Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I think interpreting it as a James Bond pun offers the best advice.

Starfinger
It’s the brand
The brand with the Midas touch
But you mustn’t touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Well that sounds fiddly as hell and a bookkeeping nightmare.

The action economy changes in general seem pretty drastic.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

It's almost like they should describe them using 'Minor, Move, Standard'.

How much did PF1 change in playtest? Did they actually change the design at all?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

The action economy changes already exist: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/unchained-rules/unchained-action-economy/

Every character gets 3 "Acts", and doing things costs 1, 2, or 3 Acts, with most things costing 1 Act

The thing that alarmed me the most is that it effectively gives monsters the ability to attack twice at 1st level. (Technically 3 times, but a -10 is so bad as to be ignorable at 1st, I think.)

And I suppose so does a wizard. I'm interested in seeing what sort of benefit the Fighter receives to compensate for this. Well, in as much as I can still muster interest for d20, at least.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

No at this point D&D is very much a genre unto itself.

What are the required traits of a D&D?

(D&D is the singular of D&D, right? A dungeon and dragon?)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm sure unnamed customers have definitely said that about DTRPG, that sounds completely legitimate.

It’s me, the person who was going to amazon to buy game books.

e: And didn’t use amazon for anything else.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Eragon is "Dragon" spelled with an E.

It’s one better than a dragon.

Please buy my new game Eungeons and Eragons. “It’s legally distinct.” TM

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are there any games being published as small booklets in the style of the very oldest D&D rulebooks? It seems a nice way to provide player guides, anyway: summarize character creation & the basic mechanics in 20 pages, add a couple character sheets at the end, and sell it for $5. Write notes in it as you please and throw it away when it gets ratty.

All of the games have seen like this are print on demand style. I don’t think it would be cost effective to carry them in store due to their niche status.

Actually, I saw Kobolds Ate My Baby in the wild once.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I remember. "That's just an anecdote. I HAVE PROOF." *Zak provides anecdote as proof*

Look that other thing didn't happen to him/in his presence, and is thus inherently less important.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Barudak posted:

I cant wait to buy a copy from my local Goodwill

I'm not sure they'd take something that appeared to be a gigantic lament configuration.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

I am unsure what a deluxe version of Microscope, a game played entirely with index cards you write on, would even look like.

Comes with an actual microscope and a miniature etching robot. Now you can really start drilling down.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, particularly in regards to Fantasy Flight's model.

This was absolutely deliberate at some point, but I feel like they eventually dove into their reputation as the company that makes games with too many card decks.

I think I could freak some squares at FFG by pointing out that you can track a value by moving a single cardboard token along a track.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ettin posted:

So just to be clear, what happened was that for the last couple years LotFP creators campaigned for a particular judge specifically so they would pack the nominations with LotFP games. This is partly why the ENnies have been talking about change recently.

I was wondering what prompted Zak to immediately jump in, but this explains it. He was deflecting blame.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

See, this perfectly describes Veins of the Earth, which is why I'm surprised to see it getting praise from multiple parties here on this forum. Did I ever post my read-through review of it?

I can sum it up as a mix of cool ideas, okay ideas, and really stupid ideas, without enough of a common theme to make them really usable in the same game and the small amount of mechanical rules that existed in there were underdeveloped and - without having tried to play it - did not seem hugely playable.

But I had a big thing written up where I made fun of the stupidest parts and I thought I may have posted it here.

You had and your conclusion was accurate. I don’t know if I would agree on what the stupidest parts were, because I didn’t own it at the time that you posted your review, but I found it not particularly playable in my readthrough as well.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

DNA Cowboys posted:

That sounds like Carcosa to me. Halloween Jack wrote it up.

I don't think this is correct. But if it is you have just identified James Raggi plagiarizing an earlier lesser known work.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Warthur posted:

I don't think it's plagiarising so much as republishing - Raggi put out a LotFP-branded edition of Carcosa after the original self-published one kicked up a stinkstorm in the OSR community.

Carcosa is not written by Raggi.
Better than Any Man was written by Raggi.
Better than Any Man (or god that crawls which is probably the original content) was written after Carcosa.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'd like to see the people here define what "plagiarism" is in terms of Tabletop RPGs,

I laid my case out perfectly succinctly. The only valid argument open to you against it is “That content isn’t in Carcosa.”

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sage Genesis posted:

So remember that DnDSports thing? That's already been changed, their new name is RPGSports.
https://rpgsports.tv/news/expanding-to-rpgsports/

An interesting new spin on, “we received a cease & desist”.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I guarantee that Hasbro was not going to let them use “D&D” like that.

It’s possible that pathfinder players wanted in though.

e: It’s a shame because calling it D&DSports is by far the smartest thing about the entire project.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 18, 2018

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

As far as I’m aware none of the “Brit wave” seem like jerks and all of their games actually have innovations, so that’s the part of old school stuff I’m interested in right now.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

spectralent posted:

I'm sympathetic, but I'm not sure who the person is who'd prefer to spend around £50-100 on glossy hardback books but not £50 plus the (admittedly undervalued) amount on a cheap tablet and PDFs, which are easier to transport and use, generally. I wouldn't claim to be rolling in it, but physical RPGs absolutely look like more of a sting cost-wise than PDFs even considering tablet costs (which aren't that high in comparison). Maybe the tablet market is hugely different in the US and it looks like more of a gulf?

A low end tablet in the US will run you about $30, cheaper than a single D&D hardback. I mean those are pretty trashy tablets but they’ll absolutely let you read PDF or ePub. I usually share out the rules to my player’s phones, which is already a sunk cost for them.

That being said paging through still seems a lot easier with a physical book.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Speaking of alt-right gaming companies, the dude who wrote Blood In The Chocolate is denouncing and separating from Legend of the Flame Princess after James Raggi turned out to be a big fan of Jordan Peterson. I have no idea how this comes as a surprise, exactly.

I expected Raggi to look cooler, which I guess speaks to the gap in my perception of heavy metal fans and reality.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

and the end of G+ is splitting people between Discord and some poo poo called MeWe.

Is this an ideological split, or is it just because some people find Discord insufficient for ttrpg gaming?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Are they finally going to ruin Sonic?!

It should be fine. Sonic is both fast and, occasionally, furious, so we’re in good hands.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Double posting to share the Gary Gygax article the guy was citing:

Given the clickbaity title, this article ends up surprisingly even handed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Impermanent posted:

i only liked D&D when I was 12 because it was the rpg most like roguelikes,

This is the thing that most editions of D&D is actually (theoretically) good at. I wish they would explain that to people.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

remusclaw posted:

I found The Turtles RPG in a house my family was renting. I played it by making up rules that seemed right with some six siders I scavenged from yahtzee and a limited understanding of how that sort of thing was supposed to go. I graduated to making my own games based on Final Fantasy and Shining Force that manifested as line paper with a hundred abbreviations written on them like cp, gp, hp etc.

My first RPG was homegrown based off of The Legend of Zelda and reflavored completely based off of what stuffed animals and blocks I had available. Once we were allowed to use the phone we ended up doing a lot more theater of the mind games.

The argument that TTRPGs shouldn't be like video games will never land with me. Video games are the form of games that are optimized for computers. TTRPGs are the form of games that are optimized for talking to a friend.

e: Now that I think of it none of my early games featured character generation, because that wasn't a thing in video games at the time.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 27, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ettin posted:

He got a lot of backlash over hiring assholes as playtesters and he's had several years to think on that, so it's not unreasonable that his opinion could be informed by past events :v:

:holymoley:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Thanlis posted:

You know, the hour Justin Alexander spent on Twitter last night arguing

Arguing against the person who was in charge of the product lines he just took over BTW.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ha, CoNE immediately up in that conversation. Followed up by some goons you may recognize, good show.

Joe Slowboat posted:

The backlash/'D&Dgate' stuff is also transparently a response to an AP-related thing, which is that a lot of new players are interested in D&D as a gay disaster teen simulator (my long-term play group is also absolutely interested in any RPG as an opportunity for this, to be clear). Tumblr had a strong community of D&D fans producing art of their characters just a little while ago (maybe still?) and it was really clear that a lot of what they got out of the concept was high drama, messy relationships, and fun domestic wizard stuff. With lots of LGBT content, diverse characters, etc.

I usually spend my time grousing about the design flaws of D&D, which left me blind to the obvious fact that something with such strong social cache would necessarily be subverted to serve the needs of the generation that came after me. (It's me, I'm the grog.) I'm glad of it though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Cecil Howe, who's itch account is Cone of Negative Energy. He's a pretty cool guy.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay. So how do I, as a hobby developer avoid devaluing ‘professional’ work when I release a product? I don’t want to detract from my own work, but it’s not going to have the level of polish that a professional product would, but at the same time that may not be apparent at the storefront.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

cross-posting because Patreon seems relevant/important to a big chunk of the hobby (and to independent arts in general)

It’s bewildering that they describe their model as unsustainable when their take is currently 5%. Seems like they could easily double or even triple that with little impact to creators. But I guess making reasonable amounts of money is unacceptable when the industry standard is to cannibalize everything you can about your users.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

I used to hang out in a big OSR discord that had a lot of people in it who liked Zak's products. Zak himself popped up in it after the G+ shutdown was announced, and I immediately left. I wonder if he's been banned from there, too.

He has been apparently.
http://www.bastionland.com/2019/02/mistakes-and-community-expectations.html

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

:laffo: Magic was one of Hasbro's few remaining profitable lines - they had an *abysmal* 2018 - and in response they're going to kill it to try and squeeze out more money. Guess we don't have to worry about Wizards literally pretending to donate to RAIN and not doing it if Hasbro kills them off.

I’d be interested to know what issues mtg had in 2018. It seems like a bunch of gaming stores will go bankrupt without magic.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

moths posted:

E: I think Mearls forwarding the emails was confirmed when Zak (posing as Mandy) posted Ettin's personal info on Tumblr along with a throwaway "I'm not doxxing because this is public, uh, somewhere."

I told a friend I wasn’t sure about this detail so it would be nice to have it confirmed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

(parts of the) OSR was born out of the reactionary reaction to 4e, and Tarnowski being one of the loudest proponents of OSR meant that he got people to follow him in much the same way that Paizo managed to convince people that their 3e knock-off was Actually True D&D

It’s always confused me that from the perspective of reading OSR blogs Tarnowski hardly existed. They never mentioned him, are those two parts of the community completely separate, or is the influence entirely one directional, or is just that Tarnowski was only ever complaining about 4e, a topic of zero interest to the blog community?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

moths posted:

Unfortunately, so much of his poo poo was behind the scenes that it's impossible to know when exactly he got names.

As far as I know, he wasn't publicly disclosing critics' real names until after the Mearls email fumble.

It might be worth a deep dive for someone who can stomach him, though.

So, either Mearls gave Zak the names or Zak already had the names and this event got him angry enough to reveal them. Thanks.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

He's bookmarking them for later.

:stonklol: This sentence reads a lot more sinister to me than it would have yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Venger Satanis is a high priest of Cthulhu and is responsible for the rule on RPG.net that you're not allowed to hex the mods with a curse.

What? How are you supposed to hex the mods then? This kind of stuff is why I post on SA instead :v: