Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Remember that period of time when our society was smugly patting itself on the back and mocking the Catholic Church after that whole fiasco was uncovered? Like "oh man we totally weeded out that single isolated powerful organization that ignores and covers up child sex abuse!". How naive were we to think that this epidemic didn't likely infect pretty much every single large organization that has the power and opportunity to take advantage of children (or women, or any sort of at-risk portion of the population).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PT6A posted:

Why do Americans think this?

Most every other country in the world has a non-university-based player development system for some/all of their sports. They still have the occasional issue with pedophiles, unfortunately, but it's absurd to suggest that professional sports depends on the NCAA system.

I think the NCAA needs to burn to the ground, but I'm not convinced that the way other countries do it is any better or safer. In fact, many of those youth academies operate more similarly to USA Gymnastics than American collegiate sports.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

A few fall guys so that the institutions could carry on doing what they always do. Penny resigned in this scandal, but so what? How does that prevent any future abuse?

So if we burn down college athletics and leave opportunistic money hungry predators (like the assholes involved in youth leagues like AAU or the youth hockey leagues that have also been rife with sexual abuse) to pick up the pieces, how does THAT prevent future abuse?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Penn State whistleblower Mike McQueary is currently divorced, unemployed, and living with his parents.

Greg Schiano is the defensive coordinator for Ohio State, making $700,000/year.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

And that's the issue. It's the case of absolute power corrupting absolutely once again. What the institution does doesn't matter, we've seen it from sports to religion to business to whatever. What matters is that men are in a position of power and use it to abuse anyone who isn't them. And people who aren't actively affected don't speak up because they don't want anything bad to happen to them because the vast majority of people are cowards.

The answer is that men cannot be in positions of power over women. They will abuse their privilege every time without exception, even if it's not in sexually explicit or exploitative ways.

Keep in mind that Michigan State president Lou Anna Simon is a woman. Dismissing allegations and covering up abuse is not unique to men, even if the abusing itself mostly is.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Ok, how does that solve anything regarding the Penn State case.

.....or the Catholic Church, or youth hockey, or soccer in England, or.....

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If we remove colleges and universities from the sporting landscape, we also remove Title IX as a method of investigating and enforcing Federal law in cases of sexual abuse/assault. If there's just some random minor league football team in some small town in Oklahoma or something, you're basically leaving the investigating up to the local police. I don't think that fixes anything and very likely makes things worse.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

stone cold posted:

are we pretending now that schools are super great with title ix enforcement because uh

that’s darkly hilarious

No, nobody said that. That’s not even the point.

The failure of Title IX to be properly enforced should not lead us to eliminating those protections completely for thousands of young athletes by removing sports from colleges and universities.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Mattie Larson had a great impact statement today talking about how she purposely faked a fall in the shower just to get away from Nassar. She capped the whole thing off with “I can’t even put into words how much I loving hate you.”

https://deadspin.com/mattie-larson-to-larry-nassar-on-day-six-of-sentencing-1822348327

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

At what point did I ever express sympathy to Nassar?

I wouldn't sweat it, all 3 posts in this thread by that poster are terrible.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This was the article I was thinking of that explained all the different kinds of peripheral revenue colleges get from athletics, which aren't necessarily counted as "athletic revenue" :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2017/06/12/the-biggest-misconceptions-about-the-finances-of-college-sports/#5dbb808a366f

Athletic programs survive (in part) because they're cash cows for the college or university as a whole, often in indirect ways that aren't on the official books of the athletic department.

Athletics are a huge recruiter for colleges and universities. My alma mater has grown by leaps and bounds in the decade since I left, both in enrollment and on-campus infrastructure and I would attribute 90% of it to the success of the basketball team over the past 15 years.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 24, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah several years ago Dominique Moceanu pretty much came out and said the Karolyis were abusive. She just tweeted out a screenshot the other day of an email she got at the time from that one national team coach who just resigned this week, accusing her of betraying the sport that made her a star.

The balls on that guy. He’s one of the next ones up against the wall.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

The whole post was complaining about the sentence Nasser received. It was expressing empathy to a person who absolutely doesn't deserve it.

You’ve added absolutely nothing to this thread, have poor reading comprehension skills, and are so dumb or naive that your solution to all of this was “don’t allow men to have positions of power over women” completely ignoring that young boys are victims just as often.

Just gently caress off and quit making GBS threads up this thread.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

stone cold posted:

a cool and good comment to make to these white women

like i get the complicity of white women but you do realize that since some victims were white women, some of them were (white) women, right?

e: awkward phrasing

Jesus, you’re one of those “not all white people are racist!” folks aren’t you?

Like, we can be adults and talk about the complicity of white women in large cover ups and scandals without condemning all white women, especially the victims. Christ.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The only way I’d let up even a little bit on my opinion that she should rot in prison alongside Nassar is if she used her excellent fundraising skills (that the Board of Trustees can’t shut up about in the face of a massive sexual assault coverup scandal) to set up a fund for victims for ongoing therapy or, gently caress it, if they wanna buy a house in Maui for all I care.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

I watched that entire video.

She's 100% right in everything she said.

Not through any fault of her own, it still doesn't address the problems in USA Gymnastics or the worldwide problems of the sport.

The entire sport is based on exploiting young girls to (and beyond) their breaking points and I have no idea how to fix it. If you set an Olympic age minimum of 20 years old, you're still "farming" them out to years of horrific training so that when they reach that age, they're already like the 3-year-old horses that run the Triple Crown races: their entire lives have been spent to prepare them for a few weeks of life-altering competition which can lead to horrific results.

Everything about women's Olympic-level gymnastics has always seemed incredibly exploitative and creepy to me to the point that even when USA women win, I always wondered "what hells did they go through to get to that point?"

I guess we know now.

But hey, they sure boosted that medal count in the most televised events, so P&G and NBC made their money back.

Burn everything.

And, though gymnastics is probably the worst offender in this regard, it is far from the only sport that suffers from those problems. I can't have been the only one that has been waiting for the other shoe to drop in some other sport.

There was a story on HBO Real Sports last year about the business of youth sports and how entire towns are pumping money intro building huge complexes with dozens of fields/courts/playing surfaces where they host gigantic tournaments that parents pay thousands of dollars for their kids to play in. It just makes my skin crawl. There is more money and power in youth sports now than there ever has been, and with that comes the incentive to cover up anything that might cost you your money/power.

Found that full segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATwFkYpVys

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I nominate John Geddart, (now former) US Gymnastics coach, to be next up against the wall. I mentioned yesterday how Dominique Moceanu tweeted out a screen shot of his email, accusing her of stabbing gymnastics in the back after everything the sport did for her. Well now it seems that former gymnast and Larry Nassar victim Lindsey Lemke, who spoke out about John Geddart's physical and emotional abuse in addition to knowing about Nassar, was threatened by Geddart after her impact statement. Wow.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The front page of today's Detroit Free Press:

That GMC ad :ughh:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I mean Jesus, could we start with No adult should be alone with a child at any point, yes even doctors.

And in the case of doctors, there should always be two. Always at least one female.

And I know that's not gonna solve every problem ever but again, it should be rule #1.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

stone cold posted:

he abused some of the children with their parents in the room

like i get your second point but

he abused some of the children with their parents in the room

Yes, thank you, I know. It's why I made my second point. It's also why I made my third point. Larry Nassar perfected his abuse because he was allowed unfettered access to young female gymnasts for years. I highly doubt he would have ever gotten the confidence to do this with a parent in the room if he hadn't had those years of perfecting his abuse. Nor would he if there were always a female doctor in the room.

And again, let me reiterate my third point again:

I know that's not gonna solve every problem ever but again, it should be rule #1.

And beyond that, it should be enforced HEAVILY.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Well patient discomfort is a symptom of the larger issue here, isn't it? Teen girls' discomfort with their own bodies and the inability to talk about sexual matters is one of the very things Larry Nassar preyed on. Some of the girls who gave impact statement flatly stated that they were too embarrassed to talk to their parents about it and Nassar knew that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Cross posting

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
A DO is a Doctor of Osteopathy, which goes through all the same medical training as an MD and is recognized as a legitimate doctor in all 50 states and most countries around the world. It used to emphasize osteopathy (the manipulation of the muscles/skeleton to cure disease) but obviously that has fallen by the wayside in recent years. They do still get trained in osteopathic-type practices in addition to all of the regular training an MD goes through, but it isn't really emphasized much.

Long story short: DOs and MDs aren't that different anymore.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PT6A posted:

I don't disagree with what you're saying, I'm just trying to understand why the part I bolded above happens.

Out of sight, out of mind.

When a few dozen colleges and universities are in your face and on your TV constantly, why would you apply to Ohio Wesleyan instead of Ohio State? It's the power of branding. People pay more for Advil even though generic ibuprofen is the exact same thing. It's because those brands are on TV and in their forefront of their minds all the time. And, all things being equal, if I grew up a Auburn football fan and I can't decide between going to Auburn or going to some other school, the opportunity to attend Auburn football games for 4 years is a pretty good incentive that'll tip the scales in their favor.

I'm not advocating that people should actually use this logic when they're deciding where to receive their higher education, but I am saying that this is why it happens. Hell, my alma mater is a really good private university that I wouldn't have even considered if I wasn't exposed to them through their highly successful basketball team.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

:tif:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PT6A posted:

Okay, this is starting to make sense. It's not that people choose to go to a school with a highly-rated football or basketball program, but rather that there are so many universities in the US that it's an important way of advertising one's name.

Beyond that, to a huge portion of potential students, it's the only way to advertise one's name.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Something something AMATEURISM

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

stone cold posted:

i would like to highlight this for every single goddamn idiot who came in here and whined about demolishing college sports

burn it all down friends

I think you’d find that college sports fans would probably be first in line to burn down NCAA headquarters.

And I’m not even talking big time football and basketball fans, as the NCAA regularly fucks over the smaller sports and athletes in the smaller sports.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Holy gently caress.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PT6A posted:

It seems like this program needs to be utterly liquidated, and probably never allowed to reform. The sheer depth and breadth of heinous behaviour and coverups is such that the permanent annihilation of the program, whatever bad consequences it might have, is absolutely for the best.

I find this line of thinking useless. Not because I give a poo poo whether MSU Athletics is wiped off the face of the earth or not, but because it takes our focus away from the people that did this and puts the onus on the institution.

There are a very specific group of people that are responsible for everything that has gone on. They need to be investigated and charged and brought to justice. There needs to be no mercy.

But the Michigan State Athletic Department didn’t do anything. The people who make it up did. They deserve the blame. They deserve the consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

The counter to that would be that institutions as a structure enable people to cover things up this way.

The rape culture on US college campuses is hardly unique to MSU or MSU Athletics. Are you advocating that we eliminate all colleges and universities?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)