Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Schlesische posted:

If you're Aston Martin it probably doesn't make sense to burn even more money on races only die hards will ever watch.
I absolutely don't understand why Corvette doesn't do IMSA.

If you meant “why doesn’t Corvette do WEC@ the answer is very simple. It can sell every Corvette it can build here in the US and doesn’t care about marketing it abroad enough to justify the cost of a WEC effort. Whereas it very much cares about an IMSA program because that does sell more Corvettes here.

Re: Mazda, I spent a long time chatting to their people this week. They are convinced the Cadillacs are going to dominate this weekend and will be happy if they finish first among the non-Cadillac DPis.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I had to turn down an invite to go this year, which made me sad but at the same time I’ve been traveling every week this month and am away next week too. That one will be of interest, I’m going to Charlotte to take a look at the technology behind NASCAR.

A piece on the Rolex 24 might be delayed because we’re having people over all day on Sunday so I don’t know when I’m going to watch the end of the race. :(

Also working on lining up a feature about the Mazda DPi; trying to see if they’ll let me drive the simulator in Canada...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cygni posted:

They are all purpose built silhouette racecars on a BOP budget, and only 1 of them is new this year. If they aren’t equal, it’s a BOP problem.

The Ford program upped the bar in GTLM for sure, and it’s design was far more progressive than the rest of the field was ready for (plus they played the sandbag game perfectly at launch), but the 488, new 911, and M8 are all playing the same game now. None of them really have anything to do with the street version.

The 488 GTE isn’t quite that divorced from the road car.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
No, they wouldn’t. There’s a great feature in this month’s Racecar Engineering about Formula E aerodynamics. The cars are actually very low drag.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Basticle posted:

I'm surprised this hasnt been brought up. so Toyota's WEC team asked that the date for Fuji be moved a week so that it wouldnt clash with the US F1 race so Alonso could do Fuji. WEC said yes but now Fuji and Petite Le Mans are the same loving weekend. What a bunch of idiots.

Not only that, but the new date clashes with a Super GT race, which screws over two of Toyota’s own drivers! (Kaz and Kamui will have to miss the SuperGT race just so Alonso can make it to Fuji.)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
GTE works like this. The ACO (and more recently the FIA) wrote the technical regulations: https://www.fia.com/fia-wec-2018-technical-regulations-grand-touring-cars-lmgte-homologated-2016

If you are a manufacturer, you read those technical regs and adapt one of your road car products to meet the spec. Then you get your car homologated to make sure it meets those specs, and you race it.* Cars that are built to the current year’s specs have to be run by factory teams (in WEC). Year-old spec cars can be run by pro-am teams.

GT3 works differently. AFAIK there’s no technical regulation as such, and you’re allowed things like traction control and ABS because the idea is to sell cars to private teams. All GT3 cars performance balanced against each other - there will be a reference lap time that SRO or the FIA wants cars to stick to, and if yours is too fast you get pegged back and if it’s too slow you can make it go faster until it’s within the range. There’s no real incentive to come up with anything particularly clever engineering-wise compared to GTE.

Some GTE and GT3 cars are very similar - the Ferrari 488 race car for example is pretty easily changed from one spec to the other. There’s some info here: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/08/up-close-and-personal-with-scuderia-corsas-ferrari-488-gt3-race-car/

*Actually there’s still balance of performance in GTE, which complicates things.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

harperdc posted:

Well, except for things like the Mercedes AMG-GT3s getting a qualifying ECU mode at the Spa 24hrs a couple years ago...leading to all of the pro Mercs getting penalties after qualifying. (GT3 is apparently strict about ECU software homologation, which makes perfect sense in many ways).

Right. What I meant to add but forgot to was the way GT3 has turned into a manufacturer playground when it was always supposed to be a privateer thing. So now a GT3 or GTD budget is more than running in LMP2.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
There is a feature in this month’s Racecar Engineering about the Mazda, details some of the reasons why last year’s car was so terrible. Sounds like a moron laid out the radiators and cooling systems and Joest had to unfuck a lot of that, plus the rear suspension.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Basing my statement on iracing that have just introduced the 919 and R18. It is very evident that a huge amount of the car's speed depends on the usage of the electrical system and with them running unrestricted the only limit is how much they can generate during the lap. Maybe they increased the capacity as well so they can run a few laps and save a bunch and use it all during the fast lap?
In iracing since the amount you can use is capped, just using it in the wrong places will have you lose several seconds during a lap. Now image they can use a lot out of every corner and I can see them doing crazy lap times.
They also have crazy high gearing due to the fuel limits where top gear was only used to save fuel. So if they lowered the gearing all around I can see them gaining some time as well.

Same engine and hybrid system, but Porsche isn’t limited to WEC’s fuel flow restriction or energy deployment limits. So the engine now puts out 720hp (compared to about 500 with the race fuel flow limit) and the MGU-K at the front can now deploy 440hp instead of 400.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04/faster-than-an-f1-car-porsche-is-breaking-records-with-the-919-hybrid/

I don’t think they changed gear ratios.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

loving poo poo. I'm hearing that the wec app will be geoblocked in the us and Canada. I hope that doesn't extend to the full streaming and replay service.

As far as I can tell it absolutely does and I am really pissed off about it. What an utterly stupid thing for them to do when even F1 has finally realized you need to offer global streaming.

Between the loss of factory teams and this, plus the stupid superseason, WEC reminds me a lot of the ALMS circa 2011-2012.

How long before Creventic or SRO buys it out?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Looks like DSC was wrong: https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/986947820463755264

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Now WEC has deleted that tweet.

Curiouser and curiouser...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Schlesische posted:

F1 absolutely hasn't realised that, there are gigantic holes in F1's streaming service that correspond with what Fox+Friends would be calling nations of interest.

Liberty absolutely realizes it, but it's handcuffed by the contracts Bernie signed. As it's able to unwind them, it is. The main reason NBC Sports didn't renew for 2018 was Liberty's insistence that it could offer its own streaming here in the US. The UK contract with Sky doesn't expire for another few years; once it does (assuming Liberty hasn't killed F1 in the meantime) F1 TV Pro will roll out there.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Schlesische posted:

I'll believe they're into global streaming after the next round of rights negotiations.
If Fox offers you more than you know you're gonna get in subs for Australia (which is a distinct possibility), you're gonna take that even if it means a lost opportunity to grow your brand here; I mean, hell, F1 has to sell the rights to the AusGP to a free-to-air network here so Fox already has an in by offering to give an FTA network the Aus GP at a super cut rate while giving Fox the remaining races.

Liberty gave ESPN the rights in the US for free. That's how much it wants to launch its streaming service.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
But DAAAAAAAAAADDD you promised me a championship!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
As much poo poo as everyone gives ESPN—and I got several emails about the fact they didn’t show quali this weekend—I’m actually loving it. The Apple TV app has had all the sessions live (and replays) and the fact they don’t interrupt the races with as breaks has really boosted my enjoyment of the season. Plus I don’t have to listen to Leigh Diffey’s relentless boosterism.

It’s odd, I really don’t mind NBC’s IndyCar coverage (including Diffey); maybe it’s because the alternative was terrible ABC/ESPN coverage? Yet for F1 it was horrid compared to Channel 4 or Sky.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Schlesische posted:

I think VAG is going to stay in F-E long term, F-E+F1 is still cheaper than two full LMP1 programs.
I do genuinely believe they want to prestige of being in F1.

Where do you get that impression from (about entering F1)? F1 tried courting them pretty hard for the last decade to no effect. VAG goes racing to improve its road cars and to market road car technology. Between dieselgate and Audi and Porsche winning almost every Le Mans since 2000, there’s no more appetite for an LMP1 program. Formula E is at worst 20% the cost of P1, and maybe only 5% (if they’re only spending $10 million) and has a green halo, I think they’re going to be there for a while.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Every time I asked Dr Ullrich or Chris Reinke about it, they told me they’d been in discussion with the FIA about F1 but it was just that, they were never at the point of it being serious enough to commit.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I’d be careful writing Mazda off at this point. Mid-Ohio was a very strong race for them. Of course I might be biased because Mazda has OK’d the idea of me having a go in their DPi sim next month for a feature.

Looks like I’ll be at Belle Isle with Honda as well, to do a separate piece on the new Acura.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

BoP should go away, and would if the P2 cars were split off.

No, it wouldn’t. IMSA would still want to make sure the OEMs had a chance and would peg back one make if it had too much of an advantage.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
If anyone has questions for Roger Penske or Art St Cyr about the DPi program, post them in this thread and I’ll see about asking them at Belle Isle in a couple of weeks.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

Just started reading this: https://www.amazon.ca/Go-Like-Hell-Ferrari-Battle-ebook/dp/B003K16PBY/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0

First part of the book is about the 1955 Le Mans disaster and just lmao Mike Hawthrown was the biggest piece of poo poo

He was, but he had a hosed up end too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Basticle posted:

Is the 919 showcar doing any laps here this week?

That would be more than a little tasteless. “Hey guys, sorry we took our ball and went home, leaving only one factory P1 team, but do you mind if we showboat a bit before the race we’re not racing in?”

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Basticle posted:

How is that any different from the world tour theyr'e doing? Its not like they could do a run at Le Sarthe any other week of the year.

They’re not showing up at other WEC events, so I have no idea what you’re talking about.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Plus the last thing they want is someone going around the track in 3:05 or god forbid a sub-three minute lap. They tried to cap laptimes to 3:30 not so long ago, although that worked badly :D

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

WindyMan posted:

As we know (or don't, probably) Le Mans will be live on the Velocity network in the U.S. this year. Turns out that later this year, the network will get rebranded to the Motor Trend Network. When I found this out I hopped over to the Motor Trend On Demand website and discovered something quite nice:

Live 24/7 24/1 in-car streaming, baby! Might be a good time to sign up for the free trial.

Also, it seems as if Velocity/Motor Trend Network is aiming to be Speedvision 2.0. Before Motor Trend tookover the streaming website, Torque.tv at the time, they specifically stated this was their aim.

So if you're wondering why Velocity has the rights to Le Mans, this is why.

Have they finally added WEC replays to the site? Because they hadn’t last time I looked. :(

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

How the gently caress do I watch this in North America without cable? I paid for the WEC stream last year and synced it up with Radio Le Mans but now they won't even let me do that?

WEC stream and a VPN is going to be my route.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

K I switched back to the WEC audio after RLM weren't talking about two consecutive offs. They're not as bad as I remember.

e: welp never mind that was like listening to Ars comments

LOL :D

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I hope they got awful numbers so I can just buy a commercial free stream again

This 1000%

They don’t even care enough to put WEC replays on their site, unlike ELMS, AsLMS, that rubbish from the land of capsicums, and everyone’s favorite racing series, Ferrari Challenge.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

iospace posted:

The sports car equivalent of FOM, more or less. They run Le Mans and WEC.

FOM and the ACO are not analogous. FOM is (was) Formula One Management, which is the company that controlled the commercial rights. The ACO is the sanctioning body, it stands for Automobile Club of the West (of France). The correct analogue for F1 is the FIA.

And aaaaaactually, WEC is run by the FIA; the technical regulations are a joint thing between the ACO and FIA.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Schlesische posted:

The ACO doesn't have a direct relation in F1.
FOM doesn't fit because it doesn't have the sheer clout that the ACO has. It's not like the ACdM could pull the poo poo the ACO does and get away with it. The ACO has a bunch of input into the rules because the only race worth racing at in WEC is the 24 Heures du Mans and the ACO gets to choose what rules the entrants must follow.

Ironically, it's a lot like the Toyota situation.
Le Mans needed Toyota for this superseason so the WEC (FIA+ACO) didn't just enforce the rules they would have needed to implement to bring the Hybrids back into the LMP1 pack, rather choosing to follow their agreement with Toyota featuring a "unilateral change deadline" which gave Toyota all the leverage.
The last time the FIA unilaterally enforced rules on Le Mans it killed WSC.

The FIA is the perfect analogue for the ACO. As in F1, there is a separate organization that manages the commercial rights and logistics (can’t remember what it’s called for the WEC). The ACO sets the calendar, writes the rules, and officiates. Just like in F1 that’s all done by the FIA.

FOM didn’t issue F1’s technical rules, that was the FIA.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Anyone know why he took the high line through the Carousel?

Fun fact: the line through there was meant to be up top, and the bottom bit is meant for drainage. But people soon found it could be quicker—assuming sufficient suspension travel, something the 919 lacks—to take the lower line.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

They removed 2L of fuel for WGI, and the Caddy now holds 13L less fuel while weighing 25kg more. My bad, I was posting in a hurry and used the wrong term.

That's horseshit. In a top class you don't get punished for building the better car, and pushed forcibly down to a level of a car that can't compete. Every single DPi driver is bitching about how bad the cars are to drive this year with how nerfed they are.

Make Prototype Great Again goddammit

I have never spoken to a race car driver who didn’t think their car could use more power. Hell, I got to spend a few hours in the Mazda DPi sim last week and even I thought it needed more power.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cygni posted:

Which is why its working, honestly. It's champagne taste for PBR costs, and thats what the manufacturers are willing to spend. If anything, i think we see MORE cost controls moving forward, not less.

Speaking of that, Hyundai is the latest builder looking at DPi, which would be only their 2nd big-leagues motorsports entry in the companies history. Stallings also mentions that there is ANOTHER factory sniffing around, which could be those never ending Mercedes rumors.

https://racer.com/2018/07/03/jdc-miller-stallings-pondering-potential-hyundai-dpi-program/

Right. I have used my soapbox to shout about how good the hybrid P1 class was at length, and for a few short seasons we got some amazing cars and amazing racing. But that’s all we got because it’s too expensive. The problem with having a series about unfettered technical development is it always turns into an arms race. One team will find a way to spend more than anyone else. And one solution usually proves more effective than all the others; we saw this with flywheels/capacitors/batteries. If you’re Audi or Porsche and you really want (or need) to win Le Mans a few more times, that’s probably ok. But every other OEM right now looks at those costs and says gently caress no, it’s way too expensive.

Whereas they are coming and racing in IMSA, and the racing is good. Plus, And the big spender has what it needs from P1, it goes and does something else instead.

From the sounds of it, the plan is still to see how the ACO’s hypercar idea shakes out. But to keep the costs down things like hybrid systems might be standardized as opposed to an R&D sink. People keep saying 1990s-era GT1 is the goal, and low-volume manufacturers would be eligible.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Schlesische posted:

Not sure about Audi necessarily, but VAG would've probably stayed at least to the end of these
I like factory racing, and I feel it contributes to a much higher standard, but the reality is that it's also extremely fractious and prone to imploding over things that have almost nothing to do with the racing series or its regulations. Hell, Peugeot pulled out because there was no way it could afford to keep it's LMP1 program going if Hybrid power was a thing, Audi pulled out because of emissions cheating scandals that had nothing to do with their racing program and Porsche pulled out... because of emissions cheating scandals that had nothing to do with their racing program.

Peugeot pulled out because in 2008 it was up poo poo creek financially and closing factories and shedding workers, and the optics of doing that and still spending €100 million on a racing program was bad.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Schlesische posted:

Almost.
They pulled out after 2011 when they were on the verge of selling a healthy chunk to a GM that doesn't view that level of investment in motorsports as viable.
They had completed a shakedown run of the hybrid diesel, this is a link to a youtube video showing it running at Estoril in 2011 (yes, Peugeot managed to make an LMP1HY that magically sounds like even more of a school bus than the R18s).

gently caress, no idea why I wrote 2008 when it was 2011 it all went wrong. They did of course withdraw in January 2012.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
GT2 never went anywhere, they just renamed it GTE/GTLM. The technical regulations are the same.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

God I cant wait to see and hear truly uncorked DPis at Daytona and Sebring next year.

Here's hoping Caddy brings back the 6.2, and Mazda goes full retard and brings us a rotary. Or at least something larger, because no way are they going to be able to crank enough reliable power out to keep up with Caddy and Acura.

Mazda are not ever going to make a racing rotary engine for IMSA. A: they don’t sell any rotary-powered cars in the US, and the program is Mazda North America. B: even if they had a rotary it would be a mistake because they’re thirsty AF and IMSA races often come down to who does best saving fuel.

As it is, the 2.0L AER engine is not putting out as much power as it’s capable of; none of the DPi cars are.

The change for next year you should be more excited about is IMSA finally ditching Continental tires for Michelins. Every DPi/P2 driver I’ve spoken to has been champing at the bit to race these cars on proper rubber.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 6, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Here’s what it’s like driving the RT24-P in the sim: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/08/this-isnt-a-game-we-try-out-a-professional-driver-in-the-loop-simulator/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

orange juche posted:

You know they would bring back the mr2 as a halo car though. It would have an amped up engine and sell for more than you can afford :smith:

Apparently they’re going to make a road car version of the TS050.