Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Okay I liked The Shape of Water okay but it winning best picture is dimension-splittingly insane. It's not even Del Toro's best film. It's not even his second or third best film.
The award isn’t for best Del Toro film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s no Mimic, that’s for sure.
I was thinking Blade 2 tbh

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The snubs in the In Memorium are kind of loving egregious this year. No Bill Paxton, Mary Tyler Moore, John Hurt, Adam West, Powers Boothe or Tobe Hooper.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 5, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I love it how The Shape of Water and Get Out won Oscars since they're basically cheap B-movies

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shape of Water wasn't that cheap, was it? There's big ol' real (mostly?) sets in that.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

20 million. That's not a lot by Hollywood standards.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Shape of Water wasn't that cheap, was it? There's big ol' real (mostly?) sets in that.

IMDB says the budget was $19 million. Darkest Hour is mostly just interiors with a lot of talking and it cost $30 million.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Egbert Souse posted:

IMDB says the budget was $19 million. Darkest Hour is mostly just interiors with a lot of talking and it cost $30 million.
Gary Oldman's $25m salary

I thought Dafoe was great in The Florida Project and generally liked the movie as a whole, but the ending lost me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, I guess if I become decently rich I'll call up that production crew to build me my own apartment+movie theater.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ended up nabbing $10k when Three Billboards didn't win Best Picture. The odds on that winning (1:1 odds) were so, so dumb.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, I guess if I become decently rich I'll call up that production crew to build me my own apartment+movie theater.

What they did to cut down production costs was The Strain was winding down as they were winding up production on Shape of Water so they reused sets from The Strain and some of the crew as well and apparently that saved them millions.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lid posted:

Blade 2 is great and the villain is wonderful AND it has Donnie Yen for no reason AND Ron Perlman

*runs into the thread, short of breath*

Did some FUCKER rag on Blade 2?

Also, Deakins had to go an win and ruin one of the longest running gags in Oscars history.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Le Saboteur posted:

The snubs in the In Memorium are kind of loving egregious this year. No Bill Paxton, Mary Tyler Moore, John Hurt, Adam West, Powers Boothe or Tobe Hooper.

this is a bad post because half of these people died in Jan/Feb 2017 and were in the montage last year.

https://twitter.com/johnkensil/status/970539247001391104

This tweet is better. You were right about West/Boothe/Hooper, and missing a few other names like John Mahoney, Reg E. Cathey and Della Reese

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

You're right I was just corrected on twitter about Paxton and Moore. Still a bit salty Harry Dean Stanton didn't get a clip either.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hooper's a huge one. I bet someone weighed it up by going "Weeeeeell, he didn't really direct Poltergeist, did he?"
gently caress Poltergeist. Texas Chainsaw 2!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Reminder that Jodie Foster is tiny

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Mandrel posted:

american sniper was a good war movie if you separate it from chris kyle the actual dude who doesn't have much in common with fictional american sniper character chris kyle

no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USAKb8nvFcQ

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

I haven't seen Darkest Hour but he totally should have won for Tinker Tailor.

He wasn't nominated but Michael Fassbender should have won that year for Shame.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Josh Lyman posted:

Too bad that's a worldwide number. Only $165 million on an $84 budget plus probably another $80 million for advertising.

I do love to see the constantly fluctuating barometer of what makes a profitable movie according to CineD. It always seems to be whatever ridiculous math supports the idea that some movie the OP doesn't like was actually a flop.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Party update:

https://twitter.com/caraNYT/status/970551765761273856

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Veni Veni Veni award for most underrated movie of 2017 went to It Comes at Night.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/carlreiner/status/970570702200889345

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Baronash posted:

I do love to see the constantly fluctuating barometer of what makes a profitable movie according to CineD. It always seems to be whatever ridiculous math supports the idea that some movie the OP doesn't like was actually a flop.
The convention is clear. Multiply production budget by two to account for domestic marketing. Domestic takings minus total domestic costs is usually the barometer of profitability.

It’s much harder to look at the international market. Marketing costs may fluctuate wildly and are shared by local partners. But it also means a much smaller fraction of takings filters back home. There’s no straightforward convention for dealing with it.

Whether a film is seen as successful by studios usually hinges solely on their domestic performance. Usually.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Vegetable posted:

The convention is clear. Multiply production budget by two to account for domestic marketing. Domestic takings minus total domestic costs is usually the barometer of profitability.

It’s much harder to look at the international market. Marketing costs may fluctuate wildly and are shared by local partners. But it also means a much smaller fraction of takings filters back home. There’s no straightforward convention for dealing with it.

Whether a film is seen as successful by studios usually hinges solely on their domestic performance. Usually.

Yeah, none of this is news to me. Well, except for the idea that studios don't value international performance, which isn't so much news as it is just flat out wrong.

Like, the idea that a studio thumbs its nose at tens (or even hundreds) of millions of dollars because some 80k-per-year accountant somewhere might have to do a little bookkeeping before the studio gets their cut is asinine.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 5, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The real celebration we should be having is that The Greatest Showman won nothing, nada, squat.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

My best pickies list goes:
Call Me By Your Name
Shape of Water
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
Dunkirk
Three Billboards
Darkest Hour
The Post

and in my best of 2017 list on Letterboxd, I had The Florida Project, Killing of a Sacred Deer, Mother!, Spider-Man, A Ghost Story, Blade Runner 2, and The Mayerowitz Stories above 'Call Me...'

Yes! Loved that movie. Dark comedy at its best. I liked it more than The Lobster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think this was a pretty all right year, no overt travesties in the award selections and it was cool to see Get Out win something. I think we’re probably going to see a lot of films try to imitate the Shape of Water during awards season with lead characters who want to gently caress weird things for the next couple years.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

The Veni Veni Veni award for most underrated movie of 2017 went to It Comes at Night.

This movie was mind bendingly stupid

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Baronash posted:

Yeah, none of this is news to me. Well, except for the idea that studios don't value international performance, which isn't so much news as it is just flat out wrong.

Like, the idea that a studio thumbs its nose at tens (or even hundreds) of millions of dollars because some 80k-per-year accountant somewhere might have to do a little bookkeeping before the studio gets their cut is asinine.

I think worst case scenario is China. You need to pair with a local distributor, and the Chinese government owns half of any such venture, so you're looking at a 25% return on the gross sales, compared to a roughly 60% domestic return. I think the average international take is roughly 40% of gross sales.

Also it should be noted that I think movies tend to make roughly 1.4 times their cinema take in post cinema sales (DVDs, TV, streaming, hotels, planes, etc). That takes a while to filter back to the production company, but it can save movies that weren't profitable at the box office.

I think the original post was talking about arm-chair debates about profitability, not board room ones. They know exactly what they are getting as returns, but it's hard for people on the sidelines to make estimates about if a movie is profitable or not. So we double the production cost for marketing, and another 80% or something for other costs like print distribution, DVD production and overheads, halve the gross box office take for distribution costs, but then add 1.5 times the box office take for post-cinema sales...and suddenly we're looking at a lot of compounding rule-of-thumbs.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Looked over my list I submitted to that Oscars challenge thing, and it turned out I got 13/24, which is at least better than my guesses last year. I really expected Bladerunner 2049 to get more technical props than it did.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

vyst posted:

This movie was mind bendingly stupid

No you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Texas Chainsaw? Sure why not.

gotta love how they included Texas Chainsaw Massacre on their little "we love movies!" montage and then left Tobe Hooper off the In Memorium

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I think we’re probably going to see a lot of films try to imitate the Shape of Water during awards season with lead characters who want to gently caress weird things for the next couple years.

Sounds good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Here are a few things that I think have some real fuckable potential, aspiring Hollywood writers take note:

- Trees
- Couches
- Freight Train
- Bag of Marshmallows
- Sega Dreamcast
- Football Stadium
- 9/11

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Here are a few things that I think have some real fuckable potential, aspiring Hollywood writers take note:

- Trees
- Couches
- Freight Train
- Bag of Marshmallows
- Sega Dreamcast
- Football Stadium
- 9/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qnIpkiBTTM

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Are these fuckable jokes based off one movie winning this year or is there more to it that I'm missing

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I thought this was gonna be the chair loving guy from that episode of Nip/Tuck.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

nerve posted:

Are these fuckable jokes based off one movie winning this year or is there more to it that I'm missing

sam rockwell fucks the billboards in three billboards and day-lewis's character in phantom thread forces his sister (the great lesley manville) to ejaculate inside the fabric of each dress he makes (thus the title)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

joking aside, Phantom Thread is 100% about DDL wanting to gently caress the gowns.

also Timmy fucks an apricot in Call Me By Your Name

• Locked thread