Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

well, even that would be kind of dumb, because afaik nobody really needs to go between kansas city and st louis on a regular commuter-style basis

one of the problems developing rail routes is that you don't necessarily know what demand exists until the route is already built and people get to experiment with it

lots of things that would be practical with a $10 ticket to a train that leaves every hour don't work at all with a $200 commuter jet that leaves twice a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i think the reason we keep having urban planning and train derails is that tech billionaires are loving nerds

sooner or later every tech multi-billionaire wants to wreck somebody's downtown or build a train. it's just inevitable. and then we talk about it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flakeloaf posted:

an hour slower, $30 more expensive AND i get there without a car

fuckin sign me up yo

ottowa <=> toronto is saturated and they can charge premium rates

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

i just learned that light rail is illegal in Indiana lmfao midwest

a quick google suggests the state legislature was trying to force a federally funded rail project in indianapolis to use an existing heavy rail RoW

being indiana, i'm sure their goal was to receive kickbacks from whoever owns the RoW.

remember, kids: it's not corruption if it's not illegal.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
most of EBay is just alibaba resellers nowadays

and many of them will mark goods as “used” so you can’t filter them out lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

sounds like a good way to get early starters slamming into late red runners

and this would be different from the current situation how

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think there might be a problem with your car if the tank is under the rear seats and if fuel is pumped anywhere but to the engine. Did you piss off someone at your dealership or something?

vw used to sell cars with gasoline-fired heaters in the front

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

there's teh VW Thing heater.

yep thats a fuel line
and a spark plug
and a blower
and an exhaust pipe

the most frightening things in this picture

• it looks restored
  • the exhaust appears to have been used

whyyyy

the correct method of restoration is to remove the thing and patch all the holes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

yah corvair notion wasnt bad on the face, they just didnt have suspension modeling back then rly. couple of tweaks and it woulda been fine

the problem wasn't a lack of modeling. it was that once they realized the design was problematic, they didn't do anything.

no one blames GM for failing to foresee the then-unforseeable. we blame them for not immediately recalling a known-dangerous design, even after fixing it for new-production vehicles.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

everywhere likes to try and brag about how good their local tapwater is but i don’t wanna hear a drat thing until you’ve actually spent time in an area that has really really soft water

hafta descale your faucets and shower heads once in awhile? don’t have any bottling plants nearby? nah your water is fine i guess, like most places that don’t use artesian wells to flush their toilets

hard water is awesome

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PineappleGod posted:

Up here in the frozen north of Finland, I have Webasto fuel operated heater in my car.
You can evidently buy one in the US as well see: https://www.webasto-comfort.com/int/heating/car-parking-heater/fuel-operated-heating/

It came with my used car, evidently installing one to an old car here costs around 2000 euros, but if you buy a new car its a bit less to have installed at the factory.
It uses about 0,5l of fuel per hour of heating, you can set a timer on it, so your car is heated up when you want to leave.

this mostly sounds rad because it works as a block heater

in the u.s. most block heaters are electric so you have to find a plug :(

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

wide stance posted:

I just want to know what space water taste like with zero bacteria.

Probably awful.

go buy a jug of distilled water.

it doesn't taste good. it doesn't taste bad, either, just not good like a glass of tap water should.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i know people hate uber as a company but i was able to get home saturday night after the bar with zero recollection of it happening, except the fact that i had a charge from uber on my credit card. still makes me feel like im in the future.

if you were a woman the story might have gone a little differently

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

which while true is too broad a societal problem to be used as an argument against uber specifically, risks just diminishing it to "a few bad a actors"

regulated taxi services ban known rapists and criminals from driving for hire

uber, being a gypsy cab, does not

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

the shuttle was basically the Bradley but space, except imagine if work on the Bradley halted all other military ground vehicle development so no tanks, hum-vees, etc.

if only they had

yes the Bradley was a mess but so was every contemporary. humvees are almost impossibly fragile and their frames rust out even in desert conditions. m1 Abrams have to be deployed with 2 or 3 spare turbine engines because they fail constantly and are not field repairable.

ironically the revised Bradleys have proven to be a godsend because the m1is so useless as a tank. its exhaust is so hot it cannot be used in infantry support. it’s too heavy to cross bridges. it’s too wide to enter urban areas. it has so little fuel range that it cannot pursue other tanks

in short just about every dollar spent on military development programs is a dollar wasted

maybe the jsf/f35 fiasco saved us from having three or four individual fiascos

Edit: it’s not just ground vehicles, or planes. it’s boats, subs, tanks, satellites, ships, jets, guns, spaceships. we cannot seem to develop ANY new weapons system successfully and it is getting really expensive to fail in new and hilarious ways

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 7, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

those hairplugs look nice tho

that particular photo looks like a weave or a toupee

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
google image search picks up other photos of musky where it does look more real so maybe it is a hair transplant after all idk

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

the sr-71 was explicitly designed to reduce radar cross-section, why would they have not thought about it???

they spent a lot of time thinking about it, but they did not have the benefit of modern computer modeling in design

some things were learned the hard way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jabor posted:

anyone know where to buy 5-year out-of-the-money puts?

call goldman sachs they will be very happy to take your money

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

Josephine, the home-cooked meal startup where you can buy homecooked meals from local neighbors closed up late last week. http://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/02/02/josephine-announces-it-will-close/

most startups are bad, but it seemed like a generally fine idea, especially those with bigger families already making bulk food it's fairly trivial to make some more (tamale ladies). at least one good thing coming out of it is still a bill to allow selling of microkitchen food that will probably pass the ca state (already passed assembly).

source your quotes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Chris Knight posted:

if you use this phrase to refer to "the internet," you are a huge loving dipshit

are you surprised by a post from "GreatBacon" ?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

wait... is this an option? where?

the tool is called google verbatim

it disables stemming and poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

use the better school on your resume/bio and if anyone calls you on it, blame autocorrect

harfurt medical scool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i would be very not depressed to find out 70% of people are against this

30% in favor, 30% opposed, 40% no opinion :smith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

iirc when they polled Louisiana if they approved or disapproved of their governor or senator or whoever’s use of prostitutes “approved” got 5% so that gives a data point for the “loves loving with polls” part of the voter base

more like 5% love fuckin prostitutes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, but my point is a regional one: at least the Pittsburgh area has a complete lack of development besides Pittsburgh, so it can act as a regional eds/meds attractor. The Lehigh Valley is Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, it's halfway between Philadelphia and New York. No one is going to be attracted there because New York is like 100 miles down the road.

I know guys who commute from the lehigh valley to new york.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

rent control is pretty much the only reason I might be able to actually retire, because gently caress taking on a 700 grand mortgage in my 40s

don't worry about that

the minute rent control benefits you instead of hurting you, because you are too old to consider moving, it will be repealed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

have a chat to your sales bros about this one day. we have guys on 90k base who take home somewhere between 150k and 500k depending on how they do that year (any lower they probably didn’t hit target and lost their jobs anyway), and they still have to make a budget and buy houses etc.

also, when you ask any sales guy his salary, the answer you get is an annualized figure for his best. quarter. ever.

if jim-bob got a quarterly bonus of $80k once, five years ago, he makes "$500k" a year

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mrmcd posted:

My RSUs autosell so it's like getting 1-2 extra paychecks each month. Always sign up for an autosale program if you can. Take your comp in cash and just buy the stock yourself if you want to make a non-tax advantaged investment directly in your employer.

don't invest in your employer

even if your employer is a good investment, it's the opposite of a diversified portfolio -- you already have a lot at risk, in the form of your fuckin job

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

i have a bunch of options but they don't mean poo poo until we ipo so i'm still sitting here waiting

dunno how i'm gonna sell them off once we do go public- if i should sell them all at once and then place the rest that are vesting on auto-sell or start trickling them out as if i'd just started earning them after we ipo

idk

don't worry -- if the ipo actually happens, and the options are actually worth something, you won't have a choice. you will be forced to sell them on the spot to pay your income tax

if you are paid in stock options, the difference between the strike price and the stock price at exercise time is taxable income, at your normal tax rate. as an extra fun wrinkle, you will end up paying AMT on that year's taxes, so you won't have any deductions, either

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
where it gets super lovely is if you have a lockout period. you may be forced to exercise your options to participate in the ipo, socking you with a huge tax due, but then you may be unable to sell due to lockouts.

then, you get double-hosed: you can owe a bunch of money in tax on gains that were never realized, because the stock plunges after ipo lol

$3 strike price, $12 ipo: $9 of taxable income on the spot
-- 12 months of lockout ensue --
you sell your stock for $6, and you owe interest to whoever financed your tax bill up front :q:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
there are lots and lots and lots and lots of ways to get screwed badly by private company stock grants

there are dudes working full time at your startup, at their venture capital firms, and at all potential acquirers whose only job is to figure out how to gently caress you over on this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

noted bloodsucker peter theil is taking his ball and heading to LA, because evidently the bay is too progressive for him

i'm surprised he's not hanging out in the o.c. or inland empire

proto-fascist vampires are kind of the core constituencies there

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

energy news!

proposals to build peak-load plants - traditionally the domain of incredibly expensive dispatchable “peaker” natural gas plants - are starting to be won by solar/storage units

cheaper, quicker response, zero pollution. zero greenhouse emissions - whats not to love?

plus li-ion storage continues to drop in price by double digits year after year (it fell 24% in 2017) so the economics in favor of these hybrid arrangements will continue to rapidly improve

renewables have already bypassed coal (both new and current) and are now poised to do the same to natural gas

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-12/a-powerful-mix-of-solar-and-batteries-is-beating-natural-gas

it's a no-brainer that renewables would replace peak plants. it's just obvious. peak demand spikes when it's sunny out. which just happens to be when your solar capacity is working at its best.

where renewables are making no dent whatsoever is base power generation

coal usage is plunging because natural gas prices have made natural gas generation sane for base loads, which has never happened before. it is a new thing under the sun. most natural gas capacity coming online isn't peak plants -- it's gigantic fuckin coal-replacing base generators

solar and wind are awful for bearing the base load

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

how much is actual legitimate advances in technology and how much is advances in miner exploitation / chinese dumping

by which i mean actual human miners who dig minerals out of the earth not execrable cyber tulip poo poo

fracking, my man

the united states is back to being a leading natural gas producer, at rock-bottom prices

natural gas always dominated the peak plant market because natural gas generators are easy to turn on and off, spin up/down on demand. coal plants take hours and hours to turn on or turn off. nuclear plants can take days.

the price of the gas itself made sure it never challenged coal or nuclear for base generation. it just wasn't cost-effective to consider natural gas for your base loads.

now gas is cheap, and looks to remain cheap for decades to come. so people are turning down coal plants and firing up permanent, always-on gas generation.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also this is not a bad thing

yeah natural gas is still co2 output, but it's a lot less co2 per watt of output than coal was. and it doesn't belch millions of tons of horrible garbage into the air to poison human beings

natural gas energy production is cleaner in every way and a huge step forward in public health, even if it won't save us from rising seas

--

even the environmental damage from fracking is probably less than the cumulative damage from burning coal. you can belch toxic, radioactive garbage into the air, or you can keep it in surface ponds. either way, coal poisons the world.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

President Beep posted:

yeah but that’s just regular coal. im more interested in clean coal.

"clean" coal means keeping all of the disgusting toxic radioactive horrors in retention ponds instead of belching it into the air. it is a step forwards, of a sort. it's good not to be spraying pollutants into the air by the ton.

but we don't really have great ways to dispose of the concentrated waste, either. it's just sitting there, waiting for future generations to think of something clever

the coal slurry problem is like nuclear waste but 10,000x more voluminous and 10x as dangerous to human health.

--

edit: also there are two kinds of clean coal with horrible tradeoffs

the first stage is just to have scrubbers collecting as much pollutant material from exhaust as possible, and dump it into retention ponds.

the second stage is to avoid burning the coal entirely: you cook the coal and burn the much cleaner vapor rather than burn the coal directly. unfortunately this makes coal even less efficient and produces even more co2 per watt. and you still have to deal with the fuckin waste output!

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 15, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

coal is the enemy of all living things

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

the aftermath

that's not a hill of earth
thats a 25 foot embankment of coal plant ash.

whoever took this shot was probably wearing a full hazmat suit. just being in the presence of coal ash is a significant threat to your health

this land will be uninhabitable for hundreds or thousands of years

the damage to the underlying water table is incalculable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

wait isn't that just town gas production? that's the big 'murica-saving innovation? the technology so filthy that there are still literal hundred-feet-high mounds of extravagantly-toxic waste dotted around every city in the uk?

ah but it's slightly more efficient than town gas, for just a few billion dollars per installation!

and we don't have mounds anymore. now we have ponds!