Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

ZeusCannon posted:

I just kinda got hooked on watching some speedruns from the gdq youtube channel. Does amyome have any specific speedruns with good commentary theyd recommend? (Sorry if this thread is more for actually speedrunning and the wrong place to ask)

Magnetic North posted:

Bismuth and LowestPercent (a collection channel, not one person) and SummoningSalt probably don't need any introduction, but they are all good too. The algo has suggested Abyssoft but haven't watched them yet.

It was discovering SummoningSalt's videos more than anything that actually got me to appreciate Speedrunning as a pseudo-sport (I'd watched GDQ before it, but mainly just to watch games with cool commentary). I really can't recommend him highly enough; his videos aren't speedsruns per se but rather talk about the history, methods, and communities around them. As an introduction I highly recommend Super Mario Bros: The Human Limit about the quest to get SMB runs down to the minimum physically possible time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

UraniumAnchor posted:

https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1583991770098020352

First round games list is out. Freedom Planet 2 is part of the second round window because it got released in September, so lack of it showing up there is not indicative of anything.

Illbleed. :getin:

Speaking of Freedom Planet 2, I currently have the record for a very trick-heavy level. Not just character record, OVERALL record. Unless the SRC leaderboard is lying to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGrmKyw-Oyg&t=1s

I was kind of hoping for another ALTTP/Super Metroid randomizer since I only discovered that recently and saw the VODs, but I guess that's a really long run. The Metroid Dread race should be fun. TMNT Shredder's Revenge is probably the least surprising game ever since it had GDQ written all over it, but should also be fun.

Looks like it should be a good year.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Kikas posted:

So, AGDQ this weekend, huh? I've been on a binge of old runs, so it's about drat time.

I've been looking forward to this way too much. It's not like there isn't a constant stream of speedrun stuff I could be watching these days but the GDQ commentary is great, especially for games/runs I'm not familiar with.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

His gimmick is not nearly funny enough to justify posting it 2-3 times every page of the GDQ thread

I mean, I'm sure most of my posts weren't nearly as funny as I intended. Being funny isn't a requirement to post. No one's saying anyone should love Arf's posts, just that not being funny probably isn't worth reporting or getting mad about.

And it's not like he's spamming the thread. He's got 34 posts in a 26 page thread, with a fair number of them being actually topical posts that he just ends with the weird not going to watch joke.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

ArfJason posted:

I havent tried it and im not going to watch a video on its glitches. Goodbye.

I know we just had a big debate on these kind of posts and your gimmick, but honestly when you make a targeted post like that it really does come off as trying to be a troll and chase someone out of the thread. I don't mind the gimmick but maybe don't turn it into insults?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

MagusofStars posted:

The games list for SGDQ just dropped if anyone's interested, with the actual schedule being released about a week from now on the 11th. As a reminder, the event is about a month earlier than normal - rather than being somewhere late June/early July near 4th of July, it's now starting Memorial Day weekend running through first week of June.

https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/games-list

I noticed it seemed like it was earlier this year. There aren't that many runs I'm instantly excited for, but maybe that's a good thing; I scheduled a week off for AGDQ and found out speed runs actually get really boring if you spend all day watching them. Also often times the surprise standout runs are the real gems anyways.

Runs I'm immediately interested in:

Bugsnax: I haven't played it but I looked it up because I was curious why a kid's game had the psychological horror tag and it sounds great.
Mario Maker 2 Relay Race: Because the one last time was amazing (though not as good as the SMW one).
Pocky and Rocky: I love watching games I suck at played competently.
Super Metroid: Kind of curious to see a co-op run.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Huh, I'm just checking the schedule and it feels odd to have the Super Metroid finale run at 1 AM my time. It seems like that would limit save/kill the animal donations, but I guess maybe it works out to do it with different time zones. Or else it's just my age showing that I'm actually planning to be asleep at 1-2AM (or more realistically 3-4AM after delays pop up).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I found more runs than I thought I'm at least interested in checking out. Lots of games I've never heard of but look kind of interesting.

Ones I'm looking forward to:

Bugsnax - Because the bits I've seen look great.
PHOGS! - I have never heard of this game but the trailer looked adorable.
Hearthstone - I haven't played in forever but I watch streams sometimes, seeing it at GDQ should be fun.
Choo-Choo Charles: I wish this wasn't at 1AM, maybe I'll catch the VOD.
Pocky and Rocky Reshrined: I liked the SNES games, curious about the (I assume) remaster.
Pizza Tower: Never played or watched it, heard good things.
Final Fantasy IV Pixel Remaster: I played the original so much as a kid.
I Wanna Be the Guy Remastered: These runs are always fun.
Super Mario Bros: It's like the classic speedrun game, and it's not like it's going to take too long to watch.
Super Mario Maker Relay: These are always incredible. Most anticipated run for me.
Super Metroid Co-Op: I probably won't watch it live due to the time, but I'll catch the VOD.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I mean, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find it on Twitch, but it would be kind of handy if anywhere on their website was a link to the actual event.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

KennyMan666 posted:

So after almost a year since Kazuya took the Mario Kart 64 150cc All Cups WR and held on to it, Abney has reclaimed it with the first ever sub-23 minute run.

Summoning Salt did a whole video on it about a month ago, which is worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqlUbLasZ-M

It should be the goal of all speedrunners to make Summon Salt videos obsolete as soon as possible.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

emdash posted:

https://youtu.be/TBj_CkoK0Nc

Oats finally did it, and by a big margin

Good for him. I used to have his stream in the background most evenings but eventually there was a bit too much negativity for me. He certainly put in the effort to get the WR.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Hungry Squirrel posted:

There's also another ESA marathon right now.

ESA is the one that did the Harry Potter block and declared trans rights messages on donations wouldn't be read because they were too "political", right? It makes me wonder if running alongside Flame Fatales might not be coincidence.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Studio posted:

If they were trying to crush GDQ they'd put actual ESA over it lol. I don't know a lot about BSG, but it being a live venue event they likely tried to book something that:
Landed in Summer
Avoided ESA
Was not obscenely expensive

It's also a specific localized event seeing as the org that runs it is well, based around Benelux. It'd be weird to try and use that to conflict with GDQ, lmao. I don't even like how ESA is run (largely due to what happened with Punchy), and I think this is a dumb accusation

I think that the Fatales Marathons being smaller and only running during US Daytime hours mean that other groups, especially international ones, are going to schedule over it if the alternatives are too expensive/difficult.

And taking a quick look at Charts, this Fatales may be struggling, but I've heard almost no one talking about the event. Feels like there wasn't really any conversation, and I don't know if previous Fatales events got a lot of press.

To be clear, I didn't mean it as an accusation - I'm not expert in how either event is run. When I said "makes me wonder" I was being honest.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

(Eye opening info about ESA)

Just echoing that that was messed up and gently caress those guys. I was already giving ESA a pass for the Harry Potter thing and banning trans rights donation messages, but now I have another reason.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

glad that summoningsalt is just leaning into it at this point with these titles

I have to admit when I saw the title I wondered if this was his response to youtube delisting one of his videos because it had a speedrunner using a bad word.

Also I have to wonder if Jimmy regrets his handle now that he's having millions of people watch youtube documentaries on him.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 27, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

TeaJay posted:

I liked how TomatoAnus handled it by changing his name to TomatoAngus when he went to GDQ (the G is silent).

Of course you had the usual suspects frothing how GDQ sucks for making him change his name, but I believe he was perfectly fine with it, and it made for a funny joke too.

Watched the Ninja Gaiden 2 video too, it was fun, but I think I prefer OneShortEye's videos simply because you have the runners themselves commenting about the process. It's more like an interview than a statistics recap. I do understand that not everyone might not be interested in explaining their runs, though.

Some of SummoningSalt's videos do have interviews, though they tend to be a small portion.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

agdq 2024 game list is up

https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/games-list

gyromite: dog assistance%

I am looking forward to more Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers because the real reason I watch GDQ is a vain attempt to recapture the lost joy of my childhood. I have many fond memories of playing that game with my brother followed shortly by less fond memories of us shouting at each other over whose fault it was Dale got thrown into a bottomless pit.

I wonder if there's any chance Grand Poo World 2 gets replaced by 3 which is coming out November 10; looks like there might be time to get a feel for it before the late enrollment period.

Lots of races which are usually great fun, but I was a little disappointed not to see a SMW/Mario Maker hotseat team race. Those have really been standouts at the last two events. But maybe that's another possibility for the late signup period.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You want them to speedrun a kaizo hack, blind?

...I guess that's what the Mario Maker competitions have basically been, but still, that sounds like a risky play.

This is for AGDQ, so they'd have a few months to practice.

Though seeing a group of Mario speedrunners try to blind run GPW3 would be pretty awesome. Honestly I think that's a better way to experience the GPW games than a speedrun anyways, since the trolls and reactions are half the fun.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 22, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Hungry Squirrel posted:

The AGDQ schedule is posted. I'm hoping to take time off work to watch some blocks this year (or to recover if I watched an overnight run). Which runs look like they'd be worth using PTO for?

It looks like they updated this with the late submissions; I'm not sure exactly what's changed but I'm pretty sure Super Mario Wonder is new at least. I'm looking forward to seeing that one.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

MagusofStars posted:

I've never heard of this game but that sounds like a really interesting concept.

It does. Thanks for posting, my interest in watching that run just shot way up.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Not to be the guy that always finds something to complain about, but I kind of miss it listing what console/system the game was from.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Are people streaming attempts? Is there a good one to be watching?

The community coming together to 100% SMM1 is both silly and kind of heartwarming.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

According to Thabeast on his stream just now Ahoyoo contacted him and admitted the original clear of TTH was a TAS. Which doesn't mean the level is impossible, it's not (you could create a stitched completion from various attempts so far), but that it's extremely hard for an RTA.

Kind of an anticlimactic way for this to end if true, though I realize no one involved had anything like this in mind when it was uploaded 7 years ago.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 22, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

I feel like Kirbs would have had it within the next couple of days. He's getting super consistant at the second part, it's just getting there.

I wonder if somebody is going to beat it legit now.

Apparently one of the motivations to come forward with this was the bounty was getting seriously high, so I suspect people will keep trying.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

First round games list is out for SGDQ. Some highlights for me:

Peanut Butter is back! Ain't no rule says a dog can't play Ken Griffey Jr.'s Major League Baseball. Live and in person this time!
Kaizo Super Mario relay race. Those have consistently been some of the best events at GDQ for me. Also a Super Mario Maker troll level race.
I'm looking forward to Grand Poo World 3, It's a great romhack with some very fun moments.
Link to the Past all dungeons swordless, should add some new variety to one of my favorite games.
Super Mario 64 randomizer blindfolded. Apparently they play the randomizer through normally, brainstorm a blindfold route during the run, and then do it blindfolded. Sounds interesting, I tend to like any runs that require improvisation.
Super Metroid any% race. I guess it's clear I'm just all about the SNES runs, but also the races in general are usually fun.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 26, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

What are some people's "Top 5" speedruns in terms of the skill needed to pull it off and how entertaining it is to actually watch.

They're competitive, so just about any speedrun is going to be highly skillbased (as long as it isn't too RNG heavy). Fun to watch... honestly, in my experience speedruns are a lot more fun when you understand the tricks they're pulling off, so I'd pick a game you've played, and ideally watch a summoning salt video on it first so you know what you're seeing.

Or if you mean GDQ runs specifically, basically any of the Super Mario Relays are great.

Musical_Daredevil posted:

After 4(?) years of submitting Morrowind All Main Quests and getting rejected, I'm finally in!

Grats! I look forward to watching that one. Especially considering how... exploitable Morrowind can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Renegret posted:

That's a 2 hour video

the gently caress

It starts at the beginning, and Tetris speedruns have come incredibly far.