Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
See, there was a miscommunication. What they meant was that there's an alternate timeline where their actions made sense. They just went down the wrong trouser leg of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean, it's entirely possible. But still. Dancey.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Apropos of nothing, I vaguely remember a game designer once had a tone deaf suggestion of using the inner city as the setting for a dungeon crawl. I want to say this was from something in the 90's. Does anyone else remember this, or am I going crazy?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bob Quixote posted:

Now that's a fun direction to take that idea.

Orcs, constantly walking on eggshells around each other because they know at any second one of them could end up saying the wrong thing and it would be the Christmas Jamboree Massacre all over again.

Maybe they'd even get along better with non-Orcs most of the time since they know that you can be a little more loose and friendly with a human since they won't try to rip your arm off and beat you to death with it if you accidentally interrupt them.

David Weber had something like that in his War God series (which was based on his homebrew D&D game). The orc equivalents, the hradani, have a real bad berserker rage problem. The less they like someone, the more formal and polite they get as a defense against going into their rage (or accidentally provoking the other hradani).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Has Doctor Who gotten away from Steven "never write a female character you wouldn't bang" Moffat?

Because that's kind of an example of a super fan driving things in a bad direction.

Yes. His final episode aired last year.

EDIT: Also, while he's poo poo at writing women, the super fan bit had a lot more to do with his inability to have the Doctor be wrong, ever, in any way (and how anyone who disagreed in any way with the Doctor was wrong and foolish).

JackMann fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 21, 2018

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

Like Gygax referenced the initiator of the loving Sand Creek Massacre as someone to think about when making a paladin. He was a bad person.

Some choice quotes from ol' Gary:

quote:

The old addage about nits making lice applies.

and

quote:

Chivington might have been quoted as saying "nits make lice," but he is certainly not the first one to make such an observation as it is an observable fact.

EDIT: And for those who aren't familiar with the nits and lice thing, it's a quote about why it's okay to kill babies so long as they're not white babies.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

homullus posted:

so you'll keep buying that rich dick even if the butcher is giving you the shaft

Well, you have to leave the butcher a tip.

In regards to the rape GM, this is definitely one of the best responses I've seen from a convention. That said, the organizer who made the blog post seems completely oblivious to the fact that people are going to assume the staff might protect the offender if he's in a position of authority. He keeps harping on the fact that the desk was so close, and yet no one came to the desk to make a complaint. Which is kind of sad, because this is one of the few cases where it apparently would actually have helped, instead of just being empty words to try to absolve himself of guilt.

Hopefully in the future people will be more willing to come forward now that the con staff have shown they're willing to actually eject bad actors.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, yeah. Shane Robinett is one of their shareholders. Someone found some fairly disgusting stuff he posted on Facebook. Most of it was just fairly standard "Waahhh! It's so hard to be a white Christian male" whining, but there was also one saying that the US needs to start murdering immigrants using drones with .50 caliber guns.

By Night Studios has said they will make a statement tomorrow (12/31).

EDIT: According to their website, he's "Project Lead for Technology; Partner; Investor."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
If I was running a space game where all the players were in one ship, I'd probably run ship encounters as skill challenges or dramatic tasks or what have you. Players could tell me what they were doing to solve the current issue, give bonuses based on the skills used, and encourage people to change up exactly what they were doing as the task progressed. One player might be piloting, another would use science to boost the ship's technobabble, someone fires the weapons, maybe someone uses their social skills to keep the crew from panicking, etc. Focus on what each character is doing and let that determine what the ship is doing.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's goddamned amazing. This is what he thinks will redeem himself in people's eyes. This is what he thinks is going to make him look good enough for people to forgive him. It's obvious he hasn't talked to a lot of non-white-supremacists in a long while. I showed my roommate, and he described it as the racist equivalent of a home-schooled kid talking about how drugs work.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The real issue is that he wanted to "apologize" in a way that would get people to do business with him again, but also reassure his fellow racists that he wasn't really disowning the racism. So he went as hard in on the dog whistles as possible. Hence references to the crusades, his family's owning slaves, "zionists" and Jesus not being a Jew. And basically all the rest of it. Like, he absolutely knew he was being racism, he just thought he was being subtle, and that no one but his fellow racists would pick up on it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lemon-Lime posted:

Why would you do this, instead of just having orcs, goblins, gnolls, etc. be as culturally diverse as the boring default races?

So, it's possible, especially as more pieces of fiction have expanded on those species and what traits they have. But a lot of how the "evil races" were defined early on was rooted firmly in real-world racism, so it can be difficult disentangling them from the lovely tropes they sprung from. It's a lot like using Lovecraftian fiction in that sense; it's tough (but not impossible) to use the tropes there without tripping on the racism. This isn't helped because a lot of it is from implicit assumptions racists make about the world that non-racists might not recognize. That's what makes a dog whistle a dog whistle. The people the stereotypes are of usually recognize them, since racists like to throw them into their faces, but people who have the privilege to ignore the racists don't see it.

So, to use species like orcs, goblins, gnolls, kobolds, trolls, and so on, you need to first identify any racist assumptions that are baked into their concept and discard them. For some of the less-well developed ones, that might not leave much left. But hopefully you're still left with something cool you can build on. "People on the fringes still blamed for the evil their ancestors were forced to do," "small, ignored creatures, who nevertheless bear the blood of dragons," "matriarchal warriors surviving in deserts where others fear to go." Find out what makes them cool and expand on that.

But still be careful. You might not recognize all of the stereotypes, especially if you're not part of the group being targeted. Sometimes, something that seems cool in isolation still has a racist root you need to be careful with.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Eh, I don't know. I don't think WotC has the sort of reputation that would make someone cancelled by extension. And while those of us who know the industry pretty well realize that D&D is basically coasting on its own momentum and the power of Let's Plays, I don't think the average RPG consumer knows that. Which means that an indie publisher might still think, "Hey, maybe slapping 'D&D 5e writer' on this product might move a unit or two," even if they themselves know it's not that impressive.

It comes down to this: Most publishers are not going to kick someone to the curb because they wrote for D&D, even under Mearls, and a lot of the RPG market still think of the D&D brand as having a certain level of prestige, unearned as it is.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cancellation, call-outs, and deplatforming are important tools in protecting communities from predators and shitheads. It's important to be critical when you see them, of course. It's important to make sure they're not exploited by bad actors or the overzealous. And it's important to make sure that the response is reasonable compared to the actions of the person. But that isn't a reason not to use the tools, just to be careful in how they're used.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
"Deus vult" has been a major white supremacist rallying cry for years. The Norway shooter also leaned heavily into crusades imagery and ideology when he wrote his manifesto. The crusades are like catnip for the Islamophobes of Europe and the US.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I disagree pretty strongly, Ferrinus. First, the fact that the crusades are not currently happening does not change the fact that they are a real-world rallying point and propaganda source for white supremacists. The Norway shooter leaned heavily into the crusades, so did the Christchurch shooter. Deus Vult is a major white supremacist rallying cry. The crusades are a major part of islamaphobic propaganda. To act like it doesn't matter because the crusades are historical and not happening right this minute misses the point. It's like saying having swastikas isn't a big deal because the Third Reich ended in 1945.

The Arrest card and the Ixalan Conquistadors aren't nearly as bad simply down to the fact that the game treats them as obviously bad and evil things. You can talk about whether or not they're appropriate for a kid's game, and whether or not the depiction treats the situation respectfully, sure. But it is very obviously not endorsing nor condoning police violence nor the colonization of the Americas. The Crusade card is worse than these because of the way the crusaders are depicted on the card. They're shown looking fairly heroic, and the card has nothing to indicate that there's anything wrong or untowards about them. At best, it's taking common white supremacist imagery and treating it neutrally. This makes it useful as a piece of propaganda for white supremacists, where Arrest or the conquistador cards aren't, or at least not as easily.

Again, that doesn't mean I'm endorsing the other cards. Magic is largely made by a bunch of Whitey Mc-Whitedudes, so jokes about police brutality, even ones sympathetic to the victims, can easily fall flat and feel exploitive. But "kinda tonedeaf about system racism" isn't as bad as "Looks just like a white supremacist propaganda poster."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Oh weird. Someone picked a real tone-deaf opportunity to push it then.

Probably because they're pushing a lot of Black RPG creators, and R. Talsorian is one of most famous black-owned publishers in the industry, so their titles are getting a lot of attention.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The takes on skaven here are reasonable and honestly pretty compelling. I like them a lot, and it fits into my personal interpretation of skaven.

That being said, the argument is weakened by the fact that we never actually see that. There are no good skaven, so far as I'm aware. There are no examples of "Here's what skaven would be if they weren't raised in fascist hellworld." It's similar to the issue with the Imperium in 40K. In that setting, you never see an example of a human society surviving without fascism, so it makes it easy to come to the conclusion that fascism is necessary to survival. In this, you never see an example of skaven not being fascist and horrible, so it becomes easy to come to the conclusion that fascism is inherent to the nature of skaven.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m imagining this version of To Kill a Mockingbird and it owns, I gotta tell you.

Grendel decided that instead of tearing revellers apart, he would take Hrothgar to court. He won, and now monsters come to him when they need a public defender.

quote:

Her stooped frame was silhouetted in the doorframe of my office. Black scales glittered in the torchlight, and gray, stringy hair clung to her skin.

She was beautiful.

"Please," she said. "It's Humbaba, my brother. They say he killed all those people, but he's a good boy, and I just know that awful Gilgamesh is just looking for a reason-"

"It's okay," I interrupted. "Just take it easy. I'm going to help. Tell me everything."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but I think it's optimistic to assume any of that factored into her departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Josef bugman posted:

When does an explanation turn into an excuse.

Does it always differ from person to person? Or is it something we all have to find ourselves?

So, depends on how you mean excuse. Properly, an excuse is just that. It excuses you. It explains why whatever happened was not your fault. Sometimes an excuse is perfectly valid. "I was legally parked and the other car crashed into me" is an excuse. It's a good one (assuming it's true) because it's you're clearly not responsible for the crash.

An explanation is just a "here's why this has happened." It may or may not absolve you of wrongdoing. This can be part of an apology if it accepts fault, or simply be a recounting if events.

When people hear excuse, they usually think of poor excuses. These either do not actually absolve you ("I crashed into him because I was on my phone!") or come at a time when excuses of any sort are not appropriate ("We need to get her to a hospital!" "Hey, this crash wasn't my fault!").

So I think what you're really looking for is when does a bad excuse become a good excuse. That's when A) it's appropriate to address fault, and B) when the excuse actually clears the person of wrongdoing.