:nsa:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that's like saying you're a component of an AI because you work for a corporation

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I took a seminar on science technology and history and there was this long insufferable book we read about how everyone is a cyborg because cybernation has cyborgized our lives and it was totally incoherent, I still don't quite understand the use of "cyborg" in the context of STS but it seems to mean "any individual who has to interact with technology repeatedly as part of their daily life"

Today, I am a fountain pen.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

language is a tool and is baked into the human brain deep down in the lobes. ergo all humans are cyborgs. i will answer no questions and accept the nobel for this take

ask not what's baked in your lobes, but what your lobes are baking in.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the turtles are illusions, but illusions are real.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tulip posted:

as stalin said, bureaucracy is the price we pay for impartiality, and any functional bureaucracy is going to be a bunch of people who have to set aside their human feelings about cases to instead prioritize if the paperwork was filed correctly, living with faith that the rules & the process are more important than their own judgment. to have a bureaucracy that does not function in that way is to have a totally nonfunctional bureaucracy

stalin was wrong about that, and capitalism proves it every day, through towering city blocks of bank-men who have the ears of prime ministers; million-headed armies of nations and the love of your own mother. et cetera.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

thats right.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tulip posted:

yea 100%, i just like to reiterate that the form is more generic than corporations: the same zombifying, paper-clip-collecting feedback loops happen without the specifics of being a for-profit corporation, they just collect bouncy balls instead of paper clips

i wouldn't say it's generic. rather, the modern second-order cybernetic corporation is the product of the older, first-order cybernetic mode of organization.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Wisest Moron posted:

Could you clarify what you mean by first and second order?

suppose that 20th century bureaucracies and 21st century corporations are both a kind of autopilot. the 20th century bureaucracy is then a first-order autopilot: here, our automatic pilot must be joined to the ailerons with care, because if they are not joined right, any disturbance becomes self-perpetuating. for a plane, that manifests as accumulating roll and eventually crashing, while for a bureaucratic organization, it manifests as shirking, evading, weaseling, sandbagging, and eventually organizational failure. how shall I join the ailerons to combat this? carefully.

systems with second-order feedback, or second-order cybernetics, don't accumulate error like that. if we join the ailerons the wrong way, second-order autopilots adapt by a kind of embracing the instability, initially behaving as the first-order autopilot and increasing the disturbance. but where the error grows stably in the first-order autopilot, in the second-order autopilot, the accumulating error instead causes it to behave randomly--the more error, the more randomly--and the random behavior continues and must continue until the roll returns to zero. thus, how shall I join the ailerons? it doesn't matter. join them any which way you like; the mechanism will sort itself out.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

your post has made me irritated. why the gently caress would you pick ailerons.

lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

t'was the ghost of ross ashby guided my hand.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

my theory is that electronics manufacturers were pretty much making 0 money off of tv sales until hd was set as the new standard and prices dropped enough for everyone with a tv to eventually upgrade. the companies then based all future income off the 2-3 years where just about everyone bought a new tv and have been trying to recapture that, the end goal being tvs having a smartphone-like product cycle, where something new comes out every couple years and everyone wants to upgrade. this doesn't work at all but they've tried with 3d tvs, curved displays, 4k/5k/6k etc but hd is "enough" for the majority of the market so tvs remain as just "appliances" and they gotta shove ads in there or go back to their old income model

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

more falafel please posted:

i've been around the Internet drat near 30 years now and honestly the best places to post are irrelevant forgotten dumpsters

roddy and keith going at it over the sunglasses that let you see the world as it is, zizek going off about ideology and trashcans; I'm in the background with akimbo style spoons and a poo poo eating grin.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i had a goonbeard until covid. now i have stubble under a mask

I miss my beard.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

freelop posted:

The basilisk is a great idea and we should all work hard at making it exist.

I'll make the wiki

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Azathoth posted:

There are apparently gradiations of this, where some people have zero monologue all the way up to a constant running commentary going on in the brain at all times.

I pretty much have zero internal monologue or conventional imagery unless I'm actively reading text or viewing images, instead I have weird ineffable shapes.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

that's completely wrong?

oh its shrike lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cybernetics is when you use computers and robots

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

multistability posted:

Cybernetic capitalism is just the stuff Nick Land and the CCRU were pumping out while tweaked out of their heads on speed in the 90s (not dunking on you Zodium - but have you ready any of their stuff? Shame Land became a nazi or w/e). Maybe it even goes back to Deleuze & Guattari or something idk

lmfao yes shrike, i have read land and deleuze and guattari. jesus christ. shut the gently caress up you perennial freshman.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

[Cyberpunk Dystopia] Rimworld is poo poo at simulating human psychology. Play Dwarf Fortress.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lol at how fast people got tired of deep synthesis output.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's because no one really knows, neural nets are black boxes almost by design. You could probably run into someone who could tell you about weights and tokenizers and attention heads and poo poo but to most people you just run code that feeds a training set into a Transformer model and it starts generating different output.

And obviously the people who make them keep everything very secret so they can charge for it so they can feel very interesting and important because the technology is simply too dangerous to fall into the hands of common people

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

damning with faint praise

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you'll be sorry when gravity crashes

gravity as a service

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

"‘My AI Is Sexually Harassing Me’: Replika Users Say the Chatbot Has Gotten Way Too Horny"
https://www.vice.com/en/article/z34d43/my-ai-is-sexually-harassing-me-replika-chatbot-nudes

"chatbots often learn from the ways all users treat them, too, so if people are bullying it, or attempting to gently caress it, that’s what it’ll output. "

people who anthropomorphize algorithms ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

once we've taken over europe fifty million times, we can automate it with ai

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tulip posted:

One of those cool moments in adulthood is realizing that very, very few people believe that their career field works as advertised, or indeed is even salvageable for anything other than a paycheck.

♫ everyone hates capitalism, but they don't know they hate capitalism, so they complain about individual problems like they're unconnected phenomena without an underlying cause ♫

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Azathoth posted:

and on the other side, i think about all my human doctors who told me to take walks to exercise when i literally couldn't stand for more than 10 minutes without debilitating pain, or the "more helpful" ones who asked me if i wanted some oxy so i could get some exercise

motherfuckers missed so much poo poo, despite clear signs showing up in tests (only learned that after the fact), and it literally took me showing up in the ER with a completely numb lower quarter of my body before one of them twigged on to the idea that maybe something else might be happening than me being an aging fatass. loving ai might have at least ordered those follow up tests at some point during the 5-6 years since poo poo started showing up.

what im saying is everyone loving sucks and so does ai

ai loving sucks because everyone loving sucks. :eng101:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

babe, new psyop to drive rubes insane just dropped.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lmfao

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Prove to me solipsism is wrong. :smug:

everything is real and true, including contradictions. therefore, it is necessarily true that solipsism is wrong.

trivialism ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cuttlefush posted:

the model breaking is pretty cyberpunk and also just the silliest poo poo

it's easily the best use for llms anyone has come up with so far

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tulip posted:

It's like making a sewage treatment plant where for every pound of poo water that goes in, 2 lbs of poo water come out. Like ok but why.

this is the best metaphor for data science I've read.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wuantum physicists are the worst 🖕

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

my theory is uninterpretable nonsense and that proves i've discovered the objective source code of reality. im a quantum physicist. gently caress off