Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DariusLikewise posted:

unless someone advises me otherwise i will assume you can’t get covid from blowjobs

just wear a dental dam, you’ll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

enki42 posted:

You're only in the terminal stages of this if you talk about London or Paris outside of an obviously Ontarian context and expect people will know you're talking about the Ontario ones.

my SO likes to play "Ontario town or D&D monster?"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arivia posted:

The problem is, sometimes they’re the exact same. Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms (the biggest D&D setting) lives in Lindsay, and his work is often Ontarian as gently caress.

There’s a town named Kossuth after some Hungarian politician as an example. In the Forgotten Realms, Kossuth is the god of fire. Knowing that Ed (and most creatives) take good names from wherever they find them, I suspect he picked it out of a road map.

oh my god you totally just blew our minds

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lot of classist language lately, disappointing.

does anyone have any data on how bad first nations have or have not been hosed over by covid? i know some around here are closing ranks.

unsurprisingly this is not something i see getting coverage in either direction in mainstream canadian press

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

priznat posted:

Anyone who eats in at a restaurant nowadays is just plain weird. I would feel wayyyy too uncomfortable to do that.

I get it to go and consume it in solitude, shamefully.

i don't like to bother with takeout, i prefer to eat in place when there isn't a pandemic, so we haven't really eaten something i haven't cooked since march. but yeah, like i don't get how people are so comfortable eating in a restaurant these days. i'm not bothering until i get a vaccine tbqh.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rutibex posted:

merry christmas. if they did that to me I'd flee into the woods, already got bag packed. i'm not going to corona jail

lol you’re not gonna go to jail for that. certainly not anytime soon at least

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

you have to really not pay them though, they go to great pains to set up repayment plans, even ones that barely even touch the usurious interest they charge on the balance

exactly, i’m not saying you can avoid it forever but you are definitely not going to jail anytime soon over this even in an absolute worst case scenario

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

The hospital outbreak really hosed over London, it's definitely going to red, probably a shut down

yuuuuuup.

especially since so far the media is reporting that yesterday's high case count was unrelated to the hospital outbreak

hilariously, though:

there was a massive lineup for bath and body works' candle sale at the mall over the weekend:

today it was announced that a staff member at the store tested positive

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

I don't care who thinks this is a bad take, if you line up in the middle of a pandemic for scented loving candles you deserve to get sick.

Unfortunately these people are going to get other people sick and that's not cool.

honestly who lines up for a candle sale when there isn't a pandemic? i know, i'm probably an outlier but i loving despise literally every single bath and body works product i've ever had the misfortune to come across. i find them literally nauseating.

like buy some goddamned potpourri and then cheap candles that you won't be afraid to burn because they were expensive. jfc.

honestly why are people even going to malls right now?????

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arivia posted:

my sister hired a private shopper to go into disney world for her and buy things the stores were out of up here

people really, really loving buy into capitalist consumption as an identity

????????????????

is your sister interested in adopting a grown-assed man? she clearly has money she doesn't need. i'm amazing in the kitchen

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arivia posted:

she already has one and I have no idea what she sees in him because he can't hold a conversation about literally anything

lol that's the worst. i'm super lucky in that i like almost all of my inlaws. except my brother in law is pretty chuddy but i don't have to talk to him so whatever

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it’ll never happen but it would be wild to see tory mismanagement of the pandemic lead to multiple provinces turning orange in the next few years

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it would be something, but people's memories would have to be longer than a week

for real

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

still gonna dream about an orange wave and unofficial provincial alliance

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it’s such garbage. we have here someone legitimately trying to contribute to society and because she didn’t make enough money, she doesn’t deserve help.

loving appalling.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tbh losing $4-500 a month out of now where could be pretty devastating. either way not my place to say that she wasn’t building a business fast enough. i do wonder if we’d be so quick to call it a vanity business if it wasn’t a woman baking cakes.

i’d argue though that they didn’t do a good enough job detailing restrictions like that. the article itself intimates that it was pretty unclear.

canada can afford it. it’s a waste of time and goodwill to go after poo poo like this in the current hellscape when you could recoup all of it with a couple fewer business grants.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yes actually. anyone who wasn’t working should have been able to get cerb with no take backs. i don’t care frankly what their normal salary was.

also grossing $5k from a small cake business ain’t nothing, that’s quite a bit of work. how do we know what her net income was? we don’t. i think you guys are being pretty dismissive of building a business because one person already had a salary so they were “just fine”.

just because not enough people got benefits doesn’t mean this person who you guys have decided is just running a vanity business for funsies (would a male freelance developer in the same case who said he was setting out to build his own agency have been accused of running a vanity business if his wife had a job? i legit don’t think so) doesn’t mean that this isn’t also problematic.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I would rather have ten thousand people collect CERB that they don't need than risk a single person in this country be denied the CERB that they do need.

100%

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

prom candy posted:

prefacing this by saying I think everyone should have gotten CERB and i'm opposed to means testing, but yes someone running a software development agency that only cleared $5k in income is the exact same as someone running a cake business that only cleared $5k. going after this woman for $18.5k when a bunch of giant corporations have bilked the government out of millions of dollars is typical liberal bullshit, but it's still a vanity business.

at what point is a vanity business a real business? what if they make 15k the next year by building on the prior year's success? do you think you just instantly become successful and rich when you start out?

who the gently caress cares, calling it a vanity business was 100% because it was a woman baking cakes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jettisonedstuff posted:

yeah or maybe they picked this particular couple in particular because they knew rubes like you would eat it up. just keep deluding yourself into thinking that this lady and her husband getting to keep the 18 grand they don't need means poor people are better off somehow.

:rolleyes: yes i’m such a rube because i want to err on the side of giving people more money instead of enjoying the means tested misogyny in the thread

Virtual Russian posted:

lol, no, if you made less than $1000 you could get topped up to $1000. There was a literal second tier of CERB so incredible disadvantaged minimum wage workers couldn't get a taste of a better life. It was designed to keep all those poor people working, otherwise society would have collapsed.

so infuriating, this sucks. i’m sorry.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well it correctly isolates toronna from the rest of the country

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah, except for that link to sarnia it's pretty ideal, really.

swont is uniformly terrible and it all deserves each other

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FormaldehydeSon posted:

I honestly have no hope that he will even lose the next election after seeing how popular he was last year

me neither although as of the beginning of the month his approval rating had dropped from 69% in may to 55%

what extent that would trickle down to local voting i couldn't guess

also by the time there's an election everyone will be vaccinated and the province will be open and they'll just point to number number going up imo

more curious in my mind is whether horwath will oversee a gain or loss of seats, i have to assume the latter but would love to be surprised

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I can't imagine drinking water from Superior or any of them tbh. Didn't Lake Erie literally catch fire at least once?

It is interesting how the watersheds overlap, there isn't much the US could do to divert water from Canada, in fact they're actually doing the opposite with stuff like the unapproved Garrison Diversion

our (treated) water comes from huron and it's great

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pokeyman posted:

it seems to me that public health departments have some levers they're slow or reluctant to use, which is a bit damning. I remember chatter last week about some local health regions (in ontario I think?) closing school systems without waiting for a provincial order to do the same. if those health regions had that power the whole time, why did they wait until the last minute?

like yes, one response to government refusal to close e.g. in-person retail is to stretch somewhere else, like delaying a second vaccine dose. another response might be to cite every retail store in the region individually for unsanitary conditions and shut them down directly. might take some creative administration of existing laws, or maybe a court will slap you down six months from now, and yes your premier will be mad at you, but you're doing everything in your power to keep your people alive and well

yes, the MOHs have been really reluctant to take advantage of their available powers. in ontario at least they are substantial and the MOH can basically unilaterally decide to enforce mask mandates or close businesses, etc., enforced by the police and courts, and backed with fines and potential jail time for noncompliance under provincial legislation. this is why the schools in peel were closed down - the MOH decided it was the right move based on a spike in cases. i can't speak to the other provinces. our local MOH has been anti mask and mildly refusing to do anything besides snark on twitter, and it's been really frustrating.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

enki42 posted:

I think you can probably lay the "doesn't want to be the one to make tough decisions" on pretty much every level of government and authority during the pandemic, from local school boards and PHUs up to the federal government (even Trudeau had a lot more power than he was willing to use with the Emergencies act).

Early on a lot of the cities were being proactive with masks (Ontario itself didn't have a mask mandate until super late in the pandemic, but virtually every city / county had mandated by that point anyway, so it was more of a way of simplifying what already existed than a new rule), but now I think no one wants to take responsibility for anything.

yeah i agree

Duck Rodgers posted:

Yeah this is a good point. They clearly have some leeway and it would be interesting to know how much they could do without provincial government support. I assume the government would have retaliated in some way if Peel or some other region decided not to open schools at all in September.

in ontario at least, these fall under section 22 of the province's health promotion and protection act. it's pretty powerful.

within their purview they can basically close anything and make anyone do anything in the context of stopping a pandemic spread

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

Right, but how willing are they to use these powers without the support of provincial and municipal elected officials?

Because it's clear that the conditions in (2) are the case in most health units in Ontario, but it doesn't seem to be the case that health units are implementing measures without the support of elected governments. Ottawa was asking a few weeks ago to be moved in to a higher restriction zone, but this makes it sound like they could have just done it themselves. There is probably an issue of 'legitimacy', where unelected officials don't feel like they have the authority/ aren't seen to have the authority by others to make these sorts of decisions in contravention of decisions made by elected officials. But maybe they should be doing that, and its an indictment of them that they aren't.

depends on the moh. we were just discussing peel closing schools, and there are other uses; just google ontario section 22 orders. it's not as widespread as it could be. anyway not sure about your point because i was explicitly responding to this:

Duck Rodgers posted:

interesting to know how much they could do without provincial government support

this is how much they can do without any provincial support. whether they want to use it is a different question.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

mayors and city councils are essentially useless when it comes to restrictions, anything they do would be instantly overridden by provincial assemblies

not necessarily, london for example put in a mask mandate early on

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Isizzlehorn posted:

until you said this I thought it was a Jamaican reference, that makes a lot more sense

It's not the treated water that kills you, it's the ancient piping leaching lead and other fun poo poo between the water plant and your tap.

that is unlikely to happen without a switch to a more acidic water source which won’t happen because lakes. of course lake acidification is also a concern but not for this so much as for you know life.

in re olympics it’s my understanding they were indeed made in partnership with hbc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bjay9 posted:

Not sure if we have any other London goons in here but Western University has now had 8 Covid outbreaks in residences over the last month and the area code which houses the university and a lot of its off campus housing put out a positive test rate of just under 30%.

Turns out letting students come back was the wrong choice, who knew.

the mpp tried to get old north deemed a hot spot but lol he’s ndp so ford isn’t going to listen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

not that he’ll get anything more than a paid stay at home vacation over it but he was suspended for that lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

a vaccine that does gently caress all against the now-prevalent variants

nonsense

it's still 62% effective against b117. that is actually great in terms of the wider vaccine world and would be a very successful flu season, for comparison.

there does appear to be substantially reduced efficacy vs the south african variant, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Another Bill posted:

They're still highly effective at preventing death and serious illness!

yup! which is the most important part. all we have to do is get through this, which we will (though not as unscathed as we should, obviously), and i expect we'll see substantial effort toward a pancorona vaccine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don't know if it's intentional, like a lot of privilege it can be hard to see until people have hit you over the head enough times with it before you realize.

anyway i'd also point out that many times, security aside, paying on a mortgage can be noticeably cheaper than rent in an area.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cash crab posted:

Pointing out privilege can seem like an attack when the recipient already feels unstable or insecure in some aspect, and this is no exception. I hate it put it this way, but when white people are told they are privileged they often react in the same way: if I have white privilege, why am I still poor? It doesn’t mean your life doesn’t suck in some material way it’s just that you do have an upper hand in that particular arena. That’s it. It’s not attack in your person, you just have an upper hand whether you meant to or not.

that was absolutely what was running through my head when i wrote that earlier post

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chillyrabbit posted:

The idea that BIPOC isn't a great fit makes sense (Canadian problems need Canadian solutions)

yeah it's not like black and indigenous folks experience greater disparities in canada or anything, hey

quote:

As part of her research, Davis studied the impact on violence in youth communities in Toronto and Jamaica. The most profound finding, she said, was how strongly Black youth in Toronto pushed back against the idea that the greatest violence they had faced in their communities was physical violence.

“They insisted that the most sustained, daily violence was the violence of the education system. It was teachers who did not believe in them, who stereotyped them, who over-disciplined and over-punished them, who constructed possibilities for them that were different from the possibilities for other children.”

edit: no doubt that last chart probably looks a little different thanks to the horrible rise in anti-asian hatred, but i bet the trends hold

mediaphage has issued a correction as of 00:04 on May 31, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

to be honest i don't think his points, such as they are, will do anything except foment division and become a chud talking point against the woke people using terms like bipoc. i think there are arguments to be made about taking care of indigenous people, obviously, because the country as a whole clearly isn't. is coming out against bipoc to put the francos in First Racism Place over indigenous really doing anything to help matters? gently caress no

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

Jeez, i wonder why indigenous people suffer the least from hate crimes, even less than white people, according to the police. i guess they don't count it when they do it, and the indigenous people don't report the hate crimes they suffer to the police for some reason.

yeah, that's obviously bullshit, i've just seen more than a few comments about how black people don't see racism in canada. this comes up as a point that locals here make all the time. that was the only reason i posted the charts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Beginning of May: "Hey gen X'ers take the AZ shot it's your moral imperative even though it's inferior to the over vaccines were handing out to people based solely on them being slightly older than you. You're a fool if you don't and deserve to be mocked and shamed."

End of May: "Hey gen X'ers the vaccine you took was so poo poo tier compared to the other ones we aren't even going to make sure you get a proper second dose just go take one of the other ones even though mixing vaccines apparently makes you feel so lovely you're supposed to plan time off for recovery. Also gently caress you for being upset about this."

lol oh come on

az is not really a poo poo vaccine. it is perhaps by some metrics less amazing a vaccine than the mrna options, say, but it’s actually ok and it’s rollout undoubtedly saved lives despite the risk of vitt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Don Pigeon posted:

hmm I dunno, could it be one of Canada's official languages?

All I'm getting from this conversation is that if you are not the singular most oppressed group in existence, you should just shut your mouth.

I`m laughing at the posters telling French Canadians that they're "just like us anglos, we swear!!" in the same paragraph that they call them "discount Frenchmen" who speak a "moon language".

yeah i mean i don’t entirely agree with some of the sentiments regarding oppression as it stands today but making GBS threads on the french-speaking québécois in a thread discussing historical oppression of said groups and its effects today absolutely does not do those posts or posters any favours.

anyway i like seeing the french because i find it educational as it’s different than the french i learned