Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Well, a couple bugs I've seen so far:

First I somehow completed a quest with a nice reward while I was in my shelter doing nothing by myself (not in a group). Got a gauss rifle as a reward and I have never even seen those yet (I'm only level 41).

Second I was doing the teapot defense event and nothing ever spawned for any of the waves. We had a team of people running all over the place doing the confused emote. Event completed successfully with reward but just kind of strange.

I dig the extra loadout and the new season track thing though. My first camp is small and sucky so I didn't try making a new one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok I'm about level 52ish and I am struggling in a big way to help in missions and such. I leveled with a sort of slap dash stealth commando thing so most of my 'damage' perks are in commando stuff. I would like to transition to a power armor build maybe with heavy or energy weapons but it will be quite a while until I can accumulate the appropriate perks. I made myself modified level 50 combat rifles and such, but it still seems like I'm barely tickling some of the normal mobs (like that uranium miner defense event). Is there a quest or something with a good automatic rifle that I can pick up?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thanks but I'm on PC. I'll start hopping around player vendors looking for a fixer and look into spending some of the scrip I've saved up. I mostly just mooch off of those tougher events by putting on some power armor and trying to hit as many things as I can. I don't actually join them unless I see a bunch of other people running them.

Still enjoying the game quite a bit but the 'level 50 recommended' is a little misleading for some of the events.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Taerkar posted:

What's your overall build? A good weapon can help a lot but the right perks can go a long way. Especially if you have the support perks you need.

Also the recent change means that changing your spec is easy-peasy, as long as you have the cards you need.

Something like this (from memory)

I was kind of going the stealth commando route but picking up random other fun and/or interesting things, but its a bit of a mess. There are quite a few 'I've got nothing better to fill the spot with' perks (stuff like butchers bounty and some of the crafting stuff like ammosmith)

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol, seriously. I've done campfire tales enough times to have stupid easy events with minimal enemies, but also times you can't escape the loving bloodbugs and ants even with half a dozen players.

Teapot will do this too. Like the scaling for enemy count is hosed up somehow, where you think you're going to have an easy run through alone, only to be absolutely surrounded the entire time.

I still haven't finished the Uplink daily op, I'm level 116.

I haven't even tried a daily op yet. I was with a group of people who failed the teapot event yesterday so I know what you mean because it got crazy with ticks and ants at one point.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Taerkar posted:

Limited perk card choices can be a pain, though I take it from your perks that you're using an energy weapon. Which type?

Mostly combat rifle. The energy ammo thing was to reduce the weight of all the 25% fusion cores I had (also I didn’t have any other great perks for int).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sensenmann posted:

You absolutely need Tenderizer under Charisma and Adrenaline under Agility. Those are the single most important damage perks for any build.

Commando is full auto, so make sure your weapons actually are automatics and not single shot rifles.

Also, do you have any mutations?

Thanks I'll pick those up. I just bought a bunch of mutation serums. I think I have eagle eyes, egghead, marsupial, and speed demon.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ugh I had some extra time last night so I knocked out all the Weekly SCORE challenges several days early, what do I see fresh on the homepage note today? FFS they could announce that at the start of a new weeks challenges.

I did buy a Coffin backpack cheap today, though :kiddo: Does anyone have a spare Witch Costume plan they would trade for a Skeleton Costume or sell for a not-ruinous sum? I've been board flipping a couple hours and got 2 Skeletons, several Vampire men who drop no plans and one Witch with a tape and a toothbrush in her pocket :mad:

Pretty sure the weekly scores aren't doubled, just the daily ones.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sensenmann posted:

High intelligence, yes. I'll give you the rundown.

Your base intelligence (special points) should be 15.

Next, you want to be in a full set of Unyielding armor. That's another 15 intelligence on top, if you are at or below 20% health, and we are now at 30 Int. You can increase that even further if you, somehow, manage to roll ALL 5 Uny Armor pieces with the +1 Intelligence modifier. That's incredibly hard but, for completionist sake, I'll assume you did it and we are now at 35 Int.

Any Casual Underarmor with the Shielded Lining Mod adds another 3 Int and we are now at 38.

The Egg Head mutation adds another 6 Int. That's 44 Int.

The Herd Mentality mutation adds another 2, assuming you play on a team. We are now at 46 Int.

The Strange in Numbers perk buffs all your positive mutation effects by 25%, slot that in and Egg Head gives 8 instead of 6, Herd Mentality gives 3 instead of 2. You should use that perk at all times anyways.

With all that, we are now at 49 Int.

The Legendary Intelligence perk, if maxed out, gives another 5 and we are now at 54 Int.

Join a Casual public team. If you are fully bonded with the other 3 players on it that's another 4 Int and we are now at 58. For those who don't know, if you look at the team overview at the bottom left of the screen, the blue bar below their names is the bonding indicator.

That's the baseline for all players in a full Unyielding set.

For another 3 Int, slap in the Night Person perk although that only works between 6 pm and 6 am in game time.

That's a total of 61 Int, at night.

Since it ain't night all the time, the baseline for this will be 58.

Now for the part that requires some work and will NOT be permanent.

The Int Bobblehead gives another 2 Int for one hour. (2 hours if you use the Curator perk)

60 Int.

From this point on, I'll assume that you have either the Herbivore or the Carnivore mutation as that doubles the buff from food/drinks. You can only have one, pick the one that suits you best. Numbers in brackets are for those who refuse to play mutated.

Food. Brain Bombs OR Broiled Scorchbeast Brain give another 6 Int.

66 (63) Int.

Drinks. Steeped Aster Tea gives another 4.

70 (65) Int.

Drugs. Berry Mentats gives another 5 Int, for 5 minutes.

75 (70) Int.

Now for the part that might be problematic for some.

If you play with the Marsupial mutation, and let's be honest, who doesn't, that takes away 4 Int points. You have 4 options.

You deal with it.

If you want to max your Int at all costs you play without Marsupial for the time being.

Another option is taking the Marsupial serum to suppress the negative effect of it for 60 minutes. Serums are easy to craft for most high levels and they will happily sell you them for ~300-350 a pop. Or you craft them yourself, if you know the recipe and have the ingredients.

You slot in Class Freak. That does not negate all the negative side effects but it helps a lot and is, most likely, the best option. Marsupial now only takes away 1 Int.

For max gain I'll assume you slam serums and we are still at 75 Int. :)

However, this is only temporary and requires work, luck or ingredient farming. Plus, there are other things that can boost your XP gain.

The Leader Bobblehead gives you 5% more XP for 1 hour (2 with the Curator perk)

The Live and Love 8 magazine gives 5% more XP when you are on a team. For 1 hour.

Well Rested gives another 5% to XP for 3 hours.

Cranberry Relish OR Tasty Squirrel Stew give 10% more XP for 1 hour. With Strange in Number and the mutation it benefits from, Herbivore OR Carnivore, those will give you 25% more XP for 1 hour.

Important to know if you go all in on consumables:

Consumable will only stack if they buff DIFFERENT special stats or provide DIFFERENT effects.

Brain Bombs and Brain Fungus Soup, for example, both buff Intelligence. You can't eat both and get the benefit from both. The most recent one eaten is the one that counts, all others get overwritten. Since Brain Bombs are not exactly easy to craft you want to avoid mistakes like this.

Also, you can't take 10 of the same kind and get 10x the benefit. That just doesn't work, it will simply refresh the timer.
But, to the surprise of no one, it did work in the early days. People slammed Bobbleheads by the shedload and stacked the benefits so high they could level up by murdering a single radroach or disarming a tin can trap. Bethesda never changes. ;)

Anyways.

Personally, I roll with 53 Int because the +1 Int from the armor pieces is not even remotely as good as Increased AP refresh, +1 Agi or +1 Str as tier 2 modifier and, let's face it, it's incredibly hard to come by. Not impossible but improbable.

I'm also a Herbivore and have a steady supply of Brain Fungus Soup and Cranberry Relish on me. The latter gives me 25% more XP for 1 hour, the former 4 Int. Add Well Rested and Lunchboxes into the mix and that's good enough for me.

I save my Berry Mentats for Decryption DOs.

I think I got mine in the third week after they added the plans. It's completely random. Just keep doing the DOs, the plans for the armor and the new gear only drop once and get removed from the reward pool once you learn them so your chances of getting it will increase over time. The real problem is getting a version of the weapon you actually want. All these items dilute the possible event reward pool so getting a good roll will take ages. Or a lot of Luck. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it. Weaponry is not even remotely as important as a good build.

Wow have I been playing the game wrong, lol.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I feel like the legendary perks though are kind of a big deal and are what really make builds click. Because of this you need tons of perk points (levels) to make multiple builds worthwhile.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sensenmann posted:

Personally I think that the LPs benefit PA players the most. They are great for non PA builds as well but for PA builds you're basically turning on god mode.

However, unless you are Melee or Unarmed, Ammo Factory is the first LP to level up. Crafting ammo by the truckload is absolutely amazing.

Huh, I was thinking of leveling int and luck first since they will always be useful no matter the build. ammo factory is definitely tempting though

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The dailies are so buggy in this game. Literally. I did stings and things like 6 times today.

Think I will make my first poor mans power army / heavy build tonight. I don't have bloodied weapons yet so I'll probably not do the low health thing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I have a couple of AA guns and they seem pretty effective compared to most other types that I've tried out.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I believe I read that if you crouch you can at least turn off your own loud noise for other players.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Still haven't gotten a random fixer from scrip trade in even though I bought the plans from a player vendor weeks ago.

Having fun with my power armor build. Final Word is one drat effective gun.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The 150 scrip turn in limit really stifles this game. Looking forward to the next patch even though I probably won't finish the scoreboard in time.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I got the 'mega mansion' and I've been trying to glitch into the bottom like I've seen on some youtube videos so I can build a generator inside there but I am having no luck at all. Any crafting station I try to put near it won't let me get close enough to glitch inside. Is there any trick that can help?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Private server was a life saver when the spawns were broke for the 'kill 15 robots' type of quests.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Whats good to save up for with the gold bullion? I noticed there's a double weekend on so I can turn in the 60 tickets I have over the next couple days. I'm usually stealth commando-ing but I have my second SPECIAL slot set as Heavy Guns for Queen fights etc.

I did today's OP solo and only missed elder by 30seconds, getting those bash-finishers to connect is frustrating - next time I might try getting a group of enemies down to 0 health and then swapping to a melee weapon so at least I can VATS-hit them.

The end boss of the OP (who I usually have problems with) didn't stand up to a few full clips from the TSE Rail, so I'll be keeping that in my pocket for just such occasions.

SS chest + rocket pack is what is usually recommended. If you have the rep the grocer and chemist mods for backpack are both good, gauss minigun + mods, gauss shotgun + mods, ammo maker, turbo fertilizer maker.

There is the power armor(T65?) too but that seems like a waste what with legendary PA coming out soon.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Isn’t there a new set coming with a % resist or something?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I just use T51B because I'm too lazy to grind for T65.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I finished mine a couple days ago and haven't played since. I guess the only thing really remaining is to grind for bullion or better rolls on legendaries which doesn't interest me very much. I'll probably pick it up again after the next patch.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Presto posted:

Dear Bethesda,

I ran into a guy in Foundation who claimed to be from Pittsburgh, and speaking as someone from western PA, his accent is, well, :wrong:

Sounds like a bad mix of Chicago and Boston.

Next time, go on Youtube and search for "Pittsburgh Dad". That's a Pittsburgh accent.

Drives me freaking insane. That one girl that yells out something like 'It's slippy out! YEAH!'. Doesn't even make any sense.

In general they just took generic words from all around W. Va. and PA and just randomly yell them out.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Unless they changed it the ammo converter kind of sucks and is painful to use.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It’s been a long time so I could be wrong, but I remember following some sort of route that allowed me to farm world spawn fusion cores easily.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It's been a few years but I'm thinking of starting up FO 76 again. Is there a good source for builds that I should check out?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok so I’m around level 200 and was previously running a generic power armor build using Final Word. Maybe it’s just me, but it doesn’t really feel as effective as it used to. What are some good guns and/or builds to go for? I notice power armor doesn’t seem as prevalent as when I last played years ago.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I play it and enjoy it. It's a really chill game. I can just farm poo poo, do some scoreboard dailies, join an event or two, try a new build, fiddle around with my camp, whatever. I just stop when I'm bored and come back after an update or two. My next goal other than getting equipment together for a bloodied build is to finally launch a nuke. It's just something I've never bothered to do before even though I have all the prereqs taken care of with the enclave.

e: Also the game is a lot different than when it controversially released with no NPCs. They've added NPCs, a bunch of factions, questlines, etc over the years. I'm not trying to sell it as something amazing, but if you are looking for a multiplayer Fallout I think it is pretty good and I actually like the map more than I liked most of the other 3D Fallout maps. I also like that it isn't scared to just let you be crazy overpowered eventually.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 23, 2024

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah you are limited by the amount of scrip you can get a day. You can also get them from expeditions but I usually only get 1 or 2 at a time so that would be a pretty tedious way to do it.

Bloodied is really powerful but honestly my lame rear end full health power armor build feels overpowered for almost everything anyway.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

For those playing FO76, there is a free ally in the atomic shop.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yes. This one is a brotherhood initiate who gives a buff that makes you repair things better. It’s based on a character from the new show.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Morality_Police posted:

What else is worth hunting down immediately? I'm working on the season rewards, since I hear the Cremator is really strong, but aside from that, anything I should be chasing? I've been switching back and forth between a full health shotgun build and my trusty auto-axe melee maniac build, and there is still nothing I've found that deletes HP bars like the auto-axe. I want to give heavy weapons and power armor a try, but should I just wait on that until I unlock the cremator?

This game is still a janky mess, but I'm genuinely enjoying it, for the time being anyway.

The special flamer “Holy Fire” you can get from the Beast of Burden” event is incredibly powerful and a fantastic way to start a heavy power armor build. It does a ton of damage and the default one has vampiric so it heals you. Final Word is a quest HMG that is quite good too. Cremator is cool but uses a shitload of ammo. With Holy Fire I gain about 2000 fuel every time I do an expedition so ammo isn’t an issue.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Flesh Forge posted:

I also really like FO4, it's just a great Running Around Doin Thangz simulator. Like most Bethesda games the main plot is something you can (should) just completely ignore and just run around picking flowers and jumping off of high places and punching freaks and stuff

This is why I like to play FO76. Just randomly running around, collecting stuff, blowing things up, earning various currencies towards bullshit in my camp, etc.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Morality_Police posted:

Fallout TV show has done what I thought was impossible, and made my partner - who has historically given 0 shits for Fallout - want to play 76. We've been up past bedtime the last couple nights building a new camp together and doing quests, while I buy up every useful schematic we find along the way to hand over to her. I don't think it will last longterm - we're both too busy to get into a new MMO-type game in a serious way - but it's fun as hell right now.

Also, thanks to the goon who tipped me off to Holy Fire, this thing is hilarious. I eat through fuel like crazy and have actually had to go scavenging again for acid and oil - something I haven't needed to do in like 50 levels. But hey, it's all worth it, because blue flamer goes brrtttttt.

Yeah the baseline Holy Fire is very very good. I do solo expeditions to Atlantic City (Tax Evasion) and end up with tons of extra fuel since everything in there drops at least like 15 fuel except the ones with flamers who drop 150.

You also end up with tons of pre-war money that you can scrap into cloth which I then use to make hats to easily max out the vendor every day. ( trench runner hats require 2 cloth and each hat sells for like 15 caps with hard bargain)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Psychedelicatessen posted:

They can turn off all your lights manually and open your doors. You can also pick locked doors, nuke the camp location or if you're a real poo poo, lure some monsters to a camp and watch them break stuff slowly.

Bethesda fixed almost every major camp destroying exploit. No more radstag explosive griefing.

Also if you build in the forest you can't be nuked. I still only have my original forest location. I keep meaning to put up an alternate camp but I'm just so used to my old one.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Entorwellian posted:

I reinstalled Fallout 76 and its way more fun than I last remembered it. I'm just taking my time checking out everything around the starting location but the game is really drat gorgeous with all the graphic settings on max. I really wish this was single player, though, because playing with other people in this game is the only thing I dislike about it.

Well you could get 1st to avoid other people, but generally I've found FO76 to be a pretty friendly game where most people are just chilling and doing their own thing. Remember if somebody is in a camp or something you want to clear you can always just leave the server and load right into a different one.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

FO76 has just been crazy the past week. I went from being just a random dude watching everything explode around me due to quad railroad rifle headshots to being the superstar in nearly every event I've done. With my perks, Union Armor, and Holy Fire I end up tanking every boss creature while a swarm of sub level 50s harmlessly chip away at it. It's actually kind of refreshing having events that are actually somewhat of a challenge because it isn't full of level 200+ players.

I also spent some time making low level handmades, fixers, etc and handing them out which was fun too.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Entorwellian posted:

I find it kinda weird that 76 starts you off with the ability to construct floors and roofs, but not walls? :psyduck:

I ended up buying a wall type with the atomic points from Fallout 1st, but really?

FWIW there are tons of plans available without using atoms.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

twistedmentat posted:

and a two poo poo plasma pistol which isn't too bad either.

:hmmyes:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Black Griffon posted:

Right now I'm suffering from the fact that I've got a bunch of max level regular gear I've gotten from events I've tagged along to, filling up my stash, and I'm still just level 30. I guess that if they're not legendaries, I might as well scrap them since I'm probably gonna come across more of them?

Yeah, basically level 50 things will drop shitloads of level 50 weapons, so much that you can't and won't bother to even pick most of it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Also there is a 40k cap limit. Not sure if that is explained anywhere.

Frag grenades can eventually be used to make nuka grenades, which are really powerful if specced into and are used by some to farm obscene amounts of xp at West Tek.

I typically just sell them to vendors though.