Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Grey-Seer is displeased, needs more warpstone, yes-yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Beachcomber posted:

The Celery Stalks at Midnight

I ran across the audiobook for this last week about 25ish years after I lost my childhood cassettes for it, and was compelled to reread it and Bunnicula. A+ talking animal content, but what makes it extra blessed is that it’s apparently the same author as The Misfits series, which was legit important stuff for queer kids in the early 2000s. Good Guy James Howe

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

That’s a Paldean quagsire, you can’t fool me, mine did good work against the Elite Four.

No but seriously, what on earth is that and can I pet it

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Now I’m imagining setting up a gentle buffing wheel attached to a weight-activated switch, and just seeing how much of their day a turtle will spend getting brushed.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Hello yes, I'm here to apply for the job where I put tiny bow ties on puppies, where do I sign

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Captain Hygiene posted:

Why'd you get rid of the little dog :smith:

I have wonderful news: all dogs are little dogs, inside. Except the ones who were always huge dogs, even when they were little dogs. Those are very big dogs indeed.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

There ain’t no rule that says a dog can’t play soccer!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

SyNack Sassimov posted:

:wtc: replying to a say nothing post from 5 years ago

Emulating the release schedule for mainline Kingdom Hearts games.

Also, they’re not wrong, someone give that chicken a keyblade.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Bored posted:

Have you been catching the “Creepy Dave” shorts he does for patrons?

ZeFrank as Strongbad is very powerful and I’m here for it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

dog nougat posted:

#blessed pics: rolling like a hotdog on the ocean floor

Aspirational, to roll like a hotdog on the ocean floor.

I’ve been watching ALONE and harbor seals have started showing up in this river. Never has that show given me such a strong reaction as when it looked like one of the contestants was going to go hunt that seal. You leave the precious hot dog creature alone you monsters.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

I will never get over the fact that birds can purr, apparently.

Extremely jealous of this orangutan:

https://twitter.com/shouldhaveanima/status/1695391203313983888

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Some cats are just wired that way

And some are wired this way
https://i.imgur.com/1OtO660.mp4
(sound)

This is the most goblin-animal I have ever seen, absolutely perfect.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ekuNNN posted:

Yeah farmers here are the worst. They get money from the government when a wolf kills or injures one of their animals, but most of them still just want to shoot all the wolves.

"Grey wolf transforms into a good boy when he is visited by the people that helped raise their pack"
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r8cdjplZNc1w4nksa.mp4

I'm sure wolves were domesticated independently many times in many places, but my personal theory on how it most often happened is exactly that: someone saw a wolf cub or a litter of them without parents, got hit by our powerful mammalian instinct to go "awwwww" at anything with an infant-like ratio of eyes-to-head and head-to-body, and suddenly they're raising furry babies. Not domesticated yet, not by a long shot, but as that adult goes out into the world and brings them the "technology" of "these specific humans will give you food," that becomes a competitive advantage.

It's either that, or some prehistoric person had their baby stolen and decided that the only thing that could right this wrong was to create the pug.

For the wolf fans here, there's a documentary on the Yellowstone wolves called War of the Wolf Packs that has some astonishing footage of their private lives and pack dynamics over generations. It's an unflinching view of wolf interactions in the wild, and the thumbnail they chose is one of the more violent parts of the documentary, so I won't link it directly.

Highly recommended if you're fascinated by these beautiful creatures and have some tolerance for the "red in tooth and claw" aspects of their lives.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

SniperWoreConverse posted:

iirc there were some research saying domestication actually stuck only once -- there's a split between two kinds of wolves, and this second kind split again: dogs and a lineage that is now extinct. So maybe there was a group that was like "hell yeah humans are great" that made it, the ones that for sure weren't going for it made it, and the ones that weren't so sure didn't?

That’s fascinating, now I need to do more reading on this. Shows the value of specialization!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Nektu posted:

Jumping spiders tend to look adorable because they have those big babby eyes.

But holy poo poo, that thing is huge, i always thought jumping spiders are sub 1cm.

Seriously, that thing is gigantic and I dearly want to know what it is and where they live.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Bored posted:

You can buy big ones as pets.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyllus_giganteus

The males are a little creepy looking.

Although, I think the one in the video is a Phidippus something-rather? One moment, I can’t remember the large phidippus species. Audax maybe? I think the one that gave high fives on command was a female bold jumping spider.

Any of the captive bred and raised jumping spiders are usually friendly to humans, according to all the jumping spider videos I watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AsoBsRm1eE
This lady talks about her Regal Jumping Spider (Phidippus regia) and mentions her specific jumper will pretty much eat anything in her food bowl, leftovers from the night before included.

I just spent way too long looking at jumping spider hobbyist videos. I knew Phidippus was a cool spider family, but I had no idea some of them got that big! It's really a shame they're so short-lived - I like spiders, but most of them don't have enough personality or intelligence for me to be interested in keeping them.

Someone hand Children of Time to a smart kid right now, so that they can grow up wanting to genetically engineer a gigantic friendly jumping spider that lives 20 years please.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is that some kind of gigantic wombat? :psyduck:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Bored posted:

it was right there, so I had to fix it.

Is that Snuff or am I misremembering based on the difference of looking at goondogs on pc and iphone?

For anyone thinking i'm referencing snuff films, I am not. It is a good goondog's name which is referencing a fictional good dog from a book. It just may not be this goon's dog if I'm mistaking them for one another.

The goondog Snuff is Hieronymous Alloy's very good boy. The book his name is referencing is A Night in the Lonesome October, the protagonist of which is Jack the Ripper's dog. He is also a very good boy, and the book is incredible.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

My dog gulliver

The self-control on display here is extraordinary, how is that burg not being inhaled - clearly a dog of great dignity and refinement.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ahh, Dream of the Endless, how good to see you in this noble form.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Shoehead posted:

Oh my god he's gorgeous

… is what the cobra is saying about that hose. “So much volume!”

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Captain Hygiene posted:

It also looks like a lot of fun if you're wearing a hat that they can pick up off your head and put it on their own, as a fun little joke. Before politely giving it back, of course.

We should just make hats for elephants. They deserve hats.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

The little ear flutters oh my god

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Deptfordx posted:

'Simultaneously press and hold their nose and stomach to reboop your dog'.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
That dog better have gotten to keep that fish.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Buce posted:

amazing

If you like that one, come down to the PYF Seals Thread, we have a lot of round squishy bois there!

https://i.imgur.com/RDAveza.mp4

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

spankmeister posted:

McNulty from The Wire is British.

Which makes the scene where he does a terrible British accent so much funnier.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Inceltown posted:

Utah Saints are also good :colbert:

It's really Utah the state brining the name down.

They can’t help it, there’s all that salt up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

He found a rock that smells like meat it’s the best and most exciting thing everrrrrrr