Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Reince Penis posted:

drat look at those two big red splotches in 2015 and think about all the lovely politicians that come from there. No wonder Etobicoke votes Ford they're getting wrecked

They're also getting wrecked because they keep voting Ford. Like, yeah, no poo poo you don't have any public infrastructure, y'all prioritized low taxes for the century where you were your own municipality, and for the two decades since you've been part of Toronto you keep electing the most useless fuckwits on council.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Well, now it's the fault of downtown, with their density, and tax base, that they have things and Etobicoke doesn't.

We're keeping it all for ourselves, having built it over 40 years before they became part of the city.

But god help us if we suggest maybe property taxes should go up so that we can afford to build more elsewhere.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

So, do you know what the Transit City plan was? Do you know who killed it his first day in office?

And to Helsing, the existence of Rob Ford is because the people most affected by his regressive bullshit aren't voting. The deceased Robert Ford's nephew, whose last name was not originally Ford, was elected ward councilor by something like 17% of the entire population of the ward, with over 70% of the vote IIRC.

His highest profile rival was Andray Domise, who received approximately a rounding error of votes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

So yeah, transit improvements tend to be focused in areas that a) don't actively oppose them, and b) advocate for them in their neighbourhoods.

loving crazy, right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Look I'm not saying it's rational or good, I'm saying it's comprehensible. People who are poorly served by transit don't tend to use transit, and thus don't see expanding transit as a good thing and are much more willing to vote for people who cancel transit projects even when those projects would have extended service towards them. You can argue all day about which came first, the poor service or the anti-transit attitudes, but they tend to go together.

War On The Car sells because there are legitimately a ton of people in the Toronto outskirts who never use transit and drive their cars every day and don't want to pay for other people's transit even if the transit gets extended to their neighborhoods, because they habitually use their cars and thus don't see the benefit of transit.

Incidentally, Rob Ford was also popular because he actually bothered to pretend he gave a poo poo about people in poor areas by doing things like returning their phone calls. When you don't tend to interact with city services because you're very poorly served by them because the city doesn't care about you (because you're poor, for example), even small things like pretending to give a poo poo when you get a call from a constituent can make a big difference considering how poor a grasp of policy most people have and how little they actually understand how Ford or any other politician's policy proposals would help or hurt them.

Oh, word. Yeah, engagement is definitely an issue for northern Etobicoke and Scarborough.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The election that Rob Ford won had a pretty dramatic increase in voter turnout over previous years.

http://www.cbc.ca/1.884395

I think it's more that people tend to vote against their interests than not voting at all in his particular case. I'm not sure how those numbers broke out though.

Rob Ford won two elections in Ward 2, his brother won one, and his nephew won one, I've posted the stats in Canpol and the Toronto LAN before. The engagement has been low each time and their vote margin never much under 70%.

tl; dr: The voters of Ward 2 would vote for a ficus with "Ford" sharpied on the side of the pot. Attempts to engage others have failed thus far.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Jan 27, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

By contrast, for the two elections in Toronto in which I've been eligible to vote, I lived in Parkdale. Both times we've elected Gord Perks, someone who in my opinion is an effective member of council who advocates our interests and has helped improve services in the neighbourhood.

South Parkdale was also a neighbourhood of low income people and new immigrants.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

He's actually worse than Hitler and so are you, for buying his book.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Some discount fuckin' commandments if you ask me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The ByWay of self help.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. oh if only

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

So he's using Nietzschean psychology to spice what would otherwise be a rather bland serving of unobjectionable self help 101 stuff? Surely there's something more explosive in there?

He fantasizes about assaulting a toddler, does that count?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wait, who is "P"? Doesn't P==NP?

We've got NP, GM, and TS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

A bad computer joke

As if there were good ones

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the proper plane for the canadian forces is whatever is the cheapest thing that technically allows us to fulfill our treaty obligations. they exist so that we can send a token squad of flying bricks to cheerlead in whatever hornet's nest the yankees are currently loving

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:canada: SeaKing :canada:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

... The last of Irving's privateers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm so sorry

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Didn't they change the slogan to North Over All or did that get rolled back when someone realized how that reads?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Not in CF, they can't afford boots.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

That’s totally different because it’s impossible to interfere with a paper ballot sent by post.

Does scale factor into this at all? I mean rather than coercion, fraudulent ballots. Or even something as simple as denial of service taking the vote servers offline.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Obviously absentee voting is a thing, so sure, if everyone absentee voted it would be equivalent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

My dude, have you heard of blockchain?

Like what if we could vote from home, but it was painfully slow, massively wasteful, and absolutely trivial to de-anonymize?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ocrumsprug posted:

If you cannot walk across the street and spend 5 minutes voting I am pretty OK with you not.

I'm assuming this extends to whatever percentage of Canadians live in suburban and rural areas.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Too soon to say "Sea King" because lol this poo poo's been broken for a decade at least right?

Well sorta, this time it's our rickety old cf-18s that are so old and worn that we're cannibalizing what we have to keep the others in the air, and there's only like two that can fly at any given time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nah, got a DWI, gonna take the tractor over

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I read that as lawn tractor

Yeah, it's that. I see that poo poo constantly going up HWY7

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

It's the army that crafted the homophobic environment, I'm not responsible for harassing that gay kid by yelling slurs at him until he killed himself

see also: sexually harassing/assaulting female service members

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i just felt this needed a home in can-spam

ChairMaster posted:

Every Conservative you refuse to do something about is one that's gonna get some gay teenager thrown out of their home, eventually addicted to drugs, or killed. You become culpable for that when you allow your distaste for any particular tactic to prevent you from stopping these people from doing what they do.

Modern Conservatism is a cancer that people like you refuse to fight, hiding behind excuses of decorum and good taste. The right will always win because of people like you, they're not afraid to get dirty, they're not afraid to hurt and destroy people. You can drag the left to it's pathetic exhausted death with your dignified inaction, but don't expect me or anyone else to commend you for it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

"peoplekind"? not "humankind", the word that actual humans use?

it's a word that people use

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Are you too dense to get a very obvious joke or are you stuck in sperg mode because d&d?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dying while in office

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/michaeldunbarjr/status/959993329688698880
url parser is hosed

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Feb 5, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Racism, Canadian style

WaffleLove posted:

The politics of working with FN employee's is a lot of hassle for no reason at times(I understand why it got like that it just a pain in the rear end)...
I did a stint as a security guard at a water dam that was made recently in NOntario. The poo poo they would get away with was amazing, the stories I heard while up there from the other guards, even if it was for a few weeks only. Seriously broke into camp one Christmas and STOLE all the god-drat TV's and some other electronics on camera... Got away with it as was a FN project or some poo poo.
I'll never personally work near, or on a reserve further north of me again, just for those very reasons of how unreliable they can be, to straight up drunk/meth high on the job(though a lot of the employees did that poo poo non-fn as well)..

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stickarts posted:

Try to have a real dialogue and :sigh:

It's really deeply ingrained though, to the point that I'd bet WaffleLove doesn't even consider that post racist.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Reince Penis posted:

I worked on a couple of reserves in my youth and the level of poverty is staggering. I mean like shanty town level poverty.

I don't think anyone doubts that. Just like I don't think anyone is suggesting there are no crimes committed by people who belong to FN communities.

The difference is how it's framed, see the "they" that crops up, and the acknowledgement that actually plenty of people show up to work hosed up, but here we're just focusing on the FN people, because the point of the anecdote is how messed up "they" are.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Like, we'll cluck our tongues at Americans for unabashed anti-black racism, but using exactly the same terminology, say "well that's just describing how it is" when talking about FN/aboriginals here in Canada.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lowly abject turd posted:

tbh he's not wrong, but is actually just describing what working up north is like regardless of race

Sure, except he specifically calls out First Nations people, before acknowledging that actually pretty much everybody is doing that poo poo. Because the post was about how bad it is to work with natives, not how bad it is to work in the north.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Allow me to demonstrate

cougar cub posted:

Have either of you ever been involved in working with large numbers of black employees from urban communities?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You'd think it would go without saying that a century and a half of abortive attempts at genocide and extreme marginalization will have some negative societal effects, but welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stickarts posted:

cougar cub, I get your frustration. My brother is a small homebuilder. I have worked off and on with him from day one doing everything from framing and finishing work, to site and trades management, to pushing a broom. I understand the investment you have in making your business succeed and the way your energies tunnel vision into it.

But your frustration towards the situation you are expressing here is butting up against literal centuries of colonial violence. It's not that you're wrong, per se, it is that your treatment and/or understanding of the issue is incomplete/lacking in critical context. At least in the way you're presenting it.

Is half this conversation happening via PMs or am I missing a bunch of posts here?