Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

She's special because she's John Cassidy's daughter.

Yup, this alone was great. This, finding the car, the super mutant town up north. I loved those details tying back to the original two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It plays the Fallout 2 music when you find it. :)

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Curious if anything Fallout related gets announced at Bethesda's e3 presentation. The invite at any rate had some Fallout content, so here's hoping.

Anything but previous Fallout... Now in VR!

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

That sounds a lot cooler than Fallout 3 in VR.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's weird because I remember when Fallout 1 first came out and I really didn't pick up on the whole 50s thing THAT much. It's so over the top now, just awful.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's just... Different. I don't know, am I crazy here? Every loving thing now is Leave It to Beaver.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Troika were pretty good writers but.....they just weren't very good coders. Even if you excuse stuff with a lack of dev time, there's a lot of issues that are just Morrowind levels of bad programming. Most notorious being that it prioritizes the game over all your peripherals.

Hahaha I forgot about this! Didn't it make the mouse super laggy? Good times.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Never understood this complaint. The retro future aesthetic was more of a backdrop in Fallout 1/2 but that didn't make them better. This kind of stuff makes Fallout feel more unique rather than being just another Mad Max wasteland. There's a reason Bethesda decided to lean on that stuff even harder in the new games; because its what most people actually liked and remembered about Fallout.

I mean if you cut the retrofuturistic stuff out of Fallout there really isn't much unique or interesting about the setting. Its just another post apocalyptic game but with ridiculous mutants.

It gave me a distinct feel that I don't get anymore. I mean I really enjoy the new games to be honest, but I like post-apocalyptic stuff a lot and the whole 50s thing being pushed so hard, I just don't enjoy it.

Did you play the games at release? I hadn't played Wasteland so for me there was just nothing else like it.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know everyone thinks the writing in Far Harbor is good ...

Uuuuhhhhhhhhhhh

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Haha, in the Fallout 2 manual didn't it state that Dogmeat (or Ian) died in the base? I guess that's as canon as it's gonna get.

I had the big box versions and I threw them away later because I was tired of storing them. Why, god.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Fallout 1 in the F4 engine would be pretty cool.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Will they also be explaining how he got into Arcanum?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

strategery posted:

And way too much development time. It would be 100% a new game.

Sure, especially considering stuff like it having fast travel. Just dreaming.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Er, I meant a different travel system

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Fallout: Clovis. The World's Biggest Little Fresno.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I just noticed the one guy who comes on screen with the Pip Boy is wearing an NCR t-shirt.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah that's true I guess I'm being the stereotypical Fallout 1&2/NV fan who dislikes how shallow FO3 and 4 are.

Nothing wrong with this. I played 3 and 4 and enjoyed them as well, but the West Coast series is better.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Every time someone uses VATS every other players game slows down.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

So many weird assumptions in this thread.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

marktheando posted:

:rolleyes:

Dude I’ve been to America. I’ve travelled by car there. More than once. A motorway is a motorway in any country, there’s nothing particularly impressive about your interstates.

Can I please have your home address? I am better able to explain this in person!!!

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Is this your first time riding the pre-release hype train? Wild, faithless and often extremely angry speculation is part and parcel, friend.

My favorite is the guy explaining the history of the US interstate and how it will definitely feature prominently into this game based on absolutely nothing, or maybe the people searching for deeper meaning in the lyrics of a John Denver song that's been used to indicate 'generic US midwest/rural cosiness' for a few decades now :v:

I'm too old not to know better, but I still managed to be shocked. That said I will carry the interstate rant in my heart until the day I die.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

If I remember right, the PipBoy 2000 wasn't wrist mounted at all. It'd be cool to see one of the Vaults have that style. Does it ever explain away why they have different PipBoys in every game?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's funny that even the people who were new to the series with 3 and NV now feel as burned as everyone else did back then.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's a reasonable viewpoint, they just get a lot weirder about it. There's a guy whose signature is "They RAPED Fallout!" and it's always like, you lost me there guy.

That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with liking 1, 2, and NV better. 76 does look like a poo poo show but I'm going to give it a go, absolutely.

[Edit] also the "lol gonna wreck some nma babbies" guys in here aren't making the game sound any more appealing.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Back Hack posted:

I think the funniest thing about Fallout 76 is that they're so smug about how absolutely sure they've nipped griefing in the butt

Wait, I'm sorry. In the BUD.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

No loving way

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I fell for it, and I liked it.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's lame to charge for a game AND have microtransactions anyway.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I've played Fallout since the first one came out and love the series so much, but... The Minutemen!?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I feel bad for people whose first Fallout was Fallout 3, I really do.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Whatever came of that "I missed you so much" Pip Boy drawing Chris Avellone posted?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

The creators of F:BoS are so stoked right now.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Maybe Bethesda will just recreate Fallout 1 and 2 from a first person perspective. Would be easier than trying to make their own poo poo.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Isn't Pipboy actually that little redhaired feller anyway

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Anyone read that there's some new Fallout pre-order listed in Amazon? Apparently it has a countdown video with a green tint or something. Maybe it's a F3 remaster.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Fallout 76 GOTY Edition

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I played all the QfG games back then, and... somehow... 5 is my favorite. I think I was just at the right age and was so amped up for it. No idea.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It is really good. The "I guess it must be free" gave me flashbacks to my teens and early 20s.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

1 is fairly compact, and fun. And as a bonus, if you like it you can continue on the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Fallout Tactics isn't canon!!!