Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cat Face Joe posted:

mighty gently caress just build a goddamn TRAIN

https://twitter.com/RAILMag/status/941425306505793538

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/941380553072185344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

eternal reminder that thiel richly deserves public execution

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/816021413794443264

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

i like your gimmick, it's legitimately hard to tell if you're mentally challenged or making a joke in any given post

lol always bet on severe autism in yospos

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

insert bracelet into paint agitator, dominate performance leaderboards, set off every RSI alarm in the system

frequent poundoff breaks in the warehouse bathrooms will more than pay for themselves

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
you young people just look at your dang phones all day it's rotting your brains!!!!!! *boomerishly watches 16 hours of fox news*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shaman Linavi posted:

also i would pay several american dollars to be able to watch a bunch of self-driving cars go around a special driving course with various degrees of road degradation/road conditions like it was some kind of slow/boring demolition derby

unfortunately they haven't had one in a few years

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i think it's also worth noting that people will almost certainly be significantly less tolerant of any crashes involving autonomous vehicles, which would probably still occur even if they magically figure out the tech for it

bird poops onto a sensor causing a fatal crash? why couldn't the car's AI know that was bird poop and not an 18-wheeler making a left turn across your lane

driver psychology is fascinating and i unsurprisingly never ever hear my friend who works in AV mention it at all

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
ROTOR I SUMMON THEE

https://twitter.com/stanedward/status/957535626651492352

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i wonder how many airports still have uber drivers hugging their fares at departures to avoid being ticketed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
goddamnit i was just looking for that quote i was certain they referred to this novel creation as an "impromptu uberpool"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

atomicthumbs posted:

sounds like a good way to get early starters slamming into late red runners

that’s exactly what happens and why they aren’t used here

cities already like to cut down the all-red phase too which is bad enough for it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol the comments

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
everywhere likes to try and brag about how good their local tapwater is but i don’t wanna hear a drat thing until you’ve actually spent time in an area that has really really soft water

hafta descale your faucets and shower heads once in awhile? don’t have any bottling plants nearby? nah your water is fine i guess, like most places that don’t use artesian wells to flush their toilets

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ate all the Oreos posted:

i live like 20 minutes from Zephyrhills, the place, where Zephyrhills, the bottled water product, comes from

our tap water is merely average and has plenty of hardness :shrug:

czeching their website it looks like they source from a number of springs all over florida and not from what tampa's using for municipal supply

which makes sense for commercially bottled water - the point is that i'd be more impressed about your local water table if they bottled a lotta coke and mountain dew and whatnot nearby, since that implies that your municipal water is sourced from a nice confined aquafer that provides water needing v little treatment for odor and color, the two most notoriously difficult things to treat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

wide stance posted:

I just want to know what space water taste like with zero bacteria.

Probably awful.

i worked a student job in the water quality lab and tried the water outta the nanopurification unit once

it tasted dry somehow

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/960549650703855616

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/960550239399636993

sarah rules

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

tho now that i think about it we do have like, generic soft-drink bottling plants, my wife works next to the Cott Beverages one, so who knows :shrug:

tbf the northern half of florida is p well off for water if i'm remembering my eveg classes correctly thanks to the high rainfall providing something like the second or third most usable surface water of any state and also more or less doin a good job recharging groundwater sources

or maybe it was #2 in most surface water used thanks to ag but either way it doesn't start tasting like it's had feet sittin in it until you get down past tampa

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

the 'hot springs' bubbling up into the pretty pools downtown in hot springs arkansas are like 93% gas-heated tap water and 7% actual thermal spring water, as is the lower federal bound for legally calling it a hot spring

they also smell like wet rear end

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
AAPL's been flat so far today btw

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
nah it's like the only reason why the dow took a hit while s&p isn't as bad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/960648430459617281

While neighboring Mountain View plans for 10,000 new homes and politicians throughout the state prioritize what they call a full-fledged housing crisis, Cupertino Mayor Darcy Paul sees things a little differently: He says the housing shortage in his city isn’t dire and doesn’t require drastic action.

His comments are drawing fire from activists who argue Cupertino is on the front lines of a massive housing shortage that’s forcing people to flee the Bay Area for more affordable places.

“It’s not at a point where anyone can justifiably say that we’re at a critical level where drastic measures must be taken,” Paul said during his recent “state of the city” speech, “but the data is telling us that we should pay more attention to ensuring that our housing stock keeps in balance with our job growth.”

“The circumstances are not dire. We have good options,” he continued.

hahahahahahaha

The median price of a Cupertino home is $2.2 million — a 21 percent increase from just a year ago, according to Zillow. That means even well-paid techies are struggling to live here. In 2015, Zillow says, a typical entry-level software engineer would have had to spend 55 percent of his or her monthly income to rent a home in Cupertino, or 69 percent to buy one.

nice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
but but but building more housing will just increase traffic

*totally blocks all housing infill, forcing increasingly larger numbers of workers to commute to the area in their cars*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Tankakern posted:

late post, but don't do this. distilled water is bad for you, fucks up your mineral levels (since distilled water doesn't have any)

ie soft water

and hard water can give you bladder stones kidney stones and gallstones

the health effects of hard and soft water are all statistical and probably outweighed by genetics and other aspects of diet anyway

but if you’re really worried about your water’s mineral levels i hear alex jones sells an excellent filter for your taps

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

whoa that's so much money they must be poor now right

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cat Face Joe posted:

more like poopertino lmao

more like chinartino these days lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the wayward province of cupertino has always been a part of china

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

my bitter bi rival posted:

i graduated from cupertino high more than 10 years ago and let me tell you...

assuming trump actually gets it up and running, the next census results there should be hilarious

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
xpostin from cspam

peepeepants posted:

Welp, DNAinfo Chicago who got shutdown last year by Joe Ricketts the is trying start their own thing.... as an Ethereum-based, decentralized blockchain marketplace for journalism. Ugh. Anyone know much about this Civil startup?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/544623986/bringing-neighborhood-news-back-by-block-club-chic

https://blog.joincivil.com/the-waterline-how-civil-works-8cb4f63a36ee

For that reason, Newsrooms that run on Civil’s platform will be able to accept USD and other traditional currencies via conventional credit card payments, as well as cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ether and, of course, CVL (the utility token we’re developing). CVL tokens will play a vital role in the self-governance of Newsrooms and the platform as a whole, and we expect that many members of our community will elect to use them to participate in the governance of Civil’s platform from day one.

lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
hey shaggar

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/960942690350252032

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
ground up and kept in the freezer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

who keeps coffee in a freezer

coffee or women, the decline in quality is irrelevant when its fate is to be carefully funneled up my butthole

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

elongated musk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/961001340095877120

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

it's one of those things that started as ironic and then a bunch of unstable people gravitated towards it not realizing it was a joke and some of the original ironic memelords started actually believing it and it became a real thing

recently it’s become more of an explicitly christian conspiracy theory (or rather that the conspiracy itself is supposed to be antichristian) that tangled up their desire to be persecuted w/ more antiscience from a fun new angle

this is my fav new one tho:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mrmcd posted:

Do you think Sarah would mind if we changed the thread title to "techbubb.le: laser is the sauce"?

i will ask her tonight when we both get home and let u kno

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
from cspam

zegermans posted:

Speaking of Tesla I'm at this very moment analyzing some gunk that's jamming electric motors rendering model 3s unsteerable

zegermans posted:

looks like phosphorus from somewhere is corroding the copper parts of the copper/graphite brushes that transfer energy from the stator to the rotor, and is making the whole thing fall apart.

where the phosphorus is coming from or what form its in I don't know, nor is it my job.

lol brushes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

so this is a thing now

https://twitter.com/NeitherNora/status/961048465974480898

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/MannyNoFi/status/960255317152972801

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/961332364558266368

lmao

also big lols at the pearl clutching about grade separating rail crossings (that are going to eventually be straightup required for that leg of the high speed rail line):

For David Shen, grade separation was a cause of concern. He was one of several who asked the council to remove eminent domain from consideration when designing a new alignment for the rail corridor.

"If eminent domain is triggered, it's likely the option chosen will be highly disruptive in neighborhoods during construction and the result will turn local roads into thoroughfares and will exacerbate traffic through our neighborhoods," Shen said.