Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

R. Guyovich posted:

i have no idea why there is a group of people who so vehemently defend bad posting in the other thread but am willing to read someone's explanation of it. the whole thread culture seems very weird and has been flying under the radar for a while due to Canada

Canada doesn't have a culture. We are *ahem multicultural which means accepting other cultures even when they are weird and even when they're racist chinese people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Also accepting those who want to join the Middle Class

But only if they Work Hard.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lawman 0 posted:

When is the next election

June

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Vote Brown

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

I live in a town in Canada where the Keg is literally the only fine dining restaurant, help

My town's highest rated restaurant on Yelp is a fry truck. Would way rather eat there than the keg.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Their ketchup is off the hook too

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Isizzlehorn posted:

Aged so fast, made Trump surrogates jealous.

Sorry for jinxing you Patrick

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is this a thing in ontario

Because it seems there's this weird bunch of reactionaries with a hate on for windmills

Windmills in Ontario are like a steak at the keg. It's fine, does a perfectly mediocre job at what it's supposed to do but then you see the bill and think "we're PAYING WHAT for that??" and want to puke.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Misogynice Job! posted:

Hey I live in massachusetts and i'm dating someone who lives in new brunswick, am i loving stupid?

Assuming their last name is Irving, you're all set.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Posting pictures of literally hitler is actually illegal now according to c-16, please report to WLU for reeducation

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

He's actually worse than Hitler and so are you, for buying his book.

It was like $1.50 a commandment, that is good value.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Make June really fun

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/327/282/749/

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

Don't hold out on us post some excerpts

Are you just trying to get me sued?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

So he's using Nietzschean psychology to spice what would otherwise be a rather bland serving of unobjectionable self help 101 stuff? Surely there's something more explosive in there?

If I had to guess the tldr from the little bit I read, it's to stop worrying about changing/what's wrong in the world and work on yourself. And if everybody does that, it'll change the world. I can see the appeal to his audience, a university going cisheteronormative white male can go from being buried under a mountain of privileged guilt to permission to focus on themselves as a means towards social justice.

More random pages, we have anecdotes featuring Natives, Chris and self-loathing masculinity too. High school Ikantski can kind of identify with Chris, masculinity was confusing even back then.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

we could be 192/193 on some UN ranking and as long as america was 193rd we would see it as a huge accomplishment

That'd be the "Who is least like the Americans" index.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Nice to see the CBC finally doing something productive, helping Peterson sell more books

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1147971651734

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Having been scrutineer in a federal byelection last year I can say paper ballots are easy to manage and hard to mess with for fraudulent purposes. My candidate lost but we're confident nobody hacked or interfered with the ballots.

Compare with the uncertainty of electronic systems and reports of shenanigans...

I don't trust those electronic systems one bit. Seriously, just look how close Hillary got to winning

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Slotducks posted:

Whoa easy there, Canada Post.

Canada Post rules for rurals, I tip my guy with maple syrup and he always delivers my packages right to the door and leaves them if I'm not home. Suburbs with the community boxes, that's a nightmare I've heard.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

CLAM DOWN posted:

what if i'm too fat

The legs are to walk to your pickup truck to drive to the mailbox which I understand is SOP

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

angerbeet posted:

this happens so much more than people admit

usually it's riding lawnmowers tho

I read that as lawn tractor

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
He's the greatest conservative we've ever had

https://youtube.com/watch?v=s7IchhU-o-A

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

This is probably the lamest (and laziest) kind of political criticism imaginable but I feel like at this rate Trudeau Jr. is barely going to be remembered in 20 years. The sheer vacuity and banality of his government up to this point is remarkable.

Maybe there will be a defining economic crash or national crisis of some kind that puts him in the history books but I think at the moment we're on track for him to oversee the most banal placeholder government imaginable.

If Trudeau cracked his head in the shower or had a brain aneurysm tomorrow what would be the most memorable thing about his time in office?

The conversation turned to Trump bashing at a business lunch the other day and like clockwork, oooh remember when Trudeau won the handshake with Trump, that was so amazing, [re-enactment with details]. Everybody seems to remember that.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Hand Knit posted:

Hope Brown and Ford split the insane shithead vote.

Ranked ballot I believe

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
What question prompted this answer??

https://twitter.com/Bmac0507/status/967145190736609280

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

This is an interesting way to describe an article from 2015 about an american’s book.

Yeah, I was really hoping to open an article with a big picture of Notley flipping the bird.

I am learning that Andrew Coyne does not like looking at things through a gendered lens and oh poo poo I'm doing the virtue signalling for the Liberals I swear to god they do this on purpose. "Equal pay for work of equal value" is the perfect innocent phrase guaranteed to annoy a large set of people and get repeated all over the place.

quote:

To be fair, encouraging more women to enter and stay in the labour force, as a number of measures in the budget propose to do, is not only about equality but growth: it is one way in which to offset the increasing numbers of retirees leaving the workforce. The same cannot be said for institutionalizing — for all future governments, this budget claims — the mix of ideological cant and bureaucratic busywork known as “gender-based analysis,” still less the fantastic anti-economics of “equal pay for work of equal value.”

There will be further opportunities to address this: the legislation is to be introduced this fall. For now it is worth noting that this is not about “equal pay for equal work” — that is, for the same jobs. This is about equalizing pay for different jobs — wholly different occupational categories, in fact — where one is thought to be “undervalued.” Or rather, where it is both “undervalued” and female-dominated, relative to a (presumably “overvalued”) male-dominated category.

Whether their work is in fact “undervalued” in some philosophical sense is an interesting question. Alas, it is how it is, in fact, valued by the people who might be willing to pay them. Theory and evidence both suggest the primary determinant of wages is supply and demand, not the pseudo-objective calculations of “skill, effort, responsibility and working conditions.” That won’t change just because the government fiddles about with pay scales.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew-coyne-the-liberals-deliver-a-federal-budget-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-budgeting-or-the-economy

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

hahahahaha donald "trade wars are good and easy to win" trump everybody

oh my god, just when I thought I couldn't like the guy anymore, he goes and gives me a discount on US etfs right after putting cash in RRSP.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

imagine being so incredibly lame and lacking in any sort of personality that your sense of identity forms around a bearded man who tells you not to masturbate so much

Take that Catholics, Muslims and Proud Boys

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Speaky of greasy drug dealers

quote:

High-profile pot activist Marc Emery says that if Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Doug Ford is ready to privatize the province’s soon-to-be-legal recreational pot market, he’ll line up behind him and try to help the PCs win the upcoming Ontario election.

“I would love to give him money. I would run as a candidate. I would support him, endorse him, all those things – if he abandoned the idea of government retail shops,” he told iPolitics.

“To me, that’s the offensive step in the door that can’t be undone. The idea of government directly marketing to people after putting all their competition in jail, arresting them. It’s just too repugnant for me to ever accept.”

Emery said the degree of support would depend on how free market the plan is, he said, but Ford is so far “talking the right politics.”

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/03/14/prince-of-pot-prepared-to-support-ford-if-he-privatizes-pot-in-ontario/

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Reince Penis posted:

I'm skeptical of any legislation that expands reverse onus conditions. It directly contradicts the idea of innocent until proven guilty, a cornerstone of our and most western legal systems.

I like that these lawyers can at least admit that stacking the jury by skin color is a thing. The Boushie trial probably would have found the same thing regardless of skin color of jurists. But that white guy trial is changing it so that the minorities who are on trial more often are getting getting to use that obscene race based jury selection technique less often which will actually make the system better. Good job Libs.

quote:

Defence lawyers are sounding the alarm about sweeping changes to the criminal justice system unveiled Thursday by the Liberal government, warning the proposals will further stack the deck against those accused of a crime while doing little to promote a more equitable justice system.

Bill C-75, introduced Thursday by Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould, will remove sections of the Criminal Code that allow for peremptory challenges — which allow lawyers to remove a potential juror without giving reasons — in an effort to reform jury selection so the panels are "more representative of the Canadian population."

Some defence lawyers tell CBC News they actually use these challenges to make juries more diverse — by challenging some would-be white jurors — to ensure a fairer trial for visible minority clients.

The government is arguing the reverse, saying that ending peremptory challenges will prevent Crown attorneys and defence lawyers alike from barring minority candidates from juries.

Some believe that's what happened in the Colten Boushie trial — that Indigenous jurors were weeded out to better the odds of a not-guilty verdict for Gerald Stanley, the white farmer accused of Boushie's murder. Stanley was found not guilty of second-degree murder in the death of 22-year-old Indigenous man.

"This one case is going to strip away peremptory challenges, and it's only because of the [Boushie] backlash, which should tell you how crassly political this whole bill is," Solomon Friedman, a prominent Ottawa-based defence lawyer, said in an interview with CBC News.

"The fact that this bill was pushed out in the afternoon before a long weekend, when Parliament is going to rise for two weeks, tells you how ashamed the government really is of this bill."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-justice-reforms-jury-selection-1.4600007

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Virtual Russian posted:

I'd like to point out that Doug Fords buck-a-beer promise is basically Mr. Burns plan to swindle the power plant union. Free beer in exchange for their dental plan.

Implying that voters are dumber than Homer Simpson.

If kathleen wynne hadn't made my hydro bill three hundred and fifty beers a month we wouldn't be in this situation

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Virtual Russian posted:

Also Wynne is bad, but like... Ford is better?

The voters are never wrong

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

It's not going to get better anytime soon. The last time I had a buck a beer was in the mid 2000s, and they were served in child sized glasses which was a loss leader even then. But praise tax relief for people making $45-85k, 0-30 bucks a pay cheque will really fix my books alongside $1 per 10 litres of gas you purchase.

You should try living next to Quebec.

quote:

Even Costco, the king of low prices, no longer sells beer at the minimum price like it used to. This 28-pack of Coors Light, for example, details $ 28.99, which is $ 1.02 more than the minimum price of $ 27.98. However, for larger quantities of 48 and 60 containers, Costco still sells at (almost) minimum price.

I think that disgusting poo poo is $2.15 a can at lcbo. You can get 12 bottles of goose island ipa for $20 in quebec, it's $28 at the beer store.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dinosaurtrain posted:

I was at Vancouver international and there was a guy wearing a NEVER FORGET USMC HOOOAH t-shirt and rudely let the door close on him rather than hold it open for his old rear end

Now you're finally a real canadian.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dinosaurtrain posted:

hmm if only there were some kind of political ideology that describes the distribution of resources from those who are most fortunate and lucky to those who are less so. oh well I guess they have no choice and should keep voting for the bcliberals

The old reverse lottery

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Way more likely to fall off their equine investments.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Choking on the bone of your fried chicken waffle

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

no the right-wing narrative is that he was too competent at firing a gun at civilians to be mentally ill and therefore he is a trained isis terrorist

the real narrative should be thank god he had easy access to a handgun, the suicide by truck guys do way more damage. no way a real isis guy would use a handgun instead of a uhaul. unless isis is trying to get handguns banned so future mentally ill incels have to go the truck route.

Postess with the Mostest has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Jul 25, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

It's called "Ford derangement syndrome". Expect to see that phrase a lot in the next four years.

Dougs gonna Doug :shrug:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dreylad posted:

Doug Ford intends to break the media

https://twitter.com/OntarioNewsNow/status/1024055108039000065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arivia posted:

They're still doing this poo poo? Jesus Christ.

The funny/tragic/ironic angle is that McGuinty made it illegal and then Wynne took away the AG's power to police partisan advertising with government money in 2015.

Anyhow, expect to see another one soon about how the federal government admits Doug is optimizing competitiveness of Ontario businesses

quote:

The federal government will drastically reduce the scope of its planned carbon tax to address competitiveness concerns as it prepares to replace Ontario’s cap-and-trade system with its own levy.

After a closed-door meeting with industry officials last week, Environment and Climate Change Canada issued new guidelines that lower the percentage of emissions on which large polluters will have to pay the carbon tax and offer bigger breaks for energy-intensive companies that face tough international competition. The guidelines will be imposed on every province that doesn’t meet the federal standard for carbon pricing.

Companies will try to pass along any costs of the carbon tax to consumers, but industry leaders say they may have to absorb it in competitive markets. The reduced tax means businesses will have fewer costs to pass along, face less competitive pressure and likely produce higher emissions.

Ottawa issued draft regulations in January indicating companies would have to pay the carbon tax on roughly 30 per cent of their emissions, with a benchmark set at 70 per cent of their industry’s average emissions performance. The new rules to start in January will lower that requirement to pay tax on 20 per cent of emissions, and some particularly vulnerable industries – including cement and steel making – will pay tax on roughly 10 per cent of their greenhouse gas emissions.

https://outline.com/Hq5wN9